PDA

View Full Version : Yes, It's 'Back-to-School' Time

Kathianne
07-11-2013, 12:17 PM
Just saw this article, http://www.cnbc.com/id/100877413?__source=yahoo|finance|headline|headline |story&par=yahoo&doc=100877413|Good%20Grades%20Ahead%20for%20Bac and it spurred a post in my mind. ;)

Having spent more than 3/4 of my life in school one way or another and having put 3 kids through universities, I know something about 'back-to-school.'

I know it can be more than a 'budget buster,' indeed I used to go into a meltdown mode right after the 4th. Shoes! Argg!! 3 kids and each needing multiple pairs of shoes! Parochial schools here require 'hard soled shoes' for uniform. Gym shoes are self-explanatory. Then there are the shoes required for sports and activities. White Keds for cheer. Football and soccer. Running and cross country. Serious, serious money. Now is the time to be hunting for shoe sales. Contact the coaches, band directors, etc., to find exactly what is going to be required in August or September. Do NOT ask your kid, they probably don't know and you don't need to have a $55 pair of royal blue tennies sitting in their closest, when powder blue was required. Seriously.

School 'fees' whether private or public can also be a huge hit. If you get over to your school office right now, you can get a very good idea on the costs you will be facing in a month. If you call, they will likely not answer your questions. In person however, they are preparing for the 'registration dates' and all those fees are on forms. You CAN find out and begin a plan. There will still be surprises, but not leading to a freak out.

I still remember the year one of my kids was taking driver's ed. Another 2 AP courses, one in 'engineering.' Between the 2 of them, the 'fees' were over $900! We are talking over 8 years ago! The 3rd kid was my favorite until Christmas! Her costs were "only" $200. For most of us, that takes planning or something important is going to give. In high schools where the parents really do pay the majority of costs, like mine, the more courses that are 'technical,' i.e., math, science, or practical, the higher the costs for texts and fees. Note, none of those costs included extra-curricular activities other than 'band' or 'orchestra.' Even those didn't include SHOES! or travel expenses.

Many people look at the ads or displays in stores and see the '.10 folders' and the .25 notebooks and think, "How expensive is this really?" Supplies are the least of it and the most easy to control. Truth is, those costs haven't 'changed' in 40 years! Neither have kids. They still want the 'Crayola Big Box' and the folders with princesses or superheroes! Those don't go on sale until after school starts, except in July. ;) The 'summer sales' are last years 'hot' items, keep that in mind. Those 'big boxes' of crayons or markers? Likely to find that there isn't enough room in their desk or locker for them, of course that will be pointed out to you in late Sept or October during Open House, when you see their disorganized desk or locker.

Keeping in mind the 'get the kid organized' buy as many folders and notebooks in yellow, blue, red, black, green, etc., as your budget can take. Think of what your kids need: wide-ruled or college ruled. (wide ruled is for generally under 12 or 'big handwriting'; college ruled is for neater and smaller writers.) If you have 3 kids in grades 4-8, 20 notebooks in red for MATH is not too many. I kept them in the closet with the wrapping paper and cards and gift boxes. Same with paint sets, crayons, markers, glue, mechanical pencils, and poster board. Buying them when the are a dime or quarter is the way to go. Having a place for supplies also helps prevent some of the headaches associated with class projects 'spung' at 8 pm, the night before they're due. Oh yeah, keep and save magazines and catalogs with school supplies, they'll be required for a host of projects. A notebook with Spidey on it will cost you over $3! 6 different Spidey folders and notebooks are not organizational friendly. Buy a t-shirt later.

Here's the deal regarding 'stuff' I learned over the years. What Kylie thinks will be a 'must have' for 3rd grade folders is likely to be out in September. Something else will be 'new.' Look over the 'required items' lists from the teachers. Tissue and paper towels are needed. The teacher will store them. Keep in mind that the Kleenex boxes are also decorative. Buy nice ones, on sale. 3 glue sticks aren't needed in August or September, 1 will do. Those extras will get lost in desk or locker, which will just add to your headache at Open House! Buy and keep the others at home, with the supplies. When Justin needs one in November, you'll have it.

From 3rd grade up, a good backpack is essential. Go general in looks, pink or camo is fine, avoid characters. With the required 'electronics' follow the list or teacher recommendations. Whether it's a calculator or electronic pad, the right maker will make a difference in effectiveness with that class. Again, the sooner you can find out, the better buy becomes possible. You may be able to snag one on e-Bay. Used is fine, as long as it works.

Trapper Keepers may be the most effective tool invented for students in the past 50 years! They are worth their weight in gold. Help your kid not too overstuff, they can add and subtract as the year goes on. Color code subjects and dividers. Make math one color, Language Arts another, Science another, etc. (keep all your kids on the same colors, it makes the supplies easier to manage!) Running low on yellow folders and notebooks? Buy when on sale. Works year after year!

Speaking of Trappers, get a pencil bag with 3 holes. Add 3, #2 mechanical pencils, 3 blue and 3 black pens, 2 red, 2 green.

Don't buy 'cheap' pencils, the erasures don't work well! Buy good pencils at sale prices.

Thunderknuckles
07-11-2013, 01:00 PM
You're a real Pro Kat!!
This is another reason why men need women. If it were left in my hands, I send my kids off to school with a pencil and a Pee-Chee :laugh:

Trigg
07-11-2013, 04:00 PM
no no no no no no

That's all I could think of when I read the thread title.

Summer just got started I refuse to start thinking of school supplies (I need a smily with it's hands over it's ears saying lalalalalallalala)

aboutime
07-11-2013, 04:31 PM
no no no no no no

That's all I could think of when I read the thread title.

Summer just got started I refuse to start thinking of school supplies (I need a smily with it's hands over it's ears saying lalalalalallalala)

Will this help Trigg?...........5234