PDA

View Full Version : 'The Logic of Flaps'... or... 'Why Robert Whitless is whitless about flaps'

Marcus Aurelius
07-16-2013, 01:29 PM
http://www.planeandpilotmag.com/proficiency/flight-training/the-logic-of-flaps.html

By any measure, flaps have almost no downside, but they're perhaps the least appreciated component of an aircraft. They help determine one of the least glamorous but most essential speeds in an airplane—how slow it can fly.

No matter how effective they are (or in the case of the Swift, aren't), flaps make a pilot's job exponentially easier in virtually all respects. They deploy from the trailing edge of the wings and increase the camber or curvature of the airfoil, improving the lift coefficient in the process.

Contrary to what you might think, some types of wings can actually benefit from a reflex or negative flap setting. Maule used to equip its airplanes with a negative or reflex flap position.

The company claimed an extra three to five knots with the flaps in the -5 degree position. That's five degrees above a streamlined wing attitude. further proof of the post I made regarding lift and wing shape.

If the runway is short and there's a need to plant it on and stop it short, consider raising the flaps immediately upon touchdown to place more weight on the main gear and enhance braking action.I seem to remember 'someone' claiming flaps are and should be used as brakes... what a dumb ass 'he' is!

aboutime
07-16-2013, 01:34 PM
http://youtu.be/2UEuHczduXg

jimnyc
07-16-2013, 01:41 PM
Please give it a rest. I'm tired of dealing with this crap, day in and day out. Place one another on ignore already and stop ruining the board for everyone else. I can't even enjoy my own board, as every time I come here I have to deal with repeated fighting threads and repeated reported posts. If you don't like the guy, instead of chasing him around, place him on ignore. Robert has just received a message of the same, to stop reading the bullshit and place people on ignore. This crap has to stop.