PDA

View Full Version : New Jersey Gov. Christie vetoes .50-caliber rifle ban

Marcus Aurelius
08-17-2013, 10:26 AM
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/08/17/new-jersey-gov-christie-vetoes-50-caliber-rifle-ban/?test=latestnews

Republican Gov. Chris Christie on Friday vetoed a ban on .50-caliber rifles that was vigorously opposed by firearms rights advocates and gutted a proposal overhauling the state’s gun permit law. Christie said the permit changes adopted by lawmakers were impractical because they rely on technology that hasn’t been developed.
“None of the technology necessary for this system exists. … the smartcard called for by this bill cannot be implemented now or any time in the foreseeable future,” Christie said in his conditional veto message.

...Christie likened the measure to a 2002 law requiring handguns be fitted with personal recognition technology to prevent non-recognized users from firing them. He said the technology still doesn’t exist 11 years later.

“Tellingly, the Legislature points to no instance of this class of firearms being used by even a single criminal in New Jersey,” Christie said.

The NRA appears to have a friend in New Jersey. Suck THAT, gun control wackos!

Thunderknuckles
08-17-2013, 12:31 PM
So, is it OK to like Christie again? :laugh:

Marcus Aurelius
08-17-2013, 01:52 PM
So, is it OK to like Christie again? :laugh:

It's never NOT been okay to like a governor who puts the people of his state above party nonsense.

Larrymc
08-17-2013, 02:02 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/08/17/new-jersey-gov-christie-vetoes-50-caliber-rifle-ban/?test=latestnews

The NRA appears to have a friend in New Jersey. Suck THAT, gun control wackos!

Is someone felling the heat from kissing up to Obama, Trying to appear to be leaning back toward the right now?

jafar00
08-17-2013, 02:56 PM
I have to ask. Why the hell would a civilian need a .50 cal?

Missileman
08-17-2013, 06:56 PM

If need were the standard for owning anything, you'd have one set of clothing, a small one room shack with a straw mat on the floor, a bus pass, a daily ration of rice and water and access to the communal latrine and shower, period.

hjmick
08-17-2013, 07:07 PM

Because it would be a fucking blast to shoot. Expensive as hell, but fun...

And there need not be any other reason than that.

Larrymc
08-17-2013, 07:27 PM
I have to ask. Why the hell would a civilian need a .50 cal?I can't imagine why, but with the way things are changing in this country, im ok knowing we have some law abiding citizens with some big guns.

aboutime
08-17-2013, 07:42 PM
I can't imagine why, but with the way things are changing in this country, im ok knowing we have some law abiding citizens with some big guns.

Okay. Let's do a quick poll here. Just for shits and giggles.

Does anyone here know anyone...other than someone in the military, or in the police forces who OWNS a .50 cal weapon, or has access to .50 cal. ammo????

Really?

I had the opportunity back in the early 90's, aboard the ship I was stationed on. To operate, and fire a .50 cal. with a short blast of 10 shells toward a floating, wooden box...at SEA.
There's a reason FEW people (civilians) have a .50 cal, or has any of the ammo.
The weapon is heavy, loud, and FEW people can afford to own such a weapon. Much less be able to fire one legally.
This is just another EXCUSE to whine from the Anti-gun, Tree-hugging, Lame-brain's, who must complain about everything, all the time. Just to feel better.

hjmick
08-17-2013, 08:00 PM
If you're willing to fork over the cash, a lot of cash, .50 cal rifles are readily available to civilians as is the ammunition (also expensive).

Barrett's price list has their .50 cals starting at about $6,000.00 and going as high as, depending on options, $14,750.00, or there about. Fifty rounds can cost a person $90.00. I saw one in New Mexico a couple of years ago for $5,000.00. I guess I should have bought it, didn't realize the prices would change so drastically...

I do believe some states may have banned them... California comes to mind.

logroller
08-17-2013, 08:09 PM
Long range shooting competition primarily. FWIW, its never been used in the commission of a crime in the United States.

logroller
08-17-2013, 08:12 PM
If you're willing to fork over the cash, a lot of cash, .50 cal rifles are readily available to civilians as is the ammunition (also expensive).

Barrett's price list has their .50 cals starting at about $6,000.00 and going as high as, depending on options, $14,750.00, or there about. Fifty rounds can cost a person $90.00. I saw one in New Mexico a couple of years ago for $5,000.00. I guess I should have bought it, didn't realize the prices would change so drastically...

I do believe some states may have banned them... California comes to mind.
Its considered a dangerous and unusual weapon in CA--meaning no new purchases-- iirc, even possession of the ammunition without the rifle is verboten.

Marcus Aurelius
08-17-2013, 09:31 PM

Ask these guys...

http://www.fcsa.org/

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
08-17-2013, 09:32 PM
Is someone felling the heat from kissing up to Obama, Trying to appear to be leaning back toward the right now? Yes. That someone finally decided to pull his lips off Obama's stinking ass long enough to try to repair his reputation. His problem is once true conservatives and patriots see your treason and corruption you are a turd to them forever more! I wouldn't vote for the fat bastard even as a city dog catcher. F-him and his fat ass forever. His little stunt helped Obama regain the throne. For that he should be made to pay!!! A sold out fat bastard he is.... I am hundred times the man he is and I have a reputation of not flip flopping or betraying my principles. Such a sold out bastard as Christie will never get my vote, never!! -Tyr

Marcus Aurelius
08-17-2013, 09:35 PM
Long range shooting competition primarily. FWIW, its never been used in the commission of a crime in the United States.

Imagine the dumb ass who walks into a bank lugging a 50 cal rifle and tries to hold them up. Even if they did manage to shoot someone, they'd get knocked to the ground or shot by security before they could reload.

aboutime
08-17-2013, 09:55 PM
Okay. Let's do a quick poll here. Just for shits and giggles.

Does anyone here know anyone...other than someone in the military, or in the police forces who OWNS a .50 cal weapon, or has access to .50 cal. ammo????

Really?

I had the opportunity back in the early 90's, aboard the ship I was stationed on. To operate, and fire a .50 cal. with a short blast of 10 shells toward a floating, wooden box...at SEA.
There's a reason FEW people (civilians) have a .50 cal, or has any of the ammo.
The weapon is heavy, loud, and FEW people can afford to own such a weapon. Much less be able to fire one legally.
This is just another EXCUSE to whine from the Anti-gun, Tree-hugging, Lame-brain's, who must complain about everything, all the time. Just to feel better.

Forgot to mention how the .50 cal. is primarily used for Sniper competitions here at home, and very effective for targets of opportunity in Afghanistan.
Good thing about the .50 cal, and any victims. They never complain, and remain silent about it.