PDA

View Full Version : Majority Views NSA Phone Tracking as Acceptable Anti-terror Tactic

jimnyc
06-11-2013, 11:51 AM
I was all for monitoring lines of known terrorists or who they called. I had no issue when they did certain things, with the courts involved, in order to properly monitor and investigate potential terrorist activity. I'm willing to give them a LOT of leeway when on active cases with a little 'bite' to their case and what they're investigating. But to just capture it ALL, and then store all of this as well, that's going too far. And yes, there's a HUGE difference between monitoring and investigating things you already have proof an intel on, as opposed to just capturing EVERYTHING. I never cared for polls with small sample sizes, but these 1,000 people either aren't up to date with current news, were mislead with the questioning, or they are just idiots.

Majority Views NSA Phone Tracking as Acceptable Anti-terror TacticA majority of Americans – 56% – say the National Security Agency’s (NSA) program tracking the telephone records of millions of Americans is an acceptable way for the government to investigate terrorism, though a substantial minority – 41% – say it is unacceptable. And while the public is more evenly divided over the government’s monitoring of email and other online activities to prevent possible terrorism, these views are largely unchanged since 2002, shortly after the 9/11 terrorist attacks.

The latest national survey by the Pew Research Center and The Washington Post, conducted June 6-9 among 1,004 adults, finds no indications that last week’s revelations of the government’s collection of phone records and internet data have altered fundamental public views about the tradeoff between investigating possible terrorism and protecting personal privacy.

Currently 62% say it is more important for the federal government to investigate possible terrorist threats, even if that intrudes on personal privacy. Just 34% say it is more important for the government not to intrude on personal privacy, even if that limits its ability to investigate possible terrorist threats.

These opinions have changed little since an ABC News/Washington Post survey in January 2006. Currently, there are only modest partisan differences in these opinions: 69% of Democrats say it is more important for the government to investigate terrorist threats, even at the expense of personal privacy, as do 62% of Republicans and 59% of independents.

Rest here - http://www.people-press.org/2013/06/10/majority-views-nsa-phone-tracking-as-acceptable-anti-terror-tactic/

fj1200
06-11-2013, 01:42 PM
How about a poll where they combine the NSA program with IRS abuses. Maybe the light would turn on for some.

Robert A Whit
06-11-2013, 04:11 PM
How about a poll where they combine the NSA program with IRS abuses. Maybe the light would turn on for some.

A republican took credit for the IRS abuses.

fj1200
06-11-2013, 04:12 PM
A republican took credit for the IRS abuses.

And?

Nevertheless, the unnamed one?

Cummings: Unnamed ‘conservative Republican’ behind IRS abuse (http://dailycaller.com/2013/06/11/cummings-unnamed-conservative-republican-behind-irs-abuse/)

aboutime
06-11-2013, 04:26 PM
Until Someone discloses the IMAGINARY Republican in the IRS who took all the blame.
That Congressman Cummings...being a Democrat, and good friend of the OBUMMER...must insist
the INVESTIGATION into the IRS is over.
He knows where all of the real blame will eventually fall. And it won't be on BUSH, or any other Republican.

Cummnings is just trying to save his LYING BUDDY OBAMA. Much like another congressman SAVED the island of GUAM!

Missileman
06-11-2013, 06:12 PM
The war on terror is over (/cough) ...the war on us is still in full swing.

jafar00
06-11-2013, 10:04 PM
You can have your NSA, FBI, CIA, TSA and [insert inane american acronym here].

The right to privacy should be a right that is non negotiable. I'm pretty sure all of this erosion of rights is unconstitutional to the point that your constitution has been reduced to a piece of paper that would now be more useful as a wrapper for fish and chips.

fj1200
06-11-2013, 10:15 PM
You can have your NSA, FBI, CIA, TSA and [insert inane american acronym here].

The right to privacy should be a right that is non negotiable. I'm pretty sure all of this erosion of rights is unconstitutional to the point that your constitution has been reduced to a piece of paper that would now be more useful as a wrapper for fish and chips.

There is no right to privacy; would be damn near impossible to guarantee anyway but the right to be free of unreasonable search and seizure should be an easy one.