PDA

View Full Version : Fed Govt imposes new regulations, bans on cola, candy in schools

Little-Acorn
06-28-2013, 10:48 AM
There's an old saying from a German government from not too long ago:

"Everything which is not forbidden, is compulsory!"

In this country, we haven't gotten there.

Yet.

-------------------------------------------

http://thehill.com/blogs/regwatch/healthcare/308185-usda-rolls-out-new-school-snack-standards

USDA targets candy, cola in new school nutrition regulations

by Ben Goad
06/27/13 11:29 AM ET

Candy bars and Cokes will be replaced in school vending machines around the country with fruit cups and calorie-free flavored water under new snack standards unveiled Thursday.

The Department of Agriculture regulations apply to all food and drinks sold to kids in school, outside of the national school breakfast and lunch programs, which are already subject to new rules under the Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act of 2010.

The regulations on snacks or so-called “competitive foods” sold in vending machines and school stores are designed to combat the country’s childhood obesity problem.

“These changes are intended to improve the health and wellbeing of the Nation’s children, increase consumption of healthful foods during the school day and create an environment that reinforces the development of healthy eating habits,” according tothe 232-page rule.

The new regulations don't expressly ban any specific food or drink items. But they create calorie and nutrient standards that would have the effect of barring some snacks from schools.

Schools have a year to comply with the new rules, which promote whole grains; fruits; vegetables and proteins.

Marcus Aurelius
06-28-2013, 10:57 AM
Only having healthy snacks and drinks in school vending machines is okay by me.

Now, if they forced purchases, or didn't allow me to send what I want my child to eat/drink... well, we'd have 'issues'.

Little-Acorn
06-28-2013, 11:06 AM

Now, if they forced purchases, or didn't allow me to send what I want my child to eat/drink... well, we'd have 'issues'.

"Issues"??? We got youse issues, right here!!!

Michelle Obama, quoted in the same article:

“Unfortunately, we don’t always have control over the snacks our kids have access to when they’re away from home”

That's far more true than you may know, Mrs. Obama. Keep in mind that in some schools, government monitors are checking the lunches kids bring from home, and are jejecting lunches that don't meet the standards the govt thinks they should meet.

http://www.ohiofreepress.com/2012/state-monitoring-home-lunches-and-forcing-children-to-also-eat-school-lunches/

That's right - the attempts parents are making to control what their own kids eat, are being overruled by government busybodies.

Mrs. Obama, would you and your self-appointed cohorts at the Federal and State levels please, please stop "helping" us?

Little-Acorn
06-28-2013, 11:19 AM
Raise your hand if you can identify the section of the Constitution that authorizes the Fed Govt to regulate what foods are served in schools.

:cheers2:

Marcus Aurelius
06-28-2013, 11:29 AM
Like I said... they are free to limit the choices in school any way they like.

They are NOT free to force my child to purchase them when I gave him what I want him to have. If I want my child to eat crap, I will pack the crap for him, and God help the school administrator that tries to tell me he can't have what I gave him.

Little-Acorn
06-28-2013, 11:32 AM
Like I said... they are free to limit the choices in school any way they like.

I disagree. See Post #4.

Marcus Aurelius
06-28-2013, 11:38 AM
I disagree. See Post #4.

So, you're saying the public school system, run by the state government, but being required to follow federal guidelines and statutes, can't make their own rules about waht is and is not acceptable within the school systems they run?

http://www.departments.bucknell.edu/edu/ed370/federal.html

School boards have the authority, which is given by state statutory authority, to establish policies that govern the behavior of teachers and students, but such policies must conform to the U.S. Constitution, applicable federal statutes, and the rules and regulations of federal administrative agencies.

School boards and administrators have a duty to follow the mandates of the U.S. Constitution as interpreted by the decisions of the U.S. Supreme Court. Their official actions are state actions, which are covered by the Fourteenth Amendment that serves as an "umbrella" for the other amendments.

Little-Acorn
06-28-2013, 11:45 AM
People keep shoving at me, examples of Federal regulation of various things in schools.

But nobody has shoved at me, evidence of anything that gives the Feds authority to regulate those things in schools.

And there's a very good reason why nobody has cited what gives the Feds that authority.

Anyone want to guess what the reason is?

Marcus Aurelius
06-28-2013, 12:22 PM
People keep shoving at me, examples of Federal regulation of various things in schools.

But nobody has shoved at me, evidence of anything that gives the Feds authority to regulate those things in schools.

And there's a very good reason why nobody has cited what gives the Feds that authority.

Anyone want to guess what the reason is?

...such policies must conform to the U.S. Constitution, applicable federal statutes, and the rules and regulations of federal administrative agencies.

The federal government can enact statutes, etc. which the states running the schools must follow. If you don't like a statute and don't think it is Constitutional, you know what you have to do, right?

Marcus Aurelius
06-28-2013, 12:34 PM
from the OP article...

The new regulations don't expressly ban any specific food or drink items. But they create calorie and nutrient standards that would have the effect of barring some snacks from schools.

Schools have a year to comply with the new rules, which promote whole grains; fruits; vegetables and proteins.
In some cases, the proposed measures are already being implemented. The draft regulations for beverages, for example, largely mirror voluntary standards adopted by the American Beverage Association back in 2006.

So, the rules do not ban soda... for instance, low calorie and zero calorie sodas would pass the standards.

DragonStryk72
06-28-2013, 05:01 PM

I'd be with you on this, save for the NYC soda ban. Government gets retarded with these things, and the bigger the governmental body, the more so it gets.

This also removes a key lesson from kids lives: Self-regulation. Look at kids when they get to college: They binge on food, booze, and other items that they were never taught to regulate growing up. Same thing goes with caffeine. By the time I reached high school, I could cook full meals, and put together my own lunches for school, and most often did. If I didn't pack enough, or I packed crap, the effects were on me, and I learned how to do it right.

You know, they did the whole "Anything not good for you is bad, therefore, illegal." thing in Demolition Man as a huge joke, but having rewatched the movie more recently, it's starting to seem like that could become a reality.

If you really wanna help kids be healthy in school, do the following:

1. Put back the full proper gym classes as daily requirement.
2. Go back to teaching Home Ec. so that kids know how to prepare a balanced meal for themselves, and maintain a household, both boys and girls.
3. Put back outdoor recess.

Our lives these days are far more sedentary than they used to be, and we're suffering for it. I admit it, I love my computer and my smartphone, but they're not helping me stay healthy. It's less how much and what we're eating these days, than it is how much time we spent planted on our asses.

I mean, hell, I've lost 25 lbs now on my "It's in fucking walking distance" exercise program. No gyms, no athletic routines, I just walk anywhere I can reach on foot in a decent amount of time, or ride my bike if its fiarly far. I still eat like I always do, though I do try to cut back slightly on pizza, as no amount of walking is totally going to cancel out eating a whole 20" extra cheese and mushroom pizza by myself, let alone the 2-liter of Dr. Pepper that goes along with it.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
06-28-2013, 05:50 PM
There's an old saying from a German government from not too long ago:

"Everything which is not forbidden, is compulsory!"

In this country, we haven't gotten there.

Yet.

-------------------------------------------

http://thehill.com/blogs/regwatch/healthcare/308185-usda-rolls-out-new-school-snack-standards

USDA targets candy, cola in new school nutrition regulations

by Ben Goad
06/27/13 11:29 AM ET

Candy bars and Cokes will be replaced in school vending machines around the country with fruit cups and calorie-free flavored water under new snack standards unveiled Thursday.

The Department of Agriculture regulations apply to all food and drinks sold to kids in school, outside of the national school breakfast and lunch programs, which are already subject to new rules under the Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act of 2010.

The regulations on snacks or so-called “competitive foods” sold in vending machines and school stores are designed to combat the country’s childhood obesity problem.

“These changes are intended to improve the health and wellbeing of the Nation’s children, increase consumption of healthful foods during the school day and create an environment that reinforces the development of healthy eating habits,” according tothe 232-page rule.

Schools have a year to comply with the new rules, which promote whole grains; fruits; vegetables and proteins. Dats da new Obama wife decrees. Just think how lucky we are to have gotten two damn dictators for the price of one!

Marcus Aurelius
06-28-2013, 06:07 PM
http://www.debatepolicy.com/images/debate_policy/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Marcus Aurelius http://www.debatepolicy.com/images/debate_policy/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?p=649248#post649248)

I'd be with you on this, save for the NYC soda ban. Government gets retarded with these things, and the bigger the governmental body, the more so it gets.

This also removes a key lesson from kids lives: Self-regulation. Look at kids when they get to college: They binge on food, booze, and other items that they were never taught to regulate growing up. Same thing goes with caffeine. By the time I reached high school, I could cook full meals, and put together my own lunches for school, and most often did. If I didn't pack enough, or I packed crap, the effects were on me, and I learned how to do it right.

You know, they did the whole "Anything not good for you is bad, therefore, illegal." thing in Demolition Man as a huge joke, but having rewatched the movie more recently, it's starting to seem like that could become a reality.

If you really wanna help kids be healthy in school, do the following:

1. Put back the full proper gym classes as daily requirement.
2. Go back to teaching Home Ec. so that kids know how to prepare a balanced meal for themselves, and maintain a household, both boys and girls.
3. Put back outdoor recess.

Our lives these days are far more sedentary than they used to be, and we're suffering for it. I admit it, I love my computer and my smartphone, but they're not helping me stay healthy. It's less how much and what we're eating these days, than it is how much time we spent planted on our asses.

I mean, hell, I've lost 25 lbs now on my "It's in fucking walking distance" exercise program. No gyms, no athletic routines, I just walk anywhere I can reach on foot in a decent amount of time, or ride my bike if its fiarly far. I still eat like I always do, though I do try to cut back slightly on pizza, as no amount of walking is totally going to cancel out eating a whole 20" extra cheese and mushroom pizza by myself, let alone the 2-liter of Dr. Pepper that goes along with it.

Agreed. But, as I pointed out earlier, nothing is 'banned', per say. Soda of no-cal and low-cal varieties for example would most likely meet the guidelines, and would probably be allowed.

As for the NYC soda ban, I was against that from the start, as it was an outright ban... not a set of guidelines that had to be followed.

Anyway, the best way around it is to pack what you want your child to eat/drink.

Gaffer
06-28-2013, 06:23 PM
Agreed. But, as I pointed out earlier, nothing is 'banned', per say. Soda of no-cal and low-cal varieties for example would most likely meet the guidelines, and would probably be allowed.As for the NYC soda ban, I was against that from the start, as it was an outright ban... not a set of guidelines that had to be followed.Anyway, the best way around it is to pack what you want your child to eat/drink.The problem is the schools are regulating what is brought from home. That's the part your not seeing. And there is nothing in the Constitution that gives the govt the right to regulate food in school or anywhere else.

Marcus Aurelius
06-28-2013, 06:35 PM
The problem is the schools are regulating what is brought from home. That's the part your not seeing. And there is nothing in the Constitution that gives the govt the right to regulate food in school or anywhere else.

That would be a completely different issue then, not related to this one. Also, my school doesn't go through my sons lunch, looking for 'banned' items. In the 3 years he's been in this school system here, I've yet to see that happen. If it does, they will not like dealing with me.

Gaffer
06-28-2013, 08:16 PM
That would be a completely different issue then, not related to this one. Also, my school doesn't go through my sons lunch, looking for 'banned' items. In the 3 years he's been in this school system here, I've yet to see that happen. If it does, they will not like dealing with me.

It doesn't happen in your district...yet. But this is a big country and it is happen in other states. You know the process, start slow in a few areas then spread out more and more.

And it's not a completely different issue. That's what Little Acorn was talking about.

DragonStryk72
06-28-2013, 09:41 PM
Agreed. But, as I pointed out earlier, nothing is 'banned', per say. Soda of no-cal and low-cal varieties for example would most likely meet the guidelines, and would probably be allowed.

As for the NYC soda ban, I was against that from the start, as it was an outright ban... not a set of guidelines that had to be followed.

Anyway, the best way around it is to pack what you want your child to eat/drink.

Actually, the best way is to teach your children what to pack for lunch themselves.

However, remember that only a couple of years ago, people would just roll their eyes at the government, any government, moving to ban soda, but yet it happened. Government creep is a huge issue, and it's all about the little moves with it.

jafar00
06-29-2013, 06:31 AM
Raise your hand if you can identify the section of the Constitution that authorizes the Fed Govt to regulate what foods are served in schools.

:cheers2:

Common sense says so. It is important to educate kids on what are healthy food choices and to warn them of the consequences of living on junk. Get them eating healthily now, and they will be saved from a lot of pain and suffering in the future.

My daughter is an angel. She can't stand chips. My wife got some fried and battered fish with greek salad and our daughter wouldn't eat the fish if it had batter on it and polished off all of the salad. Get her chips or sweet stuff and she won't touch it.

red states rule
06-29-2013, 06:36 AM
Actually, the best way is to teach your children what to pack for lunch themselves.

However, remember that only a couple of years ago, people would just roll their eyes at the government, any government, moving to ban soda, but yet it happened. Government creep is a huge issue, and it's all about the little moves with it.

That will work only if the lunch the parent sends to school with their child gets by the Food Police. This is another example where liberals think they know what is best for other people's children