PDA

View Full Version : Florianopolis, SC and Newark, NJ - World's Frendliest and Unfrientliest Cities

tailfins
08-06-2013, 04:35 PM
The SC stands for Santa Catarina, NOT South Carolina.

http://www.news.com.au/travel/holiday-ideas/the-world8217s-friendliest-8212-and-unfriendliest-8212-cities-named/story-e6frfqd9-1226691364948

hjmick
08-06-2013, 05:00 PM
We're pretty friendly here in S.C...

jimnyc
08-06-2013, 05:01 PM
Been to Newark more times than I had liked growing up. Had a few friends there too, in the Portuguese section. Other than those friends, not very friendly as stated! Not surprising that the stolen car capital of the nation is also unfriendly. I guess it makes sense that crime and unfriendliness go together.

Jeff
08-06-2013, 05:47 PM
The SC stands for Santa Catarina, NOT South Carolina.

http://www.news.com.au/travel/holiday-ideas/the-world8217s-friendliest-8212-and-unfriendliest-8212-cities-named/story-e6frfqd9-1226691364948

I got robbed in Newark over 30 years ago and still don't like the place

hjmick
08-06-2013, 06:19 PM
I got robbed in Newark over 30 years ago and still don't like the place

Well I got the shit kicked out of me in Wisconsin once...

tailfins
08-06-2013, 07:57 PM
We're pretty friendly here in S.C...

Yes, the Brazilians refer to you as the "other" SC.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
08-06-2013, 08:16 PM
I got robbed in Newark over 30 years ago and still don't like the place A funny story about how strange life is. Two of my best friends back in my wild young days were guys I met at a club known to be a dangerous place. Hell back then when I heard a place was dangerous I made it a point to go there to see! I went to this place another friend had told me even he was scared to visit. Long story short met two guys there later became good friends with them but they were really bad cats and did hurt people. After a few years we were all drinking one night and they told how that first time they met me they were going to rob me(strong arm robbery)! Were discussing it when another friend of theirs arrived. Upon hearing their plans he told them well get your guns boys because that guy will most like stomp both your asses! I know about him and used to hang in the town he is from. You will not rob him without guns because he'll beat hell out of you both. Upon hearing that confession by both my friends I remembered their friend from that night and also remember he himself a couple years later went to prison for gunning a man down over a large gambling debt. These were not gentle souls, they made their living by hook and crook. Always meant to look up the cat that may have saved my life that night but you know how it is when wild and young. Heard a few years after he did his prison time he was found in an alley in St Louis shot in the back 6 times, dead as a mackerel. Life is like that, some make it some don't.. Louis one of the two friends was himself found shot to death just about 8 or 9 years ago. As far as I know his murder has never been solved, he was into the drug scene and it was likely a drug deal gone bad.. I really liked him but life is often like that ... Fun being wild but the costs are often very ,very steep.. -Tyr

aboutime
08-06-2013, 08:24 PM
I was mugged in Philadelphia on a Friday nite in 1965, after riding a Trailways Bus from Norfolk. I had a three block walk between the Trailways terminal, and the Reading Station, and I was in uniform.
Two young guys grabbed my Ditty Bag with dirty clothes, and a pair of sneakers, and ran down the street.
Hope they washed the skivvies, and smelled the sneakers. Wonder if they ate my apple?

PostmodernProphet
08-06-2013, 11:10 PM
lets face it.....if you live in a place called Florianapolis you have to treat everyone nice, just to keep them from making fun of you......

glockmail
08-06-2013, 11:15 PM
Been to Newark more times than I had liked growing up. Had a few friends there too, in the Portuguese section. Other than those friends, not very friendly as stated! Not surprising that the stolen car capital of the nation is also unfriendly. I guess it makes sense that crime and unfriendliness go together.

My father's family is from Newark. I have fond memories of the place. I have a picture of my great grandfather, about 6'-4, and his 5' wife at their new house in some new development, circa 1920 or so. She was standing on top of a raised sewer manhole, so their faces are at the same height.

I visited relatives in 1967 there. It was the first time that I saw a dead bolt lock on a door with a key on the inside.

About 1995 or so we we missed our connection at Newark airport and had to spend the night at a nearby hotel with my wife and our two yougin's. I was frazzled, but sat down to dinner and asked the waitress for a steak and a scotch. She was an older gal and a total sweetheart. I had a good drink and a great meal.

I've never had a bad meal in New Jersey. They know how to cook there.