PDA

View Full Version : An Amish-Mennonite blend?

tailfins
06-11-2013, 11:42 AM
The Amish worship I wanted to visit this week was in their week "off". They have worship every other week, so we visited this congregation. Some of their deacons and families are EX Old Order Amish. The large family that invited us to their house for lunch were apparently shunned for being too involved in the "English" world. He is apparently a very hard worker and very detail oriented, eventually being promoted to Chief Operating Officer of the construction/ real estate development company he works for. Below is an image of their church bulletin showing their name as an Amish-Mennonite Church.

Click to enlarge, if desired.

tailfins
06-11-2013, 11:43 AM
Accidental duplicate Post .....

Little-Acorn
06-11-2013, 11:58 AM
Isn't Amish a spinoff of Mennonite? In 1693 or so, some of the Mennonites had disagreements they couldn't resolve, and a guy named Jacob Amman split off to form a group of his own, which became known as the Amish, or "Amish Mennonites". They expanded and branched further, from there. But they still have similarities, and many common interests.

Something like that. Anyone else have info on this?

Nukeman
06-11-2013, 12:19 PM
Isn't Amish a spinoff of Mennonite? In 1693 or so, some of the Mennonites had disagreements they couldn't resolve, and a guy named Jacob Amman split off to form a group of his own, which became known as the Amish, or "Amish Mennonites". They expanded and branched further, from there. But they still have similarities, and many common interests.

Something like that. Anyone else have info on this?Yep.. Mennonite came first than the Amish. Some Amish felt the Mennonite were too lax and needed to be more strict.. Live around a large group of them and this is what they say!!

BillyBob
06-11-2013, 03:49 PM
Amish girls are cute.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_le91x8oVky1qe0wclo1_400.jpg

Marcus Aurelius
06-11-2013, 04:01 PM
Amish girls are cute.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_le91x8oVky1qe0wclo1_400.jpg

those women are Mennonite, not Amish. Note the buttons, which Amish women do not wear because the could be considered 'proud'.

BillyBob
06-11-2013, 04:03 PM
those women are Mennonite, not Amish. Note the buttons, which Amish women do not wear because the could be considered 'proud'.

Thanks for the clarification. They're still cute.

Marcus Aurelius
06-11-2013, 04:08 PM
Thanks for the clarification. They're still cute.

i think Hell just froze over... we agree on something.

Don't worry, I'm sure it will pass.

BillyBob
06-11-2013, 04:26 PM
i think Hell just froze over... we agree on something.

Don't worry, I'm sure it will pass.

We agree on a great many things, we're just too busy fighting to acknowledge it.

Eh....nevermind.