PDA

View Full Version : Campus police's new recommended method for warding off attackers

Little-Acorn
06-14-2013, 02:34 PM
At last, a real method for warding off attackers in an area where your gun rights are banned.

It's such a pleasure seeing a professional at work!

------------------------------------------

http://dailycaller.com/2013/06/06/campus-bans-guns-tells-people-to-nod-at-attackers

Campus bans guns, tells people to nod at attackers

6:18 PM 06/06/2013
Robby Soave
Reporter, The Daily Caller News Foundation

In lieu of guns, people who find themselves in dangerous situations at or near the University of Arkansas at Little Rock should defend themselves by glancing and nodding, said a university safety expert.

Earlier this year, the Arkansas legislature approved a concealed carry law, but gave school administrators permission to override the law and ban guns on campuses. Most Arkansas universities, including the University of Arkansas and Arkansas State University, opted to prohibit concealed carry, according to The College Fix.

But disarmed faculty and staff members are vulnerable to attack when traveling to and from campus, according to a chain of emails sent between UALR staff members, one of whom was assaulted by three teenagers on his way to class.

“I had not gone very far before I was attacked from behind by two of them and received a number of blows to the back of my head,” wrote the faculty member, a UALR professor of biology, in an e-mail. “Given the proximity to this campus and the fact that a number of our students, faculty and staff walk through this very same area on both a daily and nightly basis I felt it prudent to share this info with you and to advise you to be on your guard while in the vicinity.”

Another faculty remember responded to the email saying that a student had been attacked in the same area.

Sharon Houlette, a detective with the UALR Department of Public Safety, responded to the thread with advice for avoiding being attacked, which included a suggestion to “glance or nod” at possible attackers.

“A glance or a nod will help you show anyone who might think that you are not paying attention, and you are aware of their presence,” she wrote.

Marcus Aurelius
06-14-2013, 02:52 PM
About as useful as duck and cover.

cadet
06-14-2013, 02:54 PM
Ours are called campus safety. Nothing ever happens at my school though, so they really don't care. They'll literly give you ride homes from parties if you're too drunk.

gabosaurus
06-14-2013, 04:31 PM
When I was in college, we had an excellent safety plan. It was called "campus security."
Meaning if you had a gun on campus, you were up to no good and needed to be arrested.

When I was an undergraduate, an armed intruder confronted a woman and wanted her purse. She said the purse was more valuable to her than her money, so could she give him just the money. He said yes. So she pulled out of some pepper spray and blasted him. :laugh: