PDA

View Full Version : Gingrich Warns of GOP Losses in 2008

Pale Rider
06-08-2007, 07:22 PM
Gingrich Warns of GOP Losses in 2008

Jun 8, 2:10 PM (ET)

By BEN EVANS

WASHINGTON (AP) - Republican Newt Gingrich, in a jab at President Bush, warned on Friday that the GOP will lose the White House and Congress in 2008 if the nominee is perceived as a continuation of the Bush presidency.

Addressing a conservative organization, the former House Speaker never mentioned the president by name, but his political point was clear.

"If the Republicans run a stand-pat presidential candidate who ends up being on defense for all of September and October and who is seen by the country as representing four more years, the fact is that Republicans are not going to win," Gingrich told the American Enterprise Institute.

Gingrich, a former Georgia congressman, is considering a White House run, with an announcement likely in the fall.

He has roundly criticized the Bush administration in recent interviews, describing the White House as dysfunctional and saying the president has driven the party into collapse. While he refrained from direct criticism Friday, he cited failures in Iraq, border security and the response to Hurricane Katrina as signs of a broken government.

His comments come just days after a Republican presidential debate in which GOP candidates criticized Bush over his handling of the Iraq war, his diplomatic style and his approach to immigration.

The biting words surprisingly have been uttered while the president is overseas attending an economic summit with other world leaders.

In the speech, Gingrich handicapped the current GOP field - and the prospect of Fred Thompson joining the race.

He praised Rudy Giuliani's handling of crime as New York City mayor, saying that experience and his response to the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks have propelled his candidacy. Gingrich contended that Giuliani's image on national security would offset his more liberal positions on social issues.

"In a world where a nuclear weapon could eliminate an American city in seconds, he has a very strong case," said Gingrich. "He has certainly done better so far than people would guess."

He said Sen. John McCain of Arizona has more to overcome, including explaining his positions on immigration and campaign finance regulation.

"If you were to handicap this race, he has the greatest challenge in a Republican primary," Gingrich said.

Thompson, the former Tennessee senator, is a "very formidable" candidate, while former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney is a "very serious person who is working very hard," Gingrich said.

Gingrich, who helped shut down government over spending fights with the Clinton administration in the 1990s, said Republicans must offer a more dramatic platform for remaking government that focuses on private-sector innovation.

In a glimpse of what his candidacy might look like, he said he would shut down public schools that aren't performing and offer a $20 billion reward for the first private company that successfully completes a Mars mission.

"Somebody would be there and back about 40 percent of the way into the NASA process," he said.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20070608/D8PKPNVG0.html

nevadamedic
06-08-2007, 07:29 PM
Gingrich Warns of GOP Losses in 2008

Jun 8, 2:10 PM (ET)

By BEN EVANS

WASHINGTON (AP) - Republican Newt Gingrich, in a jab at President Bush, warned on Friday that the GOP will lose the White House and Congress in 2008 if the nominee is perceived as a continuation of the Bush presidency.

Addressing a conservative organization, the former House Speaker never mentioned the president by name, but his political point was clear.

"If the Republicans run a stand-pat presidential candidate who ends up being on defense for all of September and October and who is seen by the country as representing four more years, the fact is that Republicans are not going to win," Gingrich told the American Enterprise Institute.

Gingrich, a former Georgia congressman, is considering a White House run, with an announcement likely in the fall.

He has roundly criticized the Bush administration in recent interviews, describing the White House as dysfunctional and saying the president has driven the party into collapse. While he refrained from direct criticism Friday, he cited failures in Iraq, border security and the response to Hurricane Katrina as signs of a broken government.

His comments come just days after a Republican presidential debate in which GOP candidates criticized Bush over his handling of the Iraq war, his diplomatic style and his approach to immigration.

The biting words surprisingly have been uttered while the president is overseas attending an economic summit with other world leaders.

In the speech, Gingrich handicapped the current GOP field - and the prospect of Fred Thompson joining the race.

He praised Rudy Giuliani's handling of crime as New York City mayor, saying that experience and his response to the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks have propelled his candidacy. Gingrich contended that Giuliani's image on national security would offset his more liberal positions on social issues.

"In a world where a nuclear weapon could eliminate an American city in seconds, he has a very strong case," said Gingrich. "He has certainly done better so far than people would guess."

He said Sen. John McCain of Arizona has more to overcome, including explaining his positions on immigration and campaign finance regulation.

"If you were to handicap this race, he has the greatest challenge in a Republican primary," Gingrich said.

Thompson, the former Tennessee senator, is a "very formidable" candidate, while former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney is a "very serious person who is working very hard," Gingrich said.

Gingrich, who helped shut down government over spending fights with the Clinton administration in the 1990s, said Republicans must offer a more dramatic platform for remaking government that focuses on private-sector innovation.

In a glimpse of what his candidacy might look like, he said he would shut down public schools that aren't performing and offer a $20 billion reward for the first private company that successfully completes a Mars mission.

"Somebody would be there and back about 40 percent of the way into the NASA process," he said.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20070608/D8PKPNVG0.html

He's making enemies with the wrong people really quick.

Pale Rider
06-08-2007, 07:33 PM
He's making enemies with the wrong people really quick.

Not in my book he isn't. He's making points, and with many people. I he decides to run, he's got my vote. Tancredo would make a good Vice President.

nevadamedic
06-08-2007, 07:38 PM
Not in my book he isn't. He's making points, and with many people. I he decides to run, he's got my vote. Tancredo would make a good Vice President.

I liked him, but I doubt his mental health after reading this. He just committed political suicide with the GOP, he will have to run Independent to stand any chance, and then Tommy Thompson would even blow him out of the water.

Gaffer
06-08-2007, 07:40 PM
Newt, Tancredo and Thompson. A real toss up between those three for me. I kinda expect if Thompson and Tancredo take off by Nov Newt won't get into it.

Pale Rider
06-08-2007, 07:41 PM
I liked him, but I doubt his mental health after reading this. He just committed political suicide with the GOP, he will have to run Independent to stand any chance, and then Tommy Thompson would even blow him out of the water.

I don't know why you think that. The man is highly intelligent, an accomplished author and historian, and has WIDESPREAD support among conservatives, myself included. Distancing yourself from bush is a GOOD thing to do right now, for the left AND right.

I think if he runs, he could be the next President.

nevadamedic
06-08-2007, 07:44 PM
I don't know why you think that. The man is highly intelligent, an accomplished author and historian, and has WIDESPREAD support among conservatives, myself included. Distancing yourself from bush is a GOOD thing to do right now, for the left AND right.

In this case no Newt is good Newt. :laugh2:

nevadamedic
06-08-2007, 07:45 PM
Id prefer to see Guiliani President and Fred Thompson or Mccain(if he gets a mental enima on this immigration issue) for Vice-President.

Pale Rider
06-08-2007, 07:51 PM
Id prefer to see Guiliani President and Fred Thompson or Mccain(if he gets a mental enima on this immigration issue) for Vice-President.

Giuliani, not a true conservative. He won't get the older conservative vote, can't win. His pro abortion, anti gun stand will splash him. McCain, it should be obvious to everyone by now, he's finished. The amnesty deal was the last nail in his coffin. Fred Thompson is the only one out of the three you mentioned that stands a chance, and even then, if someone comes along with a better plan, he won't make it either. I think Newt probably has the best plans for change out of them all.

Dilloduck
06-08-2007, 07:57 PM
Giuliani, not a true conservative. He won't get the older conservative vote, can't win. His pro abortion, anti gun stand will splash him. McCain, it should be obvious to everyone by now, he's finished. Fred Thompson is the only out of the three you mention that stands a chance, and even then, if someone comes along with a better plan, he won't make it either. I think Newt probably has the best plans for change out of them all.

No doubt Newt is the best man that the GOP has to offer and they better listen to him. So far all they have running are extreme "politicians" and I wouldn't give a plug nickle for any of them. The fact that McCain is still getting enough support to stay in the race is nauseating.

nevadamedic
06-08-2007, 07:58 PM
Giuliani, not a true conservative. He won't get the older conservative vote, can't win. His pro abortion, anti gun stand will splash him. McCain, it should be obvious to everyone by now, he's finished. The amnesty deal was the last nail in his coffin. Fred Thompson is the only one out of the three you mentioned that stands a chance, and even then, if someone comes along with a better plan, he won't make it either. I think Newt probably has the best plans for change out of them all.

I just read more about Tancredo and I liked what I read, he is the only one with a strong stance on immigration and the people definatly want that. Check out his site www.teamtancredo.com

Pale Rider
06-08-2007, 08:01 PM
I just read more about Tancredo and I liked what I read, he is the only one with a strong stance on immigration and the people definatly want that. Check out his site www.teamtancredo.com

Aaaahhh.... have you missed my sig line? I'm a "member" of teamtancredo. I've donated to his campaign twice already, and I get daily news letters... :D

That'll change though if Newt gets in the race. I really like that guy.

Thanks for the thought though. :salute:

nevadamedic
06-08-2007, 08:04 PM
Aaaahhh.... have you missed my sig line? I'm a "member" of teamtancredo. I've donated to his campaign twice already, and I get daily news letters... :D

That'll change though if Newt gets in the race. I really like that guy.

Thanks for the thought though. :salute:

Hey, how come we always disagree and we dont get into it like you and Doni?

Pale Rider
06-08-2007, 08:08 PM
Hey, how come we always disagree and we dont get into it like you and Doni?

Because first off, I know for the most part you're a decent guy and pretty conservative. You don't smart ass me, so I don't smart ass you. doni is a first class horses ass. He's not very smart either. The things he says are mediocre at best, and not really worth reading. He's just here as a pool toy.

nevadamedic
06-08-2007, 08:23 PM
Because first off, I know for the most part you're a decent guy and pretty conservative. You don't smart ass me, so I don't smart ass you. doni is a first class horses ass. He's not very smart either. The things he says are mediocre at best, and not really worth reading. He's just here as a pool toy.

Hey I am the most Conservative guy you'll ever meet, just because I dont blush when two gay men are together doesn't mean I am less Conservative, im just tolerant. I was taught to respect everyone equally man,woman,black,white,gay,straight and yes even Liberal. I always smart ass you :laugh2:

Pool toy?

Im sure Doni is a decent guy somewhere, just not on here. I think he comes on here to get a reaction from certain people and he sure as hell does, and its fun for everyone all around.

Pale Rider
06-08-2007, 08:29 PM
Hey I am the most Conservative guy you'll ever meet, just because I dont blush when two gay men are together doesn't mean I am less Conservative, im just tolerant. I was taught to respect everyone equally man,woman,black,white,gay,straight and yes even Liberal. I always smart ass you :laugh2:
I was taught homosexuality is a perverse sickness. I find that still to be true. Tolerance isn't what's needed in my opinion. Homos need help, not tolerance. They need people to tell them they're sick, not that they're OK.

Pool toy?

Im sure Doni is a decent guy somewhere, just not on here. I think he comes on here to get a reaction from certain people and he sure as hell does, and its fun for everyone all around.
I think doniston is an old california hippie burnout homo. His light is dimming fast, and there isn't much left.

nevadamedic
06-08-2007, 08:35 PM
I was taught homosexuality is a perverse sickness. I find that still to be true. Tolerance isn't what's needed in my opinion. Homos need help, not tolerance. They need people to tell them they're sick, not that they're OK.

I think doniston is an old california hippie burnout homo. His light is dimming fast, and there isn't much left.

Maybe so, thats his right though.

Pale Rider
06-08-2007, 10:20 PM
Maybe so, thats his right though.

I don't know if calling it his "right" is acurate. I'd call it more like his "problem."

nevadamedic
06-08-2007, 10:26 PM
I don't know if calling it his "right" is acurate. I'd call it more like his "problem."

No, it's his right, were in a free country.

Pale Rider
06-08-2007, 10:45 PM
No, it's his right, were in a free country.

Well... whatever I guess. Then I guess it's his right to have a problem.

5stringJeff
06-09-2007, 11:08 AM

What Newt is doing is continuing to form the battle lines for control of the GOP. Currently, the Bush camp runs the GOP (of course), but they have been drifting away from traditional conservative values and towards neoconservatism as their defining policy. Newt is drawing a line in the sand, saying that the GOP should stick to what made it so successful in the 90's: specifically, small government, which is (unfortunately) anathema to the Bush camp.

The 2008 elections will essentially redefine the party. Newt's just trying to redefine it his way. I think he, Huckabee, and Thompson make a pretty strong triumvirate of traditional conservatives. Tancredo is still kind of a one-issue guy, but falls in to this camp as well. Mitt Romney may also be in here.

Doniston
06-09-2007, 11:58 AM
Hey, how come we always disagree and we dont get into it like you and Doni? mainly it is because Palerider is an unadulterated liar, as he has recently proven, but won't face up to it.

You are I disagree also, and we don't get into it like I do with that bastard Pale. he is a proven liar yet he accuses me of it, without proof.

Doniston
06-09-2007, 12:03 PM
Im sure Doni is a decent guy somewhere, just not on here. I think he comes on here to get a reaction from certain people and he sure as hell does, and its fun for everyone all around. Reference the Emboldened portion: I'm sorry you feel that way

also. No. I didn't come here to bait or insult, or get an adverse reaction from people, But I don't take crap from them either. and from the gitgo, Pale and two compatriots started throwing crap. instead of posting with civility. since then it has expanded to include One idiot who seems to think he is superior to everyone, and one Forum employee (so to speak), who thinks his sh1t don't stink.) but it does.

nevadamedic
06-09-2007, 12:10 PM
Reference the Emboldened portion: I'm sorry you feel that way

also. No. I didn't come here to bait or insult, or get an adverse reaction from people, But I don't take crap from them either. and from the gitgo, Pale and two compatriots started throwing crap. instead of posting with civility. since then it has expanded to include One idiot who seems to think he is superior to everyone, and one Forum employee (so to speak), who thinks his sh1t don't stink.) but it does.

Even with that said, I believe I know who both members you are talking abut are, when your not discussing with them on here, you are generally negative and insulting. Ive learned to look past it because I believe your a good person but you just need to show it.

Doniston
06-09-2007, 12:23 PM
Even with that said, I believe I know who both members you are talking abut are, when your not discussing with them on here, you are generally negative and insulting. Ive learned to look past it because I believe your a good person but you just need to show it. yes, you've made that clear before, but I have bassically overlook it because of your biasness (frendship ) with them. However, If you think I am insulting (other than when I am speaking to them). my best advise to you would be to stop responding to me. after all, I wouldn't want to distress you.

But perhaps you should consider the following. with your recent snde remarks to Palerider, have you not also been insulting? or (HEH HEH) "Just honest"??? Hypocritical????

musicman
06-09-2007, 02:18 PM
All I can say is that the Republican Party is at a crossroads with ME. Nixon, Ford, and both Bushes achieved ascendancy by playing it cute with conservative America - flashing the hope of adherence to conservative values until they got where they wanted to be, then showing their true colors.

I'm done. When the GOP selects its candidate, he'd better not try to play it the least bit cute. I want to hear straight, unabashed, common-sense conservatism, and I will turn my back on the Republican Party the first time I detect even a whiff of trickery. I will find and support a party that holds with my values, and - as far as I'm concerned - the GOP can pull its head out of its ass or die.

How bad do you want it, guys? You'd better start talking straight to conservative America.

Pale Rider
06-09-2007, 02:53 PM
mainly it is because Palerider is an unadulterated liar, as he has recently proven, but won't face up to it.

You are I disagree also, and we don't get into it like I do with that bastard Pale. he is a proven liar yet he accuses me of it, without proof.

You got caught lying twice, so you "THINK" calling me a liar will somehow vindicate you? Wrong keemosabee. You are a ragging lunatic old man, and need to go back and read through the neg rep thread before you embarrass yourself any further, moron.

nevadamedic
06-09-2007, 02:54 PM
All I can say is that the Republican Party is at a crossroads with ME. Nixon, Ford, and both Bushes achieved ascendancy by playing it cute with conservative America - flashing the hope of adherence to conservative values until they got where they wanted to be, then showing their true colors.

I'm done. When the GOP selects its candidate, he'd better not try to play it the least bit cute. I want to hear straight, unabashed, common-sense conservatism, and I will turn my back on the Republican Party the first time I detect even a whiff of trickery. I will find and support a party that holds with my values, and - as far as I'm concerned - the GOP can pull its head out of its ass or die.

How bad do you want it, guys? You'd better start talking straight to conservative America.

:slap:

Pale Rider
06-09-2007, 02:56 PM

I wholeheartedly agree mm. That's why Giuliani, pro abortion, and McCain, pro amnesty, are dead in the water to me. Newt so far has the best agenda. He's all for a major shake up in the republican party, and getting it back to true conservative values. And I WILL NOT vote republican either, unless I damn sure believe that conservatism is what they're about.

Pale Rider
06-09-2007, 02:59 PM
What Newt is doing is continuing to form the battle lines for control of the GOP. Currently, the Bush camp runs the GOP (of course), but they have been drifting away from traditional conservative values and towards neoconservatism as their defining policy. Newt is drawing a line in the sand, saying that the GOP should stick to what made it so successful in the 90's: specifically, small government, which is (unfortunately) anathema to the Bush camp.

The 2008 elections will essentially redefine the party. Newt's just trying to redefine it his way. I think he, Huckabee, and Thompson make a pretty strong triumvirate of traditional conservatives. Tancredo is still kind of a one-issue guy, but falls in to this camp as well. Mitt Romney may also be in here.

I just gotta give this post some more recognition Jeff. It's dead nuts on. :clap:

nevadamedic
06-09-2007, 03:07 PM
I wholeheartedly agree mm. That's why Giuliani, pro abortion, and McCain, pro amnesty, are dead in the water to me. Newt so far has the best agenda. He's all for a major shake up in the republican party, and getting it back to true conservative values. And I WILL NOT vote republican either, unless I damn sure believe that conservatism is what they're about.

musicman
06-09-2007, 03:10 PM

LOL - that's America on the left; the GOP on the right!

The Republican Party will listen, if they know what's good for them.

nevadamedic
06-09-2007, 03:12 PM
LOL - that's America on the left; the GOP on the right!

The Republican Party will listen, if they know what's good for them.

musicman
06-09-2007, 03:17 PM

That's cool, though; America will repeat itself as necessary. We've already said it once, you see - in November, 2006.

Pale Rider
06-09-2007, 03:19 PM

I don't get it. You think you could articulate with words instead?

Gaffer
06-09-2007, 03:20 PM
That's cool, though; America will repeat itself as necessary. We've already said it once, you see - in November, 2006.

And it will be said again in 08, not with dems getting in but independents.

Pale Rider
06-09-2007, 03:26 PM
And it will be said again in 08, not with dems getting in but independents.

That may be just what the country needs. If it isn't the right republican in the end running for President, I surely will NOT vote for him. I'll vote independent.

The repubs that are in office now are mostly a disappointment, from bush on down. I'm not up for another status quo president, and I think out of all the candidates we have now, Romney is the biggest status quo of them all.

nevadamedic
06-09-2007, 03:33 PM
I don't get it. You think you could articulate with words instead?

Naaaa, that smiley sums it up.

Gaffer
06-09-2007, 04:26 PM
That may be just what the country needs. If it isn't the right republican in the end running for President, I surely will NOT vote for him. I'll vote independent.

The repubs have that are in office now are mostly a disappointment, from bush on down. I'm not up for another status quo president, and I think out of all the candidates we have now, Romney is the biggest status quo of them all.

I agree, I'm not impressed with romney. He talks too much like a politician and we don't need anymore of them.

I'm wondering if Newt is just threatening to throw in to the election to shake up the party and will give his nod to Thompson/Tancredo.

nevadamedic
06-09-2007, 05:03 PM
I agree, I'm not impressed with romney. He talks too much like a politician and we don't need anymore of them.

I'm wondering if Newt is just threatening to throw in to the election to shake up the party and will give his nod to Thompson/Tancredo.

Newt was talking about running before and said he wouldn't run. As far as Romney, I like him but I think he will push his religious beliefs on us to much and thats not right.

06-09-2007, 05:47 PM
I hate to break with everyone here but Newt's rhetoric is seriously turning me off to him as a potential contender. I dont want to listen about how bad the future looks. I want an agenda with optimism. all I get from him lately is how bad things are.

Things are only bad if we make them so. It just seems to be the politically expediant thing to say how we are so bad. bull crap.

Gaffer
06-09-2007, 05:54 PM
Newt was talking about running before and said he wouldn't run. As far as Romney, I like him but I think he will push his religious beliefs on us to much and thats not right.

I agree, I don't want another religious president. A forgiving christian thinking president is not what we need now. We need one that's not afraid to say "Fuck You" to the petty dictators we have to put up with.

nevadamedic
06-09-2007, 06:57 PM
I agree, I don't want another religious president. A forgiving christian thinking president is not what we need now. We need one that's not afraid to say "Fuck You" to the petty dictators we have to put up with.

Actually he's Mormon.

Dilloduck
06-09-2007, 07:11 PM
I hate to break with everyone here but Newt's rhetoric is seriously turning me off to him as a potential contender. I dont want to listen about how bad the future looks. I want an agenda with optimism. all I get from him lately is how bad things are.

Things are only bad if we make them so. It just seems to be the politically expediant thing to say how we are so bad. bull crap.

Name me one candidate who is not saying what they think to be politically expedient.

5stringJeff
06-09-2007, 07:23 PM
Name me one candidate who is not saying what they think to be politically expedient.

Ron Paul.

Tom Tancredo also. There's a two-fer! :D

Dilloduck
06-09-2007, 07:34 PM
Ron Paul.

Tom Tancredo also. There's a two-fer! :D

Probably explains why they are both doing so poorly and speaking to very few issues.

nevadamedic
06-09-2007, 08:29 PM
Newt could be building himself up to get picked to run as VP.

Gaffer
06-09-2007, 08:34 PM
Newt's working on something, I'm just not sure what his strategy is.

musicman
06-10-2007, 12:11 PM

On a good day, though, you can honestly size up the crappiness of the present, while remaining upbeat about the future. Think Ronald Reagan.

That's the reason I've hung with the Republican Party so long - with so little apparent reason for doing so. The GOP has been, at least nominally, a home for conservatism. I've seen the power of true conservatism in action. Conservatism is simple common sense. Simple common sense is the enemy of liars and tyrants everywhere, and simple common sense shows that there IS reason for optimism. We can do any damn thing we put our minds to. If I may quote the aforementioned conservative gentleman himself:

"We are, after all, Americans".

06-10-2007, 05:39 PM
On a good day, though, you can honestly size up the crappiness of the present, while remaining upbeat about the future. Think Ronald Reagan.

That's the reason I've hung with the Republican Party so long - with so little apparent reason for doing so. The GOP has been, at least nominally, a home for conservatism. I've seen the power of true conservatism in action. Conservatism is simple common sense. Simple common sense is the enemy of liars and tyrants everywhere, and simple common sense shows that there IS reason for optimism. We can do any damn thing we put our minds to. If I may quote the aforementioned conservative gentleman himself:

"We are, after all, Americans".

See, I havent seen Newt doing that lately. Don't get me wrong, i like the guy generally. I just dont see him being optimistic or atleast communicating that lately.

06-10-2007, 05:40 PM

maybe this is a topic for another thread, but im actually rather curious what beliefs you think Romney is going to push on you.

Pale Rider
06-10-2007, 06:34 PM
Naaaa, that smiley sums it up.

Maybe for you... it leaves the rest of us scratching our heads wondering what the hell you're thinking.

Pale Rider
06-10-2007, 06:37 PM

I think Newt will run. I think he's waiting to see how things shake out with the present contenders. He said he'd announce sometime this fall. He'd still have plenty of time.

Pale Rider
06-10-2007, 06:39 PM

Well... I respectfully disagree pard. I think this present batch of republicans we have now are a grave disappointment, and Newt is exposing them as such. He says we need a big shake up, and to get back to our true conservative values. I couldn't agree more with that.

Dilloduck
06-10-2007, 07:27 PM
See, I havent seen Newt doing that lately. Don't get me wrong, i like the guy generally. I just dont see him being optimistic or atleast communicating that lately.

Newt speaks reality and if we keep heading down some of the roads we are on, the future WILL suck.

06-10-2007, 07:48 PM
Newt speaks reality and if we keep heading down some of the roads we are on, the future WILL suck.

i see some rough roads, but i see hope. And i think hope is vital for leadership.

Gunny
06-10-2007, 07:58 PM

Why do you want a liberal as President?

Dilloduck
06-10-2007, 08:10 PM
i see some rough roads, but i see hope. And i think hope is vital for leadership.

Newt's not a liberal gadfly with no answers. He accurately points out dangers AND offers solutions. His biggest fault may be the voters can't recognize him if he doesn't act like your run-of-the-mill politican.

Pale Rider
06-10-2007, 11:42 PM
Newt's not a liberal gadfly with no answers. He accurately points out dangers AND offers solutions. His biggest fault may be the voters can't recognize him if he doesn't act like your run-of-the-mill politican.

Seriously, I think Newt is the most straight talker about how the republican party has screwed up as of late, and what we need to do to get back on track. All he needs to do is start getting that message out there, and I think he'll have widespread support. He's definitely got mine.

nevadamedic
06-10-2007, 11:44 PM
Why do you want a liberal as President?

Guiliani is not a Liberal. Like I sasid the only Liberal in this race that would be ok in office is Dodd.

Pale Rider
06-10-2007, 11:47 PM
Guiliani is not a Liberal. Like I sasid the only Liberal in this race that would be ok in office is Dodd.

As a pro abortion, anti gun person, he definitely has liberal beliefs.

People like him, but when it comes right down to it, he doesn't stand a chance as a "true" conservative in this race. He'd be better off running as an independent.

CockySOB
06-11-2007, 06:15 AM

Newt definitely has more charisma than the rest of teh Republicans who've announced their intentions for the Whitehouse in 2008 - excepting Thompson of course.

JohnDoe
06-11-2007, 06:44 AM
fred thompson has a trophy wife, 30 years his younger, which will be exploited by the media, and not bear well with the social conservatives imo.

As Rudy does not stand a chance with the social conservatives imo.

Newt is smart as a whip, but he too has alot of social issues like his affairs and treatment of ex wife with cancer that could come to haunt him with these social conservatives that are in general Republican voters, again imo.

the social conservative could sit out, maybe?

Pale Rider
06-11-2007, 09:13 AM
fred thompson has a trophy wife, 30 years his younger, which will be exploited by the media, and not bear well with the social conservatives imo.

As Rudy does not stand a chance with the social conservatives imo.

Newt is smart as a whip, but he too has alot of social issues like his affairs and treatment of ex wife with cancer that could come to haunt him with these social conservatives that are in general Republican voters, again imo.

the social conservative could sit out, maybe?

Fred Thompson hasn't said or done anything to spark my interest. His poll support is kind of a mystery to me.

Newts "problems," I don't think will effect him at all. I don't care what's happened with his wife, lover, whatever, just so long as he keeps it out of the White House Oval Office like that sexual predator slick willie.

gabosaurus
06-11-2007, 03:57 PM
Doesn't matter who the GOP nominate in 2008. Since they won't be able to use the "fear another 9-11, don't be soft on terror" platform again, they are doomed. Republicans are all fatally linked to failed Bush policies.

Dems will win the White House and close to a two-thirds majority in Congress. Limbaugh and Hannity will both look for Saddam-ish holes in the ground to hide for the next eight years. Fox will shift from political nonsense to advocating boob transplants and the search for any blond white girls that go missing.

06-11-2007, 05:42 PM
Doesn't matter who the GOP nominate in 2008. Since they won't be able to use the "fear another 9-11, don't be soft on terror" platform again, they are doomed. Republicans are all fatally linked to failed Bush policies.

Dems will win the White House and close to a two-thirds majority in Congress. Limbaugh and Hannity will both look for Saddam-ish holes in the ground to hide for the next eight years. Fox will shift from political nonsense to advocating boob transplants and the search for any blond white girls that go missing.

other than immigration and poor spending, do you even know one Bush failed policy?

i think you are overly confident of the strength of your position. thats pretty dangerous for someone whose position is "Bush sucks" on everything.

Pale Rider
06-11-2007, 05:43 PM

Hmmm... warped as it is, I guess you do have a sense of humor after all.

JohnDoe
06-12-2007, 12:08 AM
Fred Thompson hasn't said or done anything to spark my interest. His poll support is kind of a mystery to me.

Newts "problems," I don't think will effect him at all. I don't care what's happened with his wife, lover, whatever, just so long as he keeps it out of the White House Oval Office like that sexual predator slick willie.i am not certain what the hellabalou is with thompson either?

I don't know why you would think it wouldn't occur again with Newt, his last bout with infidelity was in the halls of congress with a subordinate, an employee, i believe? The whitehouse is no more sacred than Congress?

I'm not saying he isn't the smartest republican that could be running, just that i bet he can't keep it zipped while in the WH either, he ain't any more ''moral'' than slick Willy imo.

nevadamedic
06-12-2007, 12:57 AM
Newt definitely has more charisma than the rest of teh Republicans who've announced their intentions for the Whitehouse in 2008 - excepting Thompson of course.

And Tancredo

06-12-2007, 02:40 AM

charisma isnt exactly what comes to mind when i think of Newt. Brilliances, yes... but not really charisma. But then Newt isnt running on Charisma, he would be running on ideas.

Pale Rider
06-12-2007, 04:20 PM
i am not certain what the hellabalou is with thompson either?

I don't know why you would think it wouldn't occur again with Newt, his last bout with infidelity was in the halls of congress with a subordinate, an employee, i believe? The whitehouse is no more sacred than Congress?

I not saying he isn't the smartest republican that could be running, just that i bet he can't keep it zipped while in the WH either, he ain't any more ''moral'' than slick Willy imo.

Well... I think he could. I think he's smart enough to have learned his lesson. He's not exactly a spring chicken anymore, and I highly doubt chasing women putting his career in jeopardy for a second time would be a mistake he'd readily make.

Gunny
06-12-2007, 05:56 PM

Newts "problems," I don't think will effect him at all. I don't care what's happened with his wife, lover, whatever, just so long as he keeps it out of the White House Oval Office like that sexual predator slick willie.

The fact that Thompson is a conservative in a field of posers definitely sparks MY interest. IMO, he has the best chance of ANY of the Republican candidates of carrying both the traditional and moderate conservative votes; which, would mean a GOP win.

The rest lose out on one or the other.

The mystery to me are the so-called conservatives pushing Guiliani. The guy's a liberal posing as a conservative.

Pale Rider
06-12-2007, 06:50 PM
The fact that Thompson is a conservative in a field of posers definitely sparks MY interest. IMO, he has the best chance of ANY of the Republican candidates of carrying both the traditional and moderate conservative votes; which, would mean a GOP win.

The rest lose out on one or the other.

The mystery to me are the so-called conservatives pushing Guiliani. The guy's a liberal posing as a conservative.

ITO. All this pushing Giuliani is just pissing me off. There is no way in hell I'd ever vote for the guy, and wish they'd quit pushing him as the "front runner." He is NOT a conservative, and I don't want him for President. Thompson would be much better. Gingrich/Thompson, or Tancredo, would be an ultimate ticket.