PDA

View Full Version : Obamacare Preview: Teachers Funding School Supplies Out Of Their Own Pockets

Jeff
08-21-2013, 08:10 AM
With two kids in the sixth grade I can tell ya that this is true, every year the school gives out a list of things asking for donations and when they don't have them yes the poor teachers take money out of there pockets to buy them. I have a friend that is a Substitute teacher and she has taken money out of her pocket to buy things for the class she was teaching .

I know from personal experience, that in addition to the public school teachers who spend hundreds of their own dollars on classroom supplies, parents are also being asked to pay for such items. As USA Today reports: “Hannah Martin is in her second year as a pre-kindergarten teacher at Salem Elementary School in Apex, N.C. The 23-year-old makes about $34,000 a year and in her spare time takes as many babysitting jobs as she can get. Martin, who rents a room in a house she shares with four other women, said the work outside her classroom is necessary if her students are to have the school supplies they need. ‘I only have $100 from the school for the whole year to buy supplies, and it’s not enough,’ Martin said. ‘I do the babysitting to help get money to buy toys and books,’ said the North Carolina native. ‘I even had to buy shelves and a stool for the kids to stand on to wash their hands at the sink. I spent about $500 on supplies last year, and It definitely hurts my own pocketbook.’ With school budgets across the country slashed, Martin is part of a growing number of teachers spending more of their own money for school supplies, according to a recent survey from insurance firm Horace Mann, which focuses on products for educators.

http://lastresistance.com/3046/obamacare-preview-teachers-funding-school-supplies-out-of-their-own-pockets/

Spike
08-21-2013, 12:06 PM
No offense dude this has nothing to do with Obummercare. my kids teachers have been paying for their kids supplies for ten years.