PDA

View Full Version : New Car Shopping This Weekend

red states rule
07-30-2013, 03:46 PM
I have looked around, I have been pre-approved for a loan, and here is the car I am going to look at

The Chevy Spark (and no it is NOT a damn stupid ass electric car)

http://image.motortrend.com/f/roadtests/hatchbacks/1206_2013_chevrolet_spark_first_drive/37726841+w623+h388+cr1+ar0/2013-Chevrolet-Spark-front-rear-three-quarters.jpg

Great gas mileage and the payments will be reasonable. Unlike Obama and libs, I hate going into debt and I will work more OT to try and pay the loan off as early as possible

Robert A Whit
07-30-2013, 03:50 PM
These Democrats are forcing our autos to look more and more like we all live in Italy.

I would say bring back the muscle car but we have a number of them.

red states rule
07-30-2013, 03:53 PM
These Democrats are forcing our autos to look more and more like we all live in Italy.

I would say bring back the muscle car but we have a number of them.

For what I need out of a car - it is perfect. I do not need a large car but one that is easy on the ever increasing cost of gas. (Filling up once per week is my goal)

Another "accomplishment" of our beloved President who has seen the cost of gas double while doing his best NOT to drill for more oil

Robert A Whit
07-30-2013, 04:10 PM
For what I need out of a car - it is perfect. I do not need a large car but one that is easy on the ever increasing cost of gas. (Filling up once per week is my goal)

Another "accomplishment" of our beloved President who has seen the cost of gas double while doing his best NOT to drill for more oil

Normally my sole experience with the compact car is as a rental on trips. A woman T boned me in my heavy car and I was not injured but the car spent a month being rebuilt. Had I been in a tiny car, I would have been killed. Safety is very important to me. But as you say, for your purposes that is perfect.

Obama does not care and wants oil prices to be sky high. Naturally the oil companies accommodate him.

red states rule
07-30-2013, 04:11 PM
Normally my sole experience with the compact car is as a rental on trips. A woman T boned me in my heavy car and I was not injured but the car spent a month being rebuilt. Had I been in a tiny car, I would have been killed. Safety is very important to me. But as you say, for your purposes that is perfect.

Obama does not care and wants oil prices to be sky high. Naturally the oil companies accommodate him.

Don't be so hard on Obama. He does have a "new" energy plan Robert

http://media.townhall.com/Townhall/Car/b/mrz072913dAPR20130729044511.jpg

glockmail
07-30-2013, 06:00 PM
I have looked around, I have been pre-approved for a loan, and here is the car I am going to look at

Great gas mileage and the payments will be reasonable. Unlike Obama and libs, I hate going into debt and I will work more OT to try and pay the loan off as early as possible

Dude, get yourself a nice car, not a go cart. Look at the Chevy Camaro V6, the Mustang V6, or the Dodge challenger V6. Of all three the Dodge is probably the best since it has a Mercedes IRS chassis, the DOHC, twin variable valve timing Pentastar engine, and a 5speed automatic. And for under $25k it's a damn sexy bargain:

red states rule
07-30-2013, 06:27 PM
Dude, get yourself a nice car, not a go cart. Look at the Chevy Camaro V6, the Mustang V6, or the Dodge challenger V6. Of all three the Dodge is probably the best since it has a Mercedes IRS chassis, the DOHC, twin variable valve timing Pentastar engine, and a 5speed automatic. And for under $25k it's a damn sexy bargain:

Glock, thanks for your suggestion but I do not need a flashy car. My needs are small and Kat can tell you I am one cheap SOB :laugh2:

glockmail
07-30-2013, 08:21 PM
Glock, thanks for your suggestion but I do not need a flashy car. My needs are small and Kat can tell you I am one cheap SOB :laugh2: No one "needs" a flashy car. But you only live once, so be happy instead shoehorning yourself into a sardine can. 27mpg highway...

At least test drive one.

Back in '98 I had to get rid of my beloved '85 TBird that I drove for 11 years in upstate NY and drove down here, the trunk full of heavy tools and headlights searching for airplanes. (My moving company charged by the pound.) My kids were 4 and 6, and my wife wanted me to buy an Explorer or something "practical". I sold my old car privately, then went to the dealer and bought a blood red metallic Mustang GT, 4.6L V8 and a five speed manual transmission. It was the car that I had always wanted but couldn't have because I needed to haul crap, and now that my wife drove a minivan I could have a fun car. Plus the back seat folded down, linking the trunk with the passenger compartment, allowing me to haul stuff like 2x4's no problem. Anything bigger, I'd simply borrow the wife's van.

She was pissed when she found out that I had bought it. "We got two kids, they can't fit in that thing". "Of course they can sweetie, they are only 4 and 6. I can keep it until they get too big, which will be several years." I had to practically beg her to drive me to the dealer the next day so I could pick it up. She drove me to the dealer in silence, both kids in the back seats of the van, curious as to why mommy was mad at daddy. She turned the corner into the parking lot and there it was, parked in the release spot, gleaming in the sun like a sleek ruby jewel. She melted instantly when she saw it, and asked me excitedly "Is that it?!". I just glanced over at her and nodded, knowingly.

I drove it home and by that time she had regained her composure, and the ice was back on. After an hour or two I loaded both kids into the car and asked her if she wanted to join us for a ride, and she made an excuse not to. The kids loved it. They still talk about our rides years later.

The next day the kids were at an event and we had some time alone so I convinced her to take a ride. Two miles down the road I stopped the car, went around to the passenger side and opened the door, and told her that it was her turn to drive. She got in the driver's seat and we took off. I'll never forget the grin on her face once she got used to the clutch and then jammed the gas pedal down. She was hooked; stick a fork in her because she's done.

I kept that car for three years until I changed jobs and needed to carry my heavy investigation tools, gear and ladders. I had taken good care of it, and put 40k miles on it. There was one mark on the car where one of the kids had rode a bicycle into it. I advertised it for private sale, and had an adult buyer with my asking price of $13k in a week. It was perfect for him because he didn't want a car that had been driven by some kid and modified. I had paid $19.5k for it, so the capital costs were just over 16 cents per mile. It was a hell of a bargain.

My only problem with that car was that it needed 89 octane fuel. If I ran regular it would knock on hard acceleration. Gas stations mix 91 with 87 at the pump to try and make 89, and they often cheat you, so most of the time I just filled it with 91. Like you I hated wasting money.

Since the advent of DOHC, twin variable valve timing though, the V6 engines in the Challenger (3.6L) and Mustang (3.7L) run great on 87 octane gas. I can't speak for the Camaro because I've never driven one. They are very fuel efficient, and both have a lot more power than my '98 with a much larger engine. The torque bands are table-flat and wide, so they accelerate much better.

I prefer the Dodge because of the IRS. It rides like a big car, yet handles like a sports car.

SassyLady
07-30-2013, 08:47 PM
Red ... all I can say is that it's a good thing you and I aren't dating!!! I would never get in one of those little cars ... wouldn't feel safe in traffic. I love muscle cars and/or pickup trucks. I'm currently enamored of the Chrysler 300C ... specifically the one I have ... 2011, blackberry color and fully loaded.

Robert A Whit
07-30-2013, 09:04 PM
I love your car Sassy

My ride Pearl color

red states rule
07-31-2013, 02:20 AM
Red ... all I can say is that it's a good thing you and I aren't dating!!! I would never get in one of those little cars ... wouldn't feel safe in traffic. I love muscle cars and/or pickup trucks. I'm currently enamored of the Chrysler 300C ... specifically the one I have ... 2011, blackberry color and fully loaded.

Nice car SL. Classy car for a classy women

If we were dating I have many other attributes that would offset driving a small car. The Spark is about the same size as my 12 year old Echo. The traffic here is not that bad - except heading west of Friday's to get home. Everyone heads to the mountains for the weekend

My needs demand a small fuel efficient car. Lord knows how much higher gas prices will climb under Obama's energy plan

Oh wait, what energy plan?

glockmail
07-31-2013, 06:50 AM

I love those cars. It is possibly the world's best value in a luxury car. I wanted my wife to buy one but she opted for a much smaller BMW, with a lot less features, and for more money. Go figure.

glockmail
07-31-2013, 06:51 AM
Red, maybe your poor taste in cars is why you aren't dating. Just sayin'...

Jeff
07-31-2013, 07:25 AM
Red, maybe your poor taste in cars is why you aren't dating. Just sayin'...

Man if the woman you date will only date ya for the ride you pull up in she isnt worth having, most of my dating years ago ( god to many years ago :laugh:) I picked them up on a bike, and most of them loved it, if for some reason ( snow , rain ) I couldn't pick them up on the bike it was then a 4 wheel drive pick up and I never went without a date ( or at least I like to think so ;))

glockmail
07-31-2013, 07:44 AM
Man if the woman you date will only date ya for the ride you pull up in she isnt worth having, most of my dating years ago ( god to many years ago :laugh:) I picked them up on a bike, and most of them loved it, if for some reason ( snow , rain ) I couldn't pick them up on the bike it was then a 4 wheel drive pick up and I never went without a date ( or at least I like to think so ;))Face facts, Jeff. Women think a man is "hot" if he is successful. This is a proven fact. And people equate success with what you drive; another proven fact. Women also like sweet rides that are not over-the-top: stylish is probably the best term for what they like.

When I was in college I drove a Kawasaki KZ650C, deep blue paint, gold striping, sexy-quiet exhaust note, cast wheels and triple disk brakes. Once word got out that they could ride on it without feeling like death was around the corner (I rode very sanely, and had Bell full-face helmets for myself as well as my passenger), I literally had women lined up to take rides on it. In fact that was how I managed to get my wife on a first date.

When the weather turned cold I put the KZ in storage and brought my old beater Ford. My girlfriends called that the "hotel lobby on wheels". They weren't lining up to ride in it unless we had somewhere we needed to be. :laugh:

tailfins
07-31-2013, 07:57 AM
Don't forget to use a site like TrueCar. Also, Toyota sometimes subsidizes ALL THREE sides of a lease.

1) A low base from TrueCar
2) A near-zero money factor (0.0004 or less)
3) Contractually over-resale residuals in the 60-65% range for a 3 year/45,000 mile lease

Also, you can negotiate half price GAP insurance.

Personally, the Avalon is the only Toyota model I like, but the above happens for most models.

Jeff
07-31-2013, 07:57 AM
Face facts, Jeff. Women think a man is "hot" if he is successful. This is a proven fact. And people equate success with what you drive; another proven fact. Women also like sweet rides that are not over-the-top: stylish is probably the best term for what they like.

When I was in college I drove a Kawasaki KZ650C, deep blue paint, gold striping, sexy-quiet exhaust note, cast wheels and triple disk brakes. Once word got out that they could ride on it without feeling like death was around the corner (I rode very sanely, and had Bell full-face helmets for myself as well as my passenger), I literally had women lined up to take rides on it. In fact that was how I managed to get my wife on a first date.

When the weather turned cold I put the KZ in storage and brought my old beater Ford. My girlfriends called that the "hotel lobby on wheels". They weren't lining up to ride in it unless we had somewhere we needed to be. :laugh:

I have to agree with your facts Glock but I don't care for them :laugh: ( as if anyone cares what I think ) but yes back in HS or right after I do remember and your exactly right , but back then a chromed out Harley was as good as any nice car

As for that KZ they where great bikes I always rode a Harley but had a KZ 900 with the old Kirker header on it, besides the sound of straight pipes on a Harley nothing sounded as good as the old KZ 900 with that Kirker

glockmail
07-31-2013, 07:58 AM
The 94 Seville didn't have any color available called 'pearl'.

http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/colorcodedisplay.cgi?manuf=GM&year=1994&con=ym&model=Cadillac&rows=50

GM DID do a color called White Diamond. Perhaps you were... confused.

"Pearl" or diamond dust is an additive to the clear coat on top of the base coat.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110123052115AAi4Fr5

Marcus Aurelius
07-31-2013, 08:06 AM
http://www.debatepolicy.com/images/debate_policy/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Marcus Aurelius http://www.debatepolicy.com/images/debate_policy/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?p=655185#post655185)
The 94 Seville didn't have any color available called 'pearl'.

http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/colorcod...dillac&rows=50 (http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/colorcodedisplay.cgi?manuf=GM&year=1994&con=ym&model=Cadillac&rows=50)

Attachment 5340 (http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5340)

GM DID do a color called White Diamond. Perhaps you were... confused.

"Pearl" or diamond dust is an additive to the clear coat on top of the base coat.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110123052115AAi4Fr5

That is an after market process discussed in your link, used to simulate the actual GM 'White Diamond' color, glock. GM itself didn't have any color with 'pearl' in the name in '94.

In other model years, they had a 'Crimson Pearl', which was actually kind of cool looking.

glockmail
07-31-2013, 08:06 AM
I have to agree with your facts Glock but I don't care for them :laugh: ( as if anyone cares what I think ) but yes back in HS or right after I do remember and your exactly right , but back then a chromed out Harley was as good as any nice car

As for that KZ they where great bikes I always rode a Harley but had a KZ 900 with the old Kirker header on it, besides the sound of straight pipes on a Harley nothing sounded as good as the old KZ 900 with that Kirker

Mine was bone-stock, especially the exhaust. The up-swept pipes, symmetrical side-to-side, were quiet and lovely. I kept it tuned perfectly, installing an electronic ignition module, and had a stash of valve shims for frequent adjustments to keep the valve train turbine-smooth.

Here's what mine looked like, except I had a seat-back for the passenger, to lock her in tight and safe. ;)

glockmail
07-31-2013, 08:12 AM
That is an after market process discussed in your link, used to simulate the actual GM 'White Diamond' color, glock. GM itself didn't have any color with 'pearl' in the name in '94.

In other model years, they had a 'Crimson Pearl', which was actually kind of cool looking.

GM probably used diamond dust instead of pearl, hence the name. "Pearl" is a much more common name for what is likely a nearly identical effect. In fact this is the first time I've ever heard of using diamond dust, and I'm currently having my resto-mod done in Wimbledon White with a clear coat, "pearl" added to the clear.

Jeff
07-31-2013, 08:26 AM
Mine was bone-stock, especially the exhaust. The up-swept pipes, symmetrical side-to-side, were quiet and lovely. I kept it tuned perfectly, installing an electronic ignition module, and had a stash of valve shims for frequent adjustments to keep the valve train turbine-smooth.

Here's what mine looked like, except I had a seat-back for the passenger, to lock her in tight and safe. ;)

The bike I have now has those dam shims also , at 26,000 the book suggest checking the valve clearance and to buy the kit is pretty expensive and then ya have all the work of ripping it down to get to everything so I checked with a shop I really like and they told me they dont even do it because for them to buy the kit for all the different bikes they wouldn't make any money doing so but told me it was probably going to cost around $1400 to have the job done, hell I was ready to sell the bike then and go back to my Harleys that where easy to work on but then I spoke to the shop where I bought the bike and they told me it would cost about $140.00 they said the bike I have is a low revving motor so if any they would only have one or to to shim so it is less than half a day job

Now a days kawasaki ya dont ever have to check the clearance at least the last one i owned a 1600 Mean streak , they are non adjustable and never need to be adjusted , man why cant all bikes do it if one can

glockmail
07-31-2013, 08:37 AM
The bike I have now has those dam shims also , at 26,000 the book suggest checking the valve clearance and to buy the kit is pretty expensive and then ya have all the work of ripping it down to get to everything so I checked with a shop I really like and they told me they dont even do it because for them to buy the kit for all the different bikes they wouldn't make any money doing so but told me it was probably going to cost around $1400 to have the job done, hell I was ready to sell the bike then and go back to my Harleys that where easy to work on but then I spoke to the shop where I bought the bike and they told me it would cost about $140.00 they said the bike I have is a low revving motor so if any they would only have one or to to shim so it is less than half a day job

Now a days kawasaki ya dont ever have to check the clearance at least the last one i owned a 1600 Mean streak , they are non adjustable and never need to be adjusted , man why cant all bikes do it if one can

Mine was a DOHC, solid lifters and it typically took me 2 hours. Remove the tank, move some electrical out of the way, remove the valve cover, and use a feeler gauge to check all cam to shim clearances in sequence from #1 TDC then 1/2 crank turn in firing order. Knowing what my shim size was from the last time (written down in my tune-up book) I would then buy the correct shim size if I didn't already have them. To replace the shims you had to remove the timing chain tensioner, then the cams. The old shims get tossed in a box, and chances are would be re-used for the next time. After doing this every other oil change the subsequent movement became less and less, usually within the tolerances dictated by the available shim thicknesses.

One time I had some warranty work done by my dealer and he scratched the tank, and would not man-up to it. That was the last time anyone but me worked on that bike.

Little-Acorn
08-02-2013, 11:41 AM

Blackberries are more red where I come from.

http://static.cargurus.com/images/site/2011/01/31/21/30/1995_mercedes-benz_e-class_2_dr_e320_convertible-pic-183683160659346898.jpeg

Kathianne
08-02-2013, 11:52 AM

LOL! I pretty much said the same, "Ladies do look at the car, not just 'gold diggers' either." I looked at that car and it reminded me of the 70's, Gremlin. If going for less expensive car, style matters. Too practical says a lot. Might be 'penny pinching,' might be, "I don't care about appearances, at all."

At the same time for many of us, driving the most expensive cars just seems to scream for attention. Too me, car choice is a combination of practical for one's economic choices, form and function, style. As SL says, safety too, though with modern designs 'big' isn't necessarily superior to well designed smaller cars.

Robert A Whit
08-02-2013, 12:31 PM
I love your car Sassy

My ride Pearl color

I don't get the argument over the color since I know for a fact it is pearl white.

Robert A Whit
08-02-2013, 12:35 PM
LOL! I pretty much said the same, "Ladies do look at the car, not just 'gold diggers' either." I looked at that car and it reminded me of the 70's, Gremlin. If going for less expensive car, style matters. Too practical says a lot. Might be 'penny pinching,' might be, "I don't care about appearances, at all."

At the same time for many of us, driving the most expensive cars just seems to scream for attention. Too me, car choice is a combination of practical for one's economic choices, form and function, style. As SL says, safety too, though with modern designs 'big' isn't necessarily superior to well designed smaller cars.

I purchased my car because for many years I drove new but modest priced cars. I figured at least one time I would drive a very good car and it has met my expectations fully.

Abbey Marie
08-02-2013, 01:04 PM

http://image.motortrend.com/f/roadtests/hatchbacks/1206_2013_chevrolet_spark_first_drive/37726841+w623+h388+cr1+ar0/2013-Chevrolet-Spark-front-rear-three-quarters.jpg

Congrats on the soon-to-be new car, Red. Always an exciting time!

Marcus Aurelius
08-02-2013, 01:07 PM

If it was just me, and I didn't have my son or scout outings to consider, I would not be against getting one of these.

Abbey Marie
08-02-2013, 01:09 PM
If it was just me, and I didn't have my son or scout outings to consider, I would not be against getting one of these.

Yeah, Red may soon be giving the rest of us an "I told you so". If I was dating, I would want a guy with money left over to spend on other stuff; not just filling the car's tank.

Marcus Aurelius
08-02-2013, 01:10 PM
Yeah, Red may soon be giving the rest of us an "I told you so". If I was dating, I would want a guy with money left over to spend on other stuff; not just filling the car's tank.

LOL. I tried to make that point to my oldest son. He just got his first real full time career job after graduating in June, and he's already talking about better cars, an apartment, etc. I reminded him he has a girlfriend, and he was like 'oh... yeah.'

Robert A Whit
08-02-2013, 02:02 PM
I have not seen the MPG yet but with 83 hp, the city mileage has to be good.

As low price as these are, a good second car. I see why RSR wants one.

Driving ImpressionsOn the road, the Spark drives like a glorified motorcycle: It's quick and nimble, but also loud and buzzy. The 1.2-liter engine adequately moves the sub-2,300-pound car through and around...
traffic and although 83 horsepower doesn't seem like a lot, it's enough to adequately power the car up steep hills. As far as handling, the micro-car is tossable, but body roll is present thanks to the headroom-creating high roofline. We also detected a lot of wind and road noise in the cabin, but still found it easy to carry on conversations with other passengers. The Spark has a very short wheelbase, so don't expect comfortable highway cruising. If the bulk of your commute is done on busy inner-city streets where tight parking spaces and traffic merges are prevalent, however, then the Spark's diminutive size will outweigh its jumpy ride.

Favorite Features
CHEVROLET MyLink
We like the Chevy MyLink with its 7-inch touch screen, Sirius satellite radio, Bluetooth streaming audio and telephone with voice recognition. But what we like even more is that the system doesn't have a CD player but instead seamlessly connects to the owner's smartphone for personalized integration.

Robert A Whit
08-02-2013, 02:10 PM

RSR must have test drove one and compared need vs price to own as well as purchase.

I can't use that car to carry clients. It is a nice priced extra car and no doubt a lady could love the car as long as she stayed off the major highways for very long.

Sadly, if t boned, it looks to me like the passengers may be killed. But a Motorcycle is worse so one pays and takes their choice.

red states rule
08-03-2013, 05:46 AM
I will go looking later today, but I doubt if I will buy yet. OT at work is non unlimited as long as QA standards are met

So I think I will hold off for perhaps 2 pay cycles and build up some cash reserves. I am now debt free so now it is time to build up savings and my rainy day fund

SL, yes my other attributes are very intriguing, and if we lived closer, you would be very happy to find out all about them Obnoxious Condescending Asshole

Glock, if a women is only interested in what kind of car I drive - then she is not worth having. If that theory was valid, then Hollywood marriages would never end

tailfins
08-03-2013, 06:22 AM
I will go looking later today, but I doubt if I will buy yet. OT at work is non unlimited as long as QA standards are met

So I think I will hold off for perhaps 2 pay cycles and build up some cash reserves. I am now debt free so now it is time to build up savings and my rainy day fund

SL, yes my other attributes are very intriguing, and if we lived closer, you would be very happy to find out all about them Obnoxious Condescending Asshole

Glock, if a women is only interested in what kind of car I drive - then she is not worth having. If that theory was valid, then Hollywood marriages would never end

Irrespective of what you buy, I hope you don't get ripped off. The stereotype about car dealers is real.

red states rule
08-04-2013, 06:43 AM
The cars looked great!. Lots of room and the gas mileage is fantastic. I will hold off for about 4 weeks and build up my cash reserves.

With about 20 hours OT per check I will be in great shape and (unfortunately) ready to go into debt

tailfins
08-04-2013, 07:02 AM
The cars looked great!. Lots of room and the gas mileage is fantastic. I will hold off for about 4 weeks and build up my cash reserves.

With about 20 hours OT per check I will be in great shape and (unfortunately) ready to go into debt

By looking at the photo, am I the only one that finds it strange that someone with a nick "Red States Rule" is buying a car from Government Motors (GM)?

Jeff
08-04-2013, 07:06 AM

Brother my Dad told me years ago ya just never seem to get out of debt as long as you can make the payments enjoy the smell and ride of a new car ,you only live one time and to date I have never seen a U haul following a Hearse so enjoy and good Luck with it !!

tailfins
08-04-2013, 07:07 AM
Blackberries are more red where I come from.

Since you're in San Diego, that might be from the radioactive waste dumped in TJ.

Robert A Whit
08-04-2013, 01:11 PM
Irrespective of what you buy, I hope you don't get ripped off. The stereotype about car dealers is real.

Cripes, there are so many sites on the net as to auto prices, we can find out the factory cost to dealer easily. Even the public library reference desk has the figures.

When I bought my last new car, the dealer accidentally left the actual price they paid paperwork in the trunk. I did fine since I expect the dealer has to make his profit. My understanding of dealer price was pretty much on the mark.

Noir
08-04-2013, 02:03 PM
If i were going for a new car a spark would be top of my list, great little cars. However... Back the last time i was on the The market for a car I went through the finances, and the new cars just don't seem to add up, For the financial investment that have to be made and the monthly payments etc you have to make you just never see the money again. So I just decided to go secondhand, and if the wee car were to burst into flames tomorrow, I'd of made my money on it.

tailfins
08-04-2013, 03:23 PM
If i were going for a new car a spark would be top of my list, great little cars. However... Back the last time i was on the The market for a car I went through the finances, and the new cars just don't seem to add up, For the financial investment that have to be made and the monthly payments etc you have to make you just never see the money again. So I just decided to go secondhand, and if the wee car were to burst into flames tomorrow, I'd of made my money on it.

It's hard to beat a Toyota promotional lease: You lease a $25,000 car with a contractual $15,500 residual after three years. One car I turned in only had an $11,000 resale value which amounts to a $4,500 end of lease subsidy. That means you finance $9,500 over three years. A 0.0004 money factor (2400 * 0.0004 = 0.96% APR equivalent) means a monthly payment of about $275 per month for 15K miles per year to drive a brand new car. Most Toyota models are well under $25,000.

glockmail
08-05-2013, 09:27 PM

I never said "only". A car reflects your personality, and women pick up on that. Here's some examples:

Red ... all I can say is that it's a good thing you and I aren't dating!!! I would never get in one of those little cars ... wouldn't feel safe in traffic. I love muscle cars and/or pickup trucks. ...

So don't be a penny pinching bore. Test drive the V6 Challenger. Life is to enjoy. Trust the old man here. :slap:

Abbey Marie
08-05-2013, 11:18 PM
But sometimes when we see a guy driving a really flashy sports car, we women wonder what he is compensating for. ;)

Kathianne
08-05-2013, 11:31 PM
But sometimes when we see a guy driving a really flashy sports car, we women wonder what he is compensating for. ;)
Most definitely true!

I didn't mean to dis RSR's choice in car. We'd already spoken about this offline. I did tell him it reminded me of the old Gremlin, not a car that FOR ME was visually appealing back then. However, the car has all that RSR is looking for: great MPG, great safety rating, low estimates on repairs, and the price is right.

My point to him earlier and in my post was that for a single guy, keep in mind that one of the first things a woman sees, beyond the clothes you are wearing on a first date is 'the car.' Sassy's choices were a bit high end, taking in both safety and types.

Myself, I like someone who's 'careful with their money,' also that cares about styling and a bit of personality.

We're two women though out of how many? RSR's car may speak to the heart of the type of woman he hasn't met yet. ;)

Abbey Marie
08-05-2013, 11:38 PM
Most definitely true!

I didn't mean to dis RSR's choice in car. We'd already spoken about this offline. I did tell him it reminded me of the old Gremlin, not a car that FOR ME was visually appealing back then. However, the car has all that RSR is looking for: great MPG, great safety rating, low estimates on repairs, and the price is right.

My point to him earlier and in my post was that for a single guy, keep in mind that one of the first things a woman sees, beyond the clothes you are wearing on a first date is 'the car.' Sassy's choices were a bit high end, taking in both safety and types.

Myself, I like someone who's 'careful with their money,' also that cares about styling and a bit of personality.

We're two women though out of how many? RSR's car may speak to the heart of the type of woman he hasn't met yet. ;)

Well said, Kath.

red states rule
08-06-2013, 02:47 AM
Most definitely true!

'careful with their money'? Frugal? Conservative?

When you get to cheap and tight slow down. You are getting warm

Another 12 hour day yesterday, and the next pay check should be nice

Give me about 3 more weeks and I take the plunge off the cliff and go into debt

Jeff
08-06-2013, 08:07 AM
Red Invest wisely go to the local Harley dealer and get a Street Glide , decent gas mileage fun to ride and sounds great , not much on the heat department in the winter but hey ya have to sacrifice a little :laugh:

Actually what i would do is go buy me a P/u , my Dodge with a Hemi in it gets 22 mpg on the highway and will beat most of these new cars the kids get and immediately put that stupid looking exhaust on , and it can make ya money also , and when ya take the boat it pulls well , it can haul a bike in the back and a real country girl would be thrilled in a nice shinny lifted up Pick up, and if your like me and have youngins or plan on hauling more than two people get the king cab , my back seat has as much if not more room in the back as it does in the front

But again if ya are going to sign on the dotted line make it a Harley , in 20 years ya can sell it for way more than what ya paid for it :thumb:

glockmail
08-06-2013, 10:59 PM
I've owned exactly one pick-up truck. A '69 F100, it cost me $1000 to drag it off it's axles, then buy parts to replace all the brake hydraulics and mechanical, a Hurst floor shifter to replace the broken "three on the tree" shifter, replace both front king pins, all four wheel bearings, plugs, wires, points, battery, and four new used tires. Two years later I sold it for $100. What a bargain.

In 2002 I test drove a new F150 and wasn't imperessed with the busy highway ride. So I drove an Explorer, the first year with IRS and broke my budget to have it.

I have two neighbors with beater trucks that I can borrow when the need arises. I've done that twice in 17 years, both in the last three weeks. :laugh:

tailfins
08-07-2013, 09:52 AM
I've owned exactly one pick-up truck. A '69 F100, it cost me $1000 to drag it off it's axles, then buy parts to replace all the brake hydraulics and mechanical, a Hurst floor shifter to replace the broken "three on the tree" shifter, replace both front king pins, all four wheel bearings, plugs, wires, points, battery, and four new used tires. Two years later I sold it for $100. What a bargain.

In 2002 I test drove a new F150 and wasn't imperessed with the busy highway ride. So I drove an Explorer, the first year with IRS and broke my budget to have it.

I have two neighbors with beater trucks that I can borrow when the need arises. I've done that twice in 17 years, both in the last three weeks. :laugh:

If you struggle to drive a three on the tree, you have failed as a driver.
If you struggle to repair a three on the tree, you have failed as a mechanic.

I bought a '59 Biscayne four door as a parts car. It was so much fun to drive, I waited a long time before dismantling it. It was as much if not more fun than the recipient car. However, it makes no sense to spend $20,000 restoring a four door Biscayne with a manual transmission.

Robert A Whit
08-07-2013, 03:41 PM

Not being poor?

Abbey Marie
08-07-2013, 06:38 PM
Not being poor?

Yeah, that's it. :rolleyes:

Little-Acorn
08-07-2013, 06:58 PM
If I were in your shoes, RSR, I wouldn't touch a GM with a ten-foot slap hammer. Their reliability record for anything less than V8 engines and three-speed automatic transmissions, is poor. And that was BEFORE they sold their soul to the U.S. Gummint in exchange for keeping the union contracts that bankrupted them in the first place. I am at a loss to understand your support of them.

I would look seriously at the Toyota Yaris and Corolla. Same size, same gas mileage (Yaris is about 2MPG better than Corolla), rock solid reliability, better resale value if you ever want to sell it.

I have 136K on my Sienna, bought new in 2004, runs like it's new. It was built in Princeton, Indiana. And no rattles and clanks - something that cannot be said for any 9-year-old GM. Wife has 98K on her Camry, bought new in 2005, ditto.

I also like Mazdas a lot, tho I haven't driven one in many years now.

Last "American" car I owned was a Ford Aerostar. Ran great for 6 years and 100,000 miles until it met a Jeep Cherokee under adverse circumstances.

tailfins
08-07-2013, 07:24 PM
If I were in your shoes, RSR, I wouldn't touch a GM with a ten-foot slap hammer. Their reliability record for anything less than V8 engines and three-speed automatic transmissions, is poor. And that was BEFORE they sold their soul to the U.S. Gummint in exchange for keeping the union contracts that bankrupted them in the first place. I am at a loss to understand your support of them.

I would look seriously at the Toyota Yaris and Corolla. Same size, same gas mileage (Yaris is about 2MPG better than Corolla), rock solid reliability, better resale value if you ever want to sell it.

I have 136K on my Sienna, bought new in 2004, runs like it's new. It was built in Princeton, Indiana. And no rattles and clanks - something that cannot be said for any 9-year-old GM. Wife has 98K on her Camry, bought new in 2005, ditto.

I also like Mazdas a lot, tho I haven't driven one in many years now.

Last "American" car I owned was a Ford Aerostar. Ran great for 6 years and 100,000 miles until it met a Jeep Cherokee under adverse circumstances.

The 235 straight six is nearly indestructible. If you look at the body metal going from 1958 to 1959 to 1960 it's amazing how much thinner and rust -prone it became. '58s are really solid, '59s are borderline and a '60 is a thin metal, rust-prone death trap.

red states rule
08-08-2013, 03:02 AM
I am also looking at the Chevy Sonic

http://www.chevrolet.com/content/dam/Chevrolet/northamerica/usa/nscwebsite/en/Home/Vehicles/Cars/2013%20Sonic%20Sedan/Model%20Overview/Colorizer/Silver_Ice_Metallic/01_perspective_img_1.jpg

glockmail
08-09-2013, 08:51 AM
If you struggle to repair a three on the tree, you have failed as a mechanic.

Then call me a failure. Or better yet, a modifier. For the $100 truck it made no sense to spend all that money on original parts, so I cut a hole in the floor and installed a $50 Hurst shifter. :laugh:

jimnyc
08-09-2013, 09:07 AM
Glock, who's that in your avatar, I think I like her for some reason!

tailfins
08-09-2013, 09:09 AM
Then call me a failure. Or better yet, a modifier. For the $100 truck it made no sense to spend all that money on original parts, so I cut a hole in the floor and installed a $50 Hurst shifter. :laugh:

That's an interesting perspective. Today, that same truck could be in someone's garage, with them cussing at the hole in the floor asking "What was that idiot thinking?" as they are about to spend twenty grand restoring it. Anyone who thinks restoring a vehicle costs less than twenty grand is kidding themselves.

Little-Acorn
08-09-2013, 09:39 AM
That's an interesting perspective. Today, that same truck could be in someone's garage, with them cussing at the hole in the floor asking "What was that idiot thinking?" as they are about to spend twenty grand restoring it.

Some of us buy cars for our own purposes, not for the next owner's.

glockmail
08-09-2013, 06:34 PM
Glock, who's that in your avatar, I think I like her for some reason!

Kate Hudson in her SI shoot. :laugh:

It's actually one of those moving thingies, and she leans her face back and tussles her hair, but I can't make it work.

jimnyc
08-09-2013, 06:37 PM
Kate Hudson in her SI shoot. :laugh:

It's actually one of those moving thingies, and she leans her face back and tussles her hair, but I can't make it work.

Wait, Kate Hudson? I thought she had little boobies?

jimnyc
08-09-2013, 06:39 PM
Tried a search on Kate and Sports Illustrated - same bathing suit - I think it's Kate Upton! (like both Kates anyway)

http://cdn.rsvlts.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Kate-Upton-Sports-Illustrated-2011-Body-Paint-01.jpg

glockmail
08-09-2013, 07:03 PM
That's an interesting perspective. Today, that same truck could be in someone's garage, with them cussing at the hole in the floor asking "What was that idiot thinking?" as they are about to spend twenty grand restoring it. Anyone who thinks restoring a vehicle costs less than twenty grand is kidding themselves.

Not every vehicle is on the path to restoration. In fact very few will ever be. That particular truck was owned by a carpenter that drank himself into early retirement, and I dug it out of his back yard to use as a winter rat in an attempt to save my beloved 85 TBird from a rusty death. It had moss growing out of rust holes in the fenders, and no steel left on the floor of the bed at all, so I made a floor of treated 2x6 lumber. The engine had already been replaced. I drove it two winters and used it to haul crap during the summer.

And not every restoration is meant to record history. My current project car, a 64 TBird, is upgraded with lots of parts that weren't available from the factory. I've built the engine to run 250k miles before its next overhaul. We've upgraded the oiling system to increase pressure to the bearings. It now has a hydraulic roller cam, roller timing set, and roller rockers. I blocked the exhaust crossover in the intake manifold to keep it cooler and stop frying oil on top of the block. I'm trying to squeeze in shorty headers and the exhaust will be stainless steel Magnaflo. I replaced the brake hydraulics with a dual master and used DOT5 fluid to keep the system from absorbing water and rusting away like it did before. The suspension has been upgraded with a much larger front sway bar and a rear one. The upholstery is now top grain leather. I've added air conditioning with a modern compressor and dehumidifying defrosters. The AM radio and the single dash speaker are gone and in place is a 700W AM FM MP3 system with 8 hidden speakers and a trunk-mount subwoofer. I'm adding an engine bay mounted electrical panel (from a 2003 Focus) to power the new sound system, emergency flashers, AC clutch, back-up alarm and ambient lights. I turned the odometer to zero because it will be, for all intents, a brand new car. In fact quite a bit better than new.

glockmail
08-09-2013, 07:09 PM
Tried a search on Kate and Sports Illustrated - same bathing suit - I think it's Kate Upton! (like both Kates anyway)

Yeah that's her. And that "bathing suit" is water based paint.

I know a Kate that age, and she's actually prettier, and since she's a college athlete has a much tighter, muscular body. She's got a lot more in the boob department too, in fact she's got a bit too much and it's held her back a bit in athletics.