PDA

View Full Version : Kids started Middle school

Jeff
08-16-2013, 07:12 AM
Well I got my kids off to school, yup they start middle school today and I am so proud of them, they enrolled in accelerated math and English and have been on the Honor roll or Principals list every marking period since starting school but this is a whole new adventure , and yes they are so smart that my brother needed to call late last night and tell me the one charmer posted his schedule with his locker number and the combination in the picture on Fb last night :laugh: he wont ever use it anyway but man what brains these kids have

But onto the real good news today I leave out for Destination Helen , I will be up there until Sunday with the Brothers and sisters of the new club, they will have scenic guided tours to ride through the mountains wet t shirt contests and so many different bands playing I can't remember half of them , we will be pulling out around one, I am dropping the wife off then going to work on a gun with a police officer friend then at one I will pick the bride up on the bike and we will be Helen bound, weekends like this makes me wish I was still partying , naa not really The Club I am in is a Christian club Sorry jafar I know you where wanting to go with me and we will have a blast and be sober while doing so , OOO yea this is also our wedding anniversary the wife and I will; be married 12 years now, I almost beat my first stint in marriage, but this is a good one 12 years seems more like 12 days it is flying by

Marcus Aurelius
08-16-2013, 07:18 AM
And I thought starting on 8/26 was early.:coffee:

fj1200
08-16-2013, 07:34 AM
Well I got my kids off to school, yup they start middle school today and I am so proud of them...

But onto the real good news today I leave out for Destination Helen...

My oldest doesn't start middle school for another year. Did you say in another thread that a smartphone was required? :eek:

Have fun in Helen, hopefully you can avoid the rain and can dress for the cooler temps.

Mine have been in since 8/1. :coffee:

Jeff
08-16-2013, 09:25 AM

My oldest doesn't start middle school for another year. Did you say in another thread that a smartphone was required? :eek:

Have fun in Helen, hopefully you can avoid the rain and can dress for the cooler temps.

Mine have been in since 8/1. :coffee:

Marcus I think it is due to the heat or maybe just needing the kids in the fields , we use to start right after Labor day but then went to the middle to the end of June down here they will be out in May sometime

fj each class we went to last night during orientation explained how they would allow the kids to use the smart phones , my boys have androids which are fine , they say they use them to help look things up so yea they are going that way

As for Helen Thank you , I just got back from taking the wife to work and it is pouring out ( figures ) but they are calling for 70% now but it drops to 50% by 1 so maybe we will luck out other wise it is going to be a wet cold ride right now it is 60% here , OOO and I pulled up the weather for Helen the chance of rain drops for the weekend but still stays at around 40 to 50% all weekend , so it may be a wet trip

fj1200
08-16-2013, 11:10 AM
fj each class we went to last night during orientation explained how they would allow the kids to use the smart phones , my boys have androids which are fine , they say they use them to help look things up so yea they are going that way

Interesting. I haven't heard anything about phones but then we've got one more year before he hits 6th grade.

Kathianne
08-16-2013, 04:32 PM
Well I got my kids off to school, yup they start middle school today and I am so proud of them, they enrolled in accelerated math and English and have been on the Honor roll or Principals list every marking period since starting school but this is a whole new adventure , and yes they are so smart that my brother needed to call late last night and tell me the one charmer posted his schedule with his locker number and the combination in the picture on Fb last night :laugh: he wont ever use it anyway but man what brains these kids have

But onto the real good news today I leave out for Destination Helen , I will be up there until Sunday with the Brothers and sisters of the new club, they will have scenic guided tours to ride through the mountains wet t shirt contests and so many different bands playing I can't remember half of them , we will be pulling out around one, I am dropping the wife off then going to work on a gun with a police officer friend then at one I will pick the bride up on the bike and we will be Helen bound, weekends like this makes me wish I was still partying , naa not really The Club I am in is a Christian club Sorry jafar I know you where wanting to go with me and we will have a blast and be sober while doing so , OOO yea this is also our wedding anniversary the wife and I will; be married 12 years now, I almost beat my first stint in marriage, but this is a good one 12 years seems more like 12 days it is flying by

Middle schoolers rock! I hope they have a wonderful year! You have a great trip!

Kathianne
08-16-2013, 04:49 PM
Interesting. I haven't heard anything about phones but then we've got one more year before he hits 6th grade.

Marcus I think it is due to the heat or maybe just needing the kids in the fields , we use to start right after Labor day but then went to the middle to the end of June down here they will be out in May sometime

As for Helen Thank you , I just got back from taking the wife to work and it is pouring out ( figures ) but they are calling for 70% now but it drops to 50% by 1 so maybe we will luck out other wise it is going to be a wet cold ride right now it is 60% here , OOO and I pulled up the weather for Helen the chance of rain drops for the weekend but still stays at around 40 to 50% all weekend , so it may be a wet trip

Ah the schools and smartphones, a conundrum. I substitute in 4 high schools and 10 middle schools, these are divided between two districts, each having 2 HS, one having 4 MS, the other 6. The district with the 6 MS, one of the top 20 districts in the country, required all HS students to have smartphones. There were apps they had to have downloaded depending on courses. In their middle schools, they provided IPads for much the same reasons. Now mind you, every classroom already had 35 laptops that are in charging station when not in use. The superintendent just viewed the smartphones as the new norm and felt the students had to be prepared for the future. Useful in many ways, kids can easily look up information, especially dictionary and encyclopedias.

All was fine, until it was caught that the AP kids in one of the schools had started a cheating ring, including all tests and advanced assignments. They never found the zero kid, but the tests included the actual AP for credit tests. Needless to say, this was huge and resulted in ban on the phones awaiting further study. No one even bothered to see if the cheating was also occurring in other levels or during class. How could the teachers tell? Actually had been a teacher concern from the start.

Ipads are a bit easier, since the screens are larger. I just don't get why they need 'constant access' when they have the school provided access when necessary.

Larrymc
08-16-2013, 06:41 PM

But onto the real good news today I leave out for Destination Helen , I will be up there until Sunday with the Brothers and sisters of the new club, they will have scenic guided tours to ride through the mountains wet t shirt contests and so many different bands playing I can't remember half of them , we will be pulling out around one, I am dropping the wife off then going to work on a gun with a police officer friend then at one I will pick the bride up on the bike and we will be Helen bound, weekends like this makes me wish I was still partying , naa not really The Club I am in is a Christian club Sorry jafar I know you where wanting to go with me and we will have a blast and be sober while doing so , OOO yea this is also our wedding anniversary the wife and I will; be married 12 years now, I almost beat my first stint in marriage, but this is a good one 12 years seems more like 12 days it is flying byCongrats on the anniversary, and the little scholars, by the way smart as they are i hope you have a savvy person watching them, Aaaa junior high they can find trouble in a hurry at that age.:laugh:

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
08-16-2013, 10:35 PM

Its all a breeze until High School. Then they tend to need your help more on adult type assignments. I found them easy but they did cost me valuable time that was in very short supply for me back then. Still all in all it helped my daughter ever so greatly and did fit into my plan to re-teach her the truth on many things . I dread it coming on with Justin in 9/10 years but just pray that I am here above ground to wade thru it all with him..... re-teaching and all.... Tyr

Jeff
08-18-2013, 05:52 PM
Well we made it home, the weekend was WET :laugh: Actually (fj will know where I mean ) I left in a Major rain , but as we got up top of the Mountain on 17 it quit and it warmed up and stayed dry the rest of the day, but the head liner bands where coming on Saturday and it started out just like Friday cloudy but dry, I was assigned to work the main gate and collect the money and sure enough about 1 o clock the sky feel out it did stop for 15 mins here and there but basically rained all day , we had bikes slipping and sliding everywhere during the bike games( I am not sure if the Bikini contest ever happened it was to cold for me to wear a bathing suite but who knows I was to far from the stage to see) then about 7 last night ( as the first band finished) we get word everything is cancelled , seems the Jeff Vaughn Band was hooking up and blew out there sound board due to the weather so that ended everything. But there where a lot of good people there a lot of clubs represented and no hassles ( except the rain ) Then this morning I got up around 4 and it was pouring , 5 ,6, 7 all the same by 8 though the Rain had stopped so we had a cool damp ride home, a little mist but other than that was a good ride, Thanks for the Anniversary wishes .

fj1200
08-18-2013, 08:27 PM
Curvy roads in the wet? Not fun. Glad you made the best of it. Have you been to Barber Motorsports Park (http://www.barbermotorsports.com/park/) near Birmingham yet? Awesome MC museum there; a trip is in the works.

Jeff
08-19-2013, 08:22 AM
Curvy roads in the wet? Not fun. Glad you made the best of it. Have you been to Barber Motorsports Park (http://www.barbermotorsports.com/park/) near Birmingham yet? Awesome MC museum there; a trip is in the works.

No I haven't been there but I will have to check it out, as for the wet windy roads I had just put a new tire on the rear and never slipped a bit , the bike called for a Bridgestone so I got a price on it and when I bought the bike it had a brand new tire on the front ( a cheap make of course ) so I got a price on it to then called the local shop to see how close they could get and he beat the cheap tire but told me he couldn't do anything with the Bridgstone but then said he had a customer with a heavy touring bike that loves these Michelin Commander 2's and asked if I would be interested in them ( I thought here we go a $250 sale ) but he came back on the phone and beat the Bridgstone by like 6 bucks , I think the Michelin was $162 for a rear tire, so I checked into them on line and couldn't get close to that price and they are rated real high so I had it put on, well if you have ever changed two severely worn out tires on a bike and feel the difference ( feels like a different bike ) that is how this rear tire felt and we rode in a typhoon this weekend and they did great so as long as I can get say 20,000 on them I am a commander for life :laugh: