PDA

View Full Version : Columnist says Zimmerman trial exposed ‘the tragedy of black education’ in the United

Jeff
07-20-2013, 06:16 AM
Now this I could see Obama coming out to speak about , a senior in H.S that can't read cursive writing ,let alone speak the American Language . To me this is news worthy the system has failed them, my boys are going into middle school and can read cursive writing so at best Jeantel has a 5 Th grade education but at the end of this year will be graduating High school , I was over on another board and there resident racist said this girl can speak 3 languages , well one isn't English that is for sure so I am guessing he is talking about Ebonics ( which isn't a language ) and maybe street talk ( I would consider that to be Ebonics ) but to call this woman retarded would be giving those with real disabilities a bad name

WASHINGTON, D.C. – Two top teacher union leaders say the recent acquittal of George Zimmerman has important ramifications for America’s educators.
http://joeforamerica.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/zimmerman-columinist.jpgNational Education Association President Dennis Van Roekel and American Federation of Teachers President Randi Weingarten are calling on teachers to join the NAACP-led effort to get the U.S. Justice Department to charge George Zimmerman with civil right violations for his role in the death of Trayvon Martin, an African-American teenager, reports The Washington Post (http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/answer-sheet/wp/2013/07/15/teachers-unions-urge-federal-action-against-george-zimmerman/).

http://joeforamerica.com/2013/07/columnist-says-zimmerman-trial-exposed-the-tragedy-of-black-education-in-the-united-states/

Gaffer
07-20-2013, 07:45 AM
The girl is not retarded. She's ignorant. That is not meant as a put down but a description of her education. To be ignorant is to not know. She is either ignorant because the school failed to educate her or she is willfully ignorant, because she chose not to learn.

Trinity
07-20-2013, 09:07 AM
She does speak 3 languages.......

Slang, Sarcasm, and Profanity......;)

Trigg
07-20-2013, 11:20 AM
“Jeantel is by no means an exception at her school. Here are a few achievement scores from her school: Thirty-nine percent of the students score basic for reading, and 38 percent score below basic. In math, 37 percent score basic, and 50 percent score below basic.
“Below basic is the score when a student is unable to demonstrate even partial mastery of knowledge and skills fundamental for proficient work at his grade level. Basic indicates only partial mastery.”
Williams continues:
“Few Americans, particularly black Americans, have any idea of the true magnitude of the black education tragedy. The education establishment might claim that it’s not their fault. They’re not responsible for the devastation caused by female-headed families, drugs, violence and the culture of dependency.
“But they are totally responsible for committing gross educational fraud. It’s educators who graduated Jeantel from elementary and middle school and continued to pass her along in high school. It’s educators who will, in June 2014, confer upon her a high-school diploma.”

What ever happened to holding kids back???? It went out when teachers and parents were more worried about their children's "feelings" than their ability to do the work required. That is why we have kids like Jeantel. When schools lower standards it only hurts the kids.

aboutime
07-20-2013, 01:08 PM
I remember seeing a headline that she bragged about having a 3.0 GPA.

Then, I realized. She was just talking about the number of times she failed PRE-SCHOOL!

As for the author of the story. I totally agree with him. I have been trying to get that point across for years.

And the only reply I got in return, was being called a Racist, Bigot, and Ignorant White Boy.