PDA

View Full Version : Manly Men

Kathianne
06-05-2007, 08:19 PM
I wish I had written this, lots of links:

http://theanchoressonline.com/2007/04/30/st-catherine-and-manly-men/

I’ve always liked St. Catherine of Siena, who was made a Doctor of the Church nearly 700 years after her death. She always struck me as a sensible, right-thinking woman.

Her feast day was yesterday and Miss Kelly wrote a nice post about this heroic woman, including this:

In a letter to the weak and vacillating Pope Gregory in Avignon, Catherine exhorted him to:

“be a manly man…wanting to live in peace is often the greatest cruelty. When the boil has come to a head it must be cut with the lance and burned with fire and if that is not done, and only a plaster is put on it the corruption will spread and that is often worse than death. I wish to see you as a manly man so that you may serve the Bride of Christ (the church and its people) without fear, and work spiritually and temporally for the glory of God according to the needs of that sweet Bride in our times.”

As I said, a sensible woman with a message that resonates through the ages, particularly our age.

Hugh Lincoln
06-05-2007, 08:57 PM
Nice!

I'd like to do some lancing of boils but Mrs. Lincoln wants me to watch the baby tonight.

06-05-2007, 09:52 PM
you called?

Yurt
06-05-2007, 10:05 PM
you called?

it was the wrong number, it was my mine.... :laugh2:

Hobbit
06-05-2007, 10:40 PM
*flex*

I am man, hear me rip the frickin' arms off anybody who roars louder than dull while I'm thinking.

Abbey Marie
06-05-2007, 10:40 PM
Some things never change, such as the need for manly men.

Nice find, Kath. :beer:

06-05-2007, 11:06 PM
it was the wrong number, it was my mine.... :laugh2:

Well Im sure you could help her despite it being a wrong number