PDA

View Full Version : Pure decadence

WiccanLiberal
06-23-2013, 08:32 PM
Little backstory here. I have been a fan of the old '30's/40's pulp novels for years, Doc Savage in particular. One of many things missing in the aftermath of Sandy was my entire print collection of the novels which were reprinted in paperback some years ago. I still have text files of them on my computer but somehow not the same. So I have begun the laborious process of haunting Amazon and other places to acquire the reprints made for the 75th anniversary. These editions have two stories per book and contain all the old interior illustrations and have interviews and commentary by authors and artists. I got my first 4 volumes last week and decided to read one tonight. So, I climbed in the bubble bath, glass of iced tea at hand and book at the ready. Next thing I know, V4R enters with a pint of Haagen Dazs chocolate. Luxury by the small spoonful and the paragraph. I am sure that there are many who require and have more than I have but I doubt they could have been as satisfied as I was by that hour taken out of my day to relax in the tub. Hope everyone here had a chance to enjoy the same feelings at some point this weekend, however you got there.

tailfins
06-23-2013, 10:39 PM
It's been a hard weekend. I just started a new gig in Rhode Island, starting off feels like diving into open ocean from a cruise ship. Besides work, I have three weeks to find a new place and move all my stuff. This is over and above a pain-in-the-butt property manager at my temporary sublet. I took my family with me this weekend and they all agree that very far inside of I-295 is an unacceptable slum. Cumberland, Johnston, Lincoln, Greenville and Scituate all look pretty good. I want to stay more to the North in case the contract isn't renewed and I find myself working near Boston again. Commuting to Boston form Cumberland would be much, much better than from Warwick for example.

WiccanLiberal
06-24-2013, 10:20 AM
Hate moving. I empathize with that pain. Wishing you luck with finding a good space.

Robert A Whit
06-24-2013, 11:27 AM
Little backstory here. I have been a fan of the old '30's/40's pulp novels for years, Doc Savage in particular. One of many things missing in the aftermath of Sandy was my entire print collection of the novels which were reprinted in paperback some years ago. I still have text files of them on my computer but somehow not the same. So I have begun the laborious process of haunting Amazon and other places to acquire the reprints made for the 75th anniversary. These editions have two stories per book and contain all the old interior illustrations and have interviews and commentary by authors and artists. I got my first 4 volumes last week and decided to read one tonight. So, I climbed in the bubble bath, glass of iced tea at hand and book at the ready. Next thing I know, V4R enters with a pint of Haagen Dazs chocolate. Luxury by the small spoonful and the paragraph. I am sure that there are many who require and have more than I have but I doubt they could have been as satisfied as I was by that hour taken out of my day to relax in the tub. Hope everyone here had a chance to enjoy the same feelings at some point this weekend, however you got there.

Half Price books will search for your books and prices are reasonable to doggoned low.

I have saved a lot of money shopping their stores. They are not a huge chain but they sell books all over I believe.

http://www.hpb.com/stores/

gabosaurus
06-24-2013, 11:53 AM
The two largest Half Price Books locations are in Texas. Their headquarters is in Dallas, one of the largest used book stores you will ever find. The other one is in North Austin.
The largest used book store in the U.S. (and perhaps the world) is The Strand, which is a seven story building that occupies an entire city block in Manhattan.

If you have a large amount of older books, I would suggest donating them.

Robert A Whit
06-24-2013, 01:32 PM
The two largest Half Price Books locations are in Texas. Their headquarters is in Dallas, one of the largest used book stores you will ever find. The other one is in North Austin.
The largest used book store in the U.S. (and perhaps the world) is The Strand, which is a seven story building that occupies an entire city block in Manhattan.

If you have a large amount of older books, I would suggest donating them.

I am not in TX and they have several stores in my area.

I have called them and they will search for books. At least they did it for me.

I merely was trying to be helpful to her as were you.

I am hoping my youngest daughter will find my collection valuable.

WiccanLiberal
06-24-2013, 08:54 PM
Thanks for the suggestions.