PDA

View Full Version : How was the 4th?

jimnyc
07-05-2013, 02:48 PM
How was everyone's holiday? Any great stories or good fireworks shows to report on? :beer:

fj1200
07-05-2013, 02:55 PM
Rainy. Although we did get the parade in for which we had to walk out our front door. :) Cookout at the pool and fireworks both cancelled due to expected, and gotten, weather. :( Both rescheduled however. :) But friends made it over for impromptu dinner and discussion. :)

So, all in all, pretty good.

Abbey Marie
07-05-2013, 03:12 PM
Very low key this year- just a BBQ for our little immediate family. Someday I'd love to make it to the Boston Pops Independence Day celebration.

hjmick
07-05-2013, 03:45 PM
Uneventful.

Just the way I like it.

aboutime
07-05-2013, 03:45 PM
Very low key this year- just a BBQ for our little immediate family. Someday I'd love to make it to the Boston Pops Independence Day celebration.

Abbey. That! Is a great idea.
Nothing like hearing the 1812 Overture in Person, with the cannons, fireworks, and memories that never go away.

Boston Pops are the Greatest.

Syrenn
07-05-2013, 09:18 PM
How was everyone's holiday? Any great stories or good fireworks shows to report on? :beer:

Its never just one day.... lol. It will be 5 days of BBQing and shopping!

Gaffer
07-05-2013, 10:08 PM
The 4th here was wet. We did our fire works Weds. Combination birthday party and 4th of July. Thursday it rained and rained and rained. There was still quite a lot of fireworks though that night. Tonight we are listening, once again, to fireworks. Almost 11 and they are still going strong. The dogs are freaked.

The neighborhood fireworks are almost as spectacular around here as the professional ones. The cops are cool and only say anything if they get a complaint. Then it's just a warning that if you see whoever is shooting them off tell them to stop as people are complaining. This was said to my daughter in laws step dad as he was standing there with mortar tubes and a punk in his teeth. He said " You bet officer, if I see em I'll let em know."

Robert A Whit
07-05-2013, 10:13 PM
The 4th here was wet. We did our fire works Weds. Combination birthday party and 4th of July. Thursday it rained and rained and rained. There was still quite a lot of fireworks though that night. Tonight we are listening, once again, to fireworks. Almost 11 and they are still going strong. The dogs are freaked.

The neighborhood fireworks are almost as spectacular around here as the professional ones. The cops are cool and only say anything if they get a complaint. Then it's just a warning that if you see whoever is shooting them off tell them to stop as people are complaining. This was said to my daughter in laws step dad as he was standing there with mortar tubes and a punk in his teeth. He said " You bet officer, if I see em I'll let em know."

We had a week of in the mid 90s up to 112 degrees and no rain. Where you live, do they still blame it on global climate despite our climate was so very different?

Kathianne
07-05-2013, 11:00 PM
Very quiet here. Usually have the kids for barbeque, but this year was the ex's dad's 90th birthday and he was born on the 4th. Worked out good for me, already had burgers cooked in freezer so zapped a couple. Had some corn on the cob, tortilla chips and homemade salsa. Watched a marathon of 'Homeland.' :)

Jeff
07-05-2013, 11:59 PM
Rainy. Although we did get the parade in for which we had to walk out our front door. :) Cookout at the pool and fireworks both cancelled due to expected, and gotten, weather. :( Both rescheduled however. :) But friends made it over for impromptu dinner and discussion. :)

So, all in all, pretty good.

Yall where lucky to get the parade in knowing you aren't far from us , we had plans to go to Helen for the fireworks and they cancelled them the day before as did most of all the firework displays we knew of , so we sat home watched movies with the kids and tried to stay dry , man I cant wait to see a complete sunny day . We where going to go to the Harley dealer in Athens tonight they had BYOF ( bring your own fireworks ) tonight but again as we where getting ready to go the skies opened up , guess fireworks just wernt in the cards this year :laugh:

Kathianne
07-06-2013, 12:01 AM
Yall where lucky to get the parade in knowing you aren't far from us , we had plans to go to Helen for the fireworks and they cancelled them the day before as did most of all the firework displays we knew of , so we sat home watched movies with the kids and tried to stay dry , man I cant wait to see a complete sunny day . We where going to go to the Harley dealer in Athens tonight they had BYOF ( bring your own fireworks ) tonight but again as we where getting ready to go the skies opened up , guess fireworks just wernt in the cards this year :laugh:

Bummer. For nearly 2 weeks we'd terrible storms and very cool temps following. The past couple days have been warm and clear for the most part.

Jeff
07-06-2013, 12:09 AM
Bummer. For nearly 2 weeks we'd terrible storms and very cool temps following. The past couple days have been warm and clear for the most part.

I don't think it has been two weeks for us ( feels like a year ) and we are surely not cold , sorry Miss Kat but you know you are always welcome to come down to GA , the sun will come back I am sure and we are quite warm , the lake is beautiful in the summer and the Mountains , man ya just couldn't ask for a nicer place to ride a bike

Kathianne
07-06-2013, 12:20 AM
I don't think it has been two weeks for us ( feels like a year ) and we are surely not cold , sorry Miss Kat but you know you are always welcome to come down to GA , the sun will come back I am sure and we are quite warm , the lake is beautiful in the summer and the Mountains , man ya just couldn't ask for a nicer place to ride a bike

Well Jeff, looks like I can soon be applying for jobs outside of Chicago area, thank God! Georgia is on my list, TN too! If we get that close together, we'll meet up! I'm also looking at NC, SC, LA, and some Southwestern states. If I have to move, going to at least try and be warm. However, if those don't pan out, I'll be looking at Dakotas regardless of weather.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
07-10-2013, 05:02 PM
We had a great 4th. My daughter's new home is fantastic and she did manage to get a good deal on the buy as the guy had just lowered the price another 25k the week she first viewed it. I was impressed with the size and great workmanship of its construction and floor plan. As to the holiday festivities all went magnificently!! I ate too much, WAY TOO MUCH !! Off my diet for three glorious days!!! Now sadly back on it... :boohoo:-Tyr

Trigg
07-10-2013, 07:19 PM
I'm late to this, but I will contribute anyway :salute:.

We had a family get together including all my sisters, their in-laws (mine were off fishing) and most of the kids.

Fireworks were on Sat. a half mile from my house, which is great because I could walk and not worry about traffic :2up:.

All in all a great 4th of July.

Jeff
07-10-2013, 09:18 PM
Well Jeff, looks like I can soon be applying for jobs outside of Chicago area, thank God! Georgia is on my list, TN too! If we get that close together, we'll meet up! I'm also looking at NC, SC, LA, and some Southwestern states. If I have to move, going to at least try and be warm. However, if those don't pan out, I'll be looking at Dakotas regardless of weather.

SC has real cheap taxes but the schools are rated low depending on where in GA schools are rated low ( but my kids are well above the national average , go figure ) and where I am has nice weather hot during the day but cools nice at night , NC is beautiful especially by the water or the Mountains so either east NC or west NC :laugh: but taxes are a bit higher and TN I love but it has to be in the mountains which I took a picture the other day on a ride we where in SC but where we sat ( at a scenic overlook ) you could see SC of course NC and TN that is the prettiest part of all three states and yes Kat if you get that close Laura and I will come meet ya and take ya for dinner

hjmick
07-10-2013, 09:23 PM

Come on down to South Carolina, make the place smarter...

Kathianne
07-11-2013, 12:09 AM
Come on down to South Carolina, make the place smarter...

Find me a place to land. ;)