PDA

View Full Version : Will This Pizza Man Get Fired For Defending Himself On The Job?

Jeff
08-27-2013, 09:49 PM
Well yes it is company policy not to carry a gun but it looks like in this case the ex police officer wasn't carrying it on him and what is in his car should be his business, if the law says he can carry a weapon in his car than the rule the Domino's has should only count on if he is carrying it on his person. And if the law says no guns in the car and the guy did so anyway more power to him it is better to be judged by 6 than carried by 6 .

Companies might claim it’s for liability reasons that they have a strict no guns policy. It seems they’d rather have to deal with a dead or injured employee rather than a dead or injured innocent bystander who (or whose family) might sue the company for damages. Employees are expendable. If one of them dies as a result of an armed robbery, the company can very easily replace him. And everything’s under contract. As long as an employee understands the risks of the job and agrees not to carry any weapons while on the job, the company can’t be held liable for deaths or injuries resulting from robberies or other criminal encounters. Well, people can try to sue, but the company will likely win. But this rather callous policy also lands some companies in hot water with their customers. It’s not uncommon in these robbery situations where an employee disobeyed his employer’s rules and carried a gun for his own protection and used it on a would-be criminal. And in those cases, having the gun for protection saved the life of the employee. But when word would get back to the manager, the employee would find himself out of a job for violating company policy.

http://lastresistance.com/3091/will-pizza-man-get-fired-defending-job/

DragonStryk72
08-27-2013, 10:50 PM
Well yes it is company policy not to carry a gun but it looks like in this case the ex police officer wasn't carrying it on him and what is in his car should be his business, if the law says he can carry a weapon in his car than the rule the Domino's has should only count on if he is carrying it on his person. And if the law says no guns in the car and the guy did so anyway more power to him it is better to be judged by 6 than carried by 6 .

Companies might claim it’s for liability reasons that they have a strict no guns policy. It seems they’d rather have to deal with a dead or injured employee rather than a dead or injured innocent bystander who (or whose family) might sue the company for damages. Employees are expendable. If one of them dies as a result of an armed robbery, the company can very easily replace him. And everything’s under contract. As long as an employee understands the risks of the job and agrees not to carry any weapons while on the job, the company can’t be held liable for deaths or injuries resulting from robberies or other criminal encounters. Well, people can try to sue, but the company will likely win. But this rather callous policy also lands some companies in hot water with their customers. It’s not uncommon in these robbery situations where an employee disobeyed his employer’s rules and carried a gun for his own protection and used it on a would-be criminal. And in those cases, having the gun for protection saved the life of the employee. But when word would get back to the manager, the employee would find himself out of a job for violating company policy.

http://lastresistance.com/3091/will-pizza-man-get-fired-defending-job/

Hmm.... while I'm never a fan of a company telling their delivery folks they're not allowed self-defense, I think he's technically in the wrong here. See, the problem with a delivery driver is that their car, while on shift, is a part of their workplace. In fact, on a busy night, it's where the driver's at most.

However, self-defense is one of the most basic human rights in existence- life. I couldn't make you agree, even under contract, that you are not allowed to defend yourself in my home. If I, or someone else went after you with a weapon, the courts would immediately bounce that agreement, as obviously, your life was on the line.

These agreements are against the entire spirit of the Constitution, depriving the liberty of people to defend their life from an attacker.

red state
08-27-2013, 11:07 PM
Hhhhmmmmmm......I believe I will simply avoid businesses who are obvious idiots. The guy was TOTALLY in the right. Screw them and any liberal who even mentions these liberal doe flippers aren't in the wrong/left. Another STRIKE against our rights....

logroller
08-27-2013, 11:23 PM
I'd rather find myself unemployed than dead.

red state
08-27-2013, 11:28 PM
EXACTLY!!! There's too man good pizza co. out there without having to scarf down one of those pitiful excuses for pizza anyway. I'd make my own before I supported them.

Jeff
08-28-2013, 04:57 AM
Hmm.... while I'm never a fan of a company telling their delivery folks they're not allowed self-defense, I think he's technically in the wrong here. See, the problem with a delivery driver is that their car, while on shift, is a part of their workplace. In fact, on a busy night, it's where the driver's at most.
Even though the owner of the car pays all insurances and car payments , repairs.... I was under the impression that they could say you can't carry on your person but in my car I will do as the law of the state says
However, self-defense is one of the most basic human rights in existence- life. I couldn't make you agree, even under contract, that you are not allowed to defend yourself in my home. If I, or someone else went after you with a weapon, the courts would immediately bounce that agreement, as obviously, your life was on the line.
of course, everyone should have the right to protect themselves, quite honestly i couldn't work for a company that would rather see me dead than have to deal with legal issues
These agreements are against the entire spirit of the Constitution, depriving the liberty of people to defend their life from an attacker.
Agreed

I'd rather find myself unemployed than dead.
Absolutely, better to be judged by 6 than carried by 6

EXACTLY!!! There's too man good pizza co. out there without having to scarf down one of those pitiful excuses for pizza anyway. I'd make my own before I supported them.Yes there pizza stinks anyway that is a stone cold fact, in fact I think my brothers may be heading south soon and they had better bring real pizza and of course a couple bagels LOL

This whole thing is messed up , how can a company rather see there employees hurt or even killed rather than have to deal with legal issues , so much for being loyal to your employees

fj1200
08-28-2013, 07:46 AM
Another STRIKE against our rights....

You still have your rights, you also have the right to NOT work for them.

This whole thing is messed up , how can a company rather see there employees hurt or even killed rather than have to deal with legal issues , so much for being loyal to your employees

To whom do they owe a higher standard of care? Of course an enterprising individual would take the initiative and start-up Packin' Heat Pizza. They have a built in motto (and alibi), "That's not blood, that's pizza sauce."

Jeff
08-28-2013, 08:21 AM
You still have your rights, you also have the right to NOT work for them.

To whom do they owe a higher standard of care? Of course an enterprising individual would take the initiative and start-up Packin' Heat Pizza. They have a built in motto (and alibi), "That's not blood, that's pizza sauce."

fj as sad as that sounds about the blood I use to deliver pizza's years ago in Sumitt NJ and I also worked for the D.O.T. during the day so I had boots in the back seat with Asphalt all over them and of course rocks and such on the floor , I remember one time I was going to a house and had a guy cut me off I slammed the breaks on and missed the car but the pizza flew forward and I had melted cheese all over my floor and boots ( those where the days before the hot boxes so ya had to rush to get it there hot) well I was tired and decided to just put the pizza back together LOL , rocks and all, when I got back to the pizza place I was feeling guilty and told them about it figuring we would make another and deliver it for free but in the mean time the people called and complimented me on my fast delivery time and also how good the pizza was , LOL, go figure

DragonStryk72
08-28-2013, 05:15 PM
Even though the owner of the car pays all insurances and car payments , repairs.... I was under the impression that they could say you can't carry on your person but in my car I will do as the law of the state says

Agreed

Absolutely, better to be judged by 6 than carried by 6

Actually, there was this study done some years ago that showed an increase in the chance of a worker fatality occurring in these situations, and that's what employers are using as the reasoning. It isn't really reliability, but safety.

The issue, though, is that the fatalities generally occur in workers who had no training in the use of firearms, so it may simply be more of an issue of training. However, thanks to the knee-jerk reaction people and companies go with these days, they decided it was the guns and not the training that were at issue.

But yeah, it's going to depend on whether a judge sees the vehicle as a part of the workplace as a delivery driver, or not, and there are arguments for both sides on this. One the hand, like you bring up, the driver is responsible for care and maintenance, but on the other, the car also carries the company's logo on it, with the driver light that gets put on top, so you are acting as their representative while driving around. Then there's the "Well it was on your person when you fired it" argument.