PDA

View Full Version : Chickens. Do want

darin
07-10-2013, 09:16 AM
Over the 4th of July weekend my kids cared for neighbor's chickens. Twice I went with my kids - now I'm sorta in-love with cocks.

:D

Chickens were fantastic. One or two sorta gave me a glimpse of 'personality' and all that. Am looking through Craigslist now for lumber - and I hope to start this weekend. The young hen liked to peck at my gray hair. :( (sigh)

Anyone here raise their own?

Jeff
07-10-2013, 09:35 AM
Over the 4th of July weekend my kids cared for neighbor's chickens. Twice I went with my kids - now I'm sorta in-love with cocks.

Chickens were fantastic. One or two sorta gave me a glimpse of 'personality' and all that. Am looking through Craigslist now for lumber - and I hope to start this weekend. The young hen liked to peck at my gray hair. :( (sigh)

Darin down here many have them and they run loose on there property , they say once a chicken lays a egg in a spot that is where it will always lay it, I myself want to build a coop that is on wheels so you can move it daily , I seen a guy had one and it was built in the shape of a house with the nesting box mounted to the side ( so ya can get to the eggs easily )but he had the prettiest lawn ya ever saw , Chicken sh** is great fertilizer if ya move it each day

darin
07-10-2013, 09:46 AM
Thanks Jeff - yeah, I'm stoked. Only thing - I do NOT want my grass fertilized; it's way too much as is :D

:beers:

Marcus Aurelius
07-10-2013, 09:53 AM
Did you really just ask if any of the guys here raise their own cocks? :poke:

jimnyc
07-10-2013, 12:14 PM
I want to live near a pond, and have like 10 ducks.

Marcus Aurelius
07-10-2013, 12:17 PM

Target practice?

EDIT: I bet you thought I was going in a different direction there, huh.

jimnyc
07-10-2013, 12:21 PM
Target practice?

EDIT: I bet you thought I was going in a different direction there, huh.

NO! I couldn't kill a little ducky! In fact, I'd like to get them when they were little buggers, they're too damn cute! Then watch them grow and enjoy the pond. :)

Marcus Aurelius
07-10-2013, 12:33 PM
NO! I couldn't kill a little ducky! In fact, I'd like to get them when they were little buggers, they're too damn cute! Then watch them grow and enjoy the pond. :)

yeah, he does look delicious, er, cute... doesn't he?

http://www.khmerkromrecipes.com/photo_recipes/tearquay.jpg

jimnyc
07-10-2013, 12:35 PM
Man, you're just like Jeff. When I was staying at his place a few years back, he had some in his backyard in a coop. I wasn't there when he did it - but I remember the story - of his little ones coming home from school and asking him where the ducks went. He told them the freezer. They asked again "no, seriously Dad, where are they", and he said the freezer! And they sure were! The worst part was that the little rednecks didn't give a crap! :laugh2:

Marcus Aurelius
07-10-2013, 12:40 PM
when cooked properly, so most (not all) the fat is rendered away, duck is my favorite fowl.

Only one thing makes duck even better. Guess what...

jafar00
07-10-2013, 02:15 PM

Ducks are for lookin'. The fluffy bunnies around the back are for eatin' right? :)

Rabbit done right is delicious.

aboutime
07-10-2013, 02:42 PM

dmp. Does the Occupant living at the White House qualify? If so. 310,000,000 Million Americans HAVE ONE!

PostmodernProphet
07-11-2013, 06:21 PM
Did you really just ask if any of the guys here raise their own cocks? :poke:

I'm getting old.....I need to have hired hands....

Jeff
07-11-2013, 06:27 PM

I had the ducks in the yard , I think we had them when you where down , we kept telling the boys each time we had turkey that it was daffy :laugh: by the time we got rid of the ducks the boys where wanting to eat them :laugh:

hjmick
07-11-2013, 06:27 PM
...now I'm sorta in-love with cocks...

Dude... Did you think before you typed that?

Jeff
07-11-2013, 06:30 PM
Man, you're just like Jeff. When I was staying at his place a few years back, he had some in his backyard in a coop. I wasn't there when he did it - but I remember the story - of his little ones coming home from school and asking him where the ducks went. He told them the freezer. They asked again "no, seriously Dad, where are they", and he said the freezer! And they sure were! The worst part was that the little rednecks didn't give a crap! :laugh2:

I guess I should of read the whole thread before posting :duh5:

glockmail
07-11-2013, 07:52 PM
They don't allow any livestock in my neighborhood, otherwise I'd have a small flock of chickens. I have a client that pays me in fresh eggs, however, so I don't really need to raise them here.

SassyLady
07-12-2013, 04:41 AM

Yep!!! You guys will have fun. However, you know that rabbits are the best bet if you are looking for fast generation of meat in prepping scenario. I just can't get anyone in the house to take on the job of butchering them. I'll cook, but can't handle a knife like I used to.

Here's picture of our rooster, Phil (named after Phyllis Diller) for obvious reasons. He's not with us any more ... died of old age. The second, more colorful rooster is like the one our neighbor to the east side has. Our neighbors on the west side had eight chickens (but no rooster) for about 10 months and then lost three in less than two weeks to predators (my nephew's dog being one of those predators). They keep theirs in a coop at night and let them roam around the properties during the day. Definitely have personalities. Used to love having neighbors chickens come over and visit. Had to put a stop to the visits due to damn dog not being a gracious host. My dog learned a long time ago to leave chickens alone, but this new dog has a lot to learn.

Here's the chicken coop I want built because our chickens are kinda wild and go where they want, but they have some favorite trees on our property to roost in. We've recently discovered a fox in the area and the chickens are feeling the stress and losing some of their feathers. Hopefully the coop will help protect them and give us a chance to gather the eggs.

P.S. Darin, I kinda love them too! Just don't have one around any more to have fun with!

PostmodernProphet
07-12-2013, 08:17 AM
not fond of chickens myself.....we used to have what they now call free range chickens on the farm when I was growing up.....I remember one time when I was little a hen had a flock of babies out in the grove and she chased me a hundred yards because I got too close.....

darin
07-16-2013, 05:48 AM
Yesterday the kids and I spent about two hours wiring-up part of the barn. The chickens we're getting are not of egg-laying age; we're not building a coop - but transforming part of the tack-room and back of the barn to a chicken roaming area. I'll install perches and whatnot. Pics later :)

glockmail
07-16-2013, 09:08 AM
My grandfather grew up on a farm with free range chickens. Their dog got an eye pecked out by one so warn your kids to keep a distance.

darin
07-23-2013, 12:17 PM
My chicken-raising area within my barn; will install nesting boxes later - chicks we're getting are only a few weeks old.

http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5297&d=1374599796

darin
07-26-2013, 09:04 AM
Picked up six last night! woot!

http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5309&d=1374847415

http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5310&d=1374847419

Marcus Aurelius
07-26-2013, 09:16 AM
Picked up six last night! woot!

http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5309&d=1374847415

http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5310&d=1374847419

they look delicious

glockmail
07-26-2013, 12:08 PM
Make sure they have plenty of water. They drink a lot, shit a lot and it has to be kept clean. Dehydration will kill chickens quickly, especially in the heat. And keep the air moving.

Abbey Marie
07-26-2013, 12:10 PM
They are so cute!

glockmail
07-26-2013, 12:12 PM
They are so cute! I love the "WTF" look on its face.