PDA

View Full Version : Just a thought....

Trinity
08-25-2013, 03:37 PM
As I am sitting here revisiting my conversations I had last night with some people that came over for my birthday party, half of them I had never met before....

The topic of conversations: Obama, The Star Spangled Banner.

I realized that all of my friends are 10 or more years younger than I am including my husband. But yet when I was younger all of my friends were 10 or more years older than I was.

So with that being said I completely understand where I may need to educate someone younger then myself, who may not be aware of something.

I have also realized that every women I have ever met, and had any kind of in depth conversation with in the past 5 years, that happens to be in their early to mid 50's seem to be clueless when it comes to anything outside of their immediate family or circle of friends.

It makes me wonder, why did we have so much in common when I was 18 to 28? But now that I am 43, we got nothing.

I should not have to educate you in the fact that there are 4 versus in the star spangled banner. Nor should I have to educate you in who you voted for. Why didn't you do your research before you voted. Don't bitch now, to late, you made your choice deal with it.

Just a thought.... :coffee:

aboutime
08-25-2013, 04:02 PM
Trinity. Happy Birthday again, by the way.

Your discussion and questions are...as my wife and I have recently discovered while just talking about how the world and people have changed...can only be...We are just getting older, and have become dependent upon all of the things we learned while growing up, and Living Life.

While, as you said. People younger than you (and both of us) have no needs to be informed, or more educated for any reason...outside of their immediate Sphere of People with whom they think, are their friends.

At the same time. While we grow older. It finally hits you when...you realize many of the people you knew when younger...are either dying off, or have gone out of our lives to live their own life...doing things we have nothing in common with anymore.
Bottom line. It's nothing more than US staying active, concerned, and aware of the world around us. While those we once called friends have NO IDEA, nor DO THEY CARE what is happening in the World unless...IT DIRECTLY AFFECTS THEIR POCKETBOOK, or how they are ENTERTAINED.

Just ask those people you were with about the politics we talk about here, or ask them questions about Government, or the Constitution and....9 times out of 10.
I BET....YOU GET BLANK STARES, or...they admit "I DON'T CARE ABOUT STUFF LIKE THAT!"

Try it. You'll see.

Gaffer
08-25-2013, 04:08 PM
Good thing I wasn't there. You would probably have less friends. Hopefully you opened a few eyes. You have experienced a microcosm of the rest of the country.

Abbey Marie
08-25-2013, 07:31 PM
Trinity, did you make the first move and start any deeper conversations? I know that I often am reluctant to do that, as discussions about politics and religion (for example), can make for a very strained evening. I remember thinking about this very thing when we were very involved with music at out daughter's high school. We parents socialized quite a bit after competitions, to the movies, dinners, etc. Both the moms AND the dads kept the conversations very superficial. To this day, I couldn't tell you what these people thought about any serious issues. That's not necessarily a bad thing in mixed political company. And may be why we enjoy coming to the Internet to speak our minds more freely on such topics.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
08-25-2013, 07:41 PM
Trinity, did you make the first move and start any deeper conversations? I know that I often am reluctant to do that, as discussions politics and religion, for example, can make for a very strained evening. I remember thinking about this very thing when we were very involved with music at out daughter's high school. We parents socialized quite a bit after competitions, to the movies, dinners, etc. Both the moms AND the dads kept the conversations very superficial. To this day, I couldn't tell you what these people thought about any serious issues. That's not necessarily a bad thing in mixed political company. And may be why we enjoy coming to the Internet to speak our minds more freely on such topics. Most likely a wise move to do that. However I swore an oath that prevents me from doing so. Already in my nature to be contentious so my always speaking up and out loudly is not a strain. A few times for me daughter's sake I've held back but always later deeply regretted it. Also true is it gets one listed as crazy, stupid, ignorant, troublemaker, liar, fool, jackass, dumbass, scum and many other negative names. Which is funny to me because those names perfectly fit the idiots calling me that... :laugh: And none of them do so to my face but do speak to others about it. Cowards fits most of them too! --Tyr

Abbey Marie
08-25-2013, 07:45 PM
Most likely a wise move to do that. However I swore an oath that prevents me from doing so. Already in my nature to be contentious so my always speaking up and out loudly is not a strain. A few times for me daughter's sake I've held back but always later deeply regretted it. Also true is it gets one listed as crazy, stupid, ignorant, troublemaker, liar, fool, jackass, dumbass, scum and many other negative names. Which is funny to me because those names perfectly fit the idiots calling me that... :laugh: And none of them do so to my face but do speak to others about it. Cowards fits most of them too! --Tyr

Tyr, I have a feeling an evening with you guys would be a lot of fun. As long as you don't get into any fistfights! :cool:

Gaffer
08-25-2013, 07:51 PM
I'm pretty sure she did some education on people. Especially since it was her birthday she surely had a few drinks. If any disagreed with her I'm sure they kept their mouth shut cause she would have stated as many examples as needed, and even got online to prove her point. She won't tolerate stupidity. She will tolerate ignorance when she can help remove it. Someone that choses to remain ignorant moves into the realm of stupid.

Perianne
08-25-2013, 09:10 PM
I have also realized that every women I have ever met, and had any kind of in depth conversation with in the past 5 years, that happens to be in their early to mid 50's seem to be clueless when it comes to anything outside of their immediate family or circle of friends.

Don't include this girl in that. I stay, and have always stayed, very knowledgeable about the state of politics.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
08-25-2013, 09:22 PM
Tyr, I have a feeling an evening with you guys would be a lot of fun. As long as you don't get into any fistfights! :cool: I promise you it would be that for sure! Would not allow it if you were there. The fighting I mean...-;) --:beer:--Tyr

red state
08-25-2013, 11:48 PM
Don't include this girl in that. I stay, and have always stayed, very knowledgeable about the state of politics.
Perianne, those with knowledge and wisdom often apply respect and detail when discussing things with others. These traits are not found within liberals (male or female) so I would like to ask; would that knowledge you mentioned stretch into the realm of extremely politicized topics such as hunting? I am asking because of a question you asked on one such thread where out of the blues, you asked if WE hunters killed and ate dog. I may be wrong here but the tone detected was one that either expressed intolerance of our RIGHTS/heritage or, as Abbey so eloquently put it, a CLUELESS state of mind found in some women...perhaps, even in such women or MOST women. It would seem that the eating of dog question/comment was certainly clueless...possibly even vindictive, so please verify that you are aware of the benefits and integrity of hunting and that most AMERICAN Sportsmen do not, in factual common knowledge, hunt, kill and eat dog. At the very least, please inform me that you were making some sort of a meaningless, extremely off topic joke because I'd hate to think that you were simply leaving that topic with an insult to those who hunt only to leave the thread high and dry. If so, your comment offered no retaliation and it certainly didn't offer the respect that should have been provided (IF) you wish to confront someone for a point of view dealing with hunting. I believe you were treated with the respect and I truly hope that your comment within the BOWHUNTING thread is not a poster child for the very type of women discussed in this thread.

I am trying to know where you stand because I have actually enjoyed many of your posts. I simply appreciate knowing where one stands without misreading any animosity that may or may not be in play. From there, and especially since you are a new member, I can better understand your point of view and what to expect in other threads from here on out.

~Thanks

Kathianne
08-26-2013, 12:52 AM
As I am sitting here revisiting my conversations I had last night with some people that came over for my birthday party, half of them I had never met before....

The topic of conversations: Obama, The Star Spangled Banner.

I realized that all of my friends are 10 or more years younger than I am including my husband. But yet when I was younger all of my friends were 10 or more years older than I was.

So with that being said I completely understand where I may need to educate someone younger then myself, who may not be aware of something.

It makes me wonder, why did we have so much in common when I was 18 to 28? But now that I am 43, we got nothing.

I should not have to educate you in the fact that there are 4 versus in the star spangled banner. Nor should I have to educate you in who you voted for. Why didn't you do your research before you voted. Don't bitch now, to late, you made your choice deal with it.

Just a thought.... :coffee:

I fit those parameters, I think. Though I'm pretty sure we've been conversing for more than 5 years? Abbey too.

I've an imperfect model for what you speak of. The left is built primarily from two ends, the very privileged upper end with expected education and creds, and the lower socioeconomic groups, that 'want stuff.' The first wants to the other to get stuff and in fairness, want the 'rich' to pay, which one would assume means themselves. However, they also stay true to course and avail themselves to every loophole their accountants can find.

Then there are the 'rich' conservatives, who off the bat are for smaller government, lower taxes, less involvement of government in all forms into business and private lives. However, dig a bit and you find these folks often own businesses that hire the homeless, give huge amounts of dollars to charities, and are often found in unemployment offices offering both jobs and skills to learn to be hired.

I get annoyed I admit to the posts and threads that project the right as discriminatory, they reflect badly on the majority of conservatives. We just don't think the FEDERAL government is the best at educating or addressing the problems of the most vulnerable; be they young, aged, developmentally challenged.

Perianne
08-26-2013, 01:19 AM
Perianne, those with knowledge and wisdom often apply respect and detail when discussing things with others. These traits are not found within liberals (male or female) so I would like to ask; would that knowledge you mentioned stretch into the realm of extremely politicized topics such as hunting? I am asking because of a question you asked on one such thread where out of the blues, you asked if WE hunters killed and ate dog. I may be wrong here but the tone detected was one that either expressed intolerance of our RIGHTS/heritage or, as Abbey so eloquently put it, a CLUELESS state of mind found in some women...perhaps, even in such women or MOST women. It would seem that the eating of dog question/comment was certainly clueless...possibly even vindictive, so please verify that you are aware of the benefits and integrity of hunting and that most AMERICAN Sportsmen do not, in factual common knowledge, hunt, kill and eat dog. At the very least, please inform me that you were making some sort of a meaningless, extremely off topic joke because I'd hate to think that you were simply leaving that topic with an insult to those who hunt only to leave the thread high and dry. If so, your comment offered no retaliation and it certainly didn't offer the respect that should have been provided (IF) you wish to confront someone for a point of view dealing with hunting. I believe you were treated with the respect and I truly hope that your comment within the BOWHUNTING thread is not a poster child for the very type of women discussed in this thread.

I am trying to know where you stand because I have actually enjoyed many of your posts. I simply appreciate knowing where one stands without misreading any animosity that may or may not be in play. From there, and especially since you are a new member, I can better understand your point of view and what to expect in other threads from here on out.

~Thanks

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I despise Obama and the question about killing and eating dogs was a shot at him. (He ate dogs). I thought other conservatives would get what I was saying. My attempts at humor sometimes fall flat, or in this case can be misunderstood. I meant no disrespect towards you or anyone else. Remember, I am blonde!

Trust me when I tell you, I am a southern girl through and through. Hunting is fine; just not for me. But I don't knock those who do it as long as they eat what they shoot. If someone, anyone, just shoots animals for the fun of it and leaves them in the field, then I think that person is rotten. I grew up extremely poor. We ate anything we could get, including by hunting. I have even eaten roadkill.

P.S. Eating what they shoot...... reminds me of a joke, lol.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
08-26-2013, 10:25 AM
Bravo.... :beer:. GLAD YOU CLEARED THAT UP. I too grew up very poor. And yes we killed wild game to feed our family. A SOUTHERN GAL HUH? Always was drawn to Southern gals, especially when they were at the local swimming spot wearing bikinis. ;)--Tyr

Perianne
08-26-2013, 10:33 AM
Bravo.... :beer:. GLAD YOU CLEARED THAT UP. I too grew up very poor. And yes we killed wild game to feed our family. A SOUTHERN GAL HUH? Always was drawn to Southern gals, especially when they were at the local swimming spot wearing bikinis. ;)--Tyr

Yep. Southern girl from Kentucky. I was born in Finland and immigrated here when I was three.

BTW, I'm in my fifties and can still wear a bikini! Good genetics.

logroller
08-26-2013, 11:52 AM
Sorry for the misunderstanding. I despise Obama and the question about killing and eating dogs was a shot at him. (He ate dogs). I thought other conservatives would get what I was saying. My attempts at humor sometimes fall flat, or in this case can be misunderstood. I meant no disrespect towards you or anyone else. Remember, I am blonde!

Trust me when I tell you, I am a southern girl through and through. Hunting is fine; just not for me. But I don't knock those who do it as long as they eat what they shoot. If someone, anyone, just shoots animals for the fun of it and leaves them in the field, then I think that person is rotten. I grew up extremely poor. We ate anything we could get, including by hunting. I have even eaten roadkill.

P.S. Eating what they shoot...... reminds me of a joke, lol.

I see what you meant, its all in good fun, right? However, and correct me if I'm wrong, Obama ate dog in Indonesia where its culturally acceptable to do so. In the broader discussion of tolerance and whatever universal truth may exist in regards to the ethics of killing animals to survive, poking fun at Obama for eating dog seems hypocritical coming from anyone who's not vegan.
it seems to me that falling back on "it's my heritage/right" etc is just a convenient excuse, not valid reasoning. For example, why can I hunt quail/duck/pheasant/dove and not mockingbirds/orioles/raven? Seems no different than cow/pig and not dogs/cats.

Dont get me wrong, I love a good ribeye, but I'm not gonna bust someone's balls over their affinity for menudo. If that's their thing, so be it. That's the conservative position IMHO.

http://youtu.be/u8UE4P8kB-c

Trinity
08-26-2013, 07:49 PM
Trinity, did you make the first move and start any deeper conversations? I know that I often am reluctant to do that, as discussions about politics and religion (for example), can make for a very strained evening. I remember thinking about this very thing when we were very involved with music at out daughter's high school. We parents socialized quite a bit after competitions, to the movies, dinners, etc. Both the moms AND the dads kept the conversations very superficial. To this day, I couldn't tell you what these people thought about any serious issues. That's not necessarily a bad thing in mixed political company. And may be why we enjoy coming to the Internet to speak our minds more freely on such topics.

Yep sure did....add alcohol to the mix and people tend to be honest....that's when I find out way more then they probably intended.

Trinity
08-26-2013, 07:51 PM
I'm pretty sure she did some education on people. Especially since it was her birthday she surely had a few drinks. If any disagreed with her I'm sure they kept their mouth shut cause she would have stated as many examples as needed, and even got online to prove her point. She won't tolerate stupidity. She will tolerate ignorance when she can help remove it. Someone that choses to remain ignorant moves into the realm of stupid.

lmao you know me too well!!! :laugh:

Trinity
08-26-2013, 07:59 PM
I fit those parameters, I think. Though I'm pretty sure we've been conversing for more than 5 years? Abbey too.

I've an imperfect model for what you speak of. The left is built primarily from two ends, the very privileged upper end with expected education and creds, and the lower socioeconomic groups, that 'want stuff.' The first wants to the other to get stuff and in fairness, want the 'rich' to pay, which one would assume means themselves. However, they also stay true to course and avail themselves to every loophole their accountants can find.

Then there are the 'rich' conservatives, who off the bat are for smaller government, lower taxes, less involvement of government in all forms into business and private lives. However, dig a bit and you find these folks often own businesses that hire the homeless, give huge amounts of dollars to charities, and are often found in unemployment offices offering both jobs and skills to learn to be hired.

I get annoyed I admit to the posts and threads that project the right as discriminatory, they reflect badly on the majority of conservatives. We just don't think the FEDERAL government is the best at educating or addressing the problems of the most vulnerable; be they young, aged, developmentally challenged.

Yes you are right, but I also think highly of you and abbey, you both are logical and have common sense and I actually have no idea your or abbey's ages, so I can't classify you in that area. I know that you are both close to my age but you two actually do your research. The people I am referring to just seem to not get the fact that anything can be researched if one takes the time....but one also has to want to take the time to educate themselves and not just from the first source they find. I guess I just don't get why people would choose to be ignorant in today's world with the technology and resources we have available.