PDA

View Full Version : Blockbuster summer movies anyone?

gabosaurus
06-15-2013, 11:22 AM
My husband and I are going to the advance showing of World War Z on Wednesday. I loved the book (one of very few non-fiction books I enjoyed reading), so I am wary of how the movie will distort it. But my sister has seen it and assures me that I will like it.

Any blockbuster summer films you are looking forward to?

hjmick
06-15-2013, 03:53 PM
Actually, Max Brooks' World War Z is a work of fiction, not non-fiction.

This is a movie I will probably skip simply because it appears as if they strayed from the book far too much in an effort to make it some sort of "hero" vehicle for Brad Pitt.

gabosaurus
06-15-2013, 04:21 PM
My typing mistake. It is actually one of the few fiction works I enjoyed reading.
I am hoping the film will be good. If not, I will enjoy the opulence of being at a Hollywood movie premiere.

hjmick
06-15-2013, 04:34 PM
I read his Zombie Survival Guide Prior to WWZ, it was very entertaining. It took me two attempts to get into WWZ, but the second one took and I enjoyed it immensely. I liked the approach he took, the survivor interview style. This is why I find the approach to the film so disappointing. It would have worked in a movie format. Do the interviews, show flashbacks...

I just don't think they needed to go with the whole solo hero approach...

Anyway, enjoy the film and the experience. Should be fun, I know I enjoyed the Crimson Tide premiere when I went...

gabosaurus
06-15-2013, 04:45 PM
I was just the opposite. I read Zombie Survival Guide after WWZ and thought it paled in comparison.
I don't normally attend movie premieres, but I wanted to see this one. Sometimes it helps to have relatives in high places. :cool:

Trigg
06-15-2013, 04:46 PM
hubby is looking forward to going to Superman. I read World War Z and I doubt I go see the movie since it honestly looks nothing like the book.

I may rent it in a few months, since I love Brad Pitt though ;)

gabosaurus
06-15-2013, 04:55 PM
My sister works at Paramount and has seen Brad Pitt more than a few times. She says he is nowhere as attractive as he once was.

Trigg
06-15-2013, 05:02 PM
My sister works at Paramount and has seen Brad Pitt more than a few times. She says he is nowhere as attractive as he once was.

I'd have to see him in person to make that judgement, for now he's just behind Hugh Jackman in my heartthrob book :washmachine: