PDA

View Full Version : Vacation. Sort of.

jimnyc
06-20-2013, 09:05 AM
My son will be spending like 3 weeks in Florida in August. Apparently I am to go down with him and stay 3-4 days and then come home. The woman will go down like 2 weeks after that, stay a few days, and then bring him back home. The hard part is that it's all with the in-laws!! :)

So they live in Solivita, which I really didn't know was an actual retirement community. http://www.vitaliahomes.com/communities/solivita

The actual town is Poinciana, apparently less than an hour from Disney. It's all part of Kissimmee.

My mother in law puts a blanket on when the temperatures drop below about 98 degrees. And me, I have the air running when it's below zero! With that said, I'm thinking of getting a rental while I'm there and staying in a hotel. Hell, I do this when visiting family in NJ, when I visit Dad in SC or anywhere I go. I like to have a nice room, air conditioning, and an element where I can unwind and feel comfortable at the end of the day.

All of these hotels are like 20-25 miles from them, closer to Disney of course. These are the 4 I have narrowed it down to:

Gaylord Palms Resort and Convention Center
6000 West Osceola Parkway Kissimmee, FL 34746

Embassy Suites Orlando - Lake Buena Vista South
4955 Kyngs Heath Road Kissimmee, FL 34746

Bohemian Hotel Celebration Autograph Collection
700 BLOOM STREET Celebration, FL 34747

Reunion Resort and Club Wyndham Grand Resort
7593 Gathering Drive Reunion, FL 34747

Anyone heard of any of them? I am dreading these few days out of my element!!

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
06-20-2013, 09:31 AM
My son will be spending like 3 weeks in Florida in August. Apparently I am to go down with him and stay 3-4 days and then come home. The woman will go down like 2 weeks after that, stay a few days, and then bring him back home. The hard part is that it's all with the in-laws!! :)

So they live in Solivita, which I really didn't know was an actual retirement community. http://www.vitaliahomes.com/communities/solivita

The actual town is Poinciana, apparently less than an hour from Disney. It's all part of Kissimmee.

My mother in law puts a blanket on when the temperatures drop below about 98 degrees. And me, I have the air running when it's below zero! With that said, I'm thinking of getting a rental while I'm there and staying in a hotel. Hell, I do this when visiting family in NJ, when I visit Dad in SC or anywhere I go. I like to have a nice room, air conditioning, and an element where I can unwind and feel comfortable at the end of the day.

All of these hotels are like 20-25 miles from them, closer to Disney of course. These are the 4 I have narrowed it down to:

Anyone heard of any of them? I am dreading these few days out of my element!! August in Florida is HOT!!! YOU WILL NEED AN AIR CONDITIONED ROOM TO RECUPERATE IN JIMMY. One with really good air conditioning. --Tyr

jimnyc
06-20-2013, 10:11 AM
August in Florida is HOT!!! YOU WILL NEED AN AIR CONDITIONED ROOM TO RECUPERATE IN JIMMY. One with really good air conditioning. --Tyr

Yeppers, and this woman won't turn on the air. She did that when she lived here in NY too, which is one of the reasons I hated visiting them. Hell, we can do things all day long, within reason of course, but I do need that place to recuperate! My ass will be cranky as hell if I have to sleep in a warm environment and toss and turn. A good night sleep in a hotel with the air set to about 50, makes a world of difference! :)

jimnyc
06-20-2013, 10:56 AM
So here are 2 places I am looking at:

Gaylord Palms Resort and Convention Center
6000 West Osceola Parkway Kissimmee, FL 34746

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/mcogp-gaylord-palms-resort-and-convention-center/

Embassy Suites Orlando - Lake Buena Vista South
4955 Kyngs Heath Road Kissimmee, FL 34746

http://embassysuites3.hilton.com/en/hotels/florida/embassy-suites-orlando-lake-buena-vista-south-MCOLKES/index.html

I was looking at others, but these are Marriott owned, and my sister can get the $140-$175 rooms for me down to $40-60.

I'd ask if anyone knows these hotels, but first I should ask if anyone has even heard of "Poinciana"?

Robert A Whit
06-20-2013, 11:18 AM

Anyone heard of any of them? I am dreading these few days out of my element!!

When I am in florida, I stay at a time share resort so I don't know their hotels.

When I need a regular good hotel room, I use hotwire.com. So far they have worked out great.

Last night I heard bad things about Groupon rooms coupons. In Honolulu i got a 300 dollar room for $60 per night and it was great. Don Ho appeared at the lounge in the hotel. Next to the beach. I have helped friends get deals using hotwire.com. I believe you need to be in or around Orlando to be close to Disneyworld. You will also be close to the Kennedy space center which I found well worth seeing. You might see some alligators there and some armadillos too.

Robert A Whit
06-20-2013, 11:22 AM
So here are 2 places I am looking at:

I was looking at others, but these are Marriott owned, and my sister can get the $140-$175 rooms for me down to $40-60.

I'd ask if anyone knows these hotels, but first I should ask if anyone has even heard of "Poinciana"?

I have stayed at one of those properties. They are fairly nice, better by far than a lot of good hotels. You will have a kitchen so you can save by fixing meals there. That is a very good rate.

I prefer one of those Marriotts to a normal good hotel room. Be prepared for the flattest state I have ever been in.

jimnyc
06-20-2013, 11:27 AM
When I am in florida, I stay at a time share resort so I don't know their hotels.

When I need a regular good hotel room, I use hotwire.com. So far they have worked out great.

Last night I heard bad things about Groupon rooms coupons. In Honolulu i got a 300 dollar room for $60 per night and it was great. Don Ho appeared at the lounge in the hotel. Next to the beach. I have helped friends get deals using hotwire.com. I believe you need to be in or around Orlando to be close to Disneyworld. You will also be close to the Kennedy space center which I found well worth seeing. You might see some alligators there and some armadillos too.

Yes, there are like 20 hotels all within like a 2 square mile area, all basically there for people going to Disney, but not staying on Disney properties. There is one Disney owned one, an animal based one, like a zoo built around/within the place. But hell, they want $289 a night for that one. Yikes! The prices all seemed the same when I tried hotwire, travelocity & direct. But none beat the employee discount. :)

I'll definitely be seeking out some gators to fuck with! And I want to go Bass fishing at a place my father in law knows of. My record large mouth is less than 5lbs. The norm at this place is around that size and many in the 7-10lb range. I would definitely like to hook into a few of those.

jimnyc
06-20-2013, 11:31 AM
I have stayed at one of those properties. They are fairly nice, better by far than a lot of good hotels. You will have a kitchen so you can save by fixing meals there. That is a very good rate.

I prefer one of those Marriotts to a normal good hotel room. Be prepared for the flattest state I have ever been in.

Oh, this isn't the first time in Florida for me, just this area. I grew up staying in Florida for about 6 weeks every summer. Dad would take us camping in Fort Pierce, and my cousins and aunts lived right around there. Then I was there for one of my wedding anniversaries, we went to Disney. And then also my Dad has a summer home in Punta Gorda, and I stayed with him a couple of times. I KNOW I will regret the heat and lack of air that actually moves. That's why I am ensuring ahead of time that I will at the very least be comfy at night!

I'm thinking of maybe taking Jordan to Universal or Sea World too, but not both.

jimnyc
06-20-2013, 11:34 AM
Funny how Google Ads work. This thread has barely been up here, but this hotel was mentioned, and now I see ads for it!!

http://imageshack.us/a/img442/6113/m3ue.jpg

Robert A Whit
06-20-2013, 11:39 AM
Oh, this isn't the first time in Florida for me, just this area. I grew up staying in Florida for about 6 weeks every summer. Dad would take us camping in Fort Pierce, and my cousins and aunts lived right around there. Then I was there for one of my wedding anniversaries, we went to Disney. And then also my Dad has a summer home in Punta Gorda, and I stayed with him a couple of times. I KNOW I will regret the heat and lack of air that actually moves. That's why I am ensuring ahead of time that I will at the very least be comfy at night!

I'm thinking of maybe taking Jordan to Universal or Sea World too, but not both.

What I wanted to do but did not do when I was there is go to Don Garlits drag race museum. I met him in CA when he raced. I believe it is just out of Orlando to the north.

I was part miserable in Florida. The weather was great. Not hot and I had just left weather that was the same. Not one bit of humidity to fret and the temps were in the 80s. I had planned to go up to St. Augustine but was too tired at the time. I had 3 days feeling good and 4 days just wanting to lay about. I did not know at the time my heart had an almost shut down artery and i was a candidate for a heart attack.

Well, you know more about that part of Florida by far than I do.

Abbey Marie
06-20-2013, 12:00 PM
Haven't stayed at any of those, but two things I would do while there if you haven't already. Visit the Space Center with your son. The Saturn V rocket up close alone is worth the drive. And eat at the Bahama Breeze nearest Disney. Have fun! (That Marriott property looks amazing). Did you notice the restaurants in the Embassy Suites will be be under renovation in mid-August?

Trigg
06-20-2013, 12:10 PM
I graduated high school down there, used to live outside Tampa. It is god awful hot in August.

With that in mind I'd choose Sea World over Universal, and go later in the day to catch the evening shows.

HAVE FUN!!

jimnyc
06-20-2013, 12:23 PM
Haven't stayed at any of those, but two things I would do while there if you haven't already. Visit the Space Center with your son. The Saturn V rocket up close alone is worth the drive. And eat at the Bahama Breeze nearest Disney. Have fun! (That Marriott property looks amazing). Did you notice the restaurants in the Embassy Suites will be be under renovation in mid-August?

No I did not, so I'm glad you noticed that! I'd probably use room service at most, and maybe even just some junk from a local store! What kind of restaurant is Bahama Breeze? I still have to see what the in-laws have planned, and what is ok to plan on my own. I'd like to do a few things with just Jordan and I, but don't want to insult. I'm just not sure they would be on the same page, wanting to walk around and do things is all.

I graduated high school down there, used to live outside Tampa. It is god awful hot in August.

With that in mind I'd choose Sea World over Universal, and go later in the day to catch the evening shows.

HAVE FUN!!

Yeah, the more people say it the more I am dreading the heat already! Maybe I'll just get the best room I can find and just stay there and in whatever water they have!

I've been to Disney many times and MGM and other smaller places, but never these 2. I'm leaning towards Sea World myself, as I love all animals, and you can swim with the dolphins there!

Robert A Whit
06-20-2013, 01:19 PM
You and your son may find this place delightful.

http://garlits.com/

You really ought to take the tip from Abbey and myself to see Cape Canefaral Kennedy space center. You will need a full day for that great p lace to see. Abbey is quite right on the Saturn 5. It is so huge you can't believe it. And they have a tour bus to go to the launch sites. They also have a museum that I missed by getting there so late. I drove up from about 20 miles west of Ft. Lauderdale. You will be so close though you can make it in half an hour.

Check out Don's site above. Don is very famous.

If you stay at the Embassy suites, you should have a pool there. And they provide breakfast for you and your son.

fj1200
06-20-2013, 01:43 PM
Apparently I am to go down with him and stay 3-4 days and then come home.

Anything you can rent for a week/weekend from vrbo.com? May be cheaper than a hotel but probably can't be $40-60 per night though.

Abbey Marie
06-20-2013, 03:05 PM
No I did not, so I'm glad you noticed that! I'd probably use room service at most, and maybe even just some junk from a local store! What kind of restaurant is Bahama Breeze? I still have to see what the in-laws have planned, and what is ok to plan on my own. I'd like to do a few things with just Jordan and I, but don't want to insult. I'm just not sure they would be on the same page, wanting to walk around and do things is all.

http://www.bahamabreeze.com/menus/ It is a seafood/Caribbean Island-themed restaurant. The one we went to near Disney also had a huge outdoor patio with a band playing. If you do go, be sure to utilize the call-ahead. Otherwise you can have a long wait. When we showed up they said they had a 4 hour wait! But we were seated so fast, I only got one sip of my G&T. As for the Space Center, if your son has an ounce of geek in him, he will love it. (Also, they have a cool 3D film about the moon). We've been twice.

jimnyc
06-20-2013, 03:16 PM
Anything you can rent for a week/weekend from vrbo.com? May be cheaper than a hotel but probably can't be $40-60 per night though.

Never heard of that site, will peek around. Is it just actual homes?

jimnyc
06-20-2013, 03:19 PM
http://www.bahamabreeze.com/menus/ It is a seafood/Caribbean Island-themed restaurant. The one we went to near Disney also had a huge outdoor patio with a band playing. If you do go, be sure to utilize the call-ahead. Otherwise you can have a long wait. When we showed up they said they had a 4 hour wait! But we were seated so fast, I only got one sip of my G&T. As for the Space Center, if your son has an ounce of geek in him, he will love it. (Also, they have a cool 3D film about the moon). We've been twice.

I definitely want some good seafood while down there. Wherever I go though, I surely won't be waiting for 4 hours! LOL

I'm frightened that my limited time there, and being on "their clock", that I may get stuck with the lame sightseeing and such. But I would like just one day where Jordan and I can go do our own thing. He'll be there for 3 weeks, one day for just the 2 of us should be fine. But the MIL gets easily offended.

fj1200
06-20-2013, 03:41 PM
Never heard of that site, will peek around. Is it just actual homes?

Or condos, etc. owned by individuals generally. Just another alternative that might be more comfortable than a hotel room after a couple of days. Depends on how long you're staying though. I'd be shocked if you can beat the price you can get though especially with less hassle in a hotel.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
06-20-2013, 04:06 PM
I definitely want some good seafood while down there. Wherever I go though, I surely won't be waiting for 4 hours! LOL

I'm frightened that my limited time there, and being on "their clock", that I may get stuck with the lame sightseeing and such. But I would like just one day where Jordan and I can go do our own thing. He'll be there for 3 weeks, one day for just the 2 of us should be fine. But the MIL gets easily offended. Abbey is right Bahamabreeze has damn good seafood. I recommend their Swordfish highly myself. And we have ate at those restaurants many times but not in the local you are going to. Also top consideration for any room there is air conditioning because if you can not get cool down you'll be miserable . Trust me on that as Im like you I like to have my air set on 50!!

Robert A Whit
06-20-2013, 04:15 PM

Also, you can go into the same control room used for Apollo flights and they treat you to the experience of a launch in sights and sounds.

Dang, sure am unhappy I missed that space museum. I know not a thing about it. I was issued a free next day pass but did not drive way back up to use it.

Nukeman
06-20-2013, 04:51 PM
You need to go to the JW Marriott its a great place and great location.. Right by Sea World and International Drive. Go to the Brick House for a GREAT beer and food. Also go to Opa's a Greek restaurant... Both are on International Drive.. Here is a pick of the JW

http://images.oyster.com/orlando/hotels/jw-marriott-orlando-grande-lakes/photos/pool-jw-marriott-orlando-grande-lakes-v646668-w902.jpg

http://images.oyster.com/orlando/hotels/jw-marriott-orlando-grande-lakes/photos/balcony-guest-room-lake-view-jw-marriott-orlando-grande-lakes-v646630-w902.jpg

Trigg and I stayed here last year and had a great time. Great place to hang out but go buy your own beer for the pool area its WAY expensive for a 6 pack, in fact you can by 2 cases for what they charge for a 6 pack. Liquor store is close by so no worries.. Go to Publix for beer and booze and relax in the lazy river.. Good workout facility as well....

Abbey Marie
06-20-2013, 09:04 PM
Nuke, that looks like the hotel we snuck into every day for happy hour. Free food and drinks, and we weren't even staying there. :eek: The place we stayed that time was a hot mess.

Robert A Whit
06-21-2013, 12:57 AM
Nuke, that looks like the hotel we snuck into every day for happy hour. Free food and drinks, and we weren't even staying there. :eek: The place we stayed that time was a hot mess.

Isn't there a COSTCO store in that area? I went to one far south not far from Ft. Lauderdale and knowing COSTCO as I do, figure one would also be close to Orlando. Costco has some beer by the case for about $24 and that is my favorite Sierra Nevada beer.

http://www.costco.com/

jimnyc
06-21-2013, 07:29 PM
You need to go to the JW Marriott its a great place and great location.. Right by Sea World and International Drive. Go to the Brick House for a GREAT beer and food. Also go to Opa's a Greek restaurant... Both are on International Drive.. Here is a pick of the JW

http://images.oyster.com/orlando/hotels/jw-marriott-orlando-grande-lakes/photos/pool-jw-marriott-orlando-grande-lakes-v646668-w902.jpg

http://images.oyster.com/orlando/hotels/jw-marriott-orlando-grande-lakes/photos/balcony-guest-room-lake-view-jw-marriott-orlando-grande-lakes-v646630-w902.jpg

Trigg and I stayed here last year and had a great time. Great place to hang out but go buy your own beer for the pool area its WAY expensive for a 6 pack, in fact you can by 2 cases for what they charge for a 6 pack. Liquor store is close by so no worries.. Go to Publix for beer and booze and relax in the lazy river.. Good workout facility as well....

I will look into this one, but it's a bit further away from my in-laws than the others. This looks to be about a 45min ride. I will be going to their place in the mornings I suppose and back to the room at night. This one looks more expensive and nicer than the others, and the discount would be the same price! I would hate to stay at such and awesome place and barely use it. I'll end up "calling in sick" to the in-laws and spending my time in the water!

aboutime
06-21-2013, 07:33 PM
Isn't there a COSTCO store in that area? I went to one far south not far from Ft. Lauderdale and knowing COSTCO as I do, figure one would also be close to Orlando. Costco has some beer by the case for about $24 and that is my favorite Sierra Nevada beer.

http://www.costco.com/

5156 Forget Costco....Welcome to WALMART!

gabosaurus
06-21-2013, 08:24 PM
How did you get your kid to spend three weeks with relatives? That is a very non-teen thing to do.
I used to spend several weeks each summer with my relatives in Dallas. Of course, I had a cousin who was the same age as I was. It was twice as much mischief.

jimnyc
06-21-2013, 08:39 PM
How did you get your kid to spend three weeks with relatives? That is a very non-teen thing to do.
I used to spend several weeks each summer with my relatives in Dallas. Of course, I had a cousin who was the same age as I was. It was twice as much mischief.

He's a computer geek. He'll have laptop in hand when he goes. He's also a reading geek, and his Kindle will be in hand when he goes. He likes to be with the in-laws, so that's a bonus, as is the beautiful weather, swimming, mini-golf & he likes to cruise in the golf cart they have (but no drive himself). Keep in mind, he doesn't go out with friends all the time here, it's all electronics, tv's computers... So not much changes other than the weather, and less of parents complaining to him to do this and do that. They spoil him.

aboutime
06-21-2013, 08:46 PM

And it sounds like only your cousin actually grew up to become an adult.