PDA

View Full Version : Amend the Constitution?

Mr. P
06-06-2007, 03:52 PM
Is it time we add an amendment designating English as the official language of the USA? One that directs all government agencies to only test in, print, speak and conduct any business in the US in English?

I say government because imo they are the ones promoting the cultural divide with accommodation's to all non-English speaking people. They duplicate road signs, driver tests...blah blah and it's filtered into the private sector with "For English press 1".

I have never supported any move for a Constitutional amendment, but I think this one might be necessary to begin the road back to the United States being united instead of culturally divided.

Any other ideas?

theHawk
06-06-2007, 03:58 PM
Sounds good.

Pale Rider
06-06-2007, 04:02 PM
Yer fuckin' A right it is.

glockmail
06-06-2007, 04:14 PM

Any other ideas?

Yeah, while we at it, declare the borders free fire zones for those crossing without a visa.

Yurt
06-06-2007, 04:17 PM
Has my vote! Or at least my vote to my reps in congress both national and state, however they pass it, just gitter done

5stringJeff
06-06-2007, 05:13 PM
I don't think we need a Constituional amendment to do this, but I'm 1000% in favor of it.

Yurt
06-06-2007, 05:17 PM
I don't think we need a Constituional amendment to do this, but I'm 1000% in favor of it.

Good point. There is no right to have a "test" in your language. IMO though, courts are creating this "right." Thus the need for the amendment.

06-07-2007, 12:13 AM

Actually, having read some Supreme Court cases on Equal protection, we probably do... After all its the equal protection precedent that has given us this problem to begin with.

Doniston
06-07-2007, 11:11 AM
Is it time we add an amendment designating English as the official language of the USA? One that directs all government agencies to only test in, print, speak and conduct any business in the US in English?

I say government because imo they are the ones promoting the cultural divide with accommodation's to all non-English speaking people. They duplicate road signs, driver tests...blah blah and it's filtered into the private sector with "For English press 1".

I have never supported any move for a Constitutional amendment, but I think this one might be necessary to begin the road back to the United States being united instead of culturally divided.

Any other ideas? I think that is going a bit too far. This:

"One that directs all government agencies to only test in, print, speak and conduct any business in the US in English"

would never work. it is to constricting.

Mr. P
06-07-2007, 11:17 AM
I think that is going a bit too far. This:

"One that directs all government agencies to only test in, print, speak and conduct any business in the US in English"

Going too far? It worked just fine in the past.

Gaffer
06-07-2007, 11:32 AM
Yes we need such an amendment.

Kathianne
06-07-2007, 02:24 PM
I think that is going a bit too far. This:

No it's not. It's what it should be.

nevadamedic
06-07-2007, 03:01 PM
No it's not. It's what it should be.

Yup.

Doniston
06-07-2007, 04:30 PM
Going too far? It worked just fine in the past. When did they do it in the past? Where?? and under what circumstances?

Mr. P
06-07-2007, 04:37 PM
When did they do it in the past? Where?? and under what circumstances?

Geeezzzzz! :bang3:

CockySOB
06-07-2007, 04:42 PM
I agree. The official language of the USA should be English. Forget the idea of primary or secondary languages, there should be ONE official language used in our official paperwork and documentation.

And learning English should be a pre-requisite for citizenship.

Kathianne
06-07-2007, 04:44 PM
When did they do it in the past? Where?? and under what circumstances?

I believe whoever the poster was speaking regarding in effect. It's what happened. It's what worked. For the immigrant and the country. Get it now?

nevadamedic
06-07-2007, 05:25 PM
I believe whoever the poster was speaking regarding in effect. It's what happened. It's what worked. For the immigrant and the country. Get it now?

A couple states have passed leglislation making English as their official language.

Kathianne
06-07-2007, 05:32 PM
A couple states have passed leglislation making English as their official language.

A step in the right direction, at least a clue to what would happen if it were changed to an amendment.

nevadamedic
06-07-2007, 05:34 PM
A step in the right direction, at least a clue to what would happen if it were changed to an amendment.

Yup.