PDA

View Full Version : Princeton University evacuated after bomb threat

Little-Acorn
06-11-2013, 10:48 AM
What's with all the bombing activity today? At least one airport has been bombed, bomb threats in several other places, etc.

Here's another.

Ummm, I'm a little curious about the instruction on the website to "evacuate and go home".

When I was there, virtually all undergraduates lived in dorms on campus. You had to get special permission to live off-campus, as Imee Marcos did - she had armed guards, which the students kept protesting, so they move off-campus.

"Home" *is* the campus. Many students came from places far away, as I did. "Go home" means a 3,000-mile plane flight for me. And a number of students were from other countries.

When I see an instruction like "evacuate the campus and go home", I wonder if the website's been hacked and somebody put a hoax message there. But other sources seem to be confirming that there really has been a bomb threat.

Maybe this was directed only at univerity employees. It says "unless directed by your supervisor". Univ students there don't have supervisors. Academic advisors, yes, but you don't see them that often.

Go figure.

-----------------------------------------

http://www.princeton.edu/main/news/archive/S37/09/60K78/index.xml?section=topstories

BOMB THREAT ON CAMPUS; evacuate immediately

Posted June 11, 2013; 10:26 a.m.

by Office of Communications

There has been a bomb threat to multiple unspecified campus buildings. Please evacuate the campus and all University offices immediately and go home unless otherwise directed by your supervisor. Public Safety officers and Princeton Police will direct drivers leaving the campus and those without cars will be directed to evacuation sites. You will receive an update later today. Do not return to campus for any reason until advised otherwise.

------------------------------------------------

http://www.cnn.com/2013/06/11/us/new-jersey-princeton-evacuation/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

Princeton University evacuated after bomb threat

By Kristina Sgueglia, CNN
updated 11:04 AM EDT, Tue June 11, 2013

(CNN) -- Princeton University on Tuesday morning ordered the evacuation of its campus after "a bomb threat to multiple unspecified campus buildings," the school said on its website.

Princeton police dispatcher Kenneth Bruvik told CNN that the campus was being evacuated because of an "emergency," but declined to give details.

"Please evacuate the campus and all university offices immediately and go home unless otherwise directed by your supervisor," the school's website message said. "... Do not return to campus for any reason until advised otherwise."

Little-Acorn
06-11-2013, 11:22 AM
Yup, they've updated the Princeton website. Now it says only faculty and staff are supposed to "go home". Students are supposed to go to various buildings elsewhere in the town.

Good luck. There's more than 3,000 of them, and Princeton isn't a very big town.