PDA

View Full Version : TN judge orders 7-month old name changed from Messiah

logroller
08-12-2013, 11:21 PM
Hey tyr, i think i found one of those dumbass judges you were talking about. --

Ed already hit this in the Greenroom but it deserves front-page treatment, just because the judge makes no pretense — surprisingly — of her motive. She’s a Christian and therefore the title of “Messiah” is reserved for just one person, which means Christianity is effectively part of the law in Cocke County Chancery Court. That’s a slam-dunk Establishment Clause violation. Either she doesn’t know that or she doesn’t care and was looking to make a point, even if that means it’ll be overturned on appeal. (Spoiler: It will be.)

-snip-
Small silver lining to this precedent, though: If it sticks, “Barack” will soon be off-limits in Democratic districts. Exit question: Wait — “Messiah” is the fourth fastest-rising name for babies?
http://hotair.com/archives/2013/08/12/judge-orders-babys-name-changed-from-messiah-over-parents-objections/

And more, from NPR- Asked what she thinks of parents who name their child "Jesus," Ballew said, "I thought about that as well. And that's not relevant to this case." http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2013/08/12/211348996/judge-orders-babys-name-changed-from-messiah

jafar00
08-13-2013, 06:38 AM
Poor kid. You don't name your kid to make a statement. It's just wrong.

Marcus Aurelius
08-13-2013, 07:26 AM
Poor kid. You don't name your kid to make a statement. It's just wrong.

tell that to all the Muslim parents who name their kid after their pedophile prophet.

red state
08-13-2013, 08:49 AM
I actually (for the first time) agree with Jafar but I also agree (as a rarity) with the author and, of course, Marcus, whom I have always found extremely agreeable. I even agree with ALL the many news sources (be it liberal or conservative) that this judge is an idiot and can only pave the way for others to, as Jafar said, "MAKE A STATEMENT". I'm not sure if these parents were doing thiat but I'm certain that others will do so and do so with fervent hatred toward those they are directing such statement. There are those who name their children Adolph Hitler Johnston (for example) and this can only hurt their child (because of the parents hatred to a select few). Quite honestly, I am not offended by the name (although it is odd). I'd, of course, not name my child such a name but that is my right, just as it is those parent's rights. I'm sure there are dogs named "MESSIAH" and this ignorant, tyrannical judge should have stayed out of these parent's business.

In short, I agree with EVERYONE (accept the judge).

red state
08-13-2013, 09:03 AM
You can close your jaw now, Jafar....I'm sure my agreeing with you (to some degree) has you in some sort of jaw dropping SHOCK. You see, if one makes even the slightest amount of sense, I'll give credit to the devil himself. :clap:

Gaffer
08-13-2013, 09:46 AM
Frank Zappa named his daughter Moon Unit and his son Dweezil. I guess he wanted them to grow up tough.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
08-13-2013, 10:08 AM
Hey tyr, i think i found one of those dumbass judges you were talking about. --

Ed already hit this in the Greenroom but it deserves front-page treatment, just because the judge makes no pretense — surprisingly — of her motive. She’s a Christian and therefore the title of “Messiah” is reserved for just one person, which means Christianity is effectively part of the law in Cocke County Chancery Court. That’s a slam-dunk Establishment Clause violation. Either she doesn’t know that or she doesn’t care and was looking to make a point, even if that means it’ll be overturned on appeal. (Spoiler: It will be.)

-snip-
Small silver lining to this precedent, though: If it sticks, “Barack” will soon be off-limits in Democratic districts. Exit question: Wait — “Messiah” is the fourth fastest-rising name for babies?
http://hotair.com/archives/2013/08/12/judge-orders-babys-name-changed-from-messiah-over-parents-objections/

And more, from NPR- Asked what she thinks of parents who name their child "Jesus," Ballew said, "I thought about that as well. And that's not relevant to this case." http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2013/08/12/211348996/judge-orders-babys-name-changed-from-messiah Told ya. A lot of judges are batshat crazy. I do not care what their politics or religion is. Crazy and stupid are crazy and stupid. Good that you see judges can be that way... -Tyr