PDA

View Full Version : Houston's space shuttle to get new name in Texas contest

Marcus Aurelius
07-03-2013, 02:15 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/science/2013/07/03/houston-space-shuttle-to-get-new-name-in-texas-contest/

Florida has Atlantis, California is home to Endeavour, Virginia displays Discovery and New York has Enterprise. Texas has a space shuttle, too — a full-scale, high-fidelity mockup of the NASA winged vehicles — but what the Lone Star State's orbiter doesn't have is a name.

Beginning Thursday, Space Center Houston will seek Texans' help to correct that by launching its "Name the Shuttle" contest. The official visitor center for NASA's Johnson Space Center, Space Center Houston is looking for an "original name that symbolizes the spirit of Texas and its unique characteristics of independence, optimism and can-do attitude."

The "Name the Shuttle" contest, which starts at 12 pm CDT (1700 GMT) on Independence Day, will run through Sept. 2. Beginning Thursday, Texas residents can visit the new website www.NameTheShuttle.com for contest details and to submit their suggestions for what to name the orbiter.

Since this is apparently only open to Texas residents, we can have our own little naming contest.

Choose a name, and explain in 25 words or less why you feel that is the best name for the mock up. I'd like to ask Jim, Trigg and Abbey to be judges. Best name, as judged by them, gets a $10.00 donation to this site in the winners name, paid by me.

Deadline is midnight, July 31st, 2013.

Even though I am not eligible, I'll go first so no one steals my name idea...

S.S. Chuck Norris: No explanation required.

Have at it, folks!

fj1200
07-03-2013, 02:23 PM
... a $10.00 donation to this site in the winners name, paid by me.

SS Free Ride.

logroller
07-03-2013, 02:30 PM
SS tourist trap.

Abbey Marie
07-03-2013, 02:32 PM
Sure, I'd be happy to. I might contribute a name just for fun, too. Must think...

Robert A Whit
07-03-2013, 02:45 PM
SS Amazing Earth

Trigg
07-03-2013, 03:20 PM
sounds like fun!

Missileman
07-03-2013, 04:03 PM
Crockett Rocket

aboutime
07-03-2013, 05:58 PM
S.S. Obama Escape Earth Vehicle (OEEV)

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
07-03-2013, 06:45 PM
USS WASS .... As in We Are So Shafted---------- Thanks Obama... Tyr

Voted4Reagan
07-03-2013, 07:38 PM
USS Freedom

Texas prides Freedom over almost everything else

Voted4Reagan
07-03-2013, 08:05 PM
http://youtu.be/zMSO5mHqFLM

aboutime
07-03-2013, 08:11 PM
One more try. U.S.S. B. O. H. I. C. A.

Anyone who needs to ask what those letters stand for. Don't worry. You'll find out soon enough.

Marcus Aurelius
07-03-2013, 08:26 PM
Let's 'try' to be a tiny bit serious here, folks:laugh:

aboutime
07-03-2013, 09:05 PM

Okay Marcus. You're right. Seriously speaking. BOHICA.

Missileman
07-03-2013, 09:44 PM

You could call it the SS Obama since they're both facsimiles of a functional model.

On a more serious note, Independence or Constitution might not be bad.

Marcus Aurelius
07-06-2013, 11:17 AM
Okay, folks... here are a few more non competing ideas to get things rolling...

SS Sam Houston

SS Alamo

SS Lone Star

hjmick
07-06-2013, 11:23 AM
As a former resident of Texas and frequent visitor to the state, might I submit...

Space Shuttle San Jacinto.

Voted4Reagan
07-06-2013, 11:26 AM
Spacecraft have always been named after Greek/Roman Gods,Constellations, Famous Explorers or Ideals & Principles.

The Shuttles - Enterprise, Discovery, Challenger, Atlantis, Endeavor, Columbia (Goddess)

Apollo

Gemini

Spirit and Opportunity

Cassini

Hubbell

Saturn V

I think that Freedom or Independence fits better the nature of exploration.

Naming a Shuttle after a person is a bit much

Naming them after a Battle is reserved for Aircraft Carriers and Assault Ships.

Space is the frontier of PEACE... not War.

Freedom/Independence are solid choices.

Marcus Aurelius
07-06-2013, 11:56 AM
Spacecraft have always been named after Greek/Roman Gods,Constellations, Famous Explorers or Ideals & Principles.

The Shuttles - Enterprise, Discovery, Challenger, Atlantis, Endeavor, Columbia (Goddess)

Apollo

Gemini

Spirit and Opportunity

Cassini

Hubbell

Saturn V

I do not necessarily disagree with any one point you made. However, for purposes of this little board contest, all entries are welcome.

aboutime
07-06-2013, 02:13 PM
How bout, in the name of all things in space, and the quest for Peace in the Universe.

STAR SHIP MANKIND??

Noir
07-06-2013, 02:43 PM
SS Uriel

Appeals to the largely Christian base in Texas, represents humanity through Uriels connection to the concepts of art, music and literature, and (maybe slightly morbidly) tips a hat to uriels involvement the story of Noahs Ark, as Space Ships that Uriel precedes may one day be humanities (and indeed all earthly animals) only way to continue to survive as we abandon a dying earth.

Voted4Reagan
07-06-2013, 04:39 PM
SS Uriel

Appeals to the largely Christian base in Texas, represents humanity through Uriels connection to the concepts of art, music and literature, and (maybe slightly morbidly) tips a hat to uriels involvement the story of Noahs Ark, as Space Ships that Uriel precedes may one day be humanities (and indeed all earthly animals) only way to continue to survive as we abandon a dying earth.

The Cannabis is good today? Huh Hippie?

:slap::poke::slap:

hjmick
07-06-2013, 04:58 PM

Apollo

Gemini

Spirit and Opportunity

Cassini

Hubbell

Saturn V

It was never a "spacecraft," it is a mockup, a display. In Houston. Texas. If they want to name it, they may as well choose a name that bears some significance to the region. Beats the hell out of some cheesy movie choice.

Personally, I think it's a fucking joke that they sent one to New York ( no offense Jim ) rather than Houston. A FUCKING JOKE.

Noir
07-06-2013, 06:20 PM
The Cannabis is good today? Huh Hippie? :slap::poke::slap:

Not me m'lady, straight edge 4 lyf ^,^

Marcus Aurelius
07-06-2013, 09:31 PM
SS Uriel

As I said, all entries are welcomed and will be considered by the judges.

Now, if we're going to include religious names, how about the SS Xenu (That'll piss off Tom Cruise) :laugh:

Marcus Aurelius
07-06-2013, 09:33 PM
It was never a "spacecraft," it is a mockup, a display. In Houston. Texas. If they want to name it, they may as well choose a name that bears some significance to the region. Beats the hell out of some cheesy movie choice.

Personally, I think it's a fucking joke that they sent one to New York ( no offense Jim ) rather than Houston. A FUCKING JOKE.

Being a HUGE Star Trek fan, and having been part of the write in campaign to actually name the test shuttle 'Enterprise', and living here in the Philly area, I am thrilled that they moved it to NY.

Marcus Aurelius
07-15-2013, 10:27 PM
just about 15 days left people.... lets have some more names!

Marcus Aurelius
07-28-2013, 11:49 PM
Midnight on the 31st is the deadline people. No submissions after that point will count.

Here is the current list of contest entries, in order of submission...

FJ1200….. S.S. Free Ride
Logroller… S.S. Tourist Trap
Robert A Whit… S.S. Amazing Earth
Missleman… Crocket Rocket
Aboutime… S.S. Obama Escape Earth Vehicle
Tyr-Ziu Saxnot… U.S.S. WASS .... (As in We Are So Shafted)
Voted4Reagan… U.S.S. Freedom
Abouttime… U.S.S. B. O. H. I. C. A.
Missileman… Independence
Missileman… Constitution
Hjmick… S.S. San Jacinto
Aboutime… S.S. Mankind
Noir… S.S. Uriel

I have one I picked as a personal favorite, but I will not post it prior to the end of the contest, as I do not want the judges influenced.

Original instructions...

Choose a name, and explain in 25 words or less why you feel that is the best name for the mock up. I'd like to ask Jim, Trigg and Abbey to be judges. Best name, as judged by them, gets a $10.00 donation to this site in the winners name, paid by me.

Abbey and Trigg have publicly accepted the position of judges. Jim, if you're interested, the offer is still open.

At midnight on the 31st, I'll finalize the list and PM the judges with it. They will deliberate among themselves, and hopefully come to a consensus within a few days, and they can post the winner in the thread.

BTW, so we are clear, the winner gets credit for the $10.00 site donation, not me.

Marcus Aurelius
08-02-2013, 08:45 PM
The contest is officially over. I am PM-ing the official list to the judges, whose decision is final. I'll announce when they get back to me with a winner.

fj1200
08-02-2013, 09:24 PM
I demand a recount.

Marcus Aurelius
08-02-2013, 09:27 PM
I demand a recount.

You know, you're right... I did miscount the number of entries...

FJ1200….. S.S. Free Ride
Logroller… S.S. Tourist Trap
Robert A Whit… S.S. Amazing Earth
Missleman… Crocket Rocket
Aboutime… S.S. Obama Escape Earth Vehicle
Tyr-Ziu Saxnot… U.S.S. WASS .... (As in We Are So Shafted)
Abouttime… U.S.S. B. O. H. I. C. A.
Missileman… Independence
Missileman… Constitution
Hjmick… S.S. San Jacinto
Aboutime… S.S. Mankind
Noir… S.S. Uriel

:poke:

fj1200
08-02-2013, 09:28 PM
:laugh:

Marcus Aurelius
08-03-2013, 11:18 PM
I'll be on vacation without internet access until the 12th. Hopefully the judges will make a decision and PM me, and I'll announce when I come back.

jimnyc
08-11-2013, 05:57 PM
My bad, Marcus asked me about this awhile back and I guess I forgot. My first choice would be, since it's in Texas - SS Steelers - but I doubt that would be a choice. :dunno:

But if I had to be serious - I like SS 2nd Amendment

Or if MORE serious, it would boil down to - SS Freedom

Marcus Aurelius
08-11-2013, 06:11 PM
My bad, Marcus asked me about this awhile back and I guess I forgot. My first choice would be, since it's in Texas - SS Steelers - but I doubt that would be a choice. :dunno:

But if I had to be serious - I like SS 2nd Amendment

Or if MORE serious, it would boil down to - SS Freedom

Based on the judges votes, and Jim's post above, the winner is.................

The winner shall get credit for a $10.00 donation I will make to the site on my next payday, 8/15/2013.

Congrats to V4R, and thanks to our judges.

jimnyc
08-11-2013, 06:13 PM
Instead of to the site, I think a donation would be better served to a charity of your choice, since it was your contest. Might I recommend the American Heart Association?

Voted4Reagan
08-11-2013, 06:40 PM
Instead of to the site, I think a donation would be better served to a charity of your choice, since it was your contest. Might I recommend the American Heart Association?

Since I won... Might I request that it be donated to the Wounded Warrior Project?

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Marcus Aurelius
08-12-2013, 07:38 PM
Since I won... Might I request that it be donated to the Wounded Warrior Project?

I had heard some things regarding the percentage of money they actually put towards programs being a little low, so I did some research.

Based on my findings, I would be happy to make the donation in your name to the WWP. In fact, I'll make it $20.00.

I can make it in the name of your 'persona' here, or in whatever name you choose (self, family, friend, etc.). Please let me know, and on the 15th, I'll make the donation and figure out how to post the evidence.

EDIT:

according to their website...

Will the honoree or their family receive a letter notifying them of my donation?

The Wounded Warrior Project® will notify the family or individual of your gift if the name and address of the acknowledgee is provided. You may enter this information on the bottom of our online (https://support.woundedwarriorproject.org/default.aspx?tsid=72&campaignSource=WEBSITE&company=&source=HONOR) and downloadable (https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/media/30411/general-online-donation-form.pdf) donation forms.

Your call if you'd like this.

Marcus Aurelius
08-16-2013, 11:00 PM

Details of donation sent via PM.

logroller
08-16-2013, 11:18 PM
Not to undermine v4r, but what about donating it to WWP in the name of debatepolicy.com?

Larrymc
08-17-2013, 05:22 AM
http://www.foxnews.com/science/2013/07/03/houston-space-shuttle-to-get-new-name-in-texas-contest/

Since this is apparently only open to Texas residents, we can have our own little naming contest.

Even though I am not eligible, I'll go first so no one steals my name idea...

S.S. Chuck Norris: No explanation required.

Have at it, folks!The Texas Size Bullet

Marcus Aurelius
08-17-2013, 10:09 AM
Sorry, donation already made as per winners request and instructions.

I'm sure there will be another such contest in the future though, folks.