PDA

View Full Version : My great aunt passed away at the age of 97

gabosaurus
06-27-2013, 11:33 PM
My maternal great aunt was living history. She was born in Stuttgart, Germany in 1916, while World War I was still in progress. Her father died in 1918, before she was two years old. Her mother never remarried and they survived immense poverty between the two big wars. She survived the bombing of Dresden and had to flee across the country when the Russians took over in 1945. When Germany was reunified in 1990, other relatives moved west and brought a lot of photos and artifacts from her earlier life.
When I first went to Germany in 2006, I got to talk with her at length about my mother's side of the family. She also took me to Dachau to see a living reminder of the Holocaust.
My great aunt still took walks every day down to her local for a few drinks and tended her garden up to a couple of years ago, when she developed severe arthritis. She remained alert until this morning, when she died of a massive stroke.

My great aunt conveyed to several relatives that no one should mourn her passing. She wanted her memorial to be a huge family reunion, complete with lots of food, alcohol and plenty of bockmist.
So it will be early next week. My mom, my sister and my daughter will join me in another trip to the Old Country. :cheers2:

Jeff
06-28-2013, 12:24 AM
My maternal great aunt was living history. She was born in Stuttgart, Germany in 1916, while World War I was still in progress. Her father died in 1918, before she was two years old. Her mother never remarried and they survived immense poverty between the two big wars. She survived the bombing of Dresden and had to flee across the country when the Russians took over in 1945. When Germany was reunified in 1990, other relatives moved west and brought a lot of photos and artifacts from her earlier life.
When I first went to Germany in 2006, I got to talk with her at length about my mother's side of the family. She also took me to Dachau to see a living reminder of the Holocaust.
My great aunt still took walks every day down to her local for a few drinks and tended her garden up to a couple of years ago, when she developed severe arthritis. She remained alert until this morning, when she died of a massive stroke.

My great aunt conveyed to several relatives that no one should mourn her passing. She wanted her memorial to be a huge family reunion, complete with lots of food, alcohol and plenty of bockmist.
So it will be early next week. My mom, my sister and my daughter will join me in another trip to the Old Country. :cheers2:

Sorry for your loss Gabby , your Aunt sounds like she was a great woman , may she R.I.P.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
06-28-2013, 12:25 AM

So it will be early next week. My mom, my sister and my daughter will join me in another trip to the Old Country. :cheers2: Sad to hear about your loss and the passing of one that has endured so many unimaginable trials and tribulations. Still, I'd take a 97 right now as a promised time to depart. Turning 60 myself early next year. Both my older brothers were stationed in Germany in the late 60's and they told me the German beer was great and the women even better.;) -Tyr

Robert A Whit
06-28-2013, 12:42 AM

RIP and may you experience Gemutlichkeit.

red states rule
06-28-2013, 02:15 AM

Your family are in my thoughts and prayers Gabby

Have a safe trip

jimnyc
06-28-2013, 09:02 AM
My sympathies for your loss. Sounds like she lived a long and full life. Be safe in your travels.

Voted4Reagan
06-28-2013, 09:12 AM
Wiccan Liberal and I both wish to extend all of our sympathy and respect to you in this time of sorrow.

Your Great Aunt sounds remarkably like my own who passed at the age of 99. at most of us will never know.

Know in your heart that she lived a life that most of us will never know. She saw History unfold before her. She saw the world change and she saw the triumph of spirit as well as the tragedies of nations.

Her life will always be an inspiration to you... Never forget her.

All our prayers and sympathies to you and your family in your hour of Sorrow.

V4R/Wiccan

tailfins
06-28-2013, 09:16 AM
I discovered this week online that my favorite Aunt died back in September. Nobody bothered telling me. Other than one sister, my blood family has essentially disintegrated.

logroller
06-28-2013, 09:20 AM
Bravo zulu on 97 years!!!! No way I'm making it that long; so I gotta live in the here and now...or rather, when and where...is the party? ;)

revelarts
06-28-2013, 09:20 AM
Peace on you and your family Gabby. I hope it's a wonderful time at your reunion.

gabosaurus
06-28-2013, 09:57 AM
Thanks to all who have offered condolences. While we may differ in political and social viewpoints, we all share the bond of being an internet family.
Always remember that my comments are never intended to be personal. Except when they are. :poke:

Abbey Marie
06-28-2013, 11:02 AM
It's great that you were all smart enough to have your Aunt talk about her experiences before she left you. So many of us don't think to do that until it's too late. Safe travels, Gabby, and have a cold one for me.

gabosaurus
06-28-2013, 11:25 AM
This is one reason why I am taking my daughter to the funeral. My great aunt was ill the last time we went to Germany and my daughter did not get to visit with her. This time she can hear all the family stories for herself. My mom and my sister both speak German, so there will be no trouble there.

red states rule
06-29-2013, 05:07 AM
Have a safe trip Gabby

Please take some pics of the Old country and post them when you get back.

Robert A Whit
06-29-2013, 12:46 PM
Thanks to all who have offered condolences. While we may differ in political and social viewpoints, we all share the bond of being an internet family.
Always remember that my comments are never intended to be personal. Except when they are. :poke:

When I spoke of the lessons we could learn from Al, a very old man, a pal of mine, you made some remarks that were not one bit nice.

Well, now it happens you seek to put us into the middle of your aunt story.

I don't mind at all. I sure wish you respected Al who as you well know will die.

aboutime
06-29-2013, 01:03 PM
I will boldly make a prediction here. Gabby isn't going anywhere soon.

Anyone else been reading her posts across this forum?

Personally. I did not offer any condolences to gabby because that would be Hypocritical of me to do so.

And, I do believe. All of us have been fooled into believing gabby has experienced a loss.

Just doesn't sound convincing enough to me.

Judge me, and call me names if you like.

Doesn't bother me in the least.

But, based on what I have been reading, and seeing.

Gabby has perpetrated a huge joke, and used a terrible example like the Death of a Family member. To achieve it.

jimnyc
06-29-2013, 05:36 PM
And, I do believe. All of us have been fooled into believing gabby has experienced a loss.

Gabby has perpetrated a huge joke, and used a terrible example like the Death of a Family member. To achieve it.

I don't know, I don't think that was too cool. I'm no more thrilled with Gabby as of late either. But I will not question the death of a family member. And if for whatever reason I did doubt it, I don't think I would pop into this thread and say as much. If you are wrong, and I do believe you are, you were just very disrespectful. I know most of us say disrespectful things all the time, and usually it's not that big of a deal. But to do so about the death of a family member? I think that's a bit much. But hey, it's a free world. :(

aboutime
06-29-2013, 05:45 PM
I don't know, I don't think that was too cool. I'm no more thrilled with Gabby as of late either. But I will not question the death of a family member. And if for whatever reason I did doubt it, I don't think I would pop into this thread and say as much. If you are wrong, and I do believe you are, you were just very disrespectful. I know most of us say disrespectful things all the time, and usually it's not that big of a deal. But to do so about the death of a family member? I think that's a bit much. But hey, it's a free world. :(

Disrespectful? Oh, you mean, like the disrespectful way gabby comes here, and you tell us to Ignore people like that???

Further. As I gave my opinion about her. I cannot disrespect having the opinion she is playing all of us with such a tactic.
I've seen it before, at other places. Matter of fact. I will use the "eye for an eye" line here since so many seem to find it appropriate to play with the emotions of others...declaring how insulted, offended, or disrespected THEY ARE...until someone gives them a little of their own medicine.
I told you. It would be hypocritical of my to offer my condolences. I meant it. So. I will pretend, as gabby does. That there is nothing to discuss or RESPECT like Normal, Civil Human beings do.

jimnyc
06-29-2013, 05:55 PM
Disrespectful? Oh, you mean, like the disrespectful way gabby comes here, and you tell us to Ignore people like that???

Further. As I gave my opinion about her. I cannot disrespect having the opinion she is playing all of us with such a tactic.
I've seen it before, at other places. Matter of fact. I will use the "eye for an eye" line here since so many seem to find it appropriate to play with the emotions of others...declaring how insulted, offended, or disrespected THEY ARE...until someone gives them a little of their own medicine.
I told you. It would be hypocritical of my to offer my condolences. I meant it. So. I will pretend, as gabby does. That there is nothing to discuss or RESPECT like Normal, Civil Human beings do.

If you want to jump up and down and accuse someone of making up a death in the family, with no proof, and look classless, that is your choice. I'm confident you speak for yourself, even though she has quite a few that couldn't care less about her, I don't think you'll find the other "haters" jumping on your bandwagon and kicking someone while they are mourning.

Voted4Reagan
06-29-2013, 06:17 PM
Folks.... let it go...

Aboutime... Let it be old friend...Not worth it. Your a bigger man then that. But at this point she deserves the Benefit of the Doubt.

If you think Gabby is making it up.... just say nothing.... please dont start a flame war on a thread about the loss of a loved one.

My god... have we sunk that low as human beings.?? Just say nothing.