PDA

View Full Version : Tupanzee Branch ?!?!?

tailfins
06-12-2013, 07:20 AM
Am I the only one with a GPS that says to cross "Tupanzee" (rhymes with Chimpanzee) Branch when traveling NYC bypass I-287 in its entirety? Actually, that's not the worst of it. The GPS almost insists I stay on I-95. Is I-287 a good choice when traveling from Philly to Boston? And yes I (and Abe Lincoln [a president the toll collector knows very well]) knows it's Tappan Zee Bridge.

Jeff
06-12-2013, 07:33 AM
Am I the only one with a GPS that says to cross "Tupanzee" (rhymes with Chimpanzee) Branch when traveling NYC bypass I-287 in its entirety? Actually, that's not the worst of it. The GPS almost insists I stay on I-95. Is I-287 a good choice when traveling from Philly to Boston? And yes I (and Abe Lincoln [a president the toll collector knows very well]) knows it's Tappan Zee Bridge.

Coming up 81 that is how I use to go , it looks a bit out of the way but actually saves a lot of time but without looking at a map it seems coming from Philly you would be best off going straight up 95 then in Connecticut hit 91 ( i think it has been a while ) run that up to the pike in Mass and head east right into Boston

tailfins
06-12-2013, 07:41 AM
Coming up 81 that is how I use to go , it looks a bit out of the way but actually saves a lot of time but without looking at a map it seems coming from Philly you would be best off going straight up 95 then in Connecticut hit 91 ( i think it has been a while ) run that up to the pike in Mass and head east right into Boston

Does that mean it's worth biting the bullet in spite of the George Washington Bridge, crossing Manhattan and the Bronx? 91 wasn't an option last trip because we had to stop in Providence.

Abbey Marie
06-12-2013, 12:37 PM
We do this trip once or twice a year. Going northbound/eastbound, if you take the offshoot from the NJ Turnpike (I think it's Exit 46) to the GW bridge, you avoid a boatload of traffic. It's never crowded, and it takes you right up to the toll booths. You can see all the people in heavy traffic to your left. You take the exit pretty far north on the tpk. Our GPS actually suggests it. Then we take the Deegan, the Cross County, and the Merritt, etc.