PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use/try Google Voice?

jimnyc
06-22-2013, 10:49 AM
My brother in Jersey has absolutely horrible cell service in his home, and he only has his cell. Many times he will go outside for a smoke while we chat as I have trouble understanding him as the phone breaks up. He does have an Android powered smart phone, so I decided to start testing with some VOIP apps, as then the calls would go through the internet instead, hopefully bypassing bad signal. I tried a few others that worked well, but with a short delay or the app itself a bit bloated.

This morning I decided to sign up for Google Voice. It's easy to join as it's connected to your Gmail account. You can port your number, but I chose the option to give me a new number within my area code. It called my cell to verify that I was the owner, and then gave me the new number. I then installed the app on my cell, and configured it which was quite easy. Now when I choose to call someone through my contact list, it asks if I want to use the regular cell or Google Voice. I tested several times and it works great. Not sure if I will keep it though. But for my brother, or anyone else in an area with bad reception, but a good internet connection - this may be a good answer.

And it's all free! And not that I would utilize it, but you can receive voice mails and texts on your "new number" too, which will then be able to be read or listened to from your phone, and from logging into Google Voice on a computer.

aboutime
06-22-2013, 10:53 AM
My brother in Jersey has absolutely horrible cell service in his home, and he only has his cell. Many times he will go outside for a smoke while we chat as I have trouble understanding him as the phone breaks up. He does have an Android powered smart phone, so I decided to start testing with some VOIP apps, as then the calls would go through the internet instead, hopefully bypassing bad signal. I tried a few others that worked well, but with a short delay or the app itself a bit bloated.

This morning I decided to sign up for Google Voice. It's easy to join as it's connected to your Gmail account. You can port your number, but I chose the option to give me a new number within my area code. It called my cell to verify that I was the owner, and then gave me the new number. I then installed the app on my cell, and configured it which was quite easy. Now when I choose to call someone through my contact list, it asks if I want to use the regular cell or Google Voice. I tested several times and it works great. Not sure if I will keep it though. But for my brother, or anyone else in an area with bad reception, but a good internet connection - this may be a good answer.

And it's all free! And not that I would utilize it, but you can receive voice mails and texts on your "new number" too, which will then be able to be read or listened to from your phone, and from logging into Google Voice on a computer.

Jim. Yes. It's all free now. But in being free. Don't forget how Google already has taken over most of the things we all do online.
So. With everything going on with the NSA, and GOOGLE being a part of it. I'd recommend using CARE in your conversations, and in trading any personal information on that phone. Call me crazy if you like. But few people actually take time to think about the consequences....before they find out...Their Identity has been stolen.

jimnyc
06-22-2013, 11:27 AM
Jim. Yes. It's all free now. But in being free. Don't forget how Google already has taken over most of the things we all do online.
So. With everything going on with the NSA, and GOOGLE being a part of it. I'd recommend using CARE in your conversations, and in trading any personal information on that phone. Call me crazy if you like. But few people actually take time to think about the consequences....before they find out...Their Identity has been stolen.

No doubt. But from the sounds of it, I don't think it matters if using GV or your regular connection, that both may be recorded in some form. I am only recommending this to those who may be in a similar predicament as my brother, which is shit signal at home.

Robert A Whit
06-22-2013, 01:06 PM
No doubt. But from the sounds of it, I don't think it matters if using GV or your regular connection, that both may be recorded in some form. I am only recommending this to those who may be in a similar predicament as my brother, which is shit signal at home.

Jim

I honestly do not believe the Feds record your phone calls. None of them.

Not to go onto a tangent, but the phone company has kept a paper trail for billing purposes of who calls who and for how long so they can bill those who pay bills where they get the list of calls they make. If I call outside the USA, my plan will send me the charges too but my unlimited USA plan means I call long distance at no further cost.

I saw the system when I worked for the phone company for more than a year. The main office I worked in had two floors and upstairs where the Switchmen work is where our office had the equipment. I saw it many times. Because it prints out for billing purposes, I expect they system does it today as it then did. Better technology of course but people still want to know who they called and for how long so they can manage their bills at home or at companies.

Those talking to terrorists outside the USA can be recorded. But those are targeted terrorist numbers discovered using top secret magic.

As to using Google voice, not yet. It tried to get me to start it but I do not use cell phones at all since I can make calls at no extra charge on my land line system. I have a full bundle from Comcast and so far it seems a fair price given all i get. Since you use cell phones as does your brother, why not use it as you describe. Sounds good to me.

tailfins
07-10-2013, 08:48 PM
Jim

I honestly do not believe the Feds record your phone calls. None of them.

Not to go onto a tangent, but the phone company has kept a paper trail for billing purposes of who calls who and for how long so they can bill those who pay bills where they get the list of calls they make. If I call outside the USA, my plan will send me the charges too but my unlimited USA plan means I call long distance at no further cost.

I saw the system when I worked for the phone company for more than a year. The main office I worked in had two floors and upstairs where the Switchmen work is where our office had the equipment. I saw it many times. Because it prints out for billing purposes, I expect they system does it today as it then did. Better technology of course but people still want to know who they called and for how long so they can manage their bills at home or at companies.

Those talking to terrorists outside the USA can be recorded. But those are targeted terrorist numbers discovered using top secret magic.

As to using Google voice, not yet. It tried to get me to start it but I do not use cell phones at all since I can make calls at no extra charge on my land line system. I have a full bundle from Comcast and so far it seems a fair price given all i get. Since you use cell phones as does your brother, why not use it as you describe. Sounds good to me.

I just used GV to sell a washing machine online. It's nice not to have to give out a permanent phone number. It works well.

Jeff
07-10-2013, 09:05 PM

James I may try it but I do have a house phone now and have been talking to you on it LOL, but thanks for the tip if my cell would work better I wouldn't have to worry about being around the phone.Edit Wow Duh god it stinks getting old I thought you where talking about me but when I put my glasses on I seen my brother in Jersey , I apologize James