PDA

View Full Version : Acupuncture

jimnyc
07-10-2013, 12:16 PM
I'm leaving shortly for my very first acupuncture appointment. Never had it done before, but many people have been recommending it. I know of 2 people who go at least once per month for what they call "maintenance" and they absolutely swear by it. One goes simply for relaxation, the other for lower back pain. I am going for a laundry list - restless leg syndrome, anxiety, stress, depression and the occasional desire to beat people up, even though I don't do it. :)

Anyone else get this done? Your thoughts?

Marcus Aurelius
07-10-2013, 12:38 PM
I'm leaving shortly for my very first acupuncture appointment. Never had it done before, but many people have been recommending it. I know of 2 people who go at least once per month for what they call "maintenance" and they absolutely swear by it. One goes simply for relaxation, the other for lower back pain. I am going for a laundry list - restless leg syndrome, anxiety, stress, depression and the occasional desire to beat people up, even though I don't do it. :)

GOOGLE 'science behind acupuncture'. there is a lot of scientific validation for it's effects on stress and certain types of pain.

fj1200
07-10-2013, 01:28 PM
Your thoughts?

This is certainly a better plan than you're attempt at self-acupuncture with nails. :slap:

jimnyc
07-10-2013, 06:04 PM
I think that was the most thorough practitioner I've ever seen in my life. The appointment was for 2pm and their website says it's normally about 45 minutes, but to allow an extra 45 minutes the first visit for her to get to know me and my history, take vitals and all the other stuff. I was there till 5pm! She showed me nearly every point of my body and what effects what. It was a hell of a learning experience. I never realized how parts of the body affect other parts of the body. Like on my left foot, by the big toe, is an area that effects the liver. Another one for the spleen. Areas on the arms that affect your heart, and intestines. And the ears, they are in touch with everything. She went overboard in explaining things to me, which I really appreciated.

The acupuncture part was about 5 minutes to put the needles in and 20 minutes with the lights dimmed and music in the background. 5 needles in each ear, one near the right thumb, and right wrist, by the left wrist, and 2 on each foot. It was weird, but yet relaxing. I don't know if I hallucinated or not, but when I left I felt better. My anxiety was at like a 7 out of 10, and I felt almost normal when I left, groggy in fact. Of course it is no cure, and my anxiety and such is still there, but it made a great deal of difference, or so it seemed.

She also gave me a ton of free stuff. A baggie full of tea bags for calming the nerves, aromatherapy and even burned me a few CD's that will help with meditation/relaxation. It was funny at times too, seems like she was like a 60's hippie maybe. Very cool though. And they also have therapeutic massages there, and the woman that gives them came in while I was waiting to be seen. Also very friendly, but was wearing a tank top and short shorts, and not that I was looking, but she was hot as hell. I can envision a massage in my plans down the road. :)

Marcus Aurelius
07-10-2013, 06:38 PM
I think that was the most thorough practitioner I've ever seen in my life. The appointment was for 2pm and their website says it's normally about 45 minutes, but to allow an extra 45 minutes the first visit for her to get to know me and my history, take vitals and all the other stuff. I was there till 5pm! She showed me nearly every point of my body and what effects what. It was a hell of a learning experience. I never realized how parts of the body affect other parts of the body. Like on my left foot, by the big toe, is an area that effects the liver. Another one for the spleen. Areas on the arms that affect your heart, and intestines. And the ears, they are in touch with everything. She went overboard in explaining things to me, which I really appreciated.

The acupuncture part was about 5 minutes to put the needles in and 20 minutes with the lights dimmed and music in the background. 5 needles in each ear, one near the right thumb, and right wrist, by the left wrist, and 2 on each foot. It was weird, but yet relaxing. I don't know if I hallucinated or not, but when I left I felt better. My anxiety was at like a 7 out of 10, and I felt almost normal when I left, groggy in fact. Of course it is no cure, and my anxiety and such is still there, but it made a great deal of difference, or so it seemed.

She also gave me a ton of free stuff. A baggie full of tea bags for calming the nerves, aromatherapy and even burned me a few CD's that will help with meditation/relaxation. It was funny at times too, seems like she was like a 60's hippie maybe. Very cool though. And they also have therapeutic massages there, and the woman that gives them came in while I was waiting to be seen. Also very friendly, but was wearing a tank top and short shorts, and not that I was looking, but she was hot as hell. I can envision a massage in my plans down the road. :)

Pleased you had a good experience. However, make sure you don't start leaning on this as a substitute for traditional western medicine. It should be part of your care, not the entirety of it... IMHO.

Voted4Reagan
07-10-2013, 07:12 PM
http://www.zymetrical.com/oscthumb.php?src=/images/arrow-through-head.jpg&w=420&h=385&fltr[]=wmt%7CZymetrical%20Novelties%7C7%7CTop%7C999999%7 Carial.ttf%7C50%7C0%7C0&f=jpg&q=90&hash=71c4b4ca04a21cdf8c3826c6cdfa3c36

jimnyc
07-11-2013, 05:29 AM
Pleased you had a good experience. However, make sure you don't start leaning on this as a substitute for traditional western medicine. It should be part of your care, not the entirety of it... IMHO.

Oh, no doubt. I think it very well could be a good tool IN ADDITION to my regular doctors. Hell, if it even gives me a single day of relief, it's worth it. But I would certainly never bypass a medical doctor if I have an illness, or pains. I would consider this a 'supplement' to my regular doctors.

tailfins
07-11-2013, 06:28 AM

Why don't you put that restless leg syndrome to good use?

http://communitywarehouse.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/9-10-003.jpg