PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars, LOTR, Godfather, Pirates, Indiana Jones, Alien(s), Star Trek or Potter?

Abbey Marie
06-05-2007, 04:03 PM
I realize this isn't a comprehensive list, but work with me anyway.

Which series is your favorite? Explaining why would be great!

chum43
06-05-2007, 04:08 PM
if you could add a series of ice picks to the rectum I would vote for that... or is this a list of the most overrated film series of all time?

seriously though, the indiana jones series isn't too bad so that gets my vote... I'd say thats the only series on the list that is really watchable, but my god, talk about a comprehensive list of shit.

Abbey Marie
06-05-2007, 04:13 PM
if you could add a series of ice picks to the rectum I would vote for that... or is this a list of the most overrated film series of all time?

seriously though, the indiana jones series isn't too bad so that gets my vote... I'd say thats the only series on the list that is really watchable, but my god, talk about a comprehensive list of shit.

Thanks for a great addition to the thread. :rolleyes:

chum43
06-05-2007, 04:16 PM
Thanks for a great addition to the thread. :rolleyes:

sorry i just detest big hollywood crapfest series, and I never pass up the oppurtunity to lash out on them... specially these godfather freaks, the godfather is one of the worst movies I've ever seen, at least the rest are a lot of fun for kids and nostalgia... but the godfather just sucks.

OCA
06-05-2007, 04:18 PM
The Godfather sucks? Yeah lol, that is why its considered one of the greatest films of all time, all 3 of them.

You are probably a Gigli fan.

OCA
06-05-2007, 04:20 PM
sorry i just detest big hollywood crapfest series, and I never pass up the oppurtunity to lash out on them... specially these godfather freaks, the godfather is one of the worst movies I've ever seen, at least the rest are a lot of fun for kids and nostalgia... but the godfather just sucks.

Oh just saw this......lol an independent film snob. Probably the worst channel on Direct TV is the Sundance channel.

chum43
06-05-2007, 04:25 PM
Oh just saw this......lol an independent film snob. Probably the worst channel on Direct TV is the Sundance channel.

oooooh.... ok, first of all I hate independent film snobs as much as I hate big hollywood film idiots... I actually have a taste in films that is closer to what people would call average, sex, violence, blood, cigarettes, fart jokes, I love that stuff... so please don't call me an independent film snob, I may be snobbish when it comes to movies I hate, but I love movies that are just as "illigitemate" to indie snobs as the movies I hate...

and just because everyone loves a movie doesn't mean everyone isn't wrong in my opinion, it is just my opinion, like whatever movies you want, I love cinema and I just think the godfather is one of the worst movies I've ever seen, i'm sorry if I portray that in a snobby way, but I promise it's just for effect, i don't think any less of you if you love the godfather, I just don't see why.

and I agree about sundance.

OCA
06-05-2007, 04:42 PM
oooooh.... ok, first of all I hate independent film snobs as much as I hate big hollywood film idiots... I actually have a taste in films that is closer to what people would call average, sex, violence, blood, cigarettes, fart jokes, I love that stuff... so please don't call me an independent film snob, I may be snobbish when it comes to movies I hate, but I love movies that are just as "illigitemate" to indie snobs as the movies I hate...

and just because everyone loves a movie doesn't mean everyone isn't wrong in my opinion, it is just my opinion, like whatever movies you want, I love cinema and I just think the godfather is one of the worst movies I've ever seen, i'm sorry if I portray that in a snobby way, but I promise it's just for effect, i don't think any less of you if you love the godfather, I just don't see why.

and I agree about sundance.

Nah, you came across as a snob, you are backpedaling now that you've been called on it......sorry.

Anybody who thinks the Godfathers I AND II are shitty films don't know shit about films. Go watch Space Balls for the 43rd time.

5stringJeff
06-05-2007, 04:49 PM
It was a toss up between Star Wars and LOTR. I picked LOTR because the storyline is better.

Mr. P
06-05-2007, 04:56 PM
I'm just not a series person so I can't vote..

chum43
06-05-2007, 04:59 PM
Nah, you came across as a snob, you are backpedaling now that you've been called on it......sorry.

Anybody who thinks the Godfathers I AND II are shitty films don't know shit about films. Go watch Space Balls for the 43rd time.

snob i have no problem with... independent film snob is what i contested to...

and this is precisely what I hate about godfather idiot assholes(and no not everyone that likes the godfather qualifies, just you and the majority)... if I don't like the godfather I don't know shit about films... if that isn't a snob I don't know what is... space balls is worse than star wars, if you want to see a good movie about organized crime go watch once upon a time in america, the director turned down the offer to direct the godfather because he saw it for the shit that it was and decided to make his own gangster movie based on the hoods by harry grey, and I know plenty about films, and I know enough that I don't like the godfather, but I didn't claim that you knew nothing about films, I just claim that you are an asshole for thinking I don't, simply based on the fact that I think the godfather sucks.

and I wasn't exactly backpedalling because I was called on it, it's called tact and I thought I came on a bit too strong, but now I realize it wasn't strong enough because you continue to think you are better than anyone who doesn't like the godfather as much as you.

OCA
06-05-2007, 05:09 PM
snob i have no problem with... independent film snob is what i contested to...

and this is precisely what I hate about godfather idiot assholes(and no not everyone that likes the godfather qualifies, just you and the majority)... if I don't like the godfather I don't know shit about films... if that isn't a snob I don't know what is... space balls is worse than star wars, if you want to see a good movie about organized crime go watch once upon a time in america, the director turned down the offer to direct the godfather because he saw it for the shit that it was and decided to make his own gangster movie based on the hoods by harry grey, and I know plenty about films, and I know enough that I don't like the godfather, but I didn't claim that you knew nothing about films, I just claim that you are an asshole for thinking I don't, simply based on the fact that I think the godfather sucks.

and I wasn't exactly backpedalling because I was called on it, it's called tact and I thought I came on a bit too strong, but now I realize it wasn't strong enough because you continue to think you are better than anyone who doesn't like the godfather as much as you.

Bullshit, you are the absolute first person(probably the only) who thinks the Godfather is shit. Thats like saying the Yankees are a shit organization, absolutely unfathomable. Its completely appropriate to say you don't know shit when you make an assinine a statement as this is.

Once Upon A Time? Yeah its ok, Goodfellas is the best mob movie ever made followed by A Bronx Tale.

chum43
06-05-2007, 05:17 PM
Bullshit, you are the absolute first person(probably the only) who thinks the Godfather is shit. Thats like saying the Yankees are a shit organization, absolutely unfathomable. Its completely appropriate to say you don't know shit when you make an assinine a statement as this is.

Once Upon A Time? Yeah its ok, Goodfellas is the best mob movie ever made followed by A Bronx Tale.

the difference is the yankees actually win something, so yes it would be contrary to say they are a shit organization... movies don't count because EVERYTHING they get is based solely on opinion, just because that opinion is widespread doesn't mean anyone who disagrees doesn't know anything about movies, it's a very popular, very lucrative, very well respected series, see i know about it, and I still don't like it one bit...

bronx tale and goodfellas are amazing movies, this poll just happens to encompass the entirety of the movies that are super-popular and thought of as the best that I simply don't like at all, if it isn't on this list and it's a big hit that is considered one of the best of all time, I probably like it, these, aside from indiana, are just crap I can't sit through more than once a piece... i'm not entertained, it's nothing profound, i just don't enjoy them and don't like the taboo of disliking such things.

Gaffer
06-05-2007, 05:41 PM
I have all three extended versions of LOTR. That's the only way to watch those movies. They actually stayed very close to the books which is why they are my favorites. Indiana Jones would be my second choice.

Star wars is too kiddie. Godfathers were boring to me, didn't care for them, besides the fact I can't stand marlin brando.

OCA
06-05-2007, 06:09 PM
I have all three extended versions of LOTR. That's the only way to watch those movies. They actually stayed very close to the books which is why they are my favorites. Indiana Jones would be my second choice.

Star wars is too kiddie. Godfathers were boring to me, didn't care for them, besides the fact I can't stand marlin brando.

You see Gaffer don't quite understand the boring part either but I can handle it coming from you.............you didn't go and piss on soldiers in another thread.

jackass
06-05-2007, 06:24 PM
The Godfather sucks? Yeah lol, that is why its considered one of the greatest films of all time, all 3 of them.

You are probably a Gigli fan.

I dont know about all 3 of them OCA. The 3rd one sucked big time!

jackass
06-05-2007, 06:28 PM
you didn't go and piss on soldiers in another thread.

Does everything have to be from a different thread?

Abbey Marie
06-05-2007, 07:21 PM
the difference is the yankees actually win something, so yes it would be contrary to say they are a shit organization... movies don't count because EVERYTHING they get is based solely on opinion, just because that opinion is widespread doesn't mean anyone who disagrees doesn't know anything about movies, it's a very popular, very lucrative, very well respected series, see i know about it, and I still don't like it one bit...

bronx tale and goodfellas are amazing movies, this poll just happens to encompass the entirety of the movies that are super-popular and thought of as the best that I simply don't like at all, if it isn't on this list and it's a big hit that is considered one of the best of all time, I probably like it, these, aside from indiana, are just crap I can't sit through more than once a piece... i'm not entertained, it's nothing profound, i just don't enjoy them and don't like the taboo of disliking such things.

I never said these were the best movies. I asked which is your favorite. They are extremely popular, and for millions of people, a lot of fun to watch. There's a reason they all have at least three iterations. If you don't like any, you don't have to vote. It's not required.

Thanks for the apology, though. :)

chum43
06-05-2007, 07:28 PM
I never said these were the best movies. I asked which is your favorite. They are extremely popular, and for millions of people, a lot of fun to watch. There's a reason they all have at least three iterations. If you don't like any, you don't have to vote. It's not required.

Thanks for the apology, though. :)

i do apoligize, none of my hostility was aimed at the poll itself, it's a good poll, I just made that one joke about it at the beginning, but that was all in fun...

you didn't go and piss on soldiers in another thread.

haha, ok, so that is what this is about, not only did I not piss on soldiers but it has absolutely nothing to do with the godfather... I know it's hard for you to believe, but even people who don't completely support the troops being overseas have knowledge about films and are allowed to hate the godfather without being idiots...

OCA
06-05-2007, 07:39 PM
Does everything have to be from a different thread?

When something that vile is spewed by a newbie it kind of taints all his posts.

OCA
06-05-2007, 07:40 PM
I dont know about all 3 of them OCA. The 3rd one sucked big time!

The 3rd takes a bunch of watchings to get it, I didn't like it at first but after a few times it grew on me.

chum43
06-05-2007, 07:43 PM

you see whatever it is you want to see, what I said wasn't vile or pissing on anyone... you are just a moron who sees an innocent remark as vile and a piece of shit film as a masterpiece... and that doesnt even bother me, it's just that you equate the two and use that as the single reason to attack me about A MOVIE

OCA
06-05-2007, 07:55 PM
you see whatever it is you want to see, what I said wasn't vile or pissing on anyone... you are just a moron who sees an innocent remark as vile and a piece of shit film as a masterpiece... and that doesnt even bother me, it's just that you equate the two and use that as the single reason to attack me about A MOVIE

Newbie I haven't even begun to attack you yet.........but you are on the docket, well thats provided you actually engage in debate. Also please don't pull a Rosie, you said what you said, you need to stand behind it.

Mafia hitmen.

chum43
06-05-2007, 08:03 PM
Newbie I haven't even begun to attack you yet.........but you are on the docket, well thats provided you actually engage in debate. Also please don't pull a Rosie, you said what you said, you need to stand behind it.

Mafia hitmen.

this is a whole different thread, so i'm only going to say this one thing to defend myself since you insisted on bring up the mafia hitmen thing...

I made one post about supporting troops when you don't support the war because it's just their job

I was accused of comparing soldiers to mafia hitmen

I made a dozen more posts explaining exactly why that is false

and you keep bringing it up out of context just like everyone else, i'm standing behind what I said in the context that I said it in, i'm just not standing by what you are saying I said, sorry.

this thread is about movies, let's keep it that way, i'm very sorry I had to go off topic to defend myself from this moron...

OCA
06-05-2007, 08:11 PM
this is a whole different thread, so i'm only going to say this one thing to defend myself since you insisted on bring up the mafia hitmen thing...

I made one post about supporting troops when you don't support the war because it's just their job

I was accused of comparing soldiers to mafia hitmen

I made a dozen more posts explaining exactly why that is false

and you keep bringing it up out of context just like everyone else, i'm standing behind what I said in the context that I said it in, i'm just not standing by what you are saying I said, sorry.

this thread is about movies, let's keep it that way, i'm very sorry I had to go off topic to defend myself from this moron...

You, a newbie, don't ever tell me what to discuss in whichever thread, i'll tell you.

You are still not standing behind your words, you yourself are claiming context when the context you used was pretty straightforward.

chum43
06-05-2007, 08:20 PM
I'm probably in the minority here as well, but I liked the temple of doom and return of the jedi as the best of the two series

ps... if you would like to discuss context please go to the appropriate thread

OCA
06-05-2007, 08:26 PM
ps... if you would like to discuss context please go to the appropriate thread

Again I will discuss whatever it is I want to discuss in whichever thread I choose. Things will not be suggested to me by the likes of you.

chum43
06-05-2007, 08:31 PM
Again I will discuss whatever it is I want to discuss in whichever thread I choose. Things will not be suggested to me by the likes of you.

well it's sad when a newbie knows more about proper behavior than you.

last post Im making in this thread, it's ridiculous to keep discussing it here simply because i'm a newbie and you need to puff your chest out.

OCA
06-05-2007, 08:34 PM
well it's sad when a newbie knows more about proper behavior than you.

last post Im making in this thread, it's ridiculous to keep discussing it here simply because i'm a newbie and you need to puff your chest out.

Proper don't mean jack to me, i'm in a dirty mood when it concerns you. Shouldn't have pissed on American soldiers.

Run, go on, run.

jackass
06-05-2007, 08:52 PM
You, a newbie, don't ever tell me what to discuss in whichever thread, i'll tell you.

Ok...maybe we will have Jim tell you what to discuss in threads...

Personal Feuds - No surprisingly, members can sometimes get involved in personal feuds. We ask that these be kept off the boards. Please don't derail threads by going "after" someone you don't like. Don't start threads just to rile someone up. Don't harass other members. Please PM staff if you need assistance.

Thanks!

jackass
06-05-2007, 08:54 PM

Really?? I hadnt noticed until you brought it up....

shattered
06-05-2007, 08:57 PM
I can't vote - I think they're all icky. :D

But, then I don't spend much time sitting on my tush washing TV/Movies, either. :)

I think this thread took a complete shit in record time - sorry, Abbey...)

Yurt
06-05-2007, 08:57 PM

Sucks? Care to explain? Was not my favorite, but definetly a movie that was for a generation. An epic. It was like a book. The way it told the story was amazing for a movie. Very few movies have been able to tell a story like that.

Yuuz gonna sleep with the fishes for this one...

Edit:

nevermind, seems the fun has begun without me

chum43
06-05-2007, 09:07 PM
Sucks? Care to explain? Was not my favorite, but definetly a movie that was for a generation. An epic. It was like a book. The way it told the story was amazing for a movie. Very few movies have been able to tell a story like that.

Yuuz gonna sleep with the fishes for this one...

well it is a book by mario puzo, or a series of books that is, and I've read a good chunk of the first one that the series is based on and honestly I didn't even like that at all... besides being boring without being interesting(don't get me wrong I love a long slow movie as long as it has some way to keep my interest) it also seems very unrealistic, if you aren't going to go for realism you might as well go for eccentricity or excitement, not melodrama... thats my basic beef with the movies.

OCA
06-05-2007, 09:10 PM
Ok...maybe we will have Jim tell you what to discuss in threads...

Personal Feuds - No surprisingly, members can sometimes get involved in personal feuds. We ask that these be kept off the boards. Please don't derail threads by going "after" someone you don't like. Don't start threads just to rile someone up. Don't harass other members. Please PM staff if you need assistance.

Thanks!

Haha, ooops, i'm a badddddddd boyyyyyyyyyy *OCA shrugs*

jackass
06-05-2007, 09:35 PM
Haha, ooops, i'm a badddddddd boyyyyyyyyyy *OCA shrugs*

Typical disrespectful attitude.

OCA
06-05-2007, 09:37 PM

Flattery will get you everywhere big boy!

shattered
06-05-2007, 09:37 PM

Isn't that brick wall you keep smashing your head into starting to hurt? :poke::laugh2:

Hobbit
06-05-2007, 10:36 PM
Let's see if I can re-rail this thread. I picked Star Wars, but I'm going to comment on all of said movies.

Star Wars - First off, I'm going to assume we're excluding the prequals, as it should be. The original Star Wars trilogy was one of the greatest epics ever told, and while it did have some definite 'kiddish' moments, I'd put it up on a pedestal with Lord of the Rings, Narnia, and even the epics of Homer (though not as high as some on that same pedestal). It told a great story, with great acting and never leaves the audience guessing the mood (thank you, John Williams). I still get chills when I hear Darth Vader tell Luke what really happened to his father.

Godfather - I must admit, I haven't seen any of these movies all the way through, or any of the third one, so my ability to comment is limited. What I did see, though, I liked.

Pirates of the Caribbean - A good epic, but not as great as it aimed for (one of those shoot for the moon and at least land among the stars moments). It tries too hard to be Star Wars at sea, and while it followed the formula of standalone first movie, dark middle movie, and epic closer, nobody has yet to pull off a proper ending for their equivalent of Empire or a sufficiently believable counterpart to Jedi.

Star Trek - Good sci-fi saga, with 4 good series and about 5 or so good movies. I still don't rank it top dog, but it's definitely enjoyable and has lasted a long time.

Indiana Jones - Probably my second choice. It reeks of 30s/40s pulp comic in the same way Star Wars reeks of Flash Gordon and Buck Rogers serials, but like Star Wars, it pulls it off, and while The Temple of Doom is probably my least favorite of the three, it still pulls it off, and the other two, by featuring actual, Biblical artifacts, bring quite an epic feel to it.

Alien - The first one was a good horror flick in a sci-fi setting. The second pretty much set the standard for how sci-fi space marines should act when dealing with nasty aliens (though I'm sure they were inspired by the Starship Troopers books). The third was still cool. The fourth one was kind of a flop. They should have left well enough alone.

Lord of the Rings - Greatest fantasy epic ever. I would have voted for it, but I'm assuming we're just talking about the movies, and while LotR is good, the movies themselves will never be my favorites because they are still overshadowed by the books, whereas movies like Star Wars, and Indiana Jones were designed to be movies (wasn't The Godfather also based on a book?).

Harry Potter - Very good. The books were very well written. However, the movies suffer the same thing that Lord of the Rings does.

Anyway, that's my opinion.

Abbey Marie
06-05-2007, 10:49 PM
Bless you, Hobbit.

chum43
06-05-2007, 11:15 PM
Bless you, Hobbitt.

i'm sorry for at least sparking the downfall of this thread... I tried to get back on topic at least a little...

anyway now that I sit here and think of it, saying that indiana jones and star wars(even if it is a little childish) are the best of the bunch probably reflects more on my hatred of cgi effects run wild... I have to believe that if the lord of the rings and pirates of the carribean were made back in the 70's or 80's they probably could have been pulled off as much better movies with the ingenuity equal of that of a lucas or spielberg at the helm... it isn't so much as they are bad ideas, they just get carried out in the wrong way, with all the fake cgi, trying to do too much visually, stock post 1995 "epic movie" film scores, and overacting... the stuff of kiddie magic is there, I just can't get into it because they were carried out so poorly.

Gaffer
06-05-2007, 11:19 PM
Let's see if I can re-rail this thread. I picked Star Wars, but I'm going to comment on all of said movies.

Good post Hobbit

Star Wars - First off, I'm going to assume we're excluding the prequals, as it should be. The original Star Wars trilogy was one of the greatest epics ever told, and while it did have some definite 'kiddish' moments, I'd put it up on a pedestal with Lord of the Rings, Narnia, and even the epics of Homer (though not as high as some on that same pedestal). It told a great story, with great acting and never leaves the audience guessing the mood (thank you, John Williams). I still get chills when I hear Darth Vader tell Luke what really happened to his father.

I kinda think all the Star Wars ephisodes should be considered in this. And to me its was just to kidish, though the action is really good. I didn't like the ending tho of Jedi. It's like all is forgiven of Darth Vader after he dies. Even tho he has done unspeakable evil and murder, everything is hunky dorry now.

Godfather - I must admit, I haven't seen any of these movies all the way through, or any of the third one, so my ability to comment is limited. What I did see, though, I liked.

I have never been able to sit through any of these either. Gangster movies just don't get it for me.

Pirates of the Caribbean - A good epic, but not as great as it aimed for (one of those shoot for the moon and at least land among the stars moments). It tries too hard to be Star Wars at sea, and while it followed the formula of standalone first movie, dark middle movie, and epic closer, nobody has yet to pull off a proper ending for their equivalent of Empire or a sufficiently believable counterpart to Jedi.

Haven't seen the third one yet so can make a full judgement, but the second one didn't make a lot of sense to me. Especially the beginning where he's in that coffin. what was that place and how did he get there?

Star Trek - Good sci-fi saga, with 4 good series and about 5 or so good movies. I still don't rank it top dog, but it's definitely enjoyable and has lasted a long time.

Star Trek, the liberal utopia of the future

Indiana Jones - Probably my second choice. It reeks of 30s/40s pulp comic in the same way Star Wars reeks of Flash Gordon and Buck Rogers serials, but like Star Wars, it pulls it off, and while The Temple of Doom is probably my least favorite of the three, it still pulls it off, and the other two, by featuring actual, Biblical artifacts, bring quite an epic feel to it.

I liked all three Indiana Jones movies. It's definately a close second for my favorite series.

Alien - The first one was a good horror flick in a sci-fi setting. The second pretty much set the standard for how sci-fi space marines should act when dealing with nasty aliens (though I'm sure they were inspired by the Starship Troopers books). The third was still cool. The fourth one was kind of a flop. They should have left well enough alone.

The first Alien was good. The second was action packed. The third was weak. I didn't care for the 4th at all.

Lord of the Rings - Greatest fantasy epic ever. I would have voted for it, but I'm assuming we're just talking about the movies, and while LotR is good, the movies themselves will never be my favorites because they are still overshadowed by the books, whereas movies like Star Wars, and Indiana Jones were designed to be movies (wasn't The Godfather also based on a book?).

LOTR was by far my favorite. As a big fan of the books I was pleased they actually did a fairly good job of sticking to the story. The extended version is definately the only way to watch these movies as it fills in lots of little details that they cut out of the theater versions.

Harry Potter - Very good. The books were very well written. However, the movies suffer the same thing that Lord of the Rings does.

I like the movies. haven't read the books though my grandson has all of them that have been released so far. I may have to break down and read them. Books tend to give you more insight into what's going on in a movie.

Anyway, that's my opinion.

/

chum43
06-05-2007, 11:25 PM
Books tend to give you more insight into what's going on in a movie.

not in the case of harry potter, i mean whatever gets kids reading can't be all bad, but these are bland, even for a kids book, poorly written, completeley uninteresting, I actually like the movies a lot more than the parts of the books I've read(I've tried to get into nearly all of them, I have younger siblings I often visit and they are always lieing around, well I never get past chapter 2)... and even the movies weren't so great, decent in a theatre with a crowd movies, but nothing I'd even consider watching a second time, as with most of the movies on this poll.

Abbey Marie
06-06-2007, 05:34 AM
I will admit that my choosing of LOTR as my fave is somewhat biased. I am a huge fan of the books, and the movie was able to bring them to life better than I ever thought they could. The relationship between Sam and Frodo was actually even better in the movie; no small feat. The scene between Gandalf and the Balrog alone is worth the price of admission. The whole story is so rich, so original, that it just seems head and shoulders above the rest.

Overall, I thought Alien(s) was one of the best films of its genre, and I think it will go down as a true classic. The last one was weird for me, though.

Pirates - so much fun, and I loved them all, but the story telling isn't up to the level of some of the others, particularly LOTR.

Star Trek- a sentimental favorite, but the various versions were too inconsistent to be my pick.

Indiana Jones- fun, in the way The Mummy movies are fun, but not a winner for me.

Godfather - so different, it's hard to compare with the others. Classic movies, fine acting, but I never had the "I can't wait to see the next one" feeling that a fun series evokes. It's more of a stand-alone.

Star Wars - Groundbreaking, and the story line was so different and fascinating. But, these films always seemed kind of cartoonish to me. Sorry!

Harry Potter- Different, but just felt too "young" for me to fully enjoy. If I need a bathroom break, I know to wait until the interminable quiddich (sp) match to take it. :)

dan
06-06-2007, 12:23 PM
I'm joining the anti-Godfather bandwagon. I fully admit that it's because I saw it after I had seen Goodfellas (my favorite movie of all time) and Casino (in my top 10). The Godfather basically tells the same story, only much, MUCH slower. I've never seen 2 or 3, but I've heard 3 was bad enough to almost ruin the trilogy altogether.

There's also the fact that so much of the original Godfather has become part of public consciousness now, like the same way that the music in Jaws can never be as scary now as it was in '75, because it's become almost a cliche now, even though it was very effective back in the day.

For me, the Godfather worked a lot better as a book (I actually took a class on gangster fiction & film). On the other hand, Goodfellas works way better as a film than as a book, there's just no way for the written to capture that visceral excitement that Scorcese's so great at.

dan
06-06-2007, 12:37 PM
As for the actual survey....

Alien - The first one was outstanding, great special effects, even by today's standards. That movie is a shining example of why practical special effects will always be better than CGI, something like the facehugger hatching scene works so well because of the immediacy of it, you feel like you're actually watching this happen. Aliens was really good, if not completely different from the first one. It's more or less a gory action movie, but a very good one. Alien 3 had potential, and the director's cut is infinitely better than the theatrical cut, but, I dunno. It felt like mostly a retread. I wouldn't really count Alien: Resurrection as part of the series, though I'm not sure why. It just feels very tacked-on. It's got some good ideas, though, like the room full of messed-up Ripley clones. That moment was legitimately creepy. And, let's just pretend Alien vs. Predator never even happened, okay?

Pirates - Haven't seen the third one, but the first two are really good. Amazing special effects (I know, I know, it's CGI, but it's one of the only movies that I thought did CGI well), but I don't think it holds up against the other series too well. For one thing, I didn't care about any of the characters other than Jack Sparrow and Davey Jones, but then, in the second one, when they focused on Sparrow more, I thought it took away from the film. Weird, I know. Again, I haven't seen the third one, but as far as the first two, the plot didn't matter at all. It was just all action, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, especially considering it's a movie based on a ride.

Star Trek- I really hate Star Trek. I've never watched more than 10 minutes of any of the movies, so I can't really comment on it.

Indiana Jones- This might be my favorite out of this list. I haven't seen them since I was probably 10 years old (which may account for why I still love them so), but they're really well-done, and they have that Spielberg sense of "fun", which I think he's lost in his newer movies.

Godfather - See above.

Star Wars - Well, contrary to what everyone's saying, I sort of feel like one has to consider the prequels along with the original trilogy. The original is great, no question, though again, I haven't watched them in years. No, wait, I take that back, I watched the first 10 minutes of Jedi a few weeks ago and all the terrible CGI in Jabba's lair just infuriated me so much, I had to turn it off. So, y'know what, due in part to Lucas willfully ruining the originals as well as adding crappy extra chapters to an already-perfect story, I can't give this series any more than two stars at the most.

Harry Potter- I only saw one of these, which was, I believe, the fourth one. Had no clue what was going on, but I wasn't really interested in any of it. Seemed very kid-oriented.

chum43
06-06-2007, 01:40 PM
can someone explain what was so groundbreaking about star wars?... I just don't get it.

Hobbit
06-06-2007, 02:26 PM
can someone explain what was so groundbreaking about star wars?... I just don't get it.

Prior to Star Wars, all sci-fi movies were lame, low-budget, and targetted exclusively towards children (which is why Lucas had so much trouble getting it made). There was nothing REAL about them. Everything looked like it had just come out of the box. Characters who had supposedly lived with the technology for their entire lives felt the need to give boring explanations on how each piece of technology worked. Aliens were all either human look-alikes or terrible monsters who ate children. Technology had stupid names and all characters referred to them as their full, proper names, which would be like me seeing an M-16 sitting in my car and say, "Hmm, I wonder why there's a late model .223 caliber Colt M-16 automatic assault rifle placed in the rear seat of my 1999 4-cylinder Saturn LS?" as opposed to "Why the hell is there a gun in my car." Last, but not least, spaceships and their movement didn't look realistic, and space fights were dull to watch.

When Lucas started Star Wars, he tried to make what he called a 'used' universe. Han Solo is constantly doing maintanence on his dirty, old-model starship. The droids are forever getting grimy. Nobody explains why stuff works, it just does. Nobody uses drawn out terms to refer to everyday objects when 'blaster' 'freighter' and 'fighter' will do. There are lots of humans, but even the inhuman aliens can be seen enjoying a quiet drink, performing or listen to music, or just having a conversation. The main characters were people you could relate to. They started out as ordinary guys doing (fairly) ordinary things (we don't all have a hovering car, but just about anybody can relate to 'farmboy'). The story was a common one, taking aspects from many different epics and combining them in a different setting, ensuring that the setting was more of a backdrop to the story than being the story itself, as it should be, so that the alien setting didn't put off the audience.

Then there were the special effects. Ben Burt, the guy who did the sound effects for all 6 Star Wars movies, made what he called an 'organic' soundtrack, that featured almost exclusively things you could find in the real world, rather than what was synthesized. Half of R2-D2's sounds were made by Ben Burt himself, and most of the blaster sounds or a hammer striking a radio tower guide line. This type of stuff made it seem more real. On the visual side, Lucas started up his special effects from scratch, making props from all kinds of things, but the biggest breakthrough was creating the illusion of spaceships moving with full freedom of movement, making space-born dogfights that were every bit as exciting as terrestrial dogfights in a good WWII movie (in fact, the guys that filmed the space battles went through a whole bunch of old WWII movies looking for stuff they could re-create in space).

In the after-effects of Star Wars, their special effects techniques are still used today, the summer blockbusters are made as action movies instead of dramas, and nearly every sci-fi saga goes for the 'used universe' effect. It defied, then changed, the entire industry.

dan
06-06-2007, 02:47 PM

Watch some other action/adventure/sci-fi movies made in 1976, then watch Star Wars. The special effects are mindblowing and it showed Hollywood that sci-fi movies weren't just for kids. Without it, movies like Alien probably wouldn't have been greenlit.

chum43
06-06-2007, 02:52 PM
ok, bringing realism to sci-fi with dialogue and everyday actions I see, you make a good case for that... but as for the special effects and sci-fi being just for kids before that let me ask you, have you ever seen 2001: a space oddyssey?... I mean aside from light sabers and a few nifty flying maneuvers 2001 looks like it was made 10 years after the original star wars, not before.

chum43
06-06-2007, 03:01 PM
even john carpenters dark star has decent space effects, given not as polished, but i guess the question is does it really need to be.

you want to talk special effects then maybe the second or third one were mindblowing, but certainly not the first one, and that would sort of defeat the purpose of being "groundbreaking", at least in special effects terms.

as for the other stuff about realism and dialogue and aliens and paving the way for all these tv shows and movies about sci-fi fantasy crap, I say the film world would be a lot better off if star wars weren't so groundbreaking in that area.

jimnyc
06-06-2007, 04:53 PM
I can't believe I'm doing this but I'm casting my vote for LOTR over Godfather. I absolutely loved Godfather, and watch any one of them again when I have a chance. I love mafia flicks and this one is classic.

I borrowed the first in the series of LOTR from my neighbor a few years ago. I literally wanted to get the next 2 by the time the first was over. In fact, I DID go an get the next 2 the next day because I just had to see the rest. Normally I can't stand movies that last so long but the storyline here just kept me watching until it was all over.

OCA
06-06-2007, 05:17 PM
I can't believe I'm doing this but I'm casting my vote for LOTR over Godfather. I absolutely loved Godfather, and watch any one of them again when I have a chance. I love mafia flicks and this one is classic.

I borrowed the first in the series of LOTR from my neighbor a few years ago. I literally wanted to get the next 2 by the time the first was over. In fact, I DID go an get the next 2 the next day because I just had to see the rest. Normally I can't stand movies that last so long but the storyline here just kept me watching until it was all over.

Turn in your NYC permit card.

MtnBiker
06-06-2007, 07:57 PM
Star Wars, however only episodes IV, V, and VI. I'm not as much of a fan on episodes I, II, and III. Jarjar Binks just ruined it for me, and Hayden Christen's acting was awful.

LOTR was great however I had liked the books better.

Hobbit
06-06-2007, 10:43 PM
ok, bringing realism to sci-fi with dialogue and everyday actions I see, you make a good case for that... but as for the special effects and sci-fi being just for kids before that let me ask you, have you ever seen 2001: a space oddyssey?... I mean aside from light sabers and a few nifty flying maneuvers 2001 looks like it was made 10 years after the original star wars, not before.

It wasn't the first to look good or to market to adults, but how popular and industry-altering was 2001? With its epic story that was easy to get (and less resembled an LSD trip than 2001) and very well-done, Star Wars didn't just make money. It made craploads of money. Star Wars changed the way movies were made in the same way talkies and color did.

To its credit, 2001 had the most convincing sci-fi setting of any movie to date, and actually paid money for product placement rather than the other way around, as is done now, because they wanted the thing to seem more real. Still, it just didn't do enough to have the same effect as Star Wars.

chum43
06-06-2007, 11:59 PM
well some of us just don't think it was a change for the better... mainstream big budget movies just haven't been the same since the late 70's

I also just have a different opinion of groundbreaking, it's the finished product, and it simply didn't have groundbreaking sci fi special effects, because special effects had been done better prior in a sci fi movie... but I'll agree it did change things, I just don't give it credit for such changes, I give it a discredit, as much as I did enjoy the movies, they are enjoyable, I just don't think they deserve all the attention they get, nothing special to me, in fact I think I despise the following more than the movies themselves, probably in all these cases... with the exception of indy in small doses, there really isn't anything special or amazing about any of these movies, except that is for their huge out of this world followings and fandom.

dan
06-07-2007, 10:40 AM
well some of us just don't think it was a change for the better... mainstream big budget movies just haven't been the same since the late 70's

I also just have a different opinion of groundbreaking, it's the finished product, and it simply didn't have groundbreaking sci fi special effects, because special effects had been done better prior in a sci fi movie... but I'll agree it did change things, I just don't give it credit for such changes, I give it a discredit, as much as I did enjoy the movies, they are enjoyable, I just don't think they deserve all the attention they get, nothing special to me, in fact I think I despise the following more than the movies themselves, probably in all these cases... with the exception of indy in small doses, there really isn't anything special or amazing about any of these movies, except that is for their huge out of this world followings and fandom.

Well, now you're just being silly. I'm no big fan of Lord of the Rings, but I wouldn't deny that it had a huge impact on movies in general and they will be considered "important" movies in the future.

Also, I'd like to add The Matrix to this list. It seems like it belongs. Not that I liked the second or third one at all (though I do think the first one will go down as one of the most significant action movies of our generation), but it seems to fit in this list.

Hobbit
06-07-2007, 01:11 PM

Not true. All special effects prior to Star Wars paled in comparison.

chum43
06-07-2007, 01:34 PM
Not true. All special effects prior to Star Wars paled in comparison.

2001 in 1968

Hobbit
06-07-2007, 01:49 PM
2001 in 1968

Look at 2001 again. All of the spaceships either appear stationary or move in a straight line. The largest special effects breakthrough of Star Wars way making spaceships that had full range of motion in all 3 dimensions.

chum43
06-07-2007, 02:01 PM
Look at 2001 again. All of the spaceships either appear stationary or move in a straight line. The largest special effects breakthrough of Star Wars way making spaceships that had full range of motion in all 3 dimensions.

I made that point earlier, but my contention was that it was simply a sci fi movie with better special effects, it looks much more realistic and much more like you are in space, I didn't say they were more advanced... and that movie does look better, and aside from some nifty flying manuevers and lightsabers it has superior looking special effects, which within the movie is all it needs...

it's just the biggest difference between me and the general movie going public, I don't care how groundbreaking you are if the movie sucks the movie sucks, and in the case of star wars it was just alright, but nothing special... I don't kiss the boots of the makers of pearl harbor because the explosions looked nice, because the movie sucked, I'd much rather watch a talented director doing a space adventure flick with stick figures using stop-motion than watch let's say battlestar galactica... but thats just me, and it doesn't mean I'm an independent film snob, I just think less is more if you aren't going to make a quality movie with that more, and the quality is simply a matter of opinion.

nevadamedic
06-07-2007, 03:06 PM
It was a toss up between Star Wars and LOTR. I picked LOTR because the storyline is better.

For me it was a toss up between Star Wars and Harry Potter, but Star Wars wins hands down. Although The Godfather and Indiana Jones are also a couple of the greatest movies ever made.