PDA

View Full Version : California Cadet Corps

Robert A Whit
07-16-2013, 12:44 AM
http://www.calcadetcorps.org/Hayward.htm

This is my former high school. I don't know the author but he gave a good account.

I want to point out he also spoke of the range in Wildcat Canyon. That range is long gone.

I hope that the certifications came through. Vaguely I recall this guy with the last name Nissen. This author says he camped in that area. There was plenty of area for camping but my class was there one day only and we did not camp out.

I clearly recall Major Best. I had forgot his first name was Neil. He was around 50-60. He had a lot of experience in the Army. This author went up the ranks and became a Cadet Officer. I was simply not that interested and as I recall I was a Corporal. That was my last year.

Anyway, this confirms my comments about my time. All but the machine gun but the idea of the military was to use guns. We were lucky that the day we went to Wildcat Canyon, a .50 cal on a tripod was available to shoot and I fired it maybe 6-10 rounds. Ammo was expensive so we didn't shoot it much. We had some of the school target .22 cal rifles and I may have shot the .30 cal machine gun too. Those I fired at Ft. Ord CA later after being drafted.

Anyway, I have been very honest and dismiss those claiming I lied.

Hayward Union High School

The following information and documents were provided by Sheldon Parks who was a Cadet at Hayward Union High School from 1949 to 1951:

"My name is Sheldon Parks , I was at Hayward Union High School from 1949 until 1952, I was a member of the California Cadet Corps all those years ... I believe I was attached to Co I , 3 Bn, 11th Regiment, at Hayward Union High School. I was a Cadet from 1949 until 21 April 1950, when I was promoted to Staff Sgt. I was a Staff Sgt from 21 Apr 1950 until 22 Sep 1951 when I was appointed Cadet Second Lieutenant until I graduated from High School in Dec 1952."

(See attached copies of the promotion documents at the bottom of this page.)
"I found some info on the battalion and here are a few names of Officers of our unit Battalion Staff:

Cadet Major Howard Garrigan - Battalion Commander
S 1 Cadet Lt. Dick Nissen - Personnel
S 2 Cadet Lt. Sheldon Parks - Intelligence
S 3 Cadet Lt. James Shields - Plans & Training
S 4 Cadet Lt. Frank Kendall - Supply

Cadet Captain David Burke
Cadet Captain James Pendergast

Major Neil Best was our advisor teacher commander what ever title he had and was assisted by Dennis Duniphin.

Our District Supervisor was Colonel Richard A. Webb

Our Cadets attended a bivouac at Wildcat Canyon Rifle Range belonging to the California National Guard over the weekend of Nov. 23, 1951. The program covered the following subjects Instructional programs, Physical training, Small Unit Tactics, Field Problems and firing the M-1 Rifle all under the supervision of Cadet Officers.

I know I was on the Rifle Team and I was a Drill instructor at one time and also went to Sacramento with my drill team we got some award, I just can't remember what we won. I also got some medals for the rifle team.

I think that when I was Chief of Police in Texas and got elected as Constable in Texas that I heard that Cadet Major Howard Garrigan was elected Sheriff of Alameda County California."

http://www.calcadetcorps.org/Haward/Warrant.jpg

http://www.calcadetcorps.org/Haward/Commission.jpg

Marcus Aurelius
07-16-2013, 06:59 AM
''' (http://www.calcadetcorps.org/Hayward.htm)

Anyway, this confirms my comments about my time. All but the machine gun but the idea of the military was to use guns. We were lucky that the day we went to Wildcat Canyon, a .50 cal on a tripod was available to shoot and I fired it maybe 6-10 rounds. Ammo was expensive so we didn't shoot it much. We had some of the school target .22 cal rifles and I may have shot the .30 cal machine gun too. Those I fired at Ft. Ord CA later after being drafted.

Anyway, I have been very honest and dismiss those claiming I lied...

So, to confirm my previous point, you were not 'highly trained to use machine guns' by your own admission, after first having stated quite plainly you were.

You can 'dismiss' anything you like, but in most of the world, when you say something you know is not true, it's called a lie... regardless of whether or not you retract it later, the statement itself is still a lie.

Pretty sure that was on topic.

Marcus Aurelius
07-16-2013, 07:12 AM
I'm done in here now.

Larrymc
07-16-2013, 07:31 AM
http://www.calcadetcorps.org/Hayward.htm

This is my former high school. I don't know the author but he gave a good account.

I want to point out he also spoke of the range in Wildcat Canyon. That range is long gone.

I hope that the certifications came through. Vaguely I recall this guy with the last name Nissen. This author says he camped in that area. There was plenty of area for camping but my class was there one day only and we did not camp out.

I clearly recall Major Best. I had forgot his first name was Neil. He was around 50-60. He had a lot of experience in the Army. This author went up the ranks and became a Cadet Officer. I was simply not that interested and as I recall I was a Corporal. That was my last year.

Anyway, I have been very honest and dismiss those claiming I lied.

Hayward Union High School

The following information and documents were provided by Sheldon Parks who was a Cadet at Hayward Union High School from 1949 to 1951:

"My name is Sheldon Parks , I was at Hayward Union High School from 1949 until 1952, I was a member of the California Cadet Corps all those years ... I believe I was attached to Co I , 3 Bn, 11th Regiment, at Hayward Union High School. I was a Cadet from 1949 until 21 April 1950, when I was promoted to Staff Sgt. I was a Staff Sgt from 21 Apr 1950 until 22 Sep 1951 when I was appointed Cadet Second Lieutenant until I graduated from High School in Dec 1952."

(See attached copies of the promotion documents at the bottom of this page.)
"I found some info on the battalion and here are a few names of Officers of our unit Battalion Staff:

Cadet Major Howard Garrigan - Battalion Commander
S 1 Cadet Lt. Dick Nissen - Personnel
S 2 Cadet Lt. Sheldon Parks - Intelligence
S 3 Cadet Lt. James Shields - Plans & Training
S 4 Cadet Lt. Frank Kendall - Supply

Cadet Captain David Burke
Cadet Captain James Pendergast

Major Neil Best was our advisor teacher commander what ever title he had and was assisted by Dennis Duniphin.

Our District Supervisor was Colonel Richard A. Webb

Our Cadets attended a bivouac at Wildcat Canyon Rifle Range belonging to the California National Guard over the weekend of Nov. 23, 1951. The program covered the following subjects Instructional programs, Physical training, Small Unit Tactics, Field Problems and firing the M-1 Rifle all under the supervision of Cadet Officers.

I know I was on the Rifle Team and I was a Drill instructor at one time and also went to Sacramento with my drill team we got some award, I just can't remember what we won. I also got some medals for the rifle team.

I think that when I was Chief of Police in Texas and got elected as Constable in Texas that I heard that Cadet Major Howard Garrigan was elected Sheriff of Alameda County California."

http://www.calcadetcorps.org/Haward/Warrant.jpg

http://www.calcadetcorps.org/Haward/Commission.jpg
Interesting but completely unnecessary, but i seen the post that prompted <label for="rb_iconid_14">http://www.debatepolicy.com/images/icons/icon14.png</label>

Robert A Whit
07-16-2013, 11:12 AM
With but one motive, we have here some dispute (to label a poster a liar of course) a fact.

Since I spent 2 years in the CCC, was highly trained to fire the .22 cal target rifle, and it is a gun, I did not lie. I said including machine guns but any gun owner knows if they get trained in any gun, it moves them very far down the path of being highly trained. If they get to shoot a machine gun, is there anything remarkable about shooting a gun mounted on a tripod, locked down, that is so much a problem a person has to be trained as many hours in that gun when they spent a lot of time firing the .22?
Of course not. Training in any gun will train you to fire any gun.

I am sick of unfairly being called a liar. I have at all times emphasized the target rifle over the machine gun but the rifle was hand held, with a sling on it and the target was much smaller than the target at Wildcat Canyon range.

Calling posters liars is terrible and not conducive to peace on forums.

Marcus Aurelius
07-16-2013, 11:40 AM
With but one motive, we have here some dispute (to label a poster a liar of course) a fact.

Since I spent 2 years in the CCC, was highly trained to fire the .22 cal target rifle, and it is a gun, I did not lie. No one called you a liar for saying you were highly trained on a 22 rifle in the CCC. You were called a liar for claiming you were highly trained on machine guns in the CCC. A claim you've already admitted was false. Making false claims is called lying, and there really is no other word for it.

I said including machine guns but any gun owner knows if they get trained in any gun, it moves them very far down the path of being highly trained. That depends entirely on the level of training. Saying 'training' is close to 'highly trained' is a severe overstatement.

If they get to shoot a machine gun, is there anything remarkable about shooting a gun mounted on a tripod, locked down, that is so much a problem a person has to be trained as many hours in that gun when they spent a lot of time firing the .22?
Of course not. Training in any gun will train you to fire any gun. That is patently ridiculous. Training to fire a 22 rimfire rifle is NOT going to enable you to fire an M61 Vulcan mini cannon. No one who knows anything about weapons would make such a claim as yours.

I am sick of unfairly being called a liar. It's been completely fair. If you dislike being called something, stop doing what it is you are being called. Simple solution.

I have at all times emphasized the target rifle over the machine gun but the rifle was hand held, with a sling on it and the target was much smaller than the target at Wildcat Canyon range. There's yet another lie. Your very first statement was that you were highly trained on guns including machine guns. Remember, you've already retracted that and admitted you were not highly trained on machine guns.

Calling posters liars is terrible and not conducive to peace on forums. I call them like I see them. Again, if you'd simply stop making wild, easily disprovable claims, you'd have a much easier time of it here.

My comments in RED above. BTW... I thought you were done responding to me? Isn't that what you told Jim yesterday?

aboutime
07-16-2013, 01:11 PM
Robert. Consider this, if you please. If you decided not to intervene with your Life Experiences on every thread, and just offered a sincere, kind opinion. Rather than finding more reasons to prove others constantly wrong, or as uninformed as you think we are. Maybe. Just maybe. None of these on-going arguments that go NOWHERE in every thread...wouldn't take place.

For crying out loud man. This is not the ROBERT forum. Members are not posting their life stories...better known as Autobiographies, in each and every thread. Then challenging anyone to dispute them...just to start other arguments.

How long must it take for you to recognize. ROBERT is not the only Living Human Being on Earth who has a story to share with people who REALLY DON'T CARE?

I Know you won't read this, because you said you won't. But. If you happen to read this. Please, Please, Please...don't start off again by accusing me of trying to get attention...and insult you.

Only YOU have been accusing me, and others of making threads....bound for the CAGE, while each, and every attempt to prevent that has been STYMIED by YOU.