PDA

View Full Version : My turbinate reduction procedure tomorrow... oh joy.

Marcus Aurelius
06-25-2013, 08:50 PM
About a year and a half ago, I had surgery to correct a badly deviated septum which had been causing sinus infections every few months and major breathing problems. Since then, only one sinus infection, and it was much less severe than before, so that's a plus.

However, I've had issues with the right side being always a little more closed up than the left, even with the steroid spray he gave me to take daily (chronic rhinitis).

So, on my last visit, he discussed an in-office procedure which takes about 10 minutes, called turbinate coblation. First they anesthetist the nasal area (spray, and then a lovely, long, pointy needle...yay), and then, as the video shows, they shove a tiny little two-pronged fork into the turbinate and in two or three passes, they essentially burn out the material inside to reduce the turbinate size, thus opening the nasal passage and improving breathing.

The whole thing takes about 10 minutes, and there is supposedly no real recovery time, no pain, and no post procedural care required.

This... should be interesting. Procedure is at 9:00AM, so if I don't post by noon, I died on the chair. Memorial donations can be sent to the Marcus Aurelius preservation society.

The video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhRrH4jwrSM

aboutime
06-25-2013, 09:10 PM
About a year and a half ago, I had surgery to correct a badly deviated septum which had been causing sinus infections every few months and major breathing problems. Since then, only one sinus infection, and it was much less severe than before, so that's a plus.

However, I've had issues with the right side being always a little more closed up than the left, even with the steroid spray he gave me to take daily (chronic rhinitis).

So, on my last visit, he discussed an in-office procedure which takes about 10 minutes, called turbinate coblation. First they anesthetist the nasal area (spray, and then a lovely, long, pointy needle...yay), and then, as the video shows, they shove a tiny little two-pronged fork into the turbinate and in two or three passes, they essentially burn out the material inside to reduce the turbinate size, thus opening the nasal passage and improving breathing.

The whole thing takes about 10 minutes, and there is supposedly no real recovery time, no pain, and no post procedural care required.

This... should be interesting. Procedure is at 9:00AM, so if I don't post by noon, I died on the chair. Memorial donations can be sent to the Marcus Aurelius preservation society.

The video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhRrH4jwrSM

Good Luck Marcus. I think I'll keep my nose out of this one. Pardon the pun.
Seriously. You will be amazed at the results. Sleeping will also improve.
It's almost like having a permanent BREATH-RITE installed.

Marcus Aurelius
06-25-2013, 09:12 PM
Good Luck Marcus. I think I'll keep my nose out of this one. Pardon the pun.
Seriously. You will be amazed at the results. Sleeping will also improve.
It's almost like having a permanent BREATH-RITE installed.

If I wake up with a dead cat in my house, my sleeping will improve. The little bitch wakes me up at 4:00AM daily, scratching until I get out of bed and get her highness a fucking snack. She's gonna be a little surprised when I have her front claws lasered the fuck out.:laugh:

aboutime
06-25-2013, 09:15 PM
If I wake up with a dead cat in my house, my sleeping will improve. The little bitch wakes me up at 4:00AM daily, scratching until I get out of bed and get her highness a fucking snack. She's gonna be a little surprised when I have her front claws lasered the fuck out.:laugh:

Try and ask the DOC to take care of the cat at the same time. A little shot of something might help. Otherwise. Which do you prefer. Having the cat, or getting a good night's sleep...while being able to breath???

gabosaurus
06-25-2013, 10:49 PM
I have a deviated septum. But they told me that is could not be corrected by surgery for some reason. Not that it causes me any problems other than with allergies. Good luck with your procedure.

Marcus Aurelius
06-25-2013, 11:17 PM
I have a deviated septum. But they told me that is could not be corrected by surgery for some reason. Not that it causes me any problems other than with allergies. Good luck with your procedure.

thanks. never heard of one that could not be corrected by surgery. My ENT said mine was possibly the worst he'd ever seen. Straight as an arrow now.

Marcus Aurelius
06-26-2013, 09:50 AM
thanks. never heard of one that could not be corrected by surgery. My ENT said mine was possibly the worst he'd ever seen. Straight as an arrow now.

wow... what a freakin difference on the right side! I may go back and have him do the left as well, even though that was not nearly as bad. Doc said it will be even clearer in 4-5 days.

gabosaurus
06-26-2013, 10:32 AM

It depends on the size of your nose and bone structure. Plus the effects of my deviated septum are not nearly as bad as yours. If doctors determine that correction is not essential to your health, it becomes elective surgery, which insurance often doesn't pay for.
I am glad that your surgery was a success.

Marcus Aurelius
06-26-2013, 11:18 AM
It depends on the size of your nose and bone structure. Plus the effects of my deviated septum are not nearly as bad as yours. If doctors determine that correction is not essential to your health, it becomes elective surgery, which insurance often doesn't pay for.

All very true, and thanks.

aboutime
06-26-2013, 11:23 AM
wow... what a freakin difference on the right side! I may go back and have him do the left as well, even though that was not nearly as bad. Doc said it will be even clearer in 4-5 days.

Marcus. Of course. Just wait till you get to sleep tonight. Good to hear.

Voted4Reagan
06-26-2013, 11:48 AM

Gabs... who ya kidding... we all know that you're deviated....:slap::laugh::slap:

Marcus Aurelius
06-27-2013, 08:30 PM
have not had to use my fluticasone (steroid nasal spray, script version of Flonase) since the procedure. I really hope that holds up. One of the side effects of the script version of that particular med is adult acne. If I don't need the med, it should clear up eventually.

PostmodernProphet
06-28-2013, 08:02 AM
turban reduction......I didn't know you were a rag head....