PDA

View Full Version : A woman's unethical act got her arrested..

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
08-06-2013, 08:34 PM
http://gma.yahoo.com/cop-upset-speeding-womans-dying-dad-lie-arrests-182708115--abc-news-topstories.html Cop 'Upset' By Speeding Woman's Dying Dad Lie, Arrests Her..------------------------------------------------------------

<iframe width="630" height="354" id="yui_3_9_1_1_1375838547738_388" src="http://gma.yahoo.com/video/speeding-drivers-dying-father-story-180201068.html?format=embed&player_autoplay=false" frameborder="0"></iframe>

<!-- google_ad_section_start --> A New Hampshire cop was so miffed when he discovered an "emotional" woman had lied to him about speeding in her car to get to her dying father that he later went to the woman's house and arrested her for driving with a suspended registration.
"I'm pretty used to people trying to bend the truth to get out of speeding citations, but this woman preyed on my emotions as a human being," Christopher J. Cummings, the state trooper who made the arrest, told ABC News today.
"She told me her father had stage four cancer, that he was breathing only six breaths a minute, and that she was trying to make it to the hospital before he passed," Cummings said.
Cummings pulled over Carley Williams, 28, of Nashua, N.H., on Friday night for speeding, he said.
"I was parked along the turnpike with my radar unit when I saw the vehicle travelling 82 mph in a 65 mph zone," Cummings said. "I took her driver's license and asked a question that I ask everyone I pull over. I asked if there was an emergency."
That is when Williams told her elaborate lie, the trooper said.
"There was a good act that went along with it," Cummings said. "She seemed pretty emotional. It made me believe that this person was legitimately telling me the truth."
After taking down Williams' information, Cummings returned her license and allowed her to go on, but not before he asked for the name of her father and the hospital.
"She was cooperative. I told her to please slow down and allowed her to continue," Cummings said.
Still, Cummings felt the need to verify Williams' story.
"I called the hospital where Williams told me her father was a patient and asked if he was there. They told me he wasn't."
Surprised, Cummings decided to conduct an online search of Williams' name along with her father's name.
"That is when I found her father's obituary on a funeral home website. He died in 2008," he said.
"I was upset," Cummings said, "For someone to lie about their deceased father just to get out of a speeding ticket was pretty upsetting to me as a person."
After further investigation, Cummings discovered that Williams had allegedly been driving with a suspended car registration. He could not tell ABC News why her registration was suspended.
"Driving with a suspended registration is a misdemeanor in New Hampshire," Cummings said. "For that reason she had to be arrested."
"This wasn't personal, it was a matter of law. The violation happened in my presence, so I made the arrest," he said.----------------------------------------------------- A lie is a lie but this is pretty damn low IMHO. Even worse since her dad had died back in 2008! I guess it's smart to never underestimate the level some people will sink to in order to save paying the money on a speeding ticket.. -Tyr

Perianne
08-07-2013, 12:44 AM
She was probably a shameless liberal.

Kathianne
08-07-2013, 12:56 AM
That was just sick of her. I can't imagine using my parents deaths in such a way.

Nukeman
08-07-2013, 12:51 PM
http://gma.yahoo.com/cop-upset-speeding-womans-dying-dad-lie-arrests-182708115--abc-news-topstories.html Cop 'Upset' By Speeding Woman's Dying Dad Lie, Arrests Her..------------------------------------------------------------

<iframe width="630" height="354" id="yui_3_9_1_1_1375838547738_388" src="http://gma.yahoo.com/video/speeding-drivers-dying-father-story-180201068.html?format=embed&player_autoplay=false" frameborder="0"></iframe>

<!-- google_ad_section_start --> A New Hampshire cop was so miffed when he discovered an "emotional" woman had lied to him about speeding in her car to get to her dying father that he later went to the woman's house and arrested her for driving with a suspended registration.
"I'm pretty used to people trying to bend the truth to get out of speeding citations, but this woman preyed on my emotions as a human being," Christopher J. Cummings, the state trooper who made the arrest, told ABC News today.
"She told me her father had stage four cancer, that he was breathing only six breaths a minute, and that she was trying to make it to the hospital before he passed," Cummings said.
Cummings pulled over Carley Williams, 28, of Nashua, N.H., on Friday night for speeding, he said.
"I was parked along the turnpike with my radar unit when I saw the vehicle travelling 82 mph in a 65 mph zone," Cummings said. "I took her driver's license and asked a question that I ask everyone I pull over. I asked if there was an emergency."
That is when Williams told her elaborate lie, the trooper said.
"There was a good act that went along with it," Cummings said. "She seemed pretty emotional. It made me believe that this person was legitimately telling me the truth."
After taking down Williams' information, Cummings returned her license and allowed her to go on, but not before he asked for the name of her father and the hospital.
"She was cooperative. I told her to please slow down and allowed her to continue," Cummings said.
Still, Cummings felt the need to verify Williams' story.
"I called the hospital where Williams told me her father was a patient and asked if he was there. They told me he wasn't."
Surprised, Cummings decided to conduct an online search of Williams' name along with her father's name.
"That is when I found her father's obituary on a funeral home website. He died in 2008," he said.
"I was upset," Cummings said, "For someone to lie about their deceased father just to get out of a speeding ticket was pretty upsetting to me as a person."
After further investigation, Cummings discovered that Williams had allegedly been driving with a suspended car registration. He could not tell ABC News why her registration was suspended.
"Driving with a suspended registration is a misdemeanor in New Hampshire," Cummings said. "For that reason she had to be arrested."
"This wasn't personal, it was a matter of law. The violation happened in my presence, so I made the arrest," he said.-------------------
The part I highlighted is the important part of this story. This "hospital" technically did NOT follow HIPPA that is they disclosed information as to whether or not a person was a patient at the facility. They are NOT allowed to do that. Do I think this woman was wrong? Hell ya she was.

logroller
08-07-2013, 01:08 PM
The part I highlighted is the important part of this story. This "hospital" technically did NOT follow HIPPA that is they disclosed information as to whether or not a person was a patient at the facility. They are NOT allowed to do that. Do I think this woman was wrong? Hell ya she was.
So its a hippa violation to say someone is not a patient? There's something illogical about protecting a non- existent patient's rights. :dunno:

jimnyc
08-07-2013, 01:10 PM
So its a hippa violation to say someone is not a patient? There's something illogical about protecting a non- existent patient's rights. :dunno:

I always thought it was releasing some sort of privileged medical information, not whether someone was hospitalized, but Nuke sure knows more than I do about such matters. I remember calling the hospital when my Mom was there and all they would tell me was that she was still there and her room number.

Nukeman
08-07-2013, 07:01 PM
So its a hippa violation to say someone is not a patient? There's something illogical about protecting a non- existent patient's rights. :dunno:Actually it is a violation to admit that someone is NOT there. Even though they are NOT a patient we have no permission to give out any info. They should have said "I'm sorry but I cant give out any information regarding that question". By saying that they weren't there is giving out information. without express permission from the patient we can not give info and if someone is not a patient at that time they have NOT given permission for us to give out any information. I know it sounds really stupid but that's the government for you..

aboutime
08-07-2013, 07:06 PM
She Lied to the police officer. Anyone care to check, and see what lying to a police officer means, and how it impedes the officer's investigation????

Kathianne
08-07-2013, 07:13 PM
Actually it is a violation to admit that someone is NOT there. Even though they are NOT a patient we have no permission to give out any info. They should have said "I'm sorry but I cant give out any information regarding that question". By saying that they weren't there is giving out information. without express permission from the patient we can not give info and if someone is not a patient at that time they have NOT given permission for us to give out any information. I know it sounds really stupid but that's the government for you..

I don't know about confirmation that a patient is in the hospital. 4th of July my friend's brother was in hospital, very sick, he subsequently died. She was just home from Hawaii, had a very bad cold, (yes my friend with the Great Dane), and her husband has pneumonia. They couldn't visit him and her parents were worn out.

I called to hospital for the room number and to make sure he wasn't in intensive care-that hospital still allows family only. Got the room number and went to the hospital. This was from the switchboard, same as if I entered the hospital, went to main desk and asked for a room number.

IF I'd asked for his nurse I'm certain they would have asked the relationship. If I'd asked for any information, I'm certain they would have referred me to the family, as it should be.

Nukeman
08-07-2013, 07:17 PM
I don't know about confirmation that a patient is in the hospital. 4th of July my friend's brother was in hospital, very sick, he subsequently died. She was just home from Hawaii, had a very bad cold, (yes my friend with the Great Dane), and her husband has pneumonia. They couldn't visit him and her parents were worn out.

I called to hospital for the room number and to make sure he wasn't in intensive care-that hospital still allows family only. Got the room number and went to the hospital. This was from the switchboard, same as if I entered the hospital, went to main desk and asked for a room number.

IF I'd asked for his nurse I'm certain they would have asked the relationship. If I'd asked for any information, I'm certain they would have referred me to the family, as it should be.That is because when you are admitted you are given a choice to be in the registry or not. If you are a "no info" patient that can not tell even family members who are not listed that they are there. the same would go for someone who is NOT a patient (no permission was signed)

Like I said it's stupid but hey that the fed for you..

Kathianne
08-07-2013, 07:21 PM
That is because when you are admitted you are given a choice to be in the registry or not. If you are a "no info" patient that can not tell even family members who are not listed that they are there. the same would go for someone who is NOT a patient (no permission was signed)

Maybe different between locales. I've been in two suburban hospitals and two city 'teaching hospitals,' all in IL. Never was that an option.

Perhaps if requested they would 'not list,' but doesn't seem likely that they'd deny patient presence to police.

Nukeman
08-07-2013, 07:27 PM
Maybe different between locales. I've been in two suburban hospitals and two city 'teaching hospitals,' all in IL. Never was that an option.

Perhaps if requested they would 'not list,' but doesn't seem likely that they'd deny patient presence to police.Its FEDERAL not local; if they aren't adhering than they aren't following properly, there are a lot of hospitals that don't follow the way they should. IF they ever get audited or reported for violationstoy the govt for not following policy there are massive fines and civil infractions for that up to jail time for not adhering to the rules.

Kathianne
08-07-2013, 07:43 PM
Its FEDERAL not local; if they aren't adhering than they aren't following properly, there are a lot of hospitals that don't follow the way they should. IF they ever get audited or reported for violationstoy the govt for not following policy there are massive fines and civil infractions for that up to jail time for not adhering to the rules.

I know for certain one of these hospitals was 'audited' by Feds for re-certification within the last 5-10 years, probably even more recently since their new location was just built and moved over 5 miles just within the last year. My SIL is a long time nurse there and I've several doctor friends there, I remember the old audit process causing upheaval, not worry. No changes in admittance forms and I know there wasn't anything about 'be listed or not.' Now perhaps they are wording that checkmark somehow that it's just normal to say, 'yes' to registry?' That I don't know.

I make a point of visiting any friends or family in hospital, provided they want visitors. However, unless I KNOW they are still there, (nearly always the case with family), I don't do the drive and walking through Chicago weather in large parking lots and huge hospitals without confirming with the hospital they are there. I do that by phone. Never would ask for any information beyond, 'Are they there?' Have never had a problem. That's literally 30-40 family and/or friends.

Nukeman
08-07-2013, 07:48 PM
I know for certain one of these hospitals was 'audited' by Feds for re-certification within the last 5-10 years, probably even more recently since their new location was just built and moved over 5 miles just within the last year. My SIL is a long time nurse there and I've several doctor friends there, I remember the old audit process causing upheaval, not worry. No changes in admittance forms and I know there wasn't anything about 'be listed or not.' Now perhaps they are wording that checkmark somehow that it's just normal to say, 'yes' to registry?' That I don't know.

I make a point of visiting any friends or family in hospital, provided they want visitors. However, unless I KNOW they are still there, (nearly always the case with family), I don't do the drive and walking through Chicago weather in large parking lots and huge hospitals without confirming with the hospital they are there. I do that by phone. Never would ask for any information beyond, 'Are they there?' Have never had a problem. That's literally 30-40 family and/or friends.The "audit" occurs every 2 years. It's a JACHO inspection to keep our federal insurance reimbursement coming in. If you are NOT JACHO accredited you can bill Medicare/Medicaid, you effectively lose 65-75% of your payer mix in some area's.

Kathianne
08-07-2013, 08:22 PM
The "audit" occurs every 2 years. It's a JACHO inspection to keep our federal insurance reimbursement coming in. If you are NOT JACHO accredited you can bill Medicare/Medicaid, you effectively lose 65-75% of your payer mix in some area's.

Well I'm certain they are all 'passing' since they are fully accredited. What % of your patients would you say are not on 'registry' as you call it?

Nukeman
08-08-2013, 11:48 AM
Well I'm certain they are all 'passing' since they are fully accredited. What % of your patients would you say are not on 'registry' as you call it?
Oh probably 25% Some people are just kinda off... Most Americans Hate HIPPA it causes undo stress and burden on folks trying to get info on sick relatives. Hell its so bad that unless you have power of attorney you cant even pick up results without them there EVEN IF THEY ARE SICK!!!!! Trust me when I say we (employee's) hate this. It was a good idea that was ruined by the government. In fact most hospitals already had these type of restrictions in place, but they did them with a level head not a "one size fits all"..

logroller
08-08-2013, 01:45 PM
That is because when you are admitted you are given a choice to be in the registry or not. If you are a "no info" patient that can not tell even family members who are not listed that they are there. the same would go for someone who is NOT a patient (no permission was signed)

I don't think so. From the American hospital association:

Condition and Location of Patients: What You May Release and to Whom

Inquiries that identify the patient by name
Information about the patient’s general condition and location of an inpatient, outpatient or emergency department patient may be released only if the inquiry specifically identifies the patient by name. No information may be given if a request does not include a specific patient's name or if the patient requests that the information not be released. This includes inquiries from the press.

Inquiries from clergy
The HIPAA privacy regulations expressly permit hospitals to release the patient's name, location in the hospital, general condition and religion to clergy members, unless the patient has asked that the information not be released. Clergy do not need to ask for the individual by name. For example, clergy could request information regarding patients of a particular religion. However, hospitals are not required to ask about patients' religious affiliations, and patients do not have to supply that information.

Release of patient’s general condition and location
As long as the patient has not requested that information be withheld, you may release the patient's one-word condition and location to individuals who inquire about the patient by name or to clergy, without obtaining prior patient authorization. http://www.aha.org/advocacy-issues/tools-resources/advisory/96-06/030201-media-adv.shtml
Maybe they've got it all wrong, I'm not too keen to dig through rules and regs( perhaps you might provide them), but it appears one mustn't authorize their name and condition to be released but, rather, they must expressly authorize that it not be released. So someone who isn't a patient has not expressed their right not to be identified.