PDA

View Full Version : Putting one leg infront of the other in quick succession

Noir
08-13-2013, 06:14 AM
Also know as running!

Any current or past runners on the forum? Surly there can't not be. I've been doing bits and bobs over the past few months, mostly centring around 5K but nothing consistent.

But this month have started committing to it properly, with a planned schedule of two/three 3K runs and one 5K+ run per week. (building yo 10K by November)

The last 7 days runs, starting from scratch basically so i'm regarding these as my base times to improve.
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j176/jonathan-mcc/7F804AAF-707B-4630-A2D2-BD7EA193732E-1412-0000013E74EB95FD_zps499a6ab1.jpg

Also if anyone uses nike+ hmu

Gaffer
08-13-2013, 08:55 AM
Army basic training burned me out on running. Want to build up your running ability Noir? We ran everywhere we went for ten weeks. Whether it was two blocks or five miles, we ran. Sunny, rainy, cold, hot. We ran. And one very important thing. We did it with full combat gear. Boots, helmet, full pack, M14 rifle, eight clips, poncho and field jacket. And their were lots of hills and even sand dunes. It was Ft. Ord Ca.

To graduate we had to run a mile and a half in 8 minutes. Most of us did it in 6. With combat boots not running shoes.

To build up your stamina weigh yourself down.

fj1200
08-13-2013, 09:11 AM

But he's already weighed down with excess liberal baggage with its innate fear of success. :poke:

Noir
08-13-2013, 09:23 AM
Army basic training burned me out on running. Want to build up your running ability Noir? We ran everywhere we went for ten weeks. Whether it was two blocks or five miles, we ran. Sunny, rainy, cold, hot. We ran. And one very important thing. We did it with full combat gear. Boots, helmet, full pack, M14 rifle, eight clips, poncho and field jacket. And their were lots of hills and even sand dunes. It was Ft. Ord Ca.

To graduate we had to run a mile and a half in 8 minutes. Most of us did it in 6. With combat boots not running shoes.

Yeah i Roleplay every couple of weekends that requires running in full body chain-mail and with weapons/pouches/canters etc. I'm not certain what the weight is but its prob in the 40-50 pounds region. Nay fun, but hopefully this'll start to help with that.

And 6 minute mile and a half? Bloody hell xD

Gaffer
08-13-2013, 09:38 AM
Yeah i Roleplay every couple of weekends that requires running in full body chain-mail and with weapons/pouches/canters etc. I'm not certain what the weight is but its prob in the 40-50 pounds region. Nay fun, but hopefully this'll start to help with that.

And 6 minute mile and a half? Bloody hell xD

In combat boots.

If you ran in that gear every day for a few weeks you would find running without it a breeze and you would cover long distances faster.

Noir
08-13-2013, 09:54 AM
In combat boots.

If you ran in that gear every day for a few weeks you would find running without it a breeze and you would cover long distances faster.

Yeahbut i don't think my wee seaside town is ready for some crazy running along its coastline every night in medieval garb ^,^;

revelarts
08-13-2013, 11:04 AM
Yeahbut i don't think my wee seaside town is ready for some crazy running along its coastline every night in medieval garb ^,^;

Bring some character to the town though.

I ran Cross country in high school mostly 2.25 to 3.5 mile tracks.
We practiced 5 mile loops and some 7 - 20 mile training days in the Virginia mountains during the summer.
No packs though.
But we killed a mile and half too. It was a short run to us.

Ran in college as well, I've run off an on in the 15+ yrs since then. I can still run decent distances from a cold start. But now I'm into push-ups, swimming and some biking. Easier on the knees.

jafar00
08-13-2013, 02:52 PM
I walk 4km (2 each way) a day between the ferry and home instead of catching a bus (weather dependant ;)). Running in business attire is not recommended but at least I walk it :)

Trigg
08-13-2013, 04:10 PM
I never enjoyed running.

But my 15yr old loves cross county and track. :cuckoo: maybe it's a recessive gene