PDA

View Full Version : Who watched Nik Wallenda cross the canyon?

Robert A Whit
06-24-2013, 09:57 AM
I watched him walk over an approximate 2 inch diameter wire line for about 1400 feet and still have a difficult time believing he made it. He was 1500 feet above the low point in the canyon.

I realize it is his way to earn a living, but so was it those Wallendas that died over the years.

I tip my hat to a professional as he is and he sure gave a fine performance.

Few humans would try that trip over the canyon. Matter of fact, he has many records for what he does. No other human has done what he has done.

It was well worth watching.

gabosaurus
06-24-2013, 12:03 PM
The Wallenda family has been doing this for decades. Also, from what I read, the broadcast had a 10 second delay. So if anything happened, you wouldn't see it. So what was exciting about it?

Robert A Whit
06-24-2013, 12:13 PM
The Wallenda family has been doing this for decades. Also, from what I read, the broadcast had a 10 second delay. So if anything happened, you wouldn't see it. So what was exciting about it?

They have died too over the decades.

It makes sense to delay as you say. But he made it.

What was exciting you ask?

The program was broadcast all over the world. The skill he has was on display and is exciting. The way he kept calm is a miracle.

It is a thing that may not be topped by any human.

Marcus Aurelius
06-24-2013, 12:29 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAVj2IVC9ko

This tops Wallenda... easily. He was on the wire over an hour... jumped up and down on the wire... laid himself down on his back... walked backwards and forwards... etc.

Robert A Whit
06-24-2013, 01:28 PM
Nik Wallenda walked over 1400 feet and was 1500 high.

We had some French guy that walked 140 feet.

Wallenda walked 10 times that far and was higher up.

Marcus Aurelius
06-24-2013, 01:48 PM
Nik Wallenda walked over 1400 feet and was 1500 high.

We had some French guy that walked 140 feet.

Wallenda walked 10 times that far and was higher up.

Did Wallenda go backwards? no.

Did Wallenda jump up and down? no.

Did Wallenda lay down on his back? no.

Did Wallenda come to the end, then go back out to the middle? no.

Did Wallenda stay on the wire for more than 45 minutes? no.

Did Wallenda have a helicopter buzzing overhead? no.

Petit used a shorter, heavier pole, without a rope over his neck to support its weight.

Petit went back and forth eight times.

Petit sat down, laid down, gave knee salutes, and conversed with a seagull as he was laying down.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philippe_Petit

As soon as Petit was observed by witnesses on the ground, the Port Authority Police Department (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_Authority_Police_Department) dispatched officers to take him into custody. One of the officers, Sgt. Charles Daniels, later reported his experience:

I observed the tightrope 'dancer'—because you couldn't call him a 'walker'—approximately halfway between the two towers. And upon seeing us he started to smile and laugh and he started going into a dancing routine on the high wire....And when he got to the building we asked him to get off the high wire but instead he turned around and ran back out into the middle....He was bouncing up and down. His feet were actually leaving the wire and then he would resettle back on the wire again....Unbelievable really....Everybody was spellbound in the watching of it.

Robert A Whit
06-24-2013, 02:04 PM
Funny how Nik Wallenda has his name in the Guinness record books.

I suspect if Wallenda used a short wire as did a Frenchman, he could have danced a jig.

I watched him run on a wire 1500 feet high.

No disrespect to posters but why not admit He is special as a wire walker?

Marcus Aurelius
06-24-2013, 02:22 PM
Funny how Nik Wallenda has his name in the Guinness record books.

I suspect if Wallenda used a short wire as did a Frenchman, he could have danced a jig.

I watched him run on a wire 1500 feet high.

No disrespect to posters but why not admit He is special as a wire walker?

Funny how you comment on posts I make, without actually reading them as I am on your ignore list:laugh:

Show me where I said Wallenda wasn't special?

I said everything that Petit did was greater than what Wallenda just did.

Did I mention the Oscars for the documentary movie about Petit?

aboutime
06-24-2013, 02:46 PM
Like watching NASCAR. Watching this guy cross the canyon, slipping, and falling would have gotten more viewers.

And his family would forever be making more money...with the SALES rights to YOUTUBE if he had fallen.

The announced Time Delay made it nothing more than a joke for most.

Which is why. I didn't watch him, and we watched "LONG ISLAND MEDIUM". Much more predictable, and entertaining while I was here on DP, reading about the stupid stuff people talk about.

Marcus Aurelius
06-24-2013, 02:46 PM
Almost forgot this one... Petit walked an incline 2,300 feet from the Palais de Chailot to the 2nd level of the Eiffel Tower.

Petit's largest in person crowd of spectators was over 500,000, in Germany in 1994. Wallenda's was about 150,000 according to his Wiki page.

Marcus Aurelius
06-24-2013, 02:48 PM
Like watching NASCAR. Watching this guy cross the canyon, slipping, and falling would have gotten more viewers.

And his family would forever be making more money...with the SALES rights to YOUTUBE if he had fallen.

Which is why. I didn't watch him, and we watched "LONG ISLAND MEDIUM". Much more predictable, and entertaining while I was here on DP, reading about the stupid stuff people talk about.

I have to disagree about the joke part. It took guts to do what Wallenda did, without a safety line, and that distance across. however, I believe that the Petit walk between the towers was far more impressive, for all the reasons I already listed above.

aboutime
06-24-2013, 02:51 PM
I have to disagree about the joke part. It took guts to do what Wallenda did, without a safety line, and that distance across. however, I believe that the Petit walk between the towers was far more impressive, for all the reasons I already listed above.

Okay. I'll happily withdraw the Joke part.

Robert A Whit
06-24-2013, 03:36 PM

That post is one of the funniest posts I have ever read. Don't you know how to laugh?

aboutime
06-24-2013, 03:39 PM
That post is one of the funniest posts I have ever read. Don't you know how to laugh?

Since you asked. You bet! Probably the most exciting reason I come to this forum. LAUGHTER never fails.
And, it's really good for the heart.

Robert A Whit
06-24-2013, 03:43 PM
The Frenchie did not get into Guinness for his walk.

And his line was short. What was it again, all of 140 feet? Wallenda was on a line exceeding 1400 feet, Wallenda did not set forth to dance on such a long very dangerous wire rope. Give the guy slack. Nobody says the Frenchies walk and fooling around was not good. Since it has been talked about, of course what the Frenchie did is spectacular. Not sure what his walk has to do with Wallenda though. Wallenda is in the Guinness book for a good reason.

Robert A Whit
06-24-2013, 03:44 PM
Since you asked. You bet! Probably the most exciting reason I come to this forum. LAUGHTER never fails.
And, it's really good for the heart.

I am happy as hell you are happy as hell.

Marcus Aurelius
06-24-2013, 09:01 PM
The Frenchie did not get into Guinness for his walk. I wasn't aware that that was the sole criteria for excellence in tightrope walking.

And his line was short. What was it again, all of 140 feet? Wallenda was on a line exceeding 1400 feet, Wallenda did not set forth to dance on such a long very dangerous wire rope. Immaterial, for all the reasons I already posted, dumb ass.

Give the guy slack. Nobody says the Frenchies walk and fooling around was not good. And no one said you said it wasn't good. You seem to have this habitual persecution complex... always implying things no one has said about you.

Since it has been talked about, of course what the Frenchie did is spectacular. At least you reconginze excellence. That's a start.

Not sure what his walk has to do with Wallenda though. Direct comparison of Petit and the Twin Towers walk and Wallenda's canyon walk. Petit's was by far the more difficult, and exciting, based on what he did on the wire.

Wallenda is in the Guinness book for a good reason. As well he should be. However, as I already pointed out, you are seriously not that bright if that is your only criteria.

My comments in RED above...

BTW... did Wallenda ever do the equivelent of the Petit walk up to the 2nd level of the Eiffel Tower? No. He did not.

gabosaurus
06-24-2013, 11:04 PM
I watched Game Six of the 2013 Stanley Cup Finals tonight, with the Chicago Blackhawks scoring twice within 17 seconds in the final two minutes, turning a 2-1 deficit into a 3-2 win. Giving the Hawks the their second NHL championship in four year.

THAT was an accomplishment. Daredevil stunts are gimmicks. Like when Evil Knievel jumped some car over the Snake River Canyon.

Marcus Aurelius
06-24-2013, 11:16 PM
I watched Game Six of the 2013 Stanley Cup Finals tonight, with the Chicago Blackhawks scoring twice within 17 seconds in the final two minutes, turning a 2-1 deficit into a 3-2 win. Giving the Hawks the their second NHL championship in four year.

THAT was an accomplishment. Daredevil stunts are gimmicks. Like when Evil Knievel jumped some car over the Snake River Canyon.

Actually, that failed miserably. The chute began to open before the 'rocket car' even got off the ramp.