PDA

View Full Version : Judge Rules Against the FCC, fleeting expletives are OK on TV!

ViolaLee
06-07-2007, 04:45 PM
An American judge has given warning that a landmark court ruling on the use of "fleeting expletives" could open the gates to a flood of celebrity 'F-words' on primetime television.

US networks were celebrating today after a US appeals court threw out a Federal Communications Commission (FCC) ruling against the Fox television network, saying that the agency's new policy on indecency was "arbitrary and capricious".

At issue was Fox's broadcast of the Billboard Music Awards in December, 2002, at which the singer Cher used the phrase "F*** 'em", and the same awards show a year later at which Nicole Richie asked: "Have you ever tried to get cow s**** out of a Prada purse? It’s not so f***ing simple.”

Fox, backed by other television networks and stations, appealed and yesterday the 2nd US Circuit Court of Appeals, found in its favour, ruling that the FCC had failed to explain properly why it had changed its long-term policy on the fleeting use of profanity. Fox is owned by News Corporation, parent company of The Times and Times Online.

The court rejected the FCC's policy that the words fuck or shit always had a sexual or excretory connotation.

And the most interesting part is that the court noted that Bush and Cheney used the words fuck and shit in ways not having to do with sex and excrement.

LOL! If our P and VP say it, it must be OK! LOL!

Specifically it noted that both President Bush and Vice-President Cheney were on record as having used those words in a non-literal way, Mr Bush when he told Tony Blair that the United Nations needed to "get Syria to stop Hezbollah to stop doing this s***' and Mr Cheney when he told a senator, on the floor of the Senate, to "f*** yourself'.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/us_and_americas/article1888983.ece

nevadamedic
06-07-2007, 04:50 PM
Nothing like hearing the F-Bomb dropped on national tv.

chum43
06-07-2007, 04:54 PM
Nothing like hearing the F-Bomb dropped on national tv.

you can hear it everywhere else... whats the big fucking deal!

maybe on over the air network stations I could see there being some restrictions, but who's to say what I want to hear on cable, there are plenty of stations that by choice don't use the words that are currently ok'd by the fcc because they slightly vulgar, let all these crazy parents with their child safety locks only allow their children to view those stations, let the stations that want a reputation for f'bombs have them... who cares.

5stringJeff
06-07-2007, 06:08 PM
I actually agree with this ruling. The FCC was trying to hold the networks responsible for people they couldn't control. How are the TV executives going to control some Hollywood idiot swearing at the Oscars? This keeps the TV stations from excessive and heavy-handed fines.

chum43
06-07-2007, 06:23 PM
I actually agree with this ruling. The FCC was trying to hold the networks responsible for people they couldn't control. How are the TV executives going to control some Hollywood idiot swearing at the Oscars? This keeps the TV stations from excessive and heavy-handed fines.

that too.

ViolaLee
06-07-2007, 11:34 PM
If the P and VP say it, why can't other people?

Isn't it weird that it was FOX's parent company appealing the law and the court commenting on Bush and Cheney's use of the words?

I mean it's always been the Republicans being hard-nosed and straight and square about the FCC issuing heavy fines for nipples and words...

nevadamedic
06-07-2007, 11:38 PM
If the P and VP say it, why can't other people?

Isn't it weird that it was FOX's parent company appealing the law and the court commenting on Bush and Cheney's use of the words?

I mean it's always been the Republicans being hard-nosed and straight and square about the FCC issuing heavy fines for nipples and words...

:lame2: :link:

5stringJeff
06-09-2007, 11:25 AM
ViolaLee, AKA "Samantha," has been banned.