PDA

View Full Version : Gyro

5stringJeff
06-06-2007, 05:26 PM
I had my first gyro (pronounced yee-row) on Saturday. It had chunks of lamb, lettuce, tomato, and dressing that had cucumber flavor in it. I also had some humus and falafel with it, plus some pita bread and olive oil. Pretty good overall.

darin
06-06-2007, 05:30 PM
I had my first gyro (pronounced yee-row) on Saturday. It had chunks of lamb, lettuce, tomato, and dressing that had cucumber flavor in it. I also had some humus and falafel with it, plus some pita bread and olive oil. Pretty good overall.

WOW. I had no idea. If it was just 'pretty good' - find another place.

:D

OCA
06-06-2007, 06:01 PM

The sauce you had was tzatziki or a mid eastern version of it sice no respectable Greek joint would serve falafel with it, hummus maybe, falafel no.

Get yourself to a place that serves doner kebab, you'll love it.

darin
06-06-2007, 06:40 PM
Remember - Turks make the BEST doner kebabs. :)

OCA
06-06-2007, 06:52 PM
Remember - Turks make the BEST doner kebabs. :)

They also make the best Gypsy thieves too, go figure.

5stringJeff
06-06-2007, 07:19 PM
The sauce you had was tzatziki or a mid eastern version of it sice no respectable Greek joint would serve falafel with it, hummus maybe, falafel no.

Get yourself to a place that serves doner kebab, you'll love it.

That's the kind of sauce it was, I just forgot the name. It's a Greek/Middle Eastern place, which is why they have the falafel.

What is doner kebab?

MtnBiker
06-06-2007, 08:00 PM
I probably have a gyro a week, if not a gyro then chicken souvlaki.

nevadamedic
06-06-2007, 08:27 PM
I probably have a gyro a week, if not a gyro then chicken souvlaki.

Souvlaki?

MtnBiker
06-06-2007, 11:50 PM
Souvlaki?

http://www.oduamy.com/souvlaki.html

OCA
06-07-2007, 07:11 AM
Souvlaki?

You heathen! How can someone not know souvlaki?

Anyway souvlaki is basically a kebab, usually with chunks of lamb, beef or chicken marinated usually in a simple mixture of evoo, lemon and fresh oregano and grilled, hence the word souvlaki which is derived from the word "souvli" which is your barbeque spit.

OCA
06-07-2007, 07:20 AM
That's the kind of sauce it was, I just forgot the name. It's a Greek/Middle Eastern place, which is why they have the falafel.

What is doner kebab?

Doner is like gyro only with more white meat.

LOki
06-07-2007, 10:21 AM
WOW. I had no idea. If it was just 'pretty good' - find another place.

:DSeriously.

dan
06-07-2007, 11:11 AM
I pronounce it "jai-row" just to piss off all those "ugh, it's pronounced yee-row" types. Not that you were like that Jeff, I just know people who say stuff like that because they think it makes them look smarter or more cultured or something.

But, at any rate, they're good, aren't they? It's kinda rare that I have one, surprisingly there's not a huge demand for Greek cuisine 'round these here parts.

OCA
06-07-2007, 11:25 AM
I pronounce it "jai-row" just to piss off all those "ugh, it's pronounced yee-row" types. Not that you were like that Jeff, I just know people who say stuff like that because they think it makes them look smarter or more cultured or something.

But, at any rate, they're good, aren't they? It's kinda rare that I have one, surprisingly there's not a huge demand for Greek cuisine 'round these here parts.

Jai row....well you are Jimmy's brother!:laugh2:

BTW the gyro is kind of like the Greek big mac, that is to say fast food.

dan
06-07-2007, 12:09 PM
Jai row....well you are Jimmy's brother!:laugh2:

:laugh2:

Actually, Sir Evil was the first person I ever heard say jai-row, and I actually thought that was how it was pronounced for a year or two.

OCA
06-07-2007, 12:15 PM
:laugh2:

Actually, Sir Evil was the first person I ever heard say jai-row, and I actually thought that was how it was pronounced for a year or two.

Jeez, forgot about Evil, surely linguistics aren't his strong suit.

LOki
06-07-2007, 01:17 PM
I had my first gyro (pronounced yee-row) on Saturday. It had chunks of lamb, lettuce, tomato, and dressing that had cucumber flavor in it. I also had some humus and falafel with it, plus some pita bread and olive oil. Pretty good overall.King Davids?

5stringJeff
06-07-2007, 05:48 PM
King Davids?

Indeed. The Fayetteville branch, which is close to home.

LOki
06-07-2007, 06:03 PM
Indeed. The Fayetteville branch, which is close to home.I recommend the falafel platter, hummus is fine, but the babaghanoush is the win.

BTW, FV is a 20 minute drive for me. We should get beers.

5stringJeff
06-07-2007, 06:48 PM
I recommend the falafel platter, hummus is fine, but the babaghanoush is the win.

BTW, FV is a 20 minute drive for me. We should get beers.

I'm waiting to go to Dinosaurs! :D