PDA

View Full Version : Wedding Gift Sparks Epic Text Battle

jimnyc
06-22-2013, 06:48 AM
These people would no longer be my friends. People should be happy enough that others accept their invitation to help them celebrate their weddings. To actually complain to someone about the gift that they gave you? Appalling. What if these people were going through a crisis of sorts and simply couldn't afford it? And then to say that the wedding is there so that they can make money for their future? Sure sounds like the lesbos know what a marriage is all about!

This is the story of how a jar of marshmallow fluff ruined a friendship, clouded a joyful wedding day, and sparked debate across the Internet.

It all began on Wednesday, when the Hamilton Spectator published a letter from a disgruntled wedding guest, detailing his text battle over a gift he had sent a newly married co-worker.

Kathy Mason and her boyfriend (who chose to remain anonymous) attended the wedding of two Canadian women, and things went afoul from there. Mason's boyfriend, who sent his story, along with a hostile text exchange with the brides, to the Spectator wrote the following: "As a gift, my Girlfriend and I gave them a wicker box with a hinged lid, filled with food items, most of them PC Black Label, including: tri-color pasta, salsas, Balsamic vinegar and Olive oil, Gourmet croutons, Panko Breading, Pesto, some baking ingredients, Biscuits from Godiva and a few 'Fun' items like Marshmallow Fluff, Sour Patch Kids and Butterscotch sauce…On the card we wrote 'Life is delicious....Enjoy.'"

The following day, he received, via text, what might be the least genuine thank-you note in history.

One of the two brides wrote: "Heyyy I just wanna say thanks for the gift but unfortunately I can't eat any of it lol I'm gluten intolerant. Do u maybe have a receipt[?]"

That was the first message, from one of the brides. The second, from the other bride, firmed up any question as to whether they felt the basket of candy and other goods made a suitable wedding gift.

"I'm not sure if it's the first wedding you have been to, but for your next wedding, people give envelopes," the bride/co-worker texted to the gift-givers. "I lost out on $200 covering you and your dates plate, and got fluffy whip and sour patch kids in return. Just a heads up for the future :)"

And that was the last smiley face exchanged between the two parties. What follows is a text exchange that sums up the growing divide between wedding thrower and wedding guest. The gift givers claim, "To ask for a receipt is unfathomable, disrespectful, inconsiderate, immature, greedy," among other things. "Not only is it wrong to have an expectation of any sort of gift, it is the ultimate insult to your family and friends to mention a gift of monetary value at all."

The brides stand by their position, even allowing the Spectator to photograph the gift with the "fluffy whip" they call out via text, placed front and center. In her response, one of the brides claims the basket cost $30— a paltry amount, in her opinion, for two people, considering the $97-per-plate fee they spent on each guest for the reception. "Weddings are to make money for your future. Not to pay for peoples meals. Do more research. People haven't [given] gifts since like 50 years ago!"

http://shine.yahoo.com/love-sex/wedding-gift-basket-sparks-epic-text-war--the-battle-over-cheap-presents--183304420.html

Voted4Reagan
06-22-2013, 06:59 AM
This is why I told everyone I know that I HATE weddings....

They are unrealistic and the expectations of the married couple to pocket 20 or 30 grand in cash is ridiculous.

As for the 2 women who got married......

Piss off and think about how you value money over friendship....

jimnyc
06-22-2013, 07:33 AM
Honestly, when I got married, this never even crossed my mind. We looked at like 7-10 different catering halls and similar, in addition to the Church of course. The cost per plate we did in fact look at, but I never figured in any type of expected money to offset the cost, that's ridiculous. In fact, based on what we were looking at an on planning, we ended up spending more by going to St. Lucia and then our "honeymoon" on top of that marriage/honeymoon in one! AND, by doing so, we eliminated any "income" from those we never had at a wedding party.

I think ANY expectation is wrong. And like a commenter, if you are this cheap and shallow - tell people on the invitations what it costs per plate and what you're expecting - then let them determine if they can afford to attend or not. And if someone chooses to write that, and take that route, I hope they find themselves at an empty wedding.

Jeff
06-22-2013, 07:38 AM
When you are invited to a wedding it is to watch the happy couple exchange there vows not fatten there bank accounts, these two deserve each other they sound like real winners :rolleyes:

When I am invited to a wedding I give what I can , also what I give depends on how close I am with the couple , yes I have been invited to weddings where I am just a casual friend and sometimes wondered if the couple was just trying to make there bank account larger but that inst what a wedding is all about . Some of the best weddings I have ever went to the reception was a BBQ outdoors where people could party and have a good time and I am sure they didn't pay $200 a plate there so should I give them less, no way to me it all depends on how close I am with the couple

And on the other end when I paid for a reception of my own when I opened cards I was thankful whether it was 50 bucks or 500 because I invited the people there to enjoy the day with me and my bride I didn't invite for a gift.

WiccanLiberal
06-22-2013, 11:09 AM
Have heard similar cases - though not with the text - about other weddings. I refuse to be dictated to by a modern "etiquette" that attaches a price tag to attending a wedding. If you expect to make back what you spend on the wedding, you are deluded and overspending. The wedding and reception are so you can share your happiness with friends and family. Gifts should be thoughtful and based on some knowledge of the couple as well as your closeness to them. Cash, in my opinion, is low class and unimaginative. It says you didn't care enough to even look at a bridal registry, much less think up a gift idea. I have attended weddings and commitment ceremonies for straight and same sex couples and have never felt that I had to give a "better" gift. If and when V4R and I finally make it legal, it will be a quiet civil ceremony. We might throw a small party for a select group of friends. Any gifts received will be gratefully acknowledged. We are not wealthy and none of our friends are either. If you think you are feeling pressured to give cash or an expensive gift, send your best wishes and decline the invite.

Marcus Aurelius
06-22-2013, 01:40 PM
http://www.stephaniewallacephotography.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/Bridezilla.jpg

I'd have told them both to go fuck themselves, and never spoken to either one again. Stuck up little bitches, both brides.

Robert A Whit
06-22-2013, 02:00 PM
Ungrateful people may end up divorced. I am appalled at the messages sent to the givers.

When my first wife and I got married, I paid no attention to gifts other than to say thank you. My wife handled that issue.

My last wife and I went to Lake Tahoe to get married and spent that couple of days at a pals summer home at the lake with him and his wife at our wedding.

I don't recall getting any gifts. I did not get married for gifts.

Matter of fact, my bride and I took them to a very expensive restaurant above the lake and I paid for the meal for all of us.

cadet
06-22-2013, 03:48 PM
Hold on a second here, I can get money for getting married?...
I need to get cracking.... :rolleyes:

Abbey Marie
06-22-2013, 04:46 PM
Maybe the basket of cheap snacks was to send a message about how they really feel about two women getting "married" to each other. Just sayin'.

Voted4Reagan
06-22-2013, 05:36 PM
Maybe the basket of cheap snacks was to send a message about how they really feel about two women getting "married" to each other. Just sayin'.

You are what you eat......

:laugh2::slap::laugh2:

Abbey Marie
06-23-2013, 07:23 PM
You are what you eat......

:laugh2::slap::laugh2:

:laugh:

Syrenn
06-24-2013, 05:21 PM
wow!

even if you hate a gift... you send a Thank You note. Lie your ass off....its called proper etiquette. A how thoughtful and kind.... we will enjoy your gift very much.

When you invite guests...it is just that, YOU are inviting THEM. There (should be) is no expectation of receiving anything in return. It is the hosts choice on how much they spend.

I am not sure where the brides get the idea that weddings are fund raisers and "gifts" are no longer given.

maybe they should offer to exchange he basket of goodies for something more appropriate for them both.... a Miss Manners book for weddings.

very bad form on the part of the brides.

Thunderknuckles
06-24-2013, 05:54 PM
Wow, can't believe that bitch sees her wedding as nothing more than a money making endeavor. I'm surprised she did't have a CPA presiding over the affair to ensure a positive cash balance at the end of the event.

When I was married it was about two families coming together to celebrate our union. My wife and I paid for everything and both our families volunteered to make it a special day. My wife's aunt and uncle let us hold it at their million dollar home in the hills, my grandmother cooked her authentic Mexican cuisine, my wife's grandfather, an ordained minister who has married most of the family, presided over our wedding, etc, etc. It was a total family affair and I can objectively say that it was one of the best weddings I have ever attended :)

tailfins
06-24-2013, 05:58 PM
These people would no longer be my friends. People should be happy enough that others accept their invitation to help them celebrate their weddings. To actually complain to someone about the gift that they gave you? Appalling. What if these people were going through a crisis of sorts and simply couldn't afford it? And then to say that the wedding is there so that they can make money for their future? Sure sounds like the lesbos know what a marriage is all about!

http://shine.yahoo.com/love-sex/wedding-gift-basket-sparks-epic-text-war--the-battle-over-cheap-presents--183304420.html

Maybe you just don't understand Greek culture:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lesbos

Ouzo would likely be the best gift for couples from Lesbos if you and them have no objection to alcoholic beverages. Lesbos is a pretty conservative place, after all.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ouzo