PDA

View Full Version : hmmmm dementia maybe?!

Trinity
07-24-2013, 07:50 PM
Just a heads up this is going to be a two part story only because it began about a week ago..... and I am copying and re posting from my Facebook page....

Saturday 7/20/13

The elderly women who was living next door to me and had moved in with her son about 6 weeks ago, came back to her house today to get some things and have her son mow the yard...... well she just called to tell me that her son left her there cause he was mad and she has no car and no food over there so she wants me to run her up to Kroger....seriously what a douche bag how are you going to leave your elderly mother there when all of her things are at your house....people make me sick.

Wednesday 7/24/13

wow just wow....you have got be f***ing kidding me.....so remember the story of me helping out the little old lady who lives next door because her son got mad and left her there.....yeah so I was thanked for my generous and helpful nature by being called a liar and a thief.....NICE.....she called my house today and left me a voice mail stating that we had stolen her doormats that she had just cleaned them the other day and left them in the driveway to dry....now me knowing she gets confused sometimes thinks well maybe she thought she had called someone else because she has done that on a few occasions.....but there are two voice mails basically stating the same thing.... and that she knows the guy we are getting our house from did not buy them and if I wanted to call the cops I could......so I get up and go look out my front and back doors and sure enough both of my door mats are gone....funny thing is they were brand new and had been bought by the guy we are buying the house from in January of 2012.....she has wiped her feet on them 100's of times coming in my house.....In the past year and 7 months we have lived here, we have done nothing but help this women out many many times, hell we were there when her own family was not.... we have cut her grass, helped her carry things in or out of her house, the boy's have helped her clean out her utility room....I have been feeding her cat for the past month....I took her dog in when she went to the hospital...I have taken her to the store so many times......and this is the thanks I get... my doormats stolen and called a liar and a thief....and the doormats... really.... that's irrelevant.... if you wanted them that bad...ask me....I probably would have given them to you....but to call me a liar and a thief....well I got one thing to say.... stay off my property, and here's a big F*** YOU!!!

a couple of hours later........

so she called my house just now...thinking she was calling someone else and when I told her it was me she said oh well you know I went with so and so and bought those doormats....and you were out there with me when I was cleaning them with the hose in the driveway the other day....I said no I was not.... and no you were not cleaning them.... they have never left the front of my door....she says oh yes I did.. you know I did... you were standing right there....ummmm no i wasn't.....well you stay off my property and I'm going to take you to court......smh ok at this point it's becoming sad she is obviously displaying signs of dementia and should not be living in that house alone nor should she still be driving a car....Time for a call to her son and if he doesn't do something to help her I am going to be left with no choice but to find out who I can contact to help her.

at this point I have not been able to contact her son any suggestions?

aboutime
07-24-2013, 08:07 PM
Just a heads up this is going to be a two part story only because it began about a week ago..... and I am copying and re posting from my Facebook page....

Saturday 7/20/13

The elderly women who was living next door to me and had moved in with her son about 6 weeks ago, came back to her house today to get some things and have her son mow the yard...... well she just called to tell me that her son left her there cause he was mad and she has no car and no food over there so she wants me to run her up to Kroger....seriously what a douche bag how are you going to leave your elderly mother there when all of her things are at your house....people make me sick.

Wednesday 7/24/13

wow just wow....you have got be f***ing kidding me.....so remember the story of me helping out the little old lady who lives next door because her son got mad and left her there.....yeah so I was thanked for my generous and helpful nature by being called a liar and a thief.....NICE.....she called my house today and left me a voice mail stating that we had stolen her doormats that she had just cleaned them the other day and left them in the driveway to dry....now me knowing she gets confused sometimes thinks well maybe she thought she had called someone else because she has done that on a few occasions.....but there are two voice mails basically stating the same thing.... and that she knows the guy we are getting our house from did not buy them and if I wanted to call the cops I could......so I get up and go look out my front and back doors and sure enough both of my door mats are gone....funny thing is they were brand new and had been bought by the guy we are buying the house from in January of 2012.....she has wiped her feet on them 100's of times coming in my house.....In the past year and 7 months we have lived here, we have done nothing but help this women out many many times, hell we were there when her own family was not.... we have cut her grass, helped her carry things in or out of her house, the boy's have helped her clean out her utility room....I have been feeding her cat for the past month....I took her dog in when she went to the hospital...I have taken her to the store so many times......and this is the thanks I get... my doormats stolen and called a liar and a thief....and the doormats... really.... that's irrelevant.... if you wanted them that bad...ask me....I probably would have given them to you....but to call me a liar and a thief....well I got one thing to say.... stay off my property, and here's a big F*** YOU!!!

a couple of hours later........

so she called my house just now...thinking she was calling someone else and when I told her it was me she said oh well you know I went with so and so and bought those doormats....and you were out there with me when I was cleaning them with the hose in the driveway the other day....I said no I was not.... and no you were not cleaning them.... they have never left the front of my door....she says oh yes I did.. you know I did... you were standing right there....ummmm no i wasn't.....well you stay off my property and I'm going to take you to court......smh ok at this point it's becoming sad she is obviously displaying signs of dementia and should not be living in that house alone nor should she still be driving a car....Time for a call to her son and if he doesn't do something to help her I am going to be left with no choice but to find out who I can contact to help her.

at this point I have not been able to contact her son any suggestions?

Seriously? My suggestion. As I hope I never get that bad, that quick is. Call your local police and ask them to send an officer to discuss something, NON-EMERGENCY about your neighbor.
It may sound cruel, or terrible but. Having a police officer visit you, and asking them to make a record of the visit..AND WHY. Might help you sleep better, and not feel guilty when you IGNORE her. Which I think. Should be your next move.
But do....ask to have an officer visit. Explain everything. They have probably dealt with the same kinds of problems before.
What can it hurt?
Just a suggestion.

Trinity
07-24-2013, 08:24 PM
yeah I am seriously thinking that might be my next move.

aboutime
07-24-2013, 08:52 PM
yeah I am seriously thinking that might be my next move.

It can't hurt. And, you can ask questions. Lot's of questions to set your mind at ease.

revelarts
07-24-2013, 10:03 PM
you can bypass the police and call social services.
you might want to be there if you can. When they talk to her.
the police will end up calling them anyway. and they'll be less threatening to her.
And she won't be giving them the story about you stealing her stuff as a BTW.

you may want to call social services and ask the proceders. some are more aggressive than others. and not in a good way. You don't want her shipped off in state custody if it's not really necessary.

I pray it goes well with you all.

FYI:
2 tablespoons of coconut oil a day has been shown to decrease the effects of dementia and Alzheimers significantly. scientist have found the coconut has the same fatty oils that brain cells are made from and maintained by.
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=coconut+oil+cures+dementia
God's good.

logroller
07-25-2013, 01:50 AM
I had a neighbor come over to my house at 10 at night and asked about some papers that had disappeared from his truck, inquiring as to whether I had any idea what might have happened to them. I said no. Then he continues to ask about me, whether I was a cop or something, undercover, yada yada-- Uh, no. He ends up leaving and then two minutes later another knock. It was him and he repeated the same line if question. Literally like déjà vu. Then I noticed a hospital bracelet on his wrist and figured he was looney tunes. I then interrupted him and and said I don't anything about your papers but is there anybody you trust that I could call for you. He shut right down and left. Weird. His wife later came and apologized, explaining that he was diabetic, under a lot of stress and had been drinking and not watching his blood sugar-- hence the batshit crazy moment. Anyways, long story short, maybe try the "is there someone you want me to call for you" line, implicitly saying "you're crazy, you need help", might work for your dilemma. You could have some fun with it instead, just act more crazy than her. Tell her those doormats are bugged with a tracking device you got from the KGB, that you've tracking her ever since they were taken, and released a marked dye invisible to the naked eye that is now on anyone's shoes who has used them and the mats will self-destruct if they're tampered with. Or try and get her help, but where's the fun in that.

glockmail
07-25-2013, 08:48 AM
Buy new doormats and screw them to your porch floor.

Abbey Marie
07-25-2013, 10:04 AM
I would just wait until the son or some other visitor shows up and talk to them about her driving. Other than possibly that, I'm just not seeing the emergency here. People used to act nutty and we would just wink and call them senile. Why is everything so deadly serious today?

Trinity
07-25-2013, 07:17 PM
I should probably mention hindsight is always 20/20.....and after thinking about how she was acting and talking (which was totally out of character for her) on Saturday when she came to my house for a short visit before her son got mad and left her....and the accusations she made yesterday....I recalled her telling me that she had fallen down at staples about a week and a half prior to that Saturday, and they took her to the hospital and her blood sugar level was 600.....but she never mentioned anything about following up with her doctor or being put on meds.....but after doing some research on it...I am beginning to think that she is diabetic....so I made a call to adult protective services.

Nukeman
07-25-2013, 07:26 PM
I should probably mention hindsight is always 20/20.....and after thinking about how she was acting and talking (which was totally out of character for her) on Saturday when she came to my house for a short visit before her son got mad and left her....and the accusations she made yesterday....I recalled her telling me that she had fallen down at staples about a week and a half prior to that Saturday, and they took her to the hospital and her blood sugar level was 600.....but she never mentioned anything about following up with her doctor or being put on meds.....but after doing some research on it...I am beginning to think that she is diabetic....so I made a call to adult protective services.

Trinity, this may sound crazy, but she may very well only have a urinary tract infection. Elderly women that have UTI's exhibit delusional and dementia type behavior. She need to see her family doctor before anything else is done, beside they can contact adult protective services to start the care process if it turns out to be something more serious. The LAST people I would call first is the police or protective services for a confused elderly person. They will end up lost in a system of bureaucratic bullshit...

Please look after her and see if you can help...

aboutime
07-25-2013, 07:48 PM
Trinity, this may sound crazy, but she may very well only have a urinary tract infection. Elderly women that have UTI's exhibit delusional and dementia type behavior. She need to see her family doctor before anything else is done, beside they can contact adult protective services to start the care process if it turns out to be something more serious. The LAST people I would call first is the police or protective services for a confused elderly person. They will end up lost in a system of bureaucratic bullshit...

Nukeman. I agree with you, partially. But the reason I suggested contacting the NON-EMERGENCY police line was to protect Trinity first. If the woman is having physical problems that cause mental problems. Why should innocent neighbors like Trinity be forced into make such decisions? The police have the ability to put the woman in contact with the proper help. Even if the son doesn't want to be a part of it. The Bullshit system is always in play. Nobody can stop that. But, inserting yourself into other people's problems should be decided by the Professionals, not a caring neighbor who could become a victim herself.

Kathianne
07-25-2013, 08:21 PM

One of many possibilities. Since it seems her son had taken her to his home for awhile, there must be issues. Then again, her being in his home may have caused other issues that led to her being returned to her home. Could be dementia of some cause or another, diabetes, UTI, or a host of other possibilities.

Police might be called for well being check. Human services for evaluation. She might return to 'normal' with insulin or something else.

She may just be batshit crazy.

Still and all, while the mats are minor in the scheme of things, something is up. If son won't deal with, someone will have to. Maybe social services, police or some other entity.

tailfins
07-25-2013, 08:30 PM
I would just wait until the son or some other visitor shows up and talk to them about her driving. Other than possibly that, I'm just not seeing the emergency here. People used to act nutty and we would just wink and call them senile. Why is everything so deadly serious today?

Police and prosecutors are often in a charge first and ask questions later mindset. Measures need to be taken to protect oneself from frivolous elder abuse charges. My half-siblings nearly put my sister in that position with "anonymous" phone calls to the authorities. They resented her charging minimum wage for giving up her livelihood and taking care of our Mom.

Kathianne
07-25-2013, 09:19 PM
Having cared for both of my parents, under very different circumstances, I'll say that it's always stressful. Just like having kids is stressful. There's joy and there's stress and there're the very sad times.

While I don't consider being divorced a 'blessing' it was when my parents needed me. That happened before they did and during the divorce they were there for me, big time. More importantly for my kids too. So when their turn came around, no question.

Not having a spouse made it easier, no worrying about answering to an equal partner. The kids for the most part, hadn't any issues having their grandparents here. Even when my mom's strokes caused her to lose a sense of propriety. One hot day, with my son's cross country buddies here, she threw off her blouse and bra. Too hot! LOL! They averted their eyes and went downstairs to play pool, (and probably gouge their eyes out!). Nothing was said to me or my dad, not even by said son. It was 'grandma' and they understood. Indeed, when they won the state championship, they decorated her wheelchair and basically made her their mascot during the school pep rally!

That son, the youngest, dealt with these issues the longest. He also learned the most. I truly believe that this then child was saved through the mix of my parents and his cross country team/coaches. Always wicked smart, he had true behavior disorders. He'd been in psychiatric and social worker care since the age of 7. He'd made good strides in middle school, dropping the psychiatrist and meds, continuing though with social worker. My folks had come for his 8th grade 'graduation' and that's when my mom broke her hip, then suffering additional strokes. No going back to FL.

He chose cross country over soccer his going into freshman year, just as he chose to take ALG I at community college that same summer, so he could enter high school in honors math. Events helped him reach for and attain a maturity that likely would not have come without the issues he faced. By the end of fall, the social worker said he didn't need anymore, though was available if things should change.

I'm going to cut this off, I'm rambling and confusing threads, tired after a day of filling out applications and trying to decide my next steps. I hope there is some sense to be made here.

SassyLady
07-26-2013, 12:18 AM
I had a neighbor come over to my house at 10 at night and asked about some papers that had disappeared from his truck, inquiring as to whether I had any idea what might have happened to them. I said no. Then he continues to ask about me, whether I was a cop or something, undercover, yada yada-- Uh, no. He ends up leaving and then two minutes later another knock. It was him and he repeated the same line if question. Literally like déjà vu. Then I noticed a hospital bracelet on his wrist and figured he was looney tunes. I then interrupted him and and said I don't anything about your papers but is there anybody you trust that I could call for you. He shut right down and left. Weird. His wife later came and apologized, explaining that he was diabetic, under a lot of stress and had been drinking and not watching his blood sugar-- hence the batshit crazy moment. Anyways, long story short, maybe try the "is there someone you want me to call for you" line, implicitly saying "you're crazy, you need help", might work for your dilemma. You could have some fun with it instead, just act more crazy than her. Tell her those doormats are bugged with a tracking device you got from the KGB, that you've tracking her ever since they were taken, and released a marked dye invisible to the naked eye that is now on anyone's shoes who has used them and the mats will self-destruct if they're tampered with. Or try and get her help, but where's the fun in that.

I knew there was a reason I like you!!! Sick and twisted and all with a straight face! :coffee: