PDA

View Full Version : H1B/B1 sweatshops

tailfins
06-16-2013, 02:24 PM
I have already experienced "splash over" from this phenomenon. I worked for a Russian run company that had me sign a worldwide non-compete in the Information Technology field for two years after leaving their company. Fortunately that was considered illegal restraint of trade under Georgia law, entitling me to $15,000 in damages. I gave them 72 hours to void all non-compete expectations in writing before filing a $15,000 small claims suit against them (the GA maximum for small claims). They complied.

Many workers allege they're not paid in between jobs at client sites, though such "benching" without pay isn't allowed either. In other cases, companies claim they're employing people in low-salary regions when they're actually working in high-wage areas, in violation of rules requiring payment of the region's prevailing wage.

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/09_41/b4150034732629.htm

tailfins
06-16-2013, 02:50 PM
Another quote on this. Another thing that can happen is H1B workers setting the tone for interaction with managers. What this means is an obedient, compliant, non-questioning posture be taken. It often means doing things the wrong, error producing way because you've been told to.

U.S. companies usually don't know—and don't press to find out—which body shops are tapped to support their tech operations. The result is that prominent American companies can easily end up doing business with tech service outfits that violate visa laws.