PDA

View Full Version : Obama trip to Africa June 26 could cost $60 to $100 million

Little-Acorn
06-14-2013, 10:18 AM
Remind me again, what the downside to the United States would be, if Obama simply cancelled the trip due to excessive cost? How, exactly, would our country be worse off?

Alternatively, could we save some money if we made the trip one-way? The article mentions long-term accommodations available on Robben Island.

That alone might make the expenditure worth it.

-----------------------------------------

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/obamas-trip-to-africa-poses-special-challenges-enormous-costs/2013/06/13/29d9270a-cd29-11e2-8845-d970ccb04497_print.html

Document: Major resources needed for Obama Africa trip

By Carol D. Leonnig and David Nakamura
Published: June 13

When President Obama makes his first extended trip to sub-Saharan Africa this month, the federal agencies charged with keeping him safe won’t be taking any chances.

Hundreds of U.S. Secret Service agents will be dispatched to secure facilities in Senegal, South Africa and Tanzania. A Navy aircraft carrier or amphibious ship, with a fully staffed medical trauma center, will be stationed offshore in case of an emergency.

Military cargo planes will airlift in 56 support vehicles, including 14 limousines and three trucks loaded with sheets of bullet*proof glass to cover the windows of the hotels where the first family will stay. Fighter jets will fly in shifts, giving 24-hour coverage over the president’s airspace, so they can intervene quickly if an errant plane gets too close.

The elaborate security provisions — which will cost the government tens of millions of dollars — are outlined in a confidential internal planning document obtained by The Washington Post. While the preparations appear to be in line with similar travels in the past, the document offers an unusual glimpse into the colossal efforts to protect the U.S. commander in chief on trips abroad.

The first family is making back-to-back stops from June 26 to July 3 in three countries where U.S. officials are providing nearly all the resources, rather than depending heavily on local police forces, military authorities or hospitals for assistance.

The president and first lady had also planned to take a Tanzanian safari as part of the trip, which would have required the president’s special counterassault team to carry sniper rifles with high-caliber rounds that could neutralize cheetahs, lions or other animals if they became a threat, according to the planning document.

But officials said Thursday that the safari had been canceled in favor of a trip to Robben Island off the coast of Cape Town, South Africa, where Nelson Mandela was held as a political prisoner.

Internal administration documents circulated in April show that the Obama family was scheduled to go to both Robben Island and the safari park, according to a person familiar with the plans.

Many details about foreign presidential trips are classified for national security reasons, and there is little public information about overall costs. A report from the Government Accountability Office found that Clinton’s 1998 trip to six African nations cost the U.S. government at least $42.7 million.

Obama’s trip could cost the federal government $60 million to $100 million based on the costs of similar African trips in recent years, according to one person familiar with the journey, who was not authorized to speak for attribution.

gabosaurus
06-14-2013, 11:00 AM
Presidential trips abroad have always been expensive. What is your point?

jimnyc
06-14-2013, 11:07 AM

I think the current economy should have them being a tad wiser, cutting back on vacations and such. It's not a good image when grade school kids are told they can't visit the White House, and then read in the paper about excessive spending. If it's government related only, I suppose they have to do what they have to do, but try to save. The LEAST they can do is put a halt to the never ending vacations by Michelle and the kids, which costs mega money with the people they bring with them and then the secret service detail and such. Being first lady isn't an invitation to go on as many vacations as possible.

gabosaurus
06-14-2013, 11:23 AM
I don't see this trip being described as a vacation.

Voted4Reagan
06-14-2013, 11:36 AM

There are people in this country that could benefit from that money.

People that lost their homes in Hurricane Sandy and are still waiting for the government to do something 9 months later.

jimnyc
06-14-2013, 11:36 AM

I didn't say that about this specific travel. I think in this one they can cut a tad bit of this out:

Hundreds of U.S. Secret Service agents will be dispatched to secure facilities in Senegal, South Africa and Tanzania. A Navy aircraft carrier or amphibious ship, with a fully staffed medical trauma center, will be stationed offshore in case of an emergency.

Military cargo planes will airlift in 56 support vehicles, including 14 limousines and three trucks loaded with sheets of bullet*proof glass to cover the windows of the hotels where the first family will stay. Fighter jets will fly in shifts, giving 24-hour coverage over the president’s airspace, so they can intervene quickly if an errant plane gets too close.

But if they refuse too, THEN I am saying they should at least cut out Michelle's vacations. I read an article on how many she has taken and what it cost taxpayers - and it was HUGE. I'll have to dig to find it.

Thunderknuckles
06-14-2013, 11:37 AM
Back in the day it was Africa that had to secure itself from a Presidential visit. Especially if that President was Teddy Roosevelt :laugh:

fj1200
06-14-2013, 01:12 PM
Remind me again, what the downside to the United States would be, if Obama simply cancelled the trip due to excessive cost? How, exactly, would our country be worse off?

A sign of weakness that the greatest country in the world can't/won't afford to send its leader on a diplomatic trip. Akin to Carter sitting around in the White House wearing a sweater. We're better than that no matter the class of the current occupant.

Little-Acorn
06-14-2013, 01:13 PM
I think the current economy should have them being a tad wiser, cutting back on vacations and such. It's not a good image when grade school kids are told they can't visit the White House, and then read in the paper about excessive spending. If it's government related only, I suppose they have to do what they have to do, but try to save. The LEAST they can do is put a halt to the never ending vacations by Michelle and the kids, which costs mega money with the people they bring with them and then the secret service detail and such. Being first lady isn't an invitation to go on as many vacations as possible.

Please don't feed the trolls.

fj1200
06-14-2013, 01:14 PM
Please don't feed the trolls.

How was she trolling?

Little-Acorn
06-14-2013, 01:14 PM
A sign of weakness that the greatest country in the world can't/won't afford to send its leader on a diplomatic trip.

We can cure that by reducing spending and getting our financial house in order.

Until then, cancel next-to-useless trips like this one.

Robert A Whit
06-14-2013, 01:22 PM

Not this expensive. Nor do they normally tie up so many people to allow him a vacation.

Bear in mind he can't afford the white house tours but affords all his perks.

Marcus Aurelius
06-14-2013, 01:23 PM
There are people in this country that could benefit from that money.

People that lost their homes in Hurricane Sandy and are still waiting for the government to do something 9 months later.

Sandy victims are not allowed to ask the federal government for assistance, lest they look like their lips are surgically attached to Obama's ass, remember?

Robert A Whit
06-14-2013, 01:28 PM
http://www.debatepolicy.com/images/debate_policy/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by gabosaurus http://www.debatepolicy.com/images/debate_policy/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?p=646683#post646683)

I didn't say that about this specific travel. I think in this one they can cut a tad bit of this out:

But if they refuse too, THEN I am saying they should at least cut out Michelle's vacations. I read an article on how many she has taken and what it cost taxpayers - and it was HUGE. I'll have to dig to find it.

Can it really ber that Obama is so despised in Africa he needs all of that for a vacation?

fj1200
06-14-2013, 01:34 PM

Cancelling this trip won't cure anything. It's a drop in the bucket.

aboutime
06-14-2013, 02:39 PM
Does anyone happen to know HOW we can help Obama make this his LAST....ONE WAY TRIP?

If that happens, and he stays in Africa. I'll happily overlook the expense, as long as we get AIR FORCE ONE back.

(and...of course. Send Joe Biden back to his favorite SEVEN-ELEVEN in Delaware. They need somebody to Mop the floor)

Robert A Whit
06-14-2013, 02:57 PM
http://www.debatepolicy.com/images/debate_policy/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Little-Acorn http://www.debatepolicy.com/images/debate_policy/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?p=646709#post646709)

Your defense of Obama is noted.

So, was the white house tours that he cancelled a "drop in the bucket?"

fj1200
06-14-2013, 03:00 PM
Your defense of Obama is noted.

It helps us all to not read what isn't there.

So, was the white house tours that he cancelled a "drop in the bucket?"

Yes. It's pretty sad when the people that pay for the WH can't even go on a tour.

Marcus Aurelius
06-14-2013, 03:03 PM
Post #14... someone PLEASE show Robert how to use the QUOTE feature properly.

jimnyc
06-14-2013, 05:02 PM

Yes, that's true. But the thought that it's just a drop in the bucket, with every little earmark and other spending, is what has gotten us where we are now. Cutting has to start somewhere, and I think it needs to start with Washington. This trip can be done with a 1/3 of the cost. Michelle can stop her vacations. It's not going to fix the deficit, but it IS millions and millions saved - and that's just addressing TWO people. Now if they cut costs with what Congress spends/abuses, it'll make a small dent. What was it Michelle said in 2008? Someone is going to have to give up a piece of their pie so others can have more?

jimnyc
06-14-2013, 05:06 PM
Post #14... someone PLEASE show Robert how to use the QUOTE feature properly.

Either one understands it or they don't.

If you want to quote ONE person, simply hit "reply with quote" under their post. If multiple posts, first hit the MULTIQUOTE button on the first post, or posts, then click reply with quote on the last post you are quoting, and now all of them will come up properly quoted. Can't get any simpler.

Additional help:

http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?36404-Quoting-Posts

gabosaurus
06-14-2013, 06:15 PM
I get it... What was right for past presidents is now inappropriate for the Obama administration.
Continuing sour grapes from electoral losers. :rolleyes:

jimnyc
06-14-2013, 06:16 PM
I get it... What was right for past presidents is now inappropriate for the Obama administration.
Continuing sour grapes from electoral losers. :rolleyes:

I'd have said the same about any president with similar economical circumstances. And definitely as much of a first lady that spends more in a year on vacations than a typical family spends in their entire lives.

Voted4Reagan
06-14-2013, 06:52 PM

The First step in filling a bucket is the FIRST DROP.

aboutime
06-14-2013, 07:57 PM
But every good bucket should be filled with....Obama5135 Pies!

fj1200
06-14-2013, 09:34 PM
The First step in filling a bucket is the FIRST DROP.

I think the forest and the trees are appropriate here.