PDA

View Full Version : Think Again: China's Military

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
07-24-2013, 09:32 AM
http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2010/02/22/think_again_chinas_military "China's Military Is a Growing Threat." Not yet. After two decades of massive military spending to modernize its armed forces, amounting to hundreds of billions of dollars, China increasingly has the ability to challenge the United States in its region, if not yet outside it. But the ability to project force tells us very little about China's willingness to use it.
Certainly, China has made moves over the last few years that have stoked the China-is-a-dangerous-threat crowd in Washington. In 2007, for instance, Beijing launched a missile that obliterated a communications satellite -- a dramatic and unexpected display of capability -- and then kept mum for 12 days before a Foreign Ministry spokesperson finally admitted it took place, stating (http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/24/world/asia/24china.html): "This test was not directed at any country and does not constitute a threat to any country." In May 2008, satellite imagery revealed that China had constructed a massive subterranean naval base on the southern island of Hainan, presumably a staging point to launch naval operations into the Pacific. This January, China conducted another anti-missile test, shortly after the United States announced arms sales to Taiwan.
<!-- SHARE BOX --> (http://www.addthis.com/bookmark.php?v=20)<!-- AddThis Button END -->
<!-- END SHARE BOX --> Similar developments have reliably shown up in annual Pentagon reports on China's military expansion, not to mention in articles such as Robert Kaplan's alarmist 2005 essay: "How We Would Fight China (http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200506/kaplan)." Even Robert Gates, the mild-mannered U.S. defense secretary, warned last year (http://www.defense.gov/Speeches/Speech.aspx?SpeechID=1337) that China's military modernization "could threaten America's primary means of projecting power and helping allies in the Pacific: our bases, air and sea assets, and the networks that support them." Last fall, Adm. Robert Willard, the new head of the U.S. Pacific Command, noted that (http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2009/nov/05/inside-the-ring-70787975/print/) "in the past decade or so, China has exceeded most of our intelligence estimates of their military capability," implying that maybe the alarmists are onto something.
At the same time, China's leaders vehemently denounce any suggestion that they are embarked on anything other than what they have referred to as a "peaceful rise" and haven't engaged in major external hostilities since the 1979 war with Vietnam. But they also don't explain why they are investing so heavily in this new arms race. Beijing's official line is that it wants to be able to defend itself against foreign aggression and catch up with the West, as it was famously unable to do in the 19th century

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
07-30-2013, 09:50 AM
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/aggressive-chinese-territorial-claims-bring-risks-u-general-191344232.html By Andrea Shalal-Esa Aggressive Chinese territorial claims bring risks: U.S. general
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Aggressive moves by China to assert territorial claims run the risk of "miscalculations" but are also helping Washington strengthen ties with other countries in the region, the general who oversees U.S. air forces in the Pacific said Monday.
"Being fairly aggressive runs the risk of creating the potential for miscalculation," Air Force General Herbert Carlisle told defense reporters in Washington. "That's something we think about every day."
The United States is shifting its military and diplomatic focus to the Asia Pacific region partly because of a buildup by Beijing. China has been involved in territorial disputes with the Philippines and Vietnam over islands in the South China Sea and with Japan over the uninhabited Senkaku islands.
Carlisle said he was concerned that some of China's actions could trigger a larger response. "It's a complex, changing environment," he said. "Every action has unintended consequences and second and third order effects."
Carlisle said at the same time China's moves were helping Washington expand its own ties in the region, as seen in a recent announcement that Washington and Manila had expanded talks on military cooperation.
"Some of their fairly assertive, aggressive behavior has in fact brought our friends (closer) and they're relying on us to be there and to be present," he said.
In some cases, those allies could ultimately wind up buying defense equipment from non-U.S. suppliers, but they wanted an increased U.S. presence as a counterweight to China, he said.
The Pentagon was working to increase rotations of U.S. troops through Asia, much as it rotated troops through Europe at the time of the Cold War, Carlisle said.
He said half of the Air Force's F-22 fighter jets were in the Pacific region; the first foreign basing of the new F-35 fighter, built by Lockheed Martin Corp, would also be in Asia; and Global Hawks unmanned spy planes built by Northrop Grumman Corp would also be sent to the area.

Voted4Reagan
07-30-2013, 10:19 AM
In terms of a land army... China has the Man-Power. Their development of Modern style MBT's(Main Battle Tanks) and other systems make them formidable.

But it ends there..

They have no real ability for Power Projection. with only 95 Amphibious Landing ships (many outdated) they cant land that army anywhere..

Their subs are no where near comparable to US or Russian designs and easily tracked. They do have Sea Launch Ballistic Missiles.

Air Power is good, but they have an obsolete Bomber Fleet a nd Fighters compose the Majority of their air Wings.. The SU-30's and the J-11's are good planes. But they still are not on the level of the western powers. China has NO STEALTH capability.

The Navy has 1 Aircraft Carrier of Soviet design. Mostly destroyers of the Soviet 1970's Sovremmeny Class

Good Ships... during the Cold war... but now old and out dated... But still dangerous.

Overall...China Lags behind a bit..

aboutime
07-30-2013, 12:06 PM
In terms of a land army... China has the Man-Power. Their development of Modern style MBT's(Main Battle Tanks) and other systems make them formidable.

But it ends there..

They have no real ability for Power Projection. with only 95 Amphibious Landing ships (many outdated) they cant land that army anywhere..

Their subs are no where near comparable to US or Russian designs and easily tracked. They do have Sea Launch Ballistic Missiles.

Air Power is good, but they have an obsolete Bomber Fleet a nd Fighters compose the Majority of their air Wings.. The SU-30's and the J-11's are good planes. But they still are not on the level of the western powers. China has NO STEALTH capability.

The Navy has 1 Aircraft Carrier of Soviet design. Mostly destroyers of the Soviet 1970's Sovremmeny Class

Good Ships... during the Cold war... but now old and out dated... But still dangerous.

Overall...China Lags behind a bit..

V4R. Agree with you on the Manpower numbers. But, humans need food, and supplies to be efficient military threats.
Otherwise. From my personal point of view, and based on much of the information I am aware of today, and from the past.
I have no fear of the Chinese Military, nor what weapons they have, or plan to have.
They have stolen much of the technical, warfighting data, and been handed a lot of missile tech information by both Clinton,
and Obama.
As for their navy, and air forces. They may have pretty looking ships, and planes. But PAINT does wonders on the outside, while the Inside is nothing but CRAP, held together by Chewing gum, and Glue.
I am more worried about the occupant of 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. than any Chinese military threat.
Bottom line. China needs the U.S.A. to survive. We are China's biggest source of PROFIT...just visit a Walmart, and read the
"MADE IN CHINA" tags.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
08-01-2013, 08:54 AM
What you guys are both missing is that with our decay and their very rapid growth it could easily be that they surpass us in the next 4 or 5 years, certainly in the next ten years that's a good possibility. Don't ridicule it so much , the military isn't --they are moving assets in place to try to counter it. They wouldn't be doing that if it was imaginary or if China was truly the paper tiger some would have us believe. You don't think the Korean war was just about us and the N. Koreans do you? China was so very much weaker way back then. They are hell bent to replace us on the military might scale too. They have the manpower and thanks to our sending so many of our industries over there they have the money too. Money we don't have.. Think about that.............................................. .................................................. .................................................. .... Had Rome helped Carthage the way we have helped the Chinese Rome would have lost in that struggle for survival. Rome was never that stupid!-Tyr

Voted4Reagan
08-01-2013, 09:29 AM
V4R. Agree with you on the Manpower numbers. But, humans need food, and supplies to be efficient military threats.
Otherwise. From my personal point of view, and based on much of the information I am aware of today, and from the past.
I have no fear of the Chinese Military, nor what weapons they have, or plan to have.
They have stolen much of the technical, warfighting data, and been handed a lot of missile tech information by both Clinton,
and Obama.
As for their navy, and air forces. They may have pretty looking ships, and planes. But PAINT does wonders on the outside, while the Inside is nothing but CRAP, held together by Chewing gum, and Glue.
I am more worried about the occupant of 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. than any Chinese military threat.
Bottom line. China needs the U.S.A. to survive. We are China's biggest source of PROFIT...just visit a Walmart, and read the
"MADE IN CHINA" tags.

You are correct old friend... On Land they are formidable. But they lack the logistics to conduct operations for any lengthy period away from Chinese Soil.

Biggest threat threat they have is their ICBM's and Subs.

Thier subs are noisy and easily detected by our Hunter/Killer Los Angeles Class Boats.

They wont engage us again like they did in Korea... Nixon and Kissenger assured us of that. They are communist but they are monetarily driven... eventually Capitalism will defeat Communism. Even in China.

No real threat from China.. Not even to Taiwan.

cadet
08-01-2013, 10:14 AM
I wouldn't worry about china. All their stuff breaks too easily. It'd be an easy war if we had to face them.

aboutime
08-01-2013, 01:55 PM
What you guys are both missing is that with our decay and their very rapid growth it could easily be that they surpass us in the next 4 or 5 years, certainly in the next ten years that's a good possibility. Don't ridicule it so much , the military isn't --they are moving assets in place to try to counter it. They wouldn't be doing that if it was imaginary or if China was truly the paper tiger some would have us believe. You don't think the Korean war was just about us and the N. Koreans do you? China was so very much weaker way back then. They are hell bent to replace us on the military might scale too. They have the manpower and thanks to our sending so many of our industries over there they have the money too. Money we don't have.. Think about that.............................................. .................................................. .................................................. .... Had Rome helped Carthage the way we have helped the Chinese Rome would have lost in that struggle for survival. Rome was never that stupid!-Tyr

Tyr. That decay you are speaking of IS TAKING PLACE. But...only in the upper ranks, where politics plays hard, loose, and fast.
Our military, on it's worse days, with everything broken, or in need of repair is STILL...The most efficient, and greatest military on Earth.
Because the Pretend CIC, and Idiots in Congress want to play games in destroying our military. That doesn't mean OUR AMERICANS IN UNIFORM will just drop everything, and go home.
That's not gonna happen.
And, on the other side of the equation. We have China. Yes. They have a larger Human force. But....being human means, they must EAT, BE HEALTHY, and have the TOOLS that work well enough to be a threat to US. And THEY AREN'T EVEN CLOSE.
ICBM's are dangerous in the wrong hands. But...we also have ICBM's, and several other kinds of Submarine Launched missiles that have been designed to detect, track, and destroy any, and all potential Incoming, Enemy weapons.

I am not afraid of China. Only Obama, and Congress should be. They stand to lose their JOBS. Our military will always be around.

Kathianne
08-01-2013, 02:15 PM
Tyr has some very valid points. Our foreign policy has been a disaster and shows no signs of improving, just using today's example of Russia giving Snowden temporary asylum.

Regarding the rise of Chinese power, not necessary for US and China to go head-to-head, just the rise of Eastern hegemony would be a problem in both costs and treasure to US.

http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2013/06/10/we_face_a_very_serious_chinese_military_threat_jap an_defense_minister_interview

http://nationalinterest.org/commentary/the-tragedy-us-foreign-policy-8810 (http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2013/06/10/we_face_a_very_serious_chinese_military_threat_jap an_defense_minister_interview)

Between the two interested folks should be able to look at this beyond just the military aspects.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
08-01-2013, 06:23 PM
Tyr. That decay you are speaking of IS TAKING PLACE. But...only in the upper ranks, where politics plays hard, loose, and fast.
Our military, on it's worse days, with everything broken, or in need of repair is STILL...The most efficient, and greatest military on Earth.
Because the Pretend CIC, and Idiots in Congress want to play games in destroying our military. That doesn't mean OUR AMERICANS IN UNIFORM will just drop everything, and go home.
That's not gonna happen.
And, on the other side of the equation. We have China. Yes. They have a larger Human force. But....being human means, they must EAT, BE HEALTHY, and have the TOOLS that work well enough to be a threat to US. And THEY AREN'T EVEN CLOSE.
ICBM's are dangerous in the wrong hands. But...we also have ICBM's, and several other kinds of Submarine Launched missiles that have been designed to detect, track, and destroy any, and all potential Incoming, Enemy weapons.

I am not afraid of China. Only Obama, and Congress should be. They stand to lose their JOBS. Our military will always be around. My friend a lot has changed since you retired in 1995. I do not condemn our men and women in uniform ever, I do absolutely condemn politicians and much of the military top brass. Much of that top brass has other interests(personal and financial) besides the best interests of the military. Ask yourself this, why is China making our military's combat boots? What other much needed military articles are they making, uniforms, combat helmets etc? And if we are at war with them will our guys go fight barefooted and naked? Too much has been given to China that puts us at a severe disadvantage early on in a major military conflict with them ! And yes they designed an anti-aircraft carrier missile especially engineered to destroy--American aircraft carriers! All that while sold out politicians here cry they are our allies! And yes Kat made a great point about the civilian aspect of our mistakes in our dealings with China. China has bought its way in at great advantage. They have been caught and still continue to hack into major U.S. military and financial networks IN ORDER TO USE THAT KNOWLEDGE FOR FINANCIAL GAIN AND AS A MILITARY ADVANTAGE AT SOME FUTURE DATE. -Tyr

aboutime
08-01-2013, 07:40 PM
My friend a lot has changed since you retired in 1995. I do not condemn our men and women in uniform ever, I do absolutely condemn politicians and much of the military top brass. Much of that top brass has other interests(personal and financial) besides the best interests of the military. Ask yourself this, why is China making our military's combat boots? What other much needed military articles are they making, uniforms, combat helmets etc? And if we are at war with them will our guys go fight barefooted and naked? Too much has been given to China that puts us at a severe disadvantage early on in a major military conflict with them ! And yes they designed an anti-aircraft carrier missile especially engineered to destroy--American aircraft carriers! All that while sold out politicians here cry they are our allies! And yes Kat made a great point about the civilian aspect of our mistakes in our dealings with China. China has bought its way in at great advantage. They have been caught and still continue to hack into major U.S. military and financial networks IN ORDER TO USE THAT KNOWLEDGE FOR FINANCIAL GAIN AND AS A MILITARY ADVANTAGE AT SOME FUTURE DATE. -Tyr

Tyr. I appreciate your opinion, and the way you investigate, then share your feelings here.
Most of what you and Kathianne have said. I have said in the past. But. What I say here has no substance, nor is it important to anyone else.
After I retired in 1995. I didn't crawl under a rock, or hide anywhere.
I live with, and around thousands of Military, active duty people, and their families.
If I am unable to say what anyone wants to hear on DP. So be it.
Unfortunately. I have access to Real Time, actual information because of my past, and where I live.
If that's not good enough for anyone to accept.
I'll find somewhere else to go, and deal with others who are willing to have mutual discussions, not based on what some suppose, or think.
Sorry to sound this way. But, I'll just stop offering any of my opinions related to the military since everyone else is so much more highly informed than I.

Why bother?

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
08-01-2013, 08:16 PM
Tyr. I appreciate your opinion, and the way you investigate, then share your feelings here.
Most of what you and Kathianne have said. I have said in the past. But. What I say here has no substance, nor is it important to anyone else.
After I retired in 1995. I didn't crawl under a rock, or hide anywhere.
I live with, and around thousands of Military, active duty people, and their families.
If I am unable to say what anyone wants to hear on DP. So be it.
Unfortunately. I have access to Real Time, actual information because of my past, and where I live.
If that's not good enough for anyone to accept.
I'll find somewhere else to go, and deal with others who are willing to have mutual discussions, not based on what some suppose, or think.
Sorry to sound this way. But, I'll just stop offering any of my opinions related to the military since everyone else is so much more highly informed than I.

Why bother? My friend I respect you and you already know that. I respect both your knowledge and your service to this nation. I do not ever doubt that you have a great deal of military knowledge. What we have here is a difference of opinion on how far advanced China has become and how far and how fast our military is declining. I certainly made no indications that were not knowledgeable about the military and that your opinion was to be ignored. In fact your opinion has caused to me to do even more research which I had just taken a break from to return here to read replies. No need to think I do not value your posts and your accumulated knowledge, especially military knowledge. We are in a state of decline and just how rapidly that can be advanced by Obama the next three years may amaze the entire world.. Surely my disagreeing with you the first time ever that I recall is not a big deal. Hell, I never claim to be perfect or ever always right... Should I find myself to be in error on this you'll be the first one I admit it to. A measure of my respect for you that is..... Surely you would not cut me so deeply over such a trivial matter.. -Tyr

aboutime
08-01-2013, 08:50 PM
My friend I respect you and you already know that. I respect both your knowledge and your service to this nation. I do not ever doubt that you have a great deal of military knowledge. What we have here is a difference of opinion on how far advanced China has become and how far and how fast our military is declining. I certainly made no indications that were not knowledgeable about the military and that your opinion was to be ignored. In fact your opinion has caused to me to do even more research which I had just taken a break from to return here to read replies. No need to think I do not value your posts and your accumulated knowledge, especially military knowledge. We are in a state of decline and just how rapidly that can be advanced by Obama the next three years may amaze the entire world.. Surely my disagreeing with you the first time ever that I recall is not a big deal. Hell, I never claim to be perfect or ever always right... Should I find myself to be in error on this you'll be the first one I admit it to. A measure of my respect for you that is..... Surely you would not cut me so deeply over such a trivial matter.. -Tyr

Tyr. I fully appreciate all that you said, and respect you as well for your willingness to express your views here.
Perhaps I should have posted differently as to not insult you, or anyone else. That was, by no means. My intention. However. I should have emphasized how the American People in general...actually are so complacent, and uncaring about the state of our military, and our readiness with threats like China...knocking at our door.
I agree. China is a major threat. But..not as many might think; knowing how their Economy, for billions of people is so, so dependent upon WE, THE PEOPLE of the U.S.A.
Our relationship, despite the stupidity of Obama, and Democrats when it comes to foreign relations is fragile. Nobody will deny that as long as Obama, and Democrats run the Senate. But militarily. I DO NOT FEAR China because...I am still privy to much of what our military capabilities really are, what they have been, and what is just around the corner. DESPITE the Obama attempts to destroy our Military from within, and without.
Thank you for being there, and understanding what I feel is most important. Though I am just an Old, Tired, Unwelcome to most..trouble-maker. I have never compromised myself by intentionally attempting to deceive anyone with Lies, or as Kathianne called it..."hyperbole", or "fabrications".
I have no reason to do such things since I know, and understand how many members of DP distrust, and dislike almost everything I say here.
Too bad for them. My father didn't raise any Liberal Loving idiot who acts like a sheep, and never investigates to find the facts, before presenting...only the truth to anyone willing to listen.
If anyone dislikes what I say.
That's their problem. Not mine. At least I know. It's true, and Honest.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
08-01-2013, 09:20 PM
Tyr. I fully appreciate all that you said, and respect you as well for your willingness to express your views here.
Perhaps I should have posted differently as to not insult you, or anyone else. That was, by no means. My intention. However. I should have emphasized how the American People in general...actually are so complacent, and uncaring about the state of our military, and our readiness with threats like China...knocking at our door.
I agree. China is a major threat. But..not as many might think; knowing how their Economy, for billions of people is so, so dependent upon WE, THE PEOPLE of the U.S.A.
Our relationship, despite the stupidity of Obama, and Democrats when it comes to foreign relations is fragile. Nobody will deny that as long as Obama, and Democrats run the Senate. But militarily. I DO NOT FEAR China because...I am still privy to much of what our military capabilities really are, what they have been, and what is just around the corner. DESPITE the Obama attempts to destroy our Military from within, and without.
Thank you for being there, and understanding what I feel is most important. Though I am just an Old, Tired, Unwelcome to most..trouble-maker. I have never compromised myself by intentionally attempting to deceive anyone with Lies, or as Kathianne called it..."hyperbole", or "fabrications".
I have no reason to do such things since I know, and understand how many members of DP distrust, and dislike almost everything I say here.
Too bad for them. My father didn't raise any Liberal Loving idiot who acts like a sheep, and never investigates to find the facts, before presenting...only the truth to anyone willing to listen.
If anyone dislikes what I say.
That's their problem. Not mine. At least I know. It's true, and Honest. Don't knock yourself so hard my friend. This is not P.com. I gather that you have more than a few friends here that appreciate your contributions. Stand your ground just as you always do. We both believe in doing that and its not to ever be taken lightly. Those that do take it that way are most often shown the error of their ways soon enough. :beer:--Tyr

Kathianne
08-02-2013, 11:36 AM
For the record, from everything I've learned about AT on the board, I have no reason to believe he's anything but honest. I can't imagine that I accused him of fabrications. Hyperbole? Yes. AT, might want to ask Tyr how many times I've said the same about his choice of words? ;) The use of hyperbole has its appropriate place, but not to make opinion truth. Same with bombastic remarks.

I've said time and again, that someone's style may rub me the wrong way and I react. That problem is mine, not the other poster's. How they react to my reaction though, that's on them.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
08-02-2013, 06:21 PM
For the record, from everything I've learned about AT on the board, I have no reason to believe he's anything but honest. I can't imagine that I accused him of fabrications. Hyperbole? Yes. AT, might want to ask Tyr how many times I've said the same about his choice of words? ;) The use of hyperbole has its appropriate place, but not to make opinion truth. Same with bombastic remarks.

I've said time and again, that someone's style may rub me the wrong way and I react. That problem is mine, not the other poster's. How they react to my reaction though, that's on them. You are correct AT is an honest man that tells it exactly how he sees it. I wish far more people would be that way! Kat, I've never taken your posts as a personal attack on me. I see your point and know quite well that I engage in hyperbole perhaps a bit too much . My only defense to that is , passion for what's right leads me to blast out in a colorful manner to get people's attention and make them see more than the usual media propaganda. If others read my words then look deeper into the issue I feel that I've accomplished something already with that alone. Bombastic remarks are often like blackberry cobbler to me, oh please don't take my bombastic remarks away! :laugh: . Kat you being so boldly truthful has it's own charm and garners respect from me ! And even does so on the rare occasions that we disagree. My ego is not so fragile that I'd attack and try to diminish another person that I felt was honorable. God forbid that I should ever fall so low as that! I've been on a lot of forums and no two ladies ever impressed me as much as you and Abbey have. That's a fact.--Tyr

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
08-10-2013, 11:51 AM

But it ends there..

Overall...China Lags behind a bit.. How behind is this then??
http://www.strategypage.com/htmw/hticbm/articles/20130424.aspx Chinese Carrier Killer Works
Next Article → ARMOR: China Calls It A Tank On Wheels (http://www.strategypage.com/htmw/htarm/20130424.aspx)

<!-- SP-News-200x200 -->

Chinese Carrier Killer Works
Next Article → ARMOR: China Calls It A Tank On Wheels (http://www.strategypage.com/htmw/htarm/20130424.aspx)
<!-- Article Start --> April 24, 2013: The U.S. Navy believes that China has already begun deploying the DF-21D ballistic missile, which was designed for use against the U.S. Navy, particularly aircraft carriers. In response, the Americans are developing defenses and countermeasures against the DF-21D. Details of this effort are, for obvious reasons, kept secret.
The basic DF-21 is a 15 ton, two stage, solid fuelhttp://images.intellitxt.com/ast/adTypes/icon1.png (http://www.strategypage.com/htmw/hticbm/articles/20130424.aspx#) missile that is 10.7 meters (35 feet) long and 140cm (4.6 feet) in diameter. Range varies (from 1,700-3,000 kilometers) depending on model. The DF-21D is believed to have a range of 1,500-2,000 kilometers. While the 500-2,000 kg (.5-2 ton) warhead usually contains a nuclear weapon, there are also several types of conventional warheads, including one designed for use against warships. Some of these conventional warheads are for use against targets in Taiwan. This is because the DF-21, as a longer range ballistic missile that comes down on the target faster than the 1,200 shorter range ballistic missiles aimed at Taiwan. That means that the DS-21 is too fast for the Pac-3 anti-missile missiles Taiwan is installing around crucial installations.
Until recently, there was no evidence that the complete DF-21D system had been tested. But recently satellite photos showed a 200 meter long white rectangle in the Gobi Desert (in Western China) with two large craters in it. This would appear to be a “target” for testing the DF-21D, and two of the inert practice warheads appear to have hit the target. American carriers are over 300 meters long, although the smaller carriers (amphibious ships with helicopter decks) are closer to 200 meters long. It appears China is planning on using the DF-21D against smaller warships, or perhaps they just wanted to see exactly how accurate the missile could be.

aboutime
08-10-2013, 06:25 PM
How behind is this then??
http://www.strategypage.com/htmw/hticbm/articles/20130424.aspx Chinese Carrier Killer Works

<!-- SP-News-200x200 -->

Chinese Carrier Killer Works
<!-- Article Start --> April 24, 2013: The U.S. Navy believes that China has already begun deploying the DF-21D ballistic missile, which was designed for use against the U.S. Navy, particularly aircraft carriers. In response, the Americans are developing defenses and countermeasures against the DF-21D. Details of this effort are, for obvious reasons, kept secret.
The basic DF-21 is a 15 ton, two stage, solid fuelhttp://images.intellitxt.com/ast/adTypes/icon1.png (http://www.strategypage.com/htmw/hticbm/articles/20130424.aspx#) missile that is 10.7 meters (35 feet) long and 140cm (4.6 feet) in diameter. Range varies (from 1,700-3,000 kilometers) depending on model. The DF-21D is believed to have a range of 1,500-2,000 kilometers. While the 500-2,000 kg (.5-2 ton) warhead usually contains a nuclear weapon, there are also several types of conventional warheads, including one designed for use against warships. Some of these conventional warheads are for use against targets in Taiwan. This is because the DF-21, as a longer range ballistic missile that comes down on the target faster than the 1,200 shorter range ballistic missiles aimed at Taiwan. That means that the DS-21 is too fast for the Pac-3 anti-missile missiles Taiwan is installing around crucial installations.
Until recently, there was no evidence that the complete DF-21D system had been tested. But recently satellite photos showed a 200 meter long white rectangle in the Gobi Desert (in Western China) with two large craters in it. This would appear to be a “target” for testing the DF-21D, and two of the inert practice warheads appear to have hit the target. American carriers are over 300 meters long, although the smaller carriers (amphibious ships with helicopter decks) are closer to 200 meters long. It appears China is planning on using the DF-21D against smaller warships, or perhaps they just wanted to see exactly how accurate the missile could be.

One correction, if you don't mind. American armed forces HAVE ALREADY developed, and placed into service such defensive, and even offensive weapons against Our enemies.
We are always several steps ahead of the defensive curve when it comes to defending against our enemies, known, and unknown. Which is why I have so much confidence, and so little fear about our capabilities.
As for targeting our Aircraft Carriers. That has always been a threat since our First Aircraft carrier LANGLEY, was launched. Big ships, are always big targets. But...you never tell those who might try to attack...what they are up against if the do.