Marcus Aurelius
07-19-2013, 10:32 AM
http://nssf.org/safety/basics/

1. Always Keep The Muzzle Pointed In A Safe Direction
2. Firearms Should Be Unloaded When Not Actually In Use
3. Don't Rely On Your Gun's "Safety"
4. Be Sure Of Your Target And What's Beyond It
5. Use Correct Ammunition
6. If Your Gun Fails To Fire When The Trigger Is Pulled, Handle With Care!
7. Always Wear Eye And Ear Protection When Shooting
8. Be Sure The Barrel Is Clear Of Obstructions Before Shooting
9. Don't Alter Or Modify Your Gun, And Have Guns Serviced Regularly
10. Learn The Mechanical And Handling Characteristics Of The Firearm You Are Using

Granted, 2 & 7 do not apply when your using a weapon for self defense. However, in general, these are good rules to follow in most situations.

aboutime
07-19-2013, 02:23 PM
Marcus. You forgot number 11. For the people who stare at Orange Juice containers that say "CONCENTRATE".

11. Never test any weapon by looking in the hole at the end of the barrel when pulling the trigger.

logroller
07-25-2013, 01:29 AM
Don't spill beer in the action....maybe that falls under rule 8 :coffee:

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
07-28-2013, 01:17 PM
Treat your weapon as the most important tool you'll likely ever own! After all how many tools do you own that have the capacity to save your life as well as that of others that you cherish and love? My guns are treated with that respect. I look upon each one as a justice giver. If forced , each one may become just that. Woe unto the miserable soul that forces me to use a gun to stop them. For I will not hesitate a micro second once making the decision to end their miserable life! And that person or persons had better know I will not stop until enough pieces of hot lead have ended their days on this planet. That is how you prepare mentally to make yourself a survivor and increase your chances of saving yourself or others that you love. Mental preparation is as much a key as is hundreds of hours of practice. In my case thousands of hours, since I've been shooting seriously since about age 6. That is just shy of 54 years and easily over 30,000 rounds of ammo(low estimate)!! Just me but I do have more respect for a man that has taken the time to teach himself how to defend himself and his family. In fact, a great many of us good 'ole southern BOYS CUT OUR TEETH ON LEARNING GUNS AND THEIR PROPER USE. Sure I have respect for guys that have never ever owned or used a gun(great respect too) but I have far more respect for those that have added that much needed ability to their list of family and patriotic responsibilities!-- Tyr

red state
07-31-2013, 08:55 PM
Marcus, I agree that a loaded gun is not good for the gun (especially springs) but I prefer a revolver for "dresser drawer" or "night stand" self defense. You don't have to worry with dust and there are no springs to worry about weakening the clip.

As for Tyr, I also pity the person because I will always hesitate to display my weapon BUT if I am forced to reveal it, it will more than likely be used. You don't threaten someone with what you're gonna do....you either punch him or shoot him because threats only escalate the situation and only serve to warn the ENEMY of what your next move will be. Folks know how to act and if they act "inappropriately" they can expect to be treated VERY much appropriately with a fist down their throat or a hole [CENTER MASS].

I've had my kids shoot guns (all but my youngest who is now 14) cuz she absolutely refused to shoot or hunt. My eldest daughter and 19 year old son, however, have shot since they were 2. My son killed his first deer with my Belgium made Browning auto 30.6 at 5 and then his first buck (a six point) with his BRAND NEW Japanese made Browning Stainless Stalker bolt action at age 6. I have since given my eldest daughter my old Belgium cuz she has taken 5 or 6 deer with it over the years. They know how to handle a gun and respect them and I respect them by entrusting them. If I EVER thought that they'd abuse my trust or respect, they'd lose something very precious to them (and I'm not just talking about their treasured guns).

I have guns all over the place and they know not to touch any of my guns (or theirs) unless they are going hunting or plan to clean them. An unloaded or locked away gun is of no value when you hear your doors being kicked out or you see three "unfriendlies" rounding a corner. Who knows, I may need my son to come to our aid if ever I'm at a disadvantage. He has a virtual arsenal now that he's quite the man and I have confidence in his ability. He still won't shoot a hand gun though....don't ask me why. Perhaps if I got him a wimpy 22. HA!!!

I have to tell this one before I go...I've had my son shooting a bb gun and 22 since he was 3 and when it came time to hunt (age 5) I told him that I had bought him a new "SPECIAL" 22 for his birthday (which is Sept). Well, I continued to let him bust balloons with his 22 bolt action but we took his "SPECIAL" 22 hunting on that cold YOUTH DAY hunt which lands on the last day of archery season. I had 2X4's built into the stand with sand bags duct taped to them (just like he was used to practicing with) and I had taken special care in loading him some 90gr hollow points for his 30.6 LEFTY bolt action. They kick less than a 243 (which is what many youths use as their first) and he downed a downed a doe that cold, frosty morning at 109 steps. He missed the first two shots (HIGH) and after I saw the frost kick up behind the deer, told him to aim at the white just behind the leg....he did and the deer dropped immediately. He had just hit the top of the deer's back but it was enough to bring down the house! His next deer, a six point, was in a portable stand with hardly anything to brace his 30.6 and I had "upgraded" his load. Over the years, he's used larger and larger loads till he now shoots a 165 gr 30.6 and a 45/70 for primitive season. I'm going to tell you right now that I don't even like shooting that accursed thing!!!!! H@

Anyway, I hope this wasn't too much off the subject but I believe it was good to point out how important it is to teach our kids and teach them EARLY the "right" way. Perhaps I'm a terrible parent but I've been told otherwise by so many that I am swollen with pride. If America had the same kids that I see in my area, at our schools and at the local church, we'd be such a better Nation.....and a safer one.

Jeff
07-31-2013, 09:07 PM
Don't spill beer in the action....maybe that falls under rule 8 :coffee:

logroller one New years eve we where at my sons and of course at midnight we pulled the guns out and shot into the ground well my sons buddy had just bought this Glock 40 he was in love with man it was all he talked about and he bought one of those off brand Mags that held ( I think ) it was 23 well he started to shoot it and after a couple it jammed and him and my son are looking at the gun trying to figure out what to do so I told them drop the Mag and try the slide so the kid says OK and as he goes to drop the mag for some reason using two hands he steady poured beer all down the gun, he got all upset and my kid ( the smart ass ) tells him beer is good for it it will condition it so they get the shell UN lodged and my boy talks him into pouring beer all down the barrel just all over, needless to say the next morning I taught him how to tear it down and clean it , but ya had to see how serious this kid was thinking he was protecting his gun with beer:laugh:

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
07-31-2013, 09:08 PM
Don't spill beer in the action....maybe that falls under rule 8 :coffee: Additionally its a sin to spill and waste good beer! :laugh:-:beer:, some would even say a mortal sin of the greatest magnitude..;)--Tyr

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
07-31-2013, 09:13 PM
logroller one New years eve we where at my sons and of course at midnight we pulled the guns out and shot into the ground well my sons buddy had just bought this Glock 40 he was in love with man it was all he talked about and he bought one of those off brand Mags that held ( I think ) it was 23 well he started to shoot it and after a couple it jammed and him and my son are looking at the gun trying to figure out what to do so I told them drop the Mag and try the slide so the kid says OK and as he goes to drop the mag for some reason using two hands he steady poured beer all down the gun, he got all upset and my kid ( the smart ass ) tells him beer is good for it it will condition it so they get the shell UN lodged and my boy talks him into pouring beer all down the barrel just all over, needless to say the next morning I taught him how to tear it down and clean it , but ya had to see how serious this kid was thinking he was protecting his gun with beer:laugh: I hate to have to tell you this bro' but yes you sinned too! -:laugh:

Larrymc
07-31-2013, 09:23 PM
Additionally its a sin to spill and waste good beer! :laugh:-:beer:, some would even say a mortal sin of the greatest magnitude..;)--TyrOh yea your a southern boy alright.

Jeff
07-31-2013, 09:30 PM
It was worth every penny :laugh: yall had to see this Kid he was on top of the world because he had a Glock , when he fired it you would of thought he a 50 cal in his hand , hat on backwards Cigeratte in mouth just as cool as cool could be and when I told him you just ruined your gun he looked like a baby that just lost his pacifier :laugh: I let him sulk for a while then told him just take it down and clean it and I even told him I had all the cleaning supplies he needed ( he was from SC so all he had was his guns )but he had to admit he didn't know how , MY kid shot beer out of his nose laughing cause if ya didn't know this kid the way he acted ya would of thought he was a gun smith

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
07-31-2013, 09:31 PM
Oh yea your a southern boy alright. rite down to my huntin' boots and skinning knife my friend... I kan' skin a rabbit faster that you can say Jack Robinson. :laugh:

red state
07-31-2013, 09:37 PM
Jeff, how dare you teach a kid how to break down their gun and care for it!!!! That is so terribly wrong by today's standard. Seriously tho, guys, can you imagine how much tax money WE GUN FREAKS have saved our military in teaching gun use and safety. On the other hand, can you imagine how many soldiers have been accidentally shot by kids who were never taught how to use and/or respect a weapon. I know the drills teach them much but with OUR kids....it is second nature by that age. I shutter to think about the accidents from kids who are ignorant and do not respect guns. I worked with a young black guy (well we were both young then) and he wanted me to take his handgun home with me, shoot it and tell him what I thought. I gave it back to him the next day and simply told him to get rid of it cuz it was going to get him killed. After he agreed to do as I asked, I explained why.....and it wasn't simply because the gun jammed REPEATEDLY and inconsistently but because he was not ready for a gun of any kind until he had made time to learn and listen to someone who did. A year or two later, he was on the police force and I couldn't have been prouder. He was a good kid but, like so many, needed to learn that a gun was not a tool to be used but a friend to cherish. You know, I forget his name but I remember him just the same. I believe he was a Greene and his first name Al. Everyone called him big something cuz he was a whopping 6'5" 350 lbs. he lost a little of that but not much when he got on the force.....I doubt that big son-of-a-gun EVER had to draw his weapon. HA!!!! I'd be afraid to shoot him out of fear that I didn't have the correct penetration. HA!!! Seriously though. He was a good ole boy and I hope he has made captain by now.

red state
07-31-2013, 09:40 PM
It was worth every penny :laugh: yall had to see this Kid he was on top of the world because he had a Glock , when he fired it you would of thought he a 50 cal in his hand , hat on backwards Cigeratte in mouth just as cool as cool could be and when I told him you just ruined your gun he looked like a baby that just lost his pacifier :laugh: I let him sulk for a while then told him just take it down and clean it and I even told him I had all the cleaning supplies he needed ( he was from SC so all he had was his guns )but he had to admit he didn't know how , MY kid shot beer out of his nose laughing cause if ya didn't know this kid the way he acted ya would of thought he was a gun smith

too cold....TOO COLD! But it was the best thing for him in the long run. He learned to care for his gun and he learned not to be so damn ignorantly gullible!!!! Especially around the likes of "JEFF" the yankee. HA!!!!

Jeff
07-31-2013, 09:43 PM
Jeff, how dare you teach a kid how to break down their gun and care for it!!!! That is so terribly wrong by today's standard. Seriously tho, guys, can you imagine how much tax money WE GUN FREAKS have saved our military in teaching gun use and safety. On the other hand, can you imagine how many soldiers have been accidentally shot by kids who were never taught how to use and/or respect a weapon. I know the drills teach them much but with OUR kids....it is second nature by that age. I shutter to think about the accidents from kids who are ignorant and do not respect guns. I worked with a young black guy (well we were both young then) and he wanted me to take his handgun home with me, shoot it and tell him what I thought. I gave it back to him the next day and simply told him to get rid of it cuz it was going to get him killed. After he agreed to do as I asked, I explained why.....and it wasn't simply because the gun jammed REPEATEDLY and inconsistently but because he was not ready for a gun of any kind until he had made time to learn and listen to someone who did. A year or two later, he was on the police force and I couldn't have been prouder. He was a good kid but, like so many, needed to learn that a gun was not a tool to be used but a friend to cherish. You know, I forget his name but I remember him just the same. I believe he was a Greene and his first name Al. Everyone called him big something cuz he was a whopping 6'5" 350 lbs. he lost a little of that but not much when he got on the force.....I doubt that big son-of-a-gun EVER had to draw his weapon. HA!!!! I'd be afraid to shoot him out of fear that I didn't have the correct penetration. HA!!! Seriously though. He was a good ole boy and I hope he has made captain by now.

I never hesiatate to try and help, teach a person about guns, and I explain to all of them we all started somewhere I was lucky enough to have my dad teach me enough respect and how to handle and care for a gun the rest came in time , so when I see a kid like my sons friend get made a fool of ( as long as he isn't going to get hurt or hurt anyone else ) I let him go next time he wont think he is a know it all and may ask before doing something stupid

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
07-31-2013, 10:03 PM
I never hesiatate to try and help, teach a person about guns, and I explain to all of them we all started somewhere I was lucky enough to have my dad teach me enough respect and how to handle and care for a gun the rest came in time , so when I see a kid like my sons friend get made a fool of ( as long as he isn't going to get hurt or hurt anyone else ) I let him go next time he wont think he is a know it all and may ask before doing something stupid
I agree completely. It costs nothing to be generous with instructions and information. Young man obviously need both badly. I would have done the same. Hell, I love guns so much I often volunteered to clean friends's gun collections just for the fun of it . Of course that gave me valuable info if years later they were selling those guns. And gave me an inside edge with them as they often came to me first with the offer to sell. Those were the good 'ole days back when I made loads of cash wheeling and dealing with guns. :beer:-Tyr

logroller
08-01-2013, 12:21 AM
logroller one New years eve we where at my sons and of course at midnight we pulled the guns out and shot into the ground well my sons buddy had just bought this Glock 40 he was in love with man it was all he talked about and he bought one of those off brand Mags that held ( I think ) it was 23 well he started to shoot it and after a couple it jammed and him and my son are looking at the gun trying to figure out what to do so I told them drop the Mag and try the slide so the kid says OK and as he goes to drop the mag for some reason using two hands he steady poured beer all down the gun, he got all upset and my kid ( the smart ass ) tells him beer is good for it it will condition it so they get the shell UN lodged and my boy talks him into pouring beer all down the barrel just all over, needless to say the next morning I taught him how to tear it down and clean it , but ya had to see how serious this kid was thinking he was protecting his gun with beer:laugh:
Hilarious. Nice of you to teach him how to break it down. As tyr mentioned, learning respect for firearms, including proper maintenance, how to clear a jam etc, is as much a part of firearm handling as which end the bullet comes out. I suppose we should add put your beer down before checking on a jam. I'm a fan of two hands on the gun while in the act of shooting; ie weaver stance. Also, while the rules in the op may be helpful to some, but I've always favored the four rules taught by jeff cooper; mostly because they're easy to remember. (I may paraphrase them)
1) treat every firearm as if its loaded;
2) don't point it at something you're not willing to kill or destroy;
3) keep your finger off the trigger until you're ready to fire;
4) know your target and beyond.

And of course, don't spill beer in the action-- it's not good for the gun and, as tyr pointed out, its a waste of beer. ;)
If you feeling curious, google Jeff cooper-- he pretty much wrote the book on many aspects of pistol handling and techniques of an armed confrontation, focusing on the necessary mental preparedness utilizing color codes. Man had some great quotes too; for example, "no more than five to ten people in a hundred who die by gunfire in Los Angeles are any loss to society. These people fight small wars amongst themselves. It would seem a valid social service to keep them well-supplied with ammunition."

Jeff
08-01-2013, 06:41 AM
Hilarious. Nice of you to teach him how to break it down. As tyr mentioned, learning respect for firearms, including proper maintenance, how to clear a jam etc, is as much a part of firearm handling as which end the bullet comes out. I suppose we should add put your beer down before checking on a jam. I'm a fan of two hands on the gun while in the act of shooting; ie weaver stance. Also, while the rules in the op may be helpful to some, but I've always favored the four rules taught by jeff cooper; mostly because they're easy to remember. (I may paraphrase them)
1) treat every firearm as if its loaded;
2) don't point it at something you're not willing to kill or destroy;
3) keep your finger off the trigger until you're ready to fire;
4) know your target and beyond.

And of course, don't spill beer in the action-- it's not good for the gun and, as tyr pointed out, its a waste of beer. ;)
If you feeling curious, google Jeff cooper-- he pretty much wrote the book on many aspects of pistol handling and techniques of an armed confrontation, focusing on the necessary mental preparedness utilizing color codes. Man had some great quotes too; for example, "no more than five to ten people in a hundred who die by gunfire in Los Angeles are any loss to society. These people fight small wars amongst themselves. It would seem a valid social service to keep them well-supplied with ammunition."

I didn't kno who wrote them but that is the four I always go by and pass on to new shooters

logroller
08-01-2013, 06:49 AM
I didn't kno who wrote them but that is the four I always go by and pass on to new shooters
Ditto on the passing on. I've heard stories about them being attributed to some civil war general or somesuch, but Cooper pushed firearm safety extensively; plus he's such a badass, I prefer to think they're his.