PDA

View Full Version : Found Grandfather's grave - born 1877

tailfins
06-27-2013, 08:09 PM
Until today, I didn't know when he was born. He died in 1930 and was a member of the Klan. I remember my mom telling me he died of Tuberculosis, aggravated by black lung. His job title was "painter". However now it would be known as a "commercial decorator". He planned, renovated and staged stores. My grandmother was left alone with nine children to feed and no savings. They went hungry often. In 1937 my mom married the first man who could support her, complete with regular beatings until 1952 when she divorced him NOT for hitting her, but for hitting their oldest son. She always told him "Beat on me all you want, but the first time you lay a hand on one of the children, you'll be divorced". He did and she promptly divorced him. She met my dad in 1954 and they married in 1955, happily every after. Every one of the offspring from that first marriage are white trash high school dropouts that never amounted to anything. Come to think of it, even the grandchildren from that first marriage aren't making much of themselves. When I was a kid, they sent my older nephews to harass me to avoid being charged with attacking a minor. Thankfully my dad reminded them that doing so would mean TWO criminal charges. That seem to put a stop to it.

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=pv&GRid=36524844&PIpi=17302095

Yes, the Klan was powerful in Indiana.

http://centerforhistory.org/learn-history/indiana-history/the-golden-era-of-indiana-1900-1941#Indiana_and_the_Ku_Klux_Klan

Klan membership documents of Indiana and discovered that 250,000 white men in Indiana (about 30% of the native-born Caucasian men in Indiana) joined the Klan in the early 1920s.1

PostmodernProphet
06-28-2013, 07:56 AM
just the idea of having to find a grandfather's grave seems so unusual to me......I grew up in a little country church in Iowa......the cemetery is about a hundred yards from the church building.....my dad is buried there, all four of my grandparents are buried there, all eight of my great grandparents are buried there.....most of my great great grandparents are buried there.....ironically I moved to a small town in Michigan......and later discovered that two great great grandparents are buried here!......