(http://fxn.ws/185XZVT)

tailfins
08-06-2013, 09:57 AM
Taste test for test tube burger

(http://fxn.ws/185XZVT)

Only if Gordon Ramsay would....

Thunderknuckles
08-06-2013, 12:04 PM
I'm sure the self righteous hippies in San Francisco are drooling over this stuff.
I'm more of a Soylent Green kinda guy, especially if that Soylent is made from self righteous hippies in San Francisco :p

KitchenKitten99
08-06-2013, 12:11 PM
Given my appreciation for molecular gastronomy, I would give it a shot. Though if they could come up with a nice filet mig, that would be more of my interest.

Robert A Whit
08-06-2013, 12:32 PM
Funny how this comes up since I saw this mentioned on last nights news. They say it is not very tasty due to no fat. They also claim they can add fat to it for taste too. Would I try it? Sure, why not?

jafar00
08-06-2013, 01:58 PM
While it's pretty interesting it seems like a nutritional disaster. No fat meat would kill a lot of people. We need fat to survive. Like most highly processed foods these days, low fat, high carb foods are responsible for the epidemic of Diabetes and heart disease that we are facing today.

Our grandparents cooked in lard, drowned veges in butter, and low fat for them was trimming a bit off the steak on their plate. It never did them any harm.

PostmodernProphet
08-06-2013, 02:04 PM
I still haven't worked up enough courage to try a tofu burger....

tailfins
08-06-2013, 02:32 PM
While it's pretty interesting it seems like a nutritional disaster. No fat meat would kill a lot of people. We need fat to survive. Like most highly processed foods these days, low fat, high carb foods are responsible for the epidemic of Diabetes and heart disease that we are facing today.

Our grandparents cooked in lard, drowned veges in butter, and low fat for them was trimming a bit off the steak on their plate. It never did them any harm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJWEvP9gtww

Abbey Marie
08-06-2013, 02:41 PM

Actually, our life expectancy grows longer.

Larrymc
08-06-2013, 03:28 PM
Taste test for test tube burger

(http://fxn.ws/185XZVT)I wouldn't touch it until the guinea pigs eat on it for several years. :laugh:

KitchenKitten99
08-06-2013, 10:50 PM

The ones that didn't buy into the highly-processed convenience foods anyway.

One of the things I commend the Food Network for is generating more interest in actually creating good meals at home using fresh ingredients. Back in the day, it was out of necessity, now it is almost a luxury when you add up the costs of ingredients for a made-from-scratch meal vs. convenience-prepared plus protein like Hamburger Helper or similar.

Perianne
08-07-2013, 12:24 AM
I'm more of a Soylent Green kinda guy, especially if that Soylent is made from self righteous hippies in San Francisco :p

Gag. It would taste like liberals... or farts.

Kathianne
08-07-2013, 12:51 AM

One of the things I commend the Food Network for is generating more interest in actually creating good meals at home using fresh ingredients. Back in the day, it was out of necessity, now it is almost a luxury when you add up the costs of ingredients for a made-from-scratch meal vs. convenience-prepared plus protein like Hamburger Helper or similar.

KK, there are healthy alternatives to prepared kits like Hamburger Helper, near as quick (http://www.familyfreshmeals.com/2012/12/homemade-healthy-hamburger-helper-recipe.html). Could really cut sodium and not effect the taste.

Jafar, our grandparents worked outside all day, at least most of them. They were not sitting behind a computer for work and recreation, men, women, and children performed much physical labor. They ate massive amounts of calories and were lucky to maintain their weight from 20's to 40's, when their likely deaths would happen.

jafar00
08-07-2013, 03:49 AM
Actually, our life expectancy grows longer.

Not due to diet. That's due to medical advances.

There is a lot to be said for making your own meals. The cost of ingredients isn't a problem if you do what I do. I go out of my way a bit to shop at grower's markets which are much cheaper than supermarkets. I only shop at the supermarket for stuff I run out of mid week and for things like butter, cream and cheese.

KK, there are healthy alternatives to prepared kits like Hamburger Helper, near as quick (http://www.familyfreshmeals.com/2012/12/homemade-healthy-hamburger-helper-recipe.html). Could really cut sodium and not effect the taste.

Jafar, our grandparents worked outside all day, at least most of them. They were not sitting behind a computer for work and recreation, men, women, and children performed much physical labor. They ate massive amounts of calories and were lucky to maintain their weight from 20's to 40's, when their likely deaths would happen.

A lack of exercise is a concern for sure. All I can say is since changing to a high fat, low carb diet, I have lost 20kg (44lb) since the beginning of April, my blood pressure normalised, LDL cholesterol went down, HDL went up, I'm always full so I eat less but when I do, it is something I made from scratch. Things like, Smoked Salmon and Cream Cheese Omlette for breakfast, Chicken (skin on!) with a salad (greek or other salad with cheese in it) drenched in ranch or other creamy dressing for lunch, and dinner could be a 10oz steak with creamed pumpkin, peas and beans. All cooked in butter of course. I put heavy cream in my coffee or sometimes have it "bulletproof" style with a tablespoon of butter and Coconut oil blended in. 60-70% of my daily calories come from fat and only 5% from carbohydrates. My doctor used the word "remarkable" a lot at my last checkup. I've never felt better nor have I had more energy than I do now.

red states rule
08-07-2013, 03:51 AM
Perfect food for the pigs being held at GITMO

We can test the burgers of the terrorist bastards to make sure it is safe for the lab rats

PostmodernProphet
08-07-2013, 07:48 AM
since changing to a high fat, low carb diet

now do yourself a serious favor and get rid of the high fat too.....

60-70% of my daily calories come from fat

holy crap, you'll be dead in six months.....

jafar00
08-07-2013, 04:16 PM
now do yourself a serious favor and get rid of the high fat too.....

holy crap, you'll be dead in six months.....

Enjoy your carbs, and your diabetes and heart disease. I'll be alive and healthy long after you've gone. I'm losing weight, jumping out of my skin with energy and my blood tests have been improving.

The science behind the Ketogenic diet is sound and the results from people following it and the similarly low carb Paleo diet are astounding.

Abbey Marie
08-07-2013, 06:34 PM
Not due to diet. That's due to medical advances.

The fact that scientists have come up with stents and such to prolong life for those who eat poorly, doesn't negate that eating better is also increasing our life span. And those poor eaters without good medical access are still dying of heart disease, etc.

jafar00
08-08-2013, 01:47 AM
The fact that scientists have come up with stents and such to prolong life for those who eat poorly, doesn't negate that eating better is also increasing our life span. And those poor eaters without good medical access are still dying of heart disease, etc.

Have a look at the traditional diet of the Inuit.
Seal meat, Fish, Whale blubber, and whatever seasonal berries, root vegetables and grasses they can get. It is a high fat, low carb diet, and until recently when western food started to invade their culture, heart disease, cancer and diabetes were almost unknown.

I know I am keeping myself safe from heart disease as my cholesterol levels are healthy and my body is burning up the fat rather than depositing it on my hips or worse coating my veins. My risk of diabetes type 2 is effectively nil. I am doing the right thing. Too many carbs are making you fat and killing you.

red states rule
08-08-2013, 02:25 AM
Not bad burgers at Mc'Ds these days

http://imgsrv.102jamz.com/image/wjmh2/UserFiles/Image/QP_Header.jpg

jafar00
08-08-2013, 02:28 AM
Not bad burgers at Mc'Ds these days

http://imgsrv.102jamz.com/image/wjmh2/UserFiles/Image/QP_Header.jpg

Take away the bun, and the sugary ketchup and you have a point. You can ask for the burger as a "salad" apparently. However it doesn't change the fact that McD's burgers only have slightly more flavour than cardboard. I'd rather make my own tasty 20cm (7.9") burger any day.

red states rule
08-08-2013, 02:32 AM
Take away the bun, and the sugary ketchup and you have a point. You can ask for the burger as a "salad" apparently. However it doesn't change the fact that McD's burgers only have slightly more flavour than cardboard. I'd rather make my own tasty 20cm (7.9") burger any day.

To each his own. Thank God Muslims do not run things here so I have a choice regarding what I want to eat

You eat what you want bomb boy and I will enjoy what I want