PDA

View Full Version : Professor keeps job after shocking secret unearthed

Jeff
08-07-2013, 06:51 AM
OK after killing his family and getting away with it on insanity charges on insanity charges he changes his name and gets his Doctrine, then gets hired by a university , so much for background checks , but now they know the truth and still will employ him, something seems seriously wrong here

Administrators at a private university in Illinois (https://www.millikin.edu/about/bot/Pages/default.aspx) are standing by a psychology professor, despite his own admission that he shot and killed his father, mother and teenage sister in 1967.
Officials at Millikin University in Decatur, Ill., (http://www.millikin.edu/Pages/default.aspx) said they would allow the psychology professor, James St. James, 61, to continue teaching, according to a statement provided to Campus Reform (http://www.campusreform.org/blog/?ID=4949) on Tuesday.

http://www.wnd.com/2013/08/prof-kills-entire-family-keeps-teaching-job/

Kathianne
08-07-2013, 09:51 AM
My goddaughter attended Milliken and was a psych major. Like her former instructors and classmates was shocked at the story that came out last week. However, she had at least one class by that professor each of her 4 years and he wrote her letters to other universities recommending her for a TA position to help with post-grad work.

He worked his way to head of department, was well respected by both students and staff, so the question becomes does the university judge him on the past 20 years they've worked with him or what came before?

fj1200
08-07-2013, 10:11 AM
He worked his way to head of department, was well respected by both students and staff, so the question becomes does the university judge him on the past 20 years they've worked with him or what came before?

And do they have any recourse to dismiss him anyway.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
08-07-2013, 10:25 AM
And do they have any recourse to dismiss him anyway. If he lied about his past they have grounds to dismiss I would think. Of course if its a liberal place of worship then no...;) In that case he past misdeeds would be a career enhancement. --Tyr

Kathianne
08-07-2013, 10:35 AM
If he lied about his past they have grounds to dismiss I would think. Of course if its a liberal place of worship then no...;) In that case he past misdeeds would be a career enhancement. --Tyr

Milliken is a small, private, and quite conservative college.

Thunderknuckles
08-07-2013, 10:37 AM
I don't know Kat, something about a murderer who gets away with it based on insanity and then goes on to be a Psych professor just rubs me the wrong way.
Has anyone checked this guy's basement recently?

fj1200
08-07-2013, 10:43 AM
If he lied about his past they have grounds to dismiss I would think. Of course if its a liberal place of worship then no...;) In that case he past misdeeds would be a career enhancement. --Tyr

If... if... There are if's we don't know which are different than the if's we just make up. But the bottom line is we don't know most of the story but it sure makes some great headlines. :rolleyes:

Nukeman
08-07-2013, 12:46 PM
Did he pay his legal debt to society?? Yes!! Did he do something horrible?? Yes!! Should we judge him for his PAST actions?? NO!! He was judged and found insane at the time of actions and was rehabilitated, successfully I might add. All this stuff about his past is just that HIS PAST!!!! Now do we want to dig into EVERYONES past after 40 years??? Just my 2 cents worth!

logroller
08-07-2013, 12:51 PM
I don't know Kat, something about a murderer who gets away with it based on insanity and then goes on to be a Psych professor just rubs me the wrong way.
Has anyone checked this guy's basement recently?
Makes perfect sense. And no offense to all the psych majors out there, but I've always thought psych majors are crazy anyways. Someone who goes looney tunes, and through pscychological treatment gets better, is perhaps the perfect spokesman for psychology.

Thunderknuckles
08-07-2013, 12:53 PM
Did he pay his legal debt to society?? Yes!! Did he do something horrible?? Yes!! Should we judge him for his PAST actions?? NO!! He was judged and found insane at the time of actions and was rehabilitated, successfully I might add. All this stuff about his past is just that HIS PAST!!!! Now do we want to dig into EVERYONES past after 40 years??? Just my 2 cents worth!
I hear you Nuke. Your argument is sound assuming the guy was successfully rehabilitated.
Assuming he was, I still maintain my prejudice against a formerly insane murderer teaching my children anything. I'll accept my character flaw in this case.

fj1200
08-07-2013, 01:17 PM
I hear you Nuke. Your argument is sound assuming the guy was successfully rehabilitated.
Assuming he was, I still maintain my prejudice against a formerly insane murderer teaching my children anything. I'll accept my character flaw in this case.

Success is determined years down the road and well... so far so good.

Thunderknuckles
08-07-2013, 01:20 PM
Success is determined years down the road and well... so far so good.

Nothing could have succinctly described my fears any better than those last four words :laugh:

Jeff
08-07-2013, 02:24 PM

Nuke I agree with what you are saying 100% but unfortunately most employers dont, I know many that have a felony on there record and can't find work . in the same token I have a fried I grew up with that has a felony and has a great job but for the most part a felony hurts your chance so this is a big IF, but if he changed his name to hide his past that is wrong . And I seriously think the school might have had there doubts if they knew of his past , just my 2 cents worth

logroller
08-07-2013, 03:05 PM
Nuke I agree with what you are saying 100% but unfortunately most employers dont, I know many that have a felony on there record and can't find work . in the same token I have a fried I grew up with that has a felony and has a great job but for the most part a felony hurts your chance so this is a big IF, but if he changed his name to hide his past that is wrong . And I seriously think the school might have had there doubts if they knew of his past , just my 2 cents worth
He was acquitted, though; at fifteen years old. What if it was Zimmerman that changed his name in order to rebuild his life, including a career. Should his employer know all about his background, including being acquitted of a crime? (Imagine if he were hired to teach, say, race relations :laugh:) Of course, not guilty by self-defense and not guilty by reason insanity are different, but, its not as though a professorship is a public security job. If he was a cop of something, I'd say a more thorough background check would be warranted and those parts of his past illuminated....and likely would have been.

red states rule
08-07-2013, 03:16 PM
No surprise liberals defend murders. After all, libs so nothing wrong with mothers murdering their unborn babies

The Dem party is quickly becoming the party of death

aboutime
08-07-2013, 04:14 PM
That man may have been acquitted due to his defense of Insanity. Yet, there is still a Dead Body he caused. And it doesn't matter how long, or when it took place. Murder is murder. There is no Statute of Limitations on Murder, for anyone, for any reason.
I don't care what kind of life he has been living since the MAGIC CURE took place. The man is a Murderer, and I would personally question, and not want my children, or grand children to be in contact with him.

If he has a license to kill, and get away with it because someone declared him Insane. How many other future, or potential murderers are out there...waiting their turn with the Phony Cuckoo's nest approach????

red states rule
08-07-2013, 04:15 PM
That man may have been acquitted due to his defense of Insanity. Yet, there is still a Dead Body he caused. And it doesn't matter how long, or when it took place. Murder is murder. There is no Statute of Limitations on Murder, for anyone, for any reason.
I don't care what kind of life he has been living since the MAGIC CURE took place. The man is a Murderer, and I would personally question, and not want my children, or grand children to be in contact with him.

If he has a license to kill, and get away with it because someone declared him Insane. How many other future, or potential murderers are out there...waiting their turn with the Phony Cuckoo's nest approach????

Looks like he was found not guilty due to insanity - of the jury

aboutime
08-07-2013, 04:17 PM
Looks like he was found not guilty due to insanity - of the jury

:laugh: And we see signs of it everywhere we go, while looking for OBAMA bumper stickers, and at the polls.

Nukeman
08-07-2013, 07:09 PM
No surprise liberals defend murders. After all, libs so nothing wrong with mothers murdering their unborn babies

The Dem party is quickly becoming the party of deathWhere the F did that come from. If you're calling me a liberal your as blind as a bat.. If he paid his debt or was aquited that is the decision of the jury, we weren't there to hear the case, were you??????

If he has a license to kill, and get away with it because someone declared him Insane. How many other future, or potential murderers are out there...waiting their turn with the Phony Cuckoo's nest approach????Do you feel the SAME way for EVERY soldier who has had to fight in times of war? i mean after all the highlighted part there says it all doesn't it?? "Murder is murder for anyone for any reason"..

I don't feel that way but you are the one that just said this.... Care to elaborate??

aboutime
08-07-2013, 07:14 PM
Where the F did that come from. If you're calling me a liberal your as blind as a bat.. If he paid his debt or was aquited that is the decision of the jury, we weren't there to hear the case, were you??????

Do you feel the SAME way for EVERY soldier who has had to fight in times of war? i mean after all the highlighted part there says it all doesn't it?? "Murder is murder for anyone for any reason"..

I don't feel that way but you are the one that just said this.... Care to elaborate??

Nukeman. Can't believe you insulted your own intelligence to ask such a question, and even suggest the two are in any way alike. Or, maybe you do.

Nukeman
08-07-2013, 07:21 PM
Nukeman. Can't believe you insulted your own intelligence to ask such a question, and even suggest the two are in any way alike. Or, maybe you do.
Did you or did you NOT say the following???????????????????????????

Murder is murder. There is no Statute of Limitations on Murder, for anyone, for any reason.:poke:

I don't think they are the same but you are the one that stated that "for any reason" so why would you make a statement like that then say "ohh wait not in this instance"..

aboutime
08-07-2013, 07:24 PM
Did you or did you NOT say the following???????????????????????????

:poke:

I don't think they are the same but you are the one that stated that "for any reason" so why would you make a statement like that then say "ohh wait not in this instance"..

Excuuuuuuuuuuse me? I thought you had more knowledge going for you, in being able to cut the crap, and stop slicing, and dicing the use of words to make you feel better.

Yes. I said that. And smarter people than you probably understood what I meant.

Nukeman
08-07-2013, 07:30 PM
Excuuuuuuuuuuse me? I thought you had more knowledge going for you, in being able to cut the crap, and stop slicing, and dicing the use of words to make you feel better.

Yes. I said that. And smarter people than you probably understood what I meant.See know why the need to call my intelligence into question when YOU stated.
Murder is murder. There is no Statute of Limitations on Murder, for anyone, for any reason.I am sure you are willing to make exceptions for what you feel are differing circumstances, why is that?????????????????????

aboutime
08-07-2013, 07:46 PM
See know why the need to call my intelligence into question when YOU stated. [COLOR=#333333] I am sure you are willing to make exceptions for what you feel are differing circumstances, why is that?????????????????????

Wartime, and the defense of our soldiers, sailors, marines, and airmen in a shooting war where it's KILL or be KILLED is totally different than this man who murdered his entire family.

If you still question the differences between wartime, and civilian murder for the hell of it. Of course, I would question your intelligence. In fact. I would think. You would question your own as well.

Nukeman
08-07-2013, 07:53 PM
Wartime, and the defense of our soldiers, sailors, marines, and airmen in a shooting war where it's KILL or be KILLED is totally different than this man who murdered his entire family.

If you still question the differences between wartime, and civilian murder for the hell of it. Of course, I would question your intelligence. In fact. I would think. You would question your own as well.
I question YOUR integrity due to the fact that you state one thing and mean something else. I NEVER stated that I felt that way, you are the one that said I stated that. Could you please show me where I said they were the same? I only pointed out that YOU said there is no excuse for killing anyone at anytime!!! Not I!!!!!!!

If I were you I would question your reading comprehension!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kathianne
08-07-2013, 08:21 PM
I can't find any stories online regarding the killings at the time they took place. All the info we have regarding this is from sources of today. In the case of his 'outing' it seems a reporter has been searching for him for a very long time.

He was young, doing drugs. He made contradictory statements about premeditated or not. In any case, was found not guilty due to insanity, (under drug influence would be my guess). He served quite a long time in facility, finishing hs and 1 degree if I remember the details.

When he was released, he earned MS and PhD. Changed his name, legally. Due to age and verdict, he didn't have a responsibility to report, check your applications for employment.

He's been employed for over 20 years, rising to head of department. I only know that my goddaughter was shocked and yes, saddened to hear he'd kept that secret for all these years. She just said that he was always available to students, willing to go out of his way to help with employment or going for funding for graduate work. His classes were 'amazing', in freshman year she changed major from education to pysch, based on his class. She said he was 'shy' and pretty soft-spoken. Didn't come to many 'faculty invited' events, sort of a loner, but seemed well-respected in the community. She never saw him drink at the few occasions where most were. She said he even joked she though to some extent, "Had enough back in the real hippie days, now it's water or Diet Dr. Pepper for me." She just remembered his saying that, perhaps 7 years ago.

Jeff
08-07-2013, 09:34 PM
He was acquitted, though; at fifteen years old. What if it was Zimmerman that changed his name in order to rebuild his life, including a career. Should his employer know all about his background, including being acquitted of a crime? (Imagine if he were hired to teach, say, race relations :laugh:) Of course, not guilty by self-defense and not guilty by reason insanity are different, but, its not as though a professorship is a public security job. If he was a cop of something, I'd say a more thorough background check would be warranted and those parts of his past illuminated....and likely would have been.

First he committed the murders said he did so and admitted he hated his father and I didn't see where he was acquitted he was found innocent do to being insane the insanity plea ,

"After a short trial, he was found “not guilty” by reason of insanity and spent the following six years in a mental institution."

ac·quit·tal

/əˈkwitl/
Noun
A judgment that a person is not guilty of the crime with which the person has been charged: "the trial resulted in an acquittal".

Zimmermin was Acquitted found not guilty big difference so therefor Zimmerman will never have to show that he was every even arrested ( for this) but that does bring up the question of this guy was never charged with a felony ( or never found guilty of one) the verdict says he was found innocent but locked up for insanity so Log although your wrong about Zimmerman you may be right about this guy maybe he didn't even have to put this on his app, unless of course if they asked had he ever been in a funny farm, which I myself have never seen so I would say with the knowledge of the law I have ( little ) he wouldn't need to tell anyone of his trial or being locked up for insanity

aboutime
08-07-2013, 09:37 PM
I question YOUR integrity due to the fact that you state one thing and mean something else. I NEVER stated that I felt that way, you are the one that said I stated that. Could you please show me where I said they were the same? I only pointed out that YOU said there is no excuse for killing anyone at anytime!!! Not I!!!!!!!

If I were you I would question your reading comprehension!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If saying that makes you feel better, and all comfy. Good for you.

Kathianne
08-07-2013, 10:03 PM
First he committed the murders said he did so and admitted he hated his father and I didn't see where he was acquitted he was found innocent do to being insane the insanity plea ,

"After a short trial, he was found “not guilty” by reason of insanity and spent the following six years in a mental institution."

ac·quit·tal

/əˈkwitl/
Noun
A judgment that a person is not guilty of the crime with which the person has been charged: "the trial resulted in an acquittal".

Zimmermin was Acquitted found not guilty big difference so therefor Zimmerman will never have to show that he was every even arrested ( for this) but that does bring up the question of this guy was never charged with a felony ( or never found guilty of one) the verdict says he was found innocent but locked up for insanity so Log although your wrong about Zimmerman you may be right about this guy maybe he didn't even have to put this on his app, unless of course if they asked had he ever been in a funny farm, which I myself have never seen so I would say with the knowledge of the law I have ( little ) he wouldn't need to tell anyone of his trial or being locked up for insanity

The reason I prefaced my above post to 'finding nothing at the time' regarding news, is the problem of causation. I'm pretty sure that one can 'hate their father' because said father doesn't give you all you want.

Then again, one can hate their father because he abuses you or others.

Then again, drugs can lean to tragic behaviors.

The last was proven, thus the insanity finding. That doesn't negate the others, just is what was 'determined.'

Sort of off topic, I'm seeing lots of threads where folks are claiming for such outcomes as impeachment, treason, etc., without really attempting to look into the requirements of each.

Perhaps the easiest to bring up and hardest to conquer is 'impeachment.' There are reasons for both the ease in accusing and difficulty in convicting. That so few charges have been brought, I chalk up to commonsense.

red states rule
08-08-2013, 02:20 AM
Where the F did that come from. If you're calling me a liberal your as blind as a bat.. If he paid his debt or was aquited that is the decision of the jury, we weren't there to hear the case, were you??????

Get up on the wrong side of the slab? Where did I include you in that post?

The news today confirmed as a punk teenager he boasted how he hated his father. After the murdered he tried to frame someone else. He knew what he was doing and did. He was not insane

Like Bill Ayers, he now has home and Is respected by his fellow liberals

BYW Nuke, try de-caf and chill out

Jeff
08-08-2013, 07:45 AM
The reason I prefaced my above post to 'finding nothing at the time' regarding news, is the problem of causation. I'm pretty sure that one can 'hate their father' because said father doesn't give you all you want.

Then again, one can hate their father because he abuses you or others.

Then again, drugs can lean to tragic behaviors.

The last was proven, thus the insanity finding. That doesn't negate the others, just is what was 'determined.'

Sort of off topic, I'm seeing lots of threads where folks are claiming for such outcomes as impeachment, treason, etc., without really attempting to look into the requirements of each.

Perhaps the easiest to bring up and hardest to conquer is 'impeachment.' There are reasons for both the ease in accusing and difficulty in convicting. That so few charges have been brought, I chalk up to commonsense.

OK Miss Kat when speaking with me you must Dumb the conversation down a bit :laugh: ( kidding , kind of) seriously one can hate there Father for many reason ( just ask my kids ) but in the article it stated he hated his father because he wouldn't allow him to go to a piece rally or some Peace thing ( another words Pop didn't want his kid to be a hippy lets remember the era here ) as for the drugs I am sure at that era they where involved. But to me the question is when is a person found 100% innocent of murders they admitted to but at the same time have to pull 6 years in the funny farm ? I have heard of people getting off but never being found completly inncoent due to insanity it is usually worded innocent due to insanity which I would think you would have to share on a job application, the way the article says that he was found innocent but did 6 years in a mental health hospital would make it sound as though it could be erased from his record ( but 3 murders should never be erased from your record )and if he lied or changed his name to get this job yes he should be fired and made to pay the university back all he has earned . But I see what you are saying and with all the facts not being available and the verdict is sketchy at best it leaves a big question mark

red states rule
08-09-2013, 01:59 AM
This jerk is in good company, there are several killers are now educating our kids.

snip

The New York Post reported (http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/manhattan/outrage_puQlvJIeZxsT7nFZds0HIJ) that Kathy Boudin, a professor at Columbia University, was named the 2013 Sheinberg Scholar-in-Residence at NYU Law School. In 1984, Boudin, a member of the Weather Underground, a violent, oafish association of upper-class “revolutionaries,” pled guilty to second-degree murder in association with the infamous 1981 Brinks armored car robbery in Nyack, New York. Babbling in the language of anti-racism and anti-imperialism, Boudin assisted in ending the life of three people, including Waverly Brown, the first black police officer on the Nyack police force, and left nine children fatherless. She was sentenced to 20 years to life in prison. In 2003, Boudin was released; by 2008 she had landed a coveted teaching position at an Ivy League university.

Indeed, Boudin’s Columbia University biography (http://socialwork.columbia.edu/faculty/adjunct-faculty/kathy-boudin) doesn’t mention her violent past, describing her simply as “an educator and counselor with experience in program development since 1964, working within communities with limited resources to solve social problems.” Neither does an official NYU press release (http://www.law.nyu.edu/sheinbergscholar/index.htm) announcing her new gig, instead explaining that Boudin “has been dedicated to community involvement in social change since the 1960’s.” Well, that’s one way of putting it. (Boudin didn’t respond to an interview request.)

Kick a student on the basketball court and you’ll lose your university job. Spend two decades in prison on radical chic murder rap and you’ll get one.

Let’s be clear: Private colleges can hire whomever they like, though one suspects that a Pinochet loyalist, a propagandist for Franco, or a far-right bomber—where academic jobs are scarce—wouldn’t make the shortlist of candidates at Columbia or NYU. In fact, there is a rather ignoble tradition within academia of welcoming those with fringe views and violent backgrounds, provided their politics were “misguided” in the appropriate direction.

The most famous Weather Underground bombers-cum-professors are, of course, Bill Ayers and Bernadine Dohrn (also a former Sheinberg Scholar-in-Residence at NYU, which must consider bomb-making skills when making its selection), whose infantile politics and tenure on the FBI’s Most Wanted List never dented the confidence of the University of Illinois or Northwestern University.

Ayers and Dohrn have long maintained that their bombing campaigns never deliberately targeted people, a claim that elides a rather important event: the famous 1970 explosion at a Weather bomb factory in New York City that killed three people, all of whom were constructing nail-packed pipe bombs for deployment at an army dance in Fort Dix, New Jersey. The goal was to blind, maim, and kill. Boudin was present, but escaped the explosion and evaded capture. She insisted during her 2003 parole hearing, against logic and and all available evidence, that she was unaware the house was being used to construct bombs.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2013/04/10/how-1960s-radicals-ended-up-teaching-your-kids.html

logroller
08-09-2013, 09:30 AM

ac·quit·tal

/əˈkwitl/
Noun

Uhhhh. He was found not guilty by reason of insanity, not innocent-- you even quoted it.

You'll have to explain the difference between "not guilty" and "not guilty"-- they appear exactly the same. US law refers to a person found "not guilty only by reason of insanity" as "an acquitted person". There is also a guilty but with diminished capacity finding too, i believe, but that's not the case in the OP.

18 USC § 4243 - Hospitalization of a person found not guilty only by reason of insanity
(f) Discharge.— When the director of the facility in which an acquitted person is hospitalized pursuant to subsection (e) determines that the person has recovered from his mental disease or defect to such an extent that his release, or his conditional release under a prescribed regimen of medical, psychiatric, or psychological care or treatment, would no longer create a substantial risk of bodily injury to another person or serious damage to property of another, he shall promptly file a certificate to that effect with the clerk of the court that ordered the commitment. The clerk shall send a copy of the certificate to the person’s counsel and to the attorney for the Government. The court shall order the discharge of the acquitted person or, on the motion of the attorney for the Government or on its own motion, shall hold a hearing, conducted pursuant to the provisions of section 4247 (d), to determine whether he should be released. If, after the hearing, the court finds by the standard specified in subsection (d) that the person has recovered from his mental disease or defect to such an extent that— read more: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/4243

WiccanLiberal
08-09-2013, 11:33 AM
V4R and I were speaking about this case the other night. It seems to me that the ultimate test of whether someone has been rehabilitated and is capable of being a contributing member of society is their behavior. This man has apparently made a good career for himself and been a mentor to his students. As an academic chair, I am sure he has been published. I cannot really fault him for creating a fresh start for himself. The very statements made about him here prove the logic of what he did. If he had not changed his name, he would have been subject to enormous prejudices. From what I have read, he suffered from paranoid schizophrenia. Too many people suffering from mental illness are inadequately treated and end up homeless or imprisoned for a variety of crimes. This man is a success story and I keep hearing people wanting to negate that success and turn him into an outcast. Are we a punitive or a compassionate society? Do we want people only punished for a wrong or do we truly want to help them be right again?

Voted4Reagan
08-09-2013, 11:36 AM
plain and simple... he was a child when it happened. early teens.

He was found mentally incapable of understanding what he did.

Leave him alone and let him continue to be an educator.

aboutime
08-09-2013, 12:21 PM
Thankfully. The way I see it. Nobody on this forum has any ability to change, or decide what happens to that man.
This is a forum where all of us get the chance to Voice our Opinion, and not make decisions for other people.

I like it that way.

Perianne
08-09-2013, 12:33 PM
He can kill people and still be a professor. But if he had used the n-word, he would be banished forever.

aboutime
08-09-2013, 12:43 PM
He can kill people and still be a professor. But if he had used the n-word, he would be banished forever.

Perianne. That's how double-standards, hypocrisy, and political correctness...combined with liberal tolerance seem to work. It thrives on the absence of Education, Common Sense, Logic, and the Human capability to THINK without someone else making up your mind.

It's no longer permitted to be questioned. Unless you enjoy being called radical, or a racist.

Drummond
08-09-2013, 12:53 PM
I'm unfamiliar with this case (... because of where I'm posting from, no doubt).

I can see merit in both sides. On the one hand, if he's carved out a career in which he's doing good things in society, if he's a definite benefit, that's all to the good. On the other, though .. and on balance, I think this is where I stand .. someone who's killed as this individual has, cannot surely be KNOWN to be a 'safe' individual ? How can anyone ever be 100 percent sure of what the future holds, and what his future capabilities will be ?

How can that not be a constant concern ?

Kathianne
08-09-2013, 01:37 PM

A worthy topic, 'lack of free speech on campus,' but not of consequence in this thread.

I'm unfamiliar with this case (... because of where I'm posting from, no doubt).

I can see merit in both sides. On the one hand, if he's carved out a career in which he's doing good things in society, if he's a definite benefit, that's all to the good. On the other, though .. and on balance, I think this is where I stand .. someone who's killed as this individual has, cannot surely be KNOWN to be a 'safe' individual ? How can anyone ever be 100 percent sure of what the future holds, and what his future capabilities will be ?

Truly, none of us come with 100% future on ourselves, no?

Found this via my goddaughter's facebook page:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2013/08/08/my-professor-the-killer-why-dr-james-st-james-should-stay.html

My Professor, the Killer: Why Dr. James St. James Should Stay <time class="timestamp" property="dc:created" datetime="2013-08-08T08:45:00.000Z" pubdate="pubdate">Aug 8, 2013 4:45 AM EDT </time> My classmates and I were shocked to learn our beloved psychology professor once murdered his family. But despite the calls for his dismissal, his impact on our lives proves that redemption is real.

logroller
08-09-2013, 09:13 PM

Easy peasy-- along with declaring the school a violence and gun-free zone-- ban glue.

Jeff
08-09-2013, 11:00 PM
Uhhhh. He was found not guilty by reason of insanity, not innocent-- you even quoted it.

You'll have to explain the difference between "not guilty" and "not guilty"-- they appear exactly the same. US law refers to a person found "not guilty only by reason of insanity" as "an acquitted person". There is also a guilty but with diminished capacity finding too, i believe, but that's not the case in the OP.

OK Number one he was found innocent by way of insanity I gave you the definition of innocent and I CLEARLY WROTE AT THE BOTTOM OF THAT POST YOU MAY BE RIGHT DUE TO THE WORDING OF HE WAS INNOCENT BY WAY OF INSANITY , and up until I read your description ( the law) I would of bet that if you do time for murder whether in jail or a funny farm you would not be able to just drop it from your record and I also posted that I had little knowledge of the law so maybe if you had read the entire post you would of seen that, and that has to be one of the worst laws on the book a guy kills three people and can own a gun but a guy cought with a bag of weed for his head at 18 can never own a gun unless he to files to have his record erased , so basically killing three people and smoking a joint is the same as long as you say I was high when I did it , I'm sorry I just don't think it is right and before you jump I said I don't think it is right

But you go ahead and have your moment it seems to me you need them

red states rule
08-10-2013, 05:01 AM
plain and simple... he was a child when it happened. early teens.

He was found mentally incapable of understanding what he did.

Leave him alone and let him continue to be an educator.

One this one you are wrong. He knew what he was doing. After the murders he tried to frame someone else for the crime. He got away with murder (more like slaughter) and now he is being held in high esteem in the liberal bastion of academia. I am sure the stories he could share with Bill Ayers would be interesting to say the least. A couple of killers who beat the rap

Kathianne
08-10-2013, 06:10 AM
One this one you are wrong. He knew what he was doing. After the murders he tried to frame someone else for the crime. He got away with murder (more like slaughter) and now he is being held in high esteem in the liberal bastion of academia. I am sure the stories he could share with Bill Ayers would be interesting to say the least. A couple of killers who beat the rap

There is no relation in a domestic crime by a teenager and what Bill Ayers did as a radical in his mid-late twenties for political reasons. Why conflate two unrelated crimes?

I don't know where you got the 'he tried to frame someone else...' The Sun-Times' reporting of this professor basically wrote from the the reports of the police said they found the gun in the attic. He told them what he'd done and the reasons he gave:

http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/21666213-418/downstate-professor-should-quit-because-of-familys-murders-in-1967-critics-say.html

After police responded to the crime scene, St. James was eventually taken to his minister’s parsonage where a Texas Ranger asked him if he’d killed his parents, and the boy responded he had, according to court records.
“In what order?” the officer asked.

“Father, then sister, then mother,” St. James responded, according to court records.

When a police officer asked him “why?” St. James said he “hated” his family, court records showed.

In an interview with a doctor, St. James said that five days before the killings he became convinced “that he had to do something about them, that they were contriving to drive him out of his mind,” according to court records.

Other grievances he listed against his family were that his mother “ate loudly,” and his sister had “a bad accent,” court records show.

St. James also pointed authorities to the .22-caliber rifle he had hidden in the attic after using it to kill his family, court records show.

The Advocate reported that court records indicated St. James acknowledged sniffing airplane glue for several months before the crimes, which his doctors said contributed to his paranoid schizophrenia.

Wolcott was charged with the murder of his father — the other two counts were dropped. An all-male jury ultimately found him not guilty by reason of insanity and ordered that he be institutionalized at a psychiatric hospital until he “became sane.”

Seems to me that today he probably would have been tried as an adult and that would have been that. There's room to discuss the differences between the way the courts dealt with 'teen killers' back then and today; which is more effective.

Larrymc
08-10-2013, 07:12 AM
OK after killing his family and getting away with it on insanity charges on insanity charges he changes his name and gets his Doctrine, then gets hired by a university , so much for background checks , but now they know the truth and still will employ him, something seems seriously wrong here

Administrators at a private university in Illinois (https://www.millikin.edu/about/bot/Pages/default.aspx) are standing by a psychology professor, despite his own admission that he shot and killed his father, mother and teenage sister in 1967.
Officials at Millikin University in Decatur, Ill., (http://www.millikin.edu/Pages/default.aspx) said they would allow the psychology professor, James St. James, 61, to continue teaching, according to a statement provided to Campus Reform (http://www.campusreform.org/blog/?ID=4949) on Tuesday.

http://www.wnd.com/2013/08/prof-kills-entire-family-keeps-teaching-job/I can't imagine why they would keep this guy, but i know my kids would no longer attend that University.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
08-10-2013, 07:32 AM
He can kill people and still be a professor. But if he had used the n-word, he would be banished forever. -----------------------------You see this is the state of the nation now. Priorities are all ffed up! Use the n-word and suddenly it's as if you murdered somebody. Actually murder somebody and it's as if you used the n-word back in the 60/70's. Since when the hell did a human life become worth less than somebody's bruised feelings!?? O' that's right since abortion became like cutting off a fingernail! ---------------------------------------------------------Speaking to all people Perianne , not in anyway castigating you. Your statement should have opened some peoples's eyes and minds but most likely didn't. Which just goes to show the mighty power of the government/media propaganda and conditioning the citizens of this nation have been exposed to since the 60's. I still favor justice and the authority of our Constitution over placating the feelings of dumbasses that can't find their big, fat asses with both hands.. -Tyr