PDA

View Full Version : Hagel Calls For Special Envoy To Middle East

Psychoblues
06-05-2007, 01:45 AM
It's more complicated than just killing Iraqi's before they kill themselves.

U.S. Sen. Chuck Hagel, R-Neb., says President Bush needs to turn his attention to brokering a solution to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.

Chuck HagelHagel's comments came Monday following his tour last week of Israel, Lebanon, Jordan and Italy.

Hagel said the only way to broker a peaceful resolution in the Middle East region is to send a special envoy to work on the issue day after day.

"You can't put the secretary of state on a plane every two months and go in for a day or two and hold a news conference and meet with the leaders and so, 'OK, I hope you make progress, and I'll be back in two or three months,'" Hagel said. "It won't work that way."

Hagel, a senior member of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, said the United States is "so completely consumed with Iraq" that it has lost sight of other important issues in the Middle East.

"I think we took our eye off the ball on leading negotiations in trying to find the new center of gravity for the Israeli-Palestinian issue," Hagel said.

The Nebraska senator said he met with Jordan's King Abdullah II, during which Abdullah stressed that the United States has a crucial role in advancing Israeli-Palestinian peacemaking.

"King Abdullah said to us when we were with him in Jordan ... that the Number One issue in the Middle East ... is the Israel-Palestinian conflict," Hagel said.

The United States should be taking a lead role in backing the United Nation's call for an independent Palestinian state, Hagel said.

"Until we are able to make some progress there, the pressure that is on all of the Arab leaders ... is not going to be extinguished," Hagel said. "That puts the Jordanian king and others who are allies of United States in a very stressed situation."

More: http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=1216&u_sid=2396170

Senator Hagel is onto something I think!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!??!

theHawk
06-05-2007, 08:09 AM
Oh, so we need someone there everyday to tell the Palestinians that Israel is a "role model" for democracy. LOL what a crock of shit.
The only way peace will ever be achieved there is if we convince the Israelis to give up Zionism and stop exercising racist policies. Even then I doubt there'd be peace.

Only idiots like you would believe that a few men in monkey suits shaking hands on the White House lawn is going to achieve peace in the middle east.

Doniston
06-05-2007, 11:38 AM
It's more complicated than just killing Iraqi's before they kill themselves.

U.S. Sen. Chuck Hagel, R-Neb., says President Bush needs to turn his attention to brokering a solution to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.

Chuck HagelHagel's comments came Monday following his tour last week of Israel, Lebanon, Jordan and Italy.

Hagel said the only way to broker a peaceful resolution in the Middle East region is to send a special envoy to work on the issue day after day.

"You can't put the secretary of state on a plane every two months and go in for a day or two and hold a news conference and meet with the leaders and so, 'OK, I hope you make progress, and I'll be back in two or three months,'" Hagel said. "It won't work that way."

Hagel, a senior member of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, said the United States is "so completely consumed with Iraq" that it has lost sight of other important issues in the Middle East.

"I think we took our eye off the ball on leading negotiations in trying to find the new center of gravity for the Israeli-Palestinian issue," Hagel said.

The Nebraska senator said he met with Jordan's King Abdullah II, during which Abdullah stressed that the United States has a crucial role in advancing Israeli-Palestinian peacemaking.

"King Abdullah said to us when we were with him in Jordan ... that the Number One issue in the Middle East ... is the Israel-Palestinian conflict," Hagel said.

The United States should be taking a lead role in backing the United Nation's call for an independent Palestinian state, Hagel said.

"Until we are able to make some progress there, the pressure that is on all of the Arab leaders ... is not going to be extinguished," Hagel said. "That puts the Jordanian king and others who are allies of United States in a very stressed situation."

More: http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=1216&u_sid=2396170

Senator Hagel is onto something I think!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!??! At this point, he is the single Republican Cadidate that I could vote for, "IF" he decides to run. he could even be a viable third party (independant) candidate

Psychoblues
06-07-2007, 07:15 AM
So I can count you in for the Hagel/Paul '08 ticket?

At this point, he is the single Republican Cadidate that I could vote for, "IF" he decides to run. he could even be a viable third party (independant) candidate

Whether you agree or not, the liberals have a lock on the '08 election. Considering the mess as being left by the rEpublicans, they have a very big and important job to do and I am confident that only a liberal can do it.

Doniston
06-07-2007, 11:48 AM
So I can count you in for the Hagel/Paul '08 ticket?

Whether you agree or not, the liberals have a lock on the '08 election. Considering the mess as being left by the rEpublicans, they have a very big and important job to do and I am confident that only a liberal can do it. I simply don't know anout Paul. but Considering that very same Mess you are speaking of, I think it is finally possible for a middle of the roader to pick up the necessary votes from both major parties, together with votes from indepenents like me to gain the presidency.

Dilloduck
06-07-2007, 12:17 PM
I simply don't know anout Paul. but Considering that very same Mess you are speaking of, I think it is finally possible for a middle of the roader to pick up the necessary votes from both major parties, together with votes from indepenents like me to gain the presidency.

What in the hell does a "middle of the roader" stand for ?

Psychoblues
06-21-2007, 03:00 AM
A 'centrist" for lack of a better word, dd.

What in the hell does a "middle of the roader" stand for ?

Americans have been voting for "centrists' for about 75 years now. Not new but still shiney, if you know what I mean.