PDA

View Full Version : 9/11 Memorial

jackass
01-24-2007, 10:24 PM
I just read how some of the families of the victims of the NY 9/11 trajedy dont like the plans of the memorial. How much say should they have in it? I would like to think that they should have almost the most say, but I know there are alot of people and you cant please everyone. Any thoughts?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070124/ap_on_re_us/attacks_memorial

jillian
01-24-2007, 10:36 PM
I just read how some of the families of the victims of the NY 9/11 trajedy dont like the plans of the memorial. How much say should they have in it? I would like to think that they should have almost the most say, but I know there are alot of people and you cant please everyone. Any thoughts?

I think they've had a very long time to give input. They've had their say. Not everyone is going to get their way. They need to start letting it go and accept what is.

jackass
01-24-2007, 10:50 PM
On one hand I agree, but I try to put myself in their position and would want it to be perfect. There are some things that I would really like to be there. I think age is on of them. I also dont think that I would like all of the companies to be named together. Thats just bad taste in my humble opinion.

jillian
01-24-2007, 10:58 PM
You know, I'm very sympathetic to them. I really am. And I wouldn't wish that type of loss on anyone... not even my worst enemy. Plus, I don't think there's anyone I know who doesn't know someone who died that day. Luckily, the people I knew personally all made it out of the area.

But, ultimately, they suffered a terrible loss... but no different from the loss anyone suffers whose loved one dies suddenly at the hands of a murderer. I don't mean that to sound insensitive, but what made that attack different was the effectiveness of it. I just don't think that should give greater weight to the individual losses. I hope I'm being clear and not sounding mean about it. The attack hit everyone very hard.

What I *do* think is that nothing should be built there other than the memorial because a) it's the final resting place of 3,000 people and b) I think anything they build is going to be a target and I wouldn't work there for all the money in the world.

manu1959
01-24-2007, 11:07 PM

as much as the person designing it wants them to have....it is not about them anyway it is about the people that are dead

jackass
01-24-2007, 11:10 PM
I think the effectiveness of the attack is what does make it different from someone who has been murdered. The wide ranging effects are the other. I understand why you wouldnt want anything else built there, but I on the other hand would love to see a tower built 1 story higher!!

Mr. P
01-24-2007, 11:16 PM
as much as the person designing it wants them to have....it is not about them anyway it is about the people that are dead

And the family that was attacked, the American family.

manu1959
01-24-2007, 11:20 PM
And the family that was attacked, the American family.

true ..... having done designs for memorials and competitions...kent state for example.... the best memorial design are ones that are not designed by committee and compromise

Mr. P
01-24-2007, 11:26 PM
true ..... having done designs for memorials and competitions...kent state for example.... the best memorial design are ones that are not designed by committee and compromise

You did Kent state? My uncle was broadcasting on the college radio station the day that happened..small world.

manu1959
01-24-2007, 11:30 PM
You did Kent state? My uncle was broadcasting on the college radio station the day that happened..small world.

i did a design .... my entry lost.....they said it was too focused on the kids that were shot.....

Mr. P
01-24-2007, 11:33 PM
i did a design .... my entry lost.....they said it was too focused on the kids that were shot.....

I hope you saved it..something to look back on ya know?