PDA

View Full Version : How can adult humans digest milk?

Noir
08-07-2013, 10:13 AM
An interesting read for drinkers and non-drinkers alike, and especially so for lacto-intoerents, because they are in the vast majority, though you'd never think so...

"Whether you can digest milk comfortably after childhood is a genetic fluke. For many people, the ability to produce lactase—the enzyme that allows the body to break down lactase, the sugar in milk—disappears after childhood, when we no longer need to survive on our mother’s milk.
Lactase persistence—the gene that allows about a third of adults to drink milk without major digestive pains—tends to break down geographically, as you can see in this infographic from Nature’s history of milk tolerance. It’s largely a European phenomenon, evolving from a single genetic mutation that occurred less than 10,000 years ago.

As Nature explains:

During the most recent ice age, milk was essentially a toxin to adults because — unlike children — they could not produce the lactase enzyme required to break down lactose, the main sugar in milk. But as farming started to replace hunting and gathering in the Middle East around 11,000 years ago, cattle herders learned how to reduce lactose in dairy products to tolerable levels by fermenting milk to make cheese or yogurt. Several thousand years later, a genetic mutation spread through Europe that gave people the ability to produce lactase — and drink milk — throughout their lives.”

Thunderknuckles
08-07-2013, 10:29 AM
The vast majority of lactose intolerance appears to be in Africa and Asia. Western nations have a very low rate of intolerance.
If the genetic theory is true than this appears to be as wikipedia puts it, a "recent natural selection (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_selection) favoring lactase-persistent individuals"
Once could then conclude that people in the Western world are a bit more genetically advanced than their African and Asian counterparts :happy0203:

Noir
08-07-2013, 10:38 AM
The vast majority of lactose intolerance appears to be in Africa and Asia. Western nations have a very low rate of intolerance.
If the genetic theory is true than this appears to be as wikipedia puts it, a "recent natural selection (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_selection) favoring lactase-persistent individuals"
Once could then conclude that people in the Western world are a bit more genetically advanced than their African and Asian counterparts :happy0203:

Yeah aprox 70% of the worlds population. While many Euopeans/America s don't have full-blown intolerance, most are affected by the sugars, which is why it is common for vegans who reintroduce dairy into their diet to suffer from sever cramps and digestive problems.

Quite how you stretch 'we can drink another animals bodily fluids' into 'we're more advanced' is a other matter =p

Thunderknuckles
08-07-2013, 10:48 AM
Quite how you stretch 'we can drink another animals bodily fluids' into 'we're more advanced' is a other matter =p
Well, maybe not more advanced but it is certainly more desirable to be able to process a greater variety of energy sources from an evolutionary standpoint.
I was just being silly in any case :)

Trigg
08-07-2013, 12:10 PM
Interesting, I didn't know lactose intolerance was that wide spread, I thought it only affected a few people.

I wasn't able to tolerate milk products during any of my pregnancies, and I hated it. We drink a lot of milk. In fact hubby and the kids will go through 4 gallons a week.

logroller
08-07-2013, 12:34 PM
That's interesting. Sort of related, I read that domestic dogs have the ability to breakdown starches that their cousin, the wolf, cannot, allowing them to eat human scraps.

aboutime
08-07-2013, 12:39 PM
Interesting, I didn't know lactose intolerance was that wide spread, I thought it only affected a few people.

I wasn't able to tolerate milk products during any of my pregnancies, and I hated it. We drink a lot of milk. In fact hubby and the kids will go through 4 gallons a week.

Trigg. It surprised me, and my wife as well, many years ago before our grand children were born.

I used to drink milk at almost every meal. But age, and the meds I take to stay alive have made me Intolerant of all milk, and dairy products. And that really takes many of my favorite meals out of my life.
We have two grandkids who are Intolerant as well, and my wife can only use cream, or milk in her morning coffee.
If I use it in coffee. There is a usual, and expected daily result about two hours later.
I do believe it has something to do with...believe it or not. Where the cows graze, and which grasses they eat being treated by chemicals.
I think about it this way. A Gallon of Milk is now More Expensive than Gasoline in many places.
5365 Pick one!