PDA

View Full Version : Anybody for some cricket?

gabosaurus
06-28-2013, 02:09 PM
The biannual Ashes series has been contested between England and Australia since 1882. Since I know cricket mad types in both countries, I can't help but be acquainted with it. I happen to enjoy the extremely leisurely pace that the sport is contested at. Test matches like The Ashes take up to five days to complete, with batsmen often up for hours at a time.
Since I plan to take my daughter to England after my great aunt's funeral (one of my best friends lives there with her husband and two kids), I am hoping to perhaps see some of the first Test, which begins July 10.
I once donned all the gear and went up to bat in a neighborhood match. I was bowled for a duck.

jimnyc
06-29-2013, 08:45 AM
Do you get to knock people out cold with hard hits, like in the NFL? Do they get to fight like in hockey?

PostmodernProphet
06-29-2013, 09:08 AM
I was bowled for a duck.

not using this straight line required full application of every ounce of will power I have......

gabosaurus
06-29-2013, 11:54 AM
Do you get to knock people out cold with hard hits, like in the NFL? Do they get to fight like in hockey?

In Australian Rules Football, there is the same hard hitting as in the American version. Only they don't wear any helmets or padding.

In cricket, someone throws a ball at you and you have to hit it.

Voted4Reagan
06-29-2013, 02:24 PM
In Australian Rules Football, there is the same hard hitting as in the American version. Only they don't wear any helmets or padding.

In cricket, someone throws a ball at you and you have to hit it.

http://youtu.be/7kqVw0yMqSY

gabosaurus
07-13-2013, 11:09 PM
My husband was not happy with me last night. He found out that I had been taking naps during the day, then staying up all night watching a live stream of The Ashes opening test from England. Which begins at 2 a.m. on the West Coast.

Sports fans, consider this. In baseball, a batter will get upset if a pitch is thrown relatively close to them. In cricket, the bowler throws a hard wooden ball directly at the batter. The batter has to swing or risk being ruled out. There is a formation of four sticks directly behind the batter. If the ball dislodges the top stick, the batter is out. The bowler bounces the ball off a hard pitch, which causes it to spin weirdly.
Look at this video, considered the best cricket ball ever pitched.

<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/waE8Ew5bejM" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

The fifth and final day of the first Ashes test begins Sunday at 10 am, London time.

www.crictime.com